Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Samara

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby Samara » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:41 am

Jwmcalli wrote:So I figure I'll jump in with my first post at this point. I was pretty well set on NU as my top choice from the start, and had not expected to get in (95% work experience not in my favor as I'm coming straight out of undergrad). Needless to say, the excitement at getting in has NOT worn off, but now this whole Scholarship business has completely thrown me for a loop that I hadn't even considered. I've gotten great offers from slightly lower tier schools (USC, Vandy, UCLA, WashU), and now a solid one from Duke, all of which make them seem pretty appealing in ways they hadn't before. Anyone else sitting around waiting for NU's painfully vague "late March" to get here? (The 20th is late isn't it?) Misery needs company, and I'm 100% sick of these loose deadline waiting games that plague the application process beginning with the LSAT. Also, no one wants to talk about law school that isn't going, so I'm trying my luck here.

:( :?: :x

Finally, does anyone know if they offer deferred admission scholarships less than the 150k ones I keep reading about (pretty sure I can safely count myself out of that based on the lower scope Duke's offer)? Well anyway, I REALLY REALLY hope I'll be joining you all in the class of 2015, and I hope this post isn't too out of nowhere.

Thanks!

Welcome and congrats on your cycle! Yes, we are all waiting on pins and needles for the scholarship offers to be released, though I think many of us aren't expecting any money. Last year the offers were released on March 23, so they should come out this week. Johann said yesterday that they were 81% of the way through the applicant pool, so maybe they won't make offers until the applicant pool is complete?

AFAIK, the full rides are the only deferred scholarships they offer. They must like you though to offer you admission without WE!

Feel free to ask questions, complain, exalt, etc. We're a pretty friendly bunch.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:12 pm

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:14 pm

Kikero wrote:Hey hey! Look who's #1 :P

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1
You do know that's from 2 years ago, right?
This year we are #2
Last year we were #8
your link is the year before that

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:24 pm

Oh. :? I thought it had just been updated, since the link I had where NU was #2 isn't working anymore. My mistake.

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:28 pm

Kikero wrote:Oh. :? I thought it had just been updated, since the link I had where NU was #2 isn't working anymore. My mistake.

NU's usually been pretty good about biglaw recruiting (consensus seems to be that it's due to the more experienced student body it attracts). Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like they rarely fall out of the top 10 in terms of % of class getting biglaw?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:30 pm

Kikero wrote:Oh. :? I thought it had just been updated, since the link I had where NU was #2 isn't working anymore. My mistake.

They don't update the page every year. They just create a new article (and some of those articles are gone as evinced by the fact that the link for some years is a secondary source):

bk1 wrote:(Thanks to beachbum for compiling these.)

NLJ 2011
NLJ 2010
NLJ 2009
NLJ 2008
NLJ 2007
NLJ 2006
NLJ 2005

cactuarX3 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like they rarely fall out of the top 10 in terms of % of class getting biglaw?

See above.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:51 pm

bk1 wrote:(Thanks to beachbum for compiling these.)

NLJ 2011
NLJ 2010
NLJ 2009
NLJ 2008
NLJ 2007
NLJ 2006
NLJ 2005

This is very helpful. Thank you bk and beachbum!

ETA: Are there lists for A3 Clerkships for these years as well?

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:52 pm

so I was waitlisted at Chicago and call me crazy, but even if I got in there, I would still lean towards attending Northwestern for two reasons:

1) I keep hearing how Chicago is the place where fun goes to die (as in, their students study 95% of each day, everyday) and I'd rather not attend a school full of gunners
2) I hear Hyde Park is a pretty ghetto area
3) In terms of biglaw (my goal), Chicago and Northwestern place relatively similarly (if not better at Northwestern)

does anybody know if the above statements are true/false? and would anybody think I'm nuts if i just withdrew from the Chicago waistlist without riding it out?

larsoner

Postby larsoner » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:06 pm

I have been wondering similarly to the poster above.

I'm in at Chicago and waiting on FA from Northwestern. Since I want to end up in the Midwest (Chicago or Minneapolis preferred), I'm pretty much choosing between these two (unless Stanford/Harvard bite or someone gives me fantastic money; although I love Michigan I'm afraid they have to be out for personal reasons). I know that Northwestern's placement into biglaw is good, but I also know that some ridiculous percentage of the class worked before law school. So I wonder if Northwestern is really such a great placement machine or if employers just always prefer people who have some WE? I don't have any substantial WE so I would really like to know how much employ-ability NU and Chicago contribute to their graduates.

Anyone have any ideas?

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:11 pm

larsoner wrote:I have been wondering similarly to the poster above.

I'm in at Chicago and waiting on FA from Northwestern. Since I want to end up in the Midwest (Chicago or Minneapolis preferred), I'm pretty much choosing between these two (unless Stanford/Harvard bite or someone gives me fantastic money; although I love Michigan I'm afraid they have to be out for personal reasons). I know that Northwestern's placement into biglaw is good, but I also know that some ridiculous percentage of the class worked before law school. So I wonder if Northwestern is really such a great placement machine or if employers just always prefer people who have some WE? I don't have any substantial WE so I would really like to know how much employ-ability NU and Chicago contribute to their graduates.

Anyone have any ideas?

I think pre-existing work experience has at least something to do with it, but at Northwestern they do have that Plan 2008 program they've been pushing (http://www.law.northwestern.edu/differe ... cplan.html) which stresses practical skills that are desirable to employers.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:14 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:so I was waitlisted at Chicago and call me crazy, but even if I got in there, I would still lean towards attending Northwestern for two reasons:

1) I keep hearing how Chicago is the place where fun goes to die (as in, their students study 95% of each day, everyday) and I'd rather not attend a school full of gunners
2) I hear Hyde Park is a pretty ghetto area
3) In terms of biglaw (my goal), Chicago and Northwestern place relatively similarly (if not better at Northwestern)

does anybody know if the above statements are true/false? and would anybody think I'm nuts if i just withdrew from the Chicago waistlist without riding it out?

1. Law students suck everywhere. You're going to have to deal with gunners no matter what. Heck I'd put up with more gunners if it meant better employment prospects.
2. It's near some sketchy areas but it isn't actually sketchy itself. It's fine.
3. UChi is the better school, I'd pick them at equal cost.

I'm fairly ambivalent to my surroundings. If Yale was in the arctic circle and filled with shitheads I would have no problem attending there based on job prospects. I understand that other people value surroundings as well as certainty, but I would stay on the waitlist till the last moment for a school that was definitely better.

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:30 pm

Just withdrew my app... :( It was actually pretty hard to hit send...

Good luck this fall everyone!!!

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:30 pm

JustE wrote:Just withdrew my app... :( It was actually pretty hard to hit send...

:cry: Where are you going?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:40 pm

JustE wrote:Just withdrew my app... :( It was actually pretty hard to hit send...

WHATTTTTTT ): I mean, I'm glad you withdrew if you don't want to go, but...are you at least coming to ASW???

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:45 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

WHATTTTTTT ): I mean, I'm glad you withdrew if you don't want to go, but...are you at least coming to ASW???

:oops: :? :cry:

I don't think so... Maybe, but cash is tight and gas isn't cheap... :0( Plus, I doubt they'll have me now that I hit send.

I'll be at Michigan. They threw a ton of money at me and showed me a great time this weekend. Making it official now. It's a shame we never met, Crumps. My bad. :oops:

ETA: Same to you Samara. I'm sure you guys will have a blast at ASW. Can we hang out when I visit Chicago this fall?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:55 pm

JustE wrote: :oops: :? :cry:

I don't think so... Maybe, but cash is tight and gas isn't cheap... :0( Plus, I doubt they'll have me now that I hit send.

I'll be at Michigan. They threw a ton of money at me and showed me a great time this weekend. Making it official now. It's a shame we never met, Crumps. My bad. :oops:

ETA: Same to you Samara. I'm sure you guys will have a blast at ASW. Can we hang out when I visit Chicago this fall?

OMG, unacceptable. UNACCEPTABLE!!!

J/K, Congratulations on the $$$$ at Michigan, and you better be there when we inevitably do our AA/Chicago meetups ^_^

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:01 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:J/K, Congratulations on the $$$$ at Michigan, and you better be there when we inevitably do our AA/Chicago meetups ^_^

I'll be there!!! :0)

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:35 pm

Congrats E, that's great news.

Jwmcalli

Postby Jwmcalli » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:23 pm

So I just booked flights for ASW. I realize I'm probably late to this party, but are people staying at hotels / have any recommendations? I'm imagining I won't get put up with a student given how late I registered for it.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:16 pm

I did this last year. Soooooo good: http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/6/de ... on-tasting

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:26 pm

Samara wrote:I did this last year. Soooooo good: http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/6/de ... on-tasting

Holy shit, when is this redeemable? Can we do this while I'm in Chicago (starting on April 4th)?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:32 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:I did this last year. Soooooo good: http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/6/de ... on-tasting

Holy shit, when is this redeemable? Can we do this while I'm in Chicago (starting on April 4th)?
Looks like the coupon is good until September.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:33 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

I'm sensing an NU-TLS-0Ls bonding opportunity...? :D

Indifferent

Postby Indifferent » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:35 pm

I listened to a lecture by Professor Redish today - if anything, you should go to NW just to have the opportunity to take a class with him.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:35 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

I'm sensing an NU-TLS-0Ls bonding opportunity...? :D
Hell, we could even save it until Orientation week or something, since it wouldn't need to be used ASW.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”