Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Kikero

Silver

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Post by Kikero » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:04 am

mmk33 wrote:I have a question about the needaccess.com financial info:

The pdf from NU law says that they do not require any parental financial data as a part of the application, but in order to submit it we are required to fill out a long parental information form that requires detailed tax data. Is there a way to bypass this? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks very much if anyone can answer this question!
For needaccess or FAFSA? I just did the needaccess last night and didn't see any parental info questions (other than amount of support they gave/expect to give). On the FAFSA there is a section like that, but I believe there is a box you can check to bypass it.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:04 pm

Kikero wrote:
mmk33 wrote:I have a question about the needaccess.com financial info:

The pdf from NU law says that they do not require any parental financial data as a part of the application, but in order to submit it we are required to fill out a long parental information form that requires detailed tax data. Is there a way to bypass this? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks very much if anyone can answer this question!
For needaccess or FAFSA? I just did the needaccess last night and didn't see any parental info questions (other than amount of support they gave/expect to give). On the FAFSA there is a section like that, but I believe there is a box you can check to bypass it.
If you are applying to other schools that require NeedAccess, and any of them require parental info, it will make you fill it out. NU won't see it when they get your NeedAccess report. If NU is the only school you're filling out NeedAccess for, it shouldn't ask for parental info, AFAIK.
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:07 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:The boxes are 1000 characters, not words. My essays were between 300-500 and I filled up all the way to the third box on both essays.

Also, my advice would be to use everything you've got - grades, LSAT, other acceptances, other scholly $$ at peer schools...just make sure to constantly reiterate that even though you have other options, or even though you are well qualified, you want to go to NORTHWESTERN.
lol whoops, RC fail on my part. In my defense, I only glanced at them for a second (I'm using MS word and copy/pasting), and why would they limit you to 3000 characters (over 3 boxes)? Weird. I'll try to use everything, like you said, but making it sound nonretarded may be difficult...
They created the "application" with an online survey tool, which probably has 1000 character max limits for their text fields. The 1000 char limit definitely sucked. I had my essays down to like 506 words and still had to cut about 200 characters to make them fit (a lot of "Northwestern"s got changed to "NU"). Plus I had to split them awkwardly in mid-sentence to use as much of each box as possible...hope it doesn't look retarded on the other end when the adcomms see it. :|

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:53 pm

potl wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:The boxes are 1000 characters, not words. My essays were between 300-500 and I filled up all the way to the third box on both essays.

Also, my advice would be to use everything you've got - grades, LSAT, other acceptances, other scholly $$ at peer schools...just make sure to constantly reiterate that even though you have other options, or even though you are well qualified, you want to go to NORTHWESTERN.
Is this really what they're looking for? I already submitted it, so I guess there's nothing that I can do at this point (I pretty much only wrote about the "need" part of the question, and I doubt that my situation is much different from anyone else's). I think that the question is 1) silly and 2) ambiguously worded. As a teacher, I wish that they had provided an exemplar response (amirite, emkay?)
I mean, I can't say I know exactly what they're looking for, that's just what I think people should do to make the best case for themselves. The question does ask us to assess merit aid, so I do think people should at least touch on it, even if they're not sure whether what they say is necessarily compelling.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:22 pm

potl wrote:

Is this really what they're looking for? I already submitted it, so I guess there's nothing that I can do at this point (I pretty much only wrote about the "need" part of the question, and I doubt that my situation is much different from anyone else's). I think that the question is 1) silly and 2) ambiguously worded. As a teacher, I wish that they had provided an exemplar response (amirite, emkay?)
+100000. : ) an exemplar is exactly what we need.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:37 pm

I also think the scholarship essay process is really used to weed out who really wants northwestern and who doesn't. I have a friend who got into Duke, GTown, NU and Uva last year. She didn't really have a preference among the 4, but was lazy and didn't want to write the scholarship essays for NU, so ended up at Duke because they just gave her a scholarship.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:38 pm

emkay625 wrote:I also think the scholarship essay process is really used to weed out who really wants northwestern and who doesn't. I have a friend who got into Duke, GTown, NU and Uva last year. She didn't really have a preference among the 4, but was lazy and didn't want to write the scholarship essays for NU, so ended up at Duke because they just gave her a scholarship.
This is pretty much what I believe as well. My essay wasn't even that good, but I did it and it paid off.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:41 pm

bjsesq wrote:
emkay625 wrote:I also think the scholarship essay process is really used to weed out who really wants northwestern and who doesn't. I have a friend who got into Duke, GTown, NU and Uva last year. She didn't really have a preference among the 4, but was lazy and didn't want to write the scholarship essays for NU, so ended up at Duke because they just gave her a scholarship.
This is pretty much what I believe as well. My essay wasn't even that good, but I did it and it paid off.
do you mind sharing stats and how much it paid off?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:53 pm

170/3.75 60k. I have some "different" soft factors that almost certainly played a role, though. YMMV

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:14 am

So it looks like in past years NU has offered $200 travel reimbursement for ASW (I think I vaguely remember that from this year as well) but I'm looking at the admitted students' site and I can't seem to find anything. Anyone know if there's a form we fill out or if we email the admissions office?

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:16 am

JDizzle2015 wrote:So it looks like in past years NU has offered $200 travel reimbursement for ASW (I think I vaguely remember that from this year as well) but I'm looking at the admitted students' site and I can't seem to find anything. Anyone know if there's a form we fill out or if we email the admissions office?
They're not offering any money for ASW this year, at least that seems to be what everybody's been saying on earlier pages of this thread.

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:55 am

Bummer. Thanks for the info!

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:10 pm

Booked flight.....so excited!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dolfan0516

Bronze

Post by dolfan0516 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:42 pm

emkay625 wrote:Booked flight.....so excited!
Same. The more I hear people talk about Chicago and Northwestern the more and more excited I get!

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:12 pm

Annnnd I'm moving to Chicago in five days. Super stressed but also super excited!

RomaRomaRoma

New

Post by RomaRomaRoma » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:25 pm

Similar need access question, but possibly easier:

When you start the financial section, for both this past year and projections for the next year, it asks for tax details for the full year. Then, in the next section, it asks to break it down by academic year and summer. If we are no longer in school, what would we fill-in here? If we split up our year into 3/9 months, would that double count our income etc?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated..

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:00 pm

RomaRomaRoma wrote:Similar need access question, but possibly easier:

When you start the financial section, for both this past year and projections for the next year, it asks for tax details for the full year. Then, in the next section, it asks to break it down by academic year and summer. If we are no longer in school, what would we fill-in here? If we split up our year into 3/9 months, would that double count our income etc?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated..
The academic year/summer is for your projected next year (when you will be attending school again).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:46 pm

WTF?!?! I just got two emails, one letting me create an NU email and another that wants me to pay my seat deposit. Do they think I enrolled? Did anyone else get this email??

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:48 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:WTF?!?! I just got two emails, one letting me create an NU email and another that wants me to pay my seat deposit. Do they think I enrolled? Did anyone else get this email??
I did. I think quite a few people already got their email accounts a few pages back as well.

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:49 pm

Kikero wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:WTF?!?! I just got two emails, one letting me create an NU email and another that wants me to pay my seat deposit. Do they think I enrolled? Did anyone else get this email??
I did. I think quite a few people already got their email accounts a few pages back as well.
So following the steps etc. does NOT mean you are enrolled?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:54 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:
Kikero wrote:
Nope. You can activate an email account now and if you don't enroll, it will be deactivated.

The deadline for the seat deposit is April 30. You can pay it by check, but activating your NU email also allows you to pay it with CAESAR, their online system for everything.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:56 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:
Kikero wrote:
Nope. You can activate an email account now and if you don't enroll, it will be deactivated.

The deadline for the seat deposit is April 30. You can pay it by check, but activating your NU email also allows you to pay it with CAESAR, their online system for everything.
Phew. I thought they had made some clerical error and thought I was enrolled. Crisis averted.

edit: Not that being enrolled would be the worst thing in the world lol, but I'd like to keep my options open.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:00 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:So following the steps etc. does NOT mean you are enrolled?

Phew. I thought they had made some clerical error and thought I was enrolled. Crisis averted.

edit: Not that being enrolled would be the worst thing in the world lol, but I'd like to keep my options open.
I'm not entirely sure when we are given the chance to actually "enroll," but it hasn't happened yet. I imagine this thread will blow up when it does. :P

cmob

New

Post by cmob » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:34 am

Hey All,

I'm going to be a NW '15 and, currently, I live about 8 blocks south of the law campus over near the Sears Tower. If anyone has any questions regarding what different neighborhoods are like, feel free to ask and I will share whatever perspective I can.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what the hell to do for housing, because Northwestern conveniently sits in the most expensive neighborhood in downtown Chicago. Who knows, if people get along at ASW and are cool with roommates, you could affordably move into something like this (notice it's furnished) : <http://www.domu.com/chicago/neighborhoo ... il-60611-0>

I'm just saying, I really hate living by myself if it means being in a 8x12 white box. If I'm dropping $1,200, I'm going to do it hard.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:40 am

cmob wrote: If I'm dropping $1,200, I'm going to do it hard.
+ motherfucking 1. Also, holymotherofgod that place is BEAUTIFUL. O________O

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”