Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
rinkrat19

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:25 pm

emkay625 wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Has anybody worked on the scholarship essays yet?

I am completely at a loss as far as what to put down for "make your case for merit aid." How does one write "my gpa sucks but you know you want my lsat score?" I feel like talking about my work experience and other soft factors would be trite, but is that what they're looking for?

Wait, what are these? They email them to you once they process your fafsa/NeedAccess?

They were in an email sent a few days after I was accepted. You have to talk about your goals and then discuss why you think you deserve a scholarship.

I am thinking about talking about how I have a diverse range of work experience and also talking about a unique skill that could contribute to the law school. Is this what they want? Or do they really want something like "I have high numbers so give me monies."
That question sucks. I like your former idea (diverse WE/skill), while implying the latter without explicitly saying it. Easier said than done, right?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:44 pm

I am completely at a loss as far as what to put down for "make your case for merit aid." How does one write "my gpa sucks but you know you want my lsat score?" I feel like talking about my work experience and other soft factors would be trite, but is that what they're looking for?

When I wrote mine, I focused on my LSAT score and tried to minimize discussion of my GPA. GPA, IMO, is used in admissions to demonstrate hard work and dedication (aka, are you capable of busting your ass to get grades/a jerb), so I talked about how my LSAT score is indicative of the fact that I have those traits.

Or something. I don't actually remember what I wrote exactly anymore. Work experience is also really good to bring up, IMO.

ETA: but jsyk I have heard from MANY current students that if you have a low GPA you shouldn't expect any aid at all, need-based or otherwise. They SAY the scholly is both need- and merit-based, but it really is just merit-based (from what I've heard).

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:04 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:

When I wrote mine, I focused on my LSAT score and tried to minimize discussion of my GPA. GPA, IMO, is used in admissions to demonstrate hard work and dedication (aka, are you capable of busting your ass to get grades/a jerb), so I talked about how my LSAT score is indicative of the fact that I have those traits.

Or something. I don't actually remember what I wrote exactly anymore. Work experience is also really good to bring up, IMO.

ETA: but jsyk I have heard from MANY current students that if you have a low GPA you shouldn't expect any aid at all, need-based or otherwise. They SAY the scholly is both need- and merit-based, but it really is just merit-based (from what I've heard).

I have heard the same thing so I'm not particularly optimistic.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:09 am

emkay625 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:ETA: but jsyk I have heard from MANY current students that if you have a low GPA you shouldn't expect any aid at all, need-based or otherwise. They SAY the scholly is both need- and merit-based, but it really is just merit-based (from what I've heard).

I have heard the same thing so I'm not particularly optimistic.

yeah, same. Your GPA isn't that low though, so you def have a shot! Either way, it doesn't hurt to give it your best shot...that's what I told myself, anyway :P That's also why I did mine ASAP, because they do rolling offers for scholly money...maybe they'll be more lenient on us splitters if there's still lots of money left in the pot? ):

terriers

Postby terriers » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:19 pm

Does it make sense to talk about other acceptances on the merit-based part of the essays? I haven't gotten $$$ anywhere yet, not sure if they care about other acceptances.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:44 pm

terriers wrote:Does it make sense to talk about other acceptances on the merit-based part of the essays? I haven't gotten $$$ anywhere yet, not sure if they care about other acceptances.

Yeah, I think it does. Especially if, say, you got into UVa or something...their tuition is cheaper AND the COL is cheaper. That can be a pretty compelling factor, because Chicago's COL is pretty damn high and NU is one of the most expensive T14s. Of course, this isn't going to work if you're comparing it to Boalt or a NY school, and it's only effective with peer schools or schools ranked higher than NU, but it's still worth mentioning.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:12 pm

My roommate is a painter, and I've been looking for Chicago skyline pictures because she's painting me one. I got SUPER EXCITED about chicago while looking just now :-D

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:16 pm

Shootit, I did not get any such email. I guess that either means no scholly or the full-scholly-if-you-defer bit...hopefully the latter...

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:53 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:Shootit, I did not get any such email. I guess that either means no scholly or the full-scholly-if-you-defer bit...hopefully the latter...

You should probably email them and ask just in case it got lost in your spam...it would really suck if it's neither of those options and you miss the deadline for submitting the NU-specific app (which is the end of this month, I believe).

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:55 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:Shootit, I did not get any such email. I guess that either means no scholly or the full-scholly-if-you-defer bit...hopefully the latter...

You should probably email them and ask just in case it got lost in your spam...it would really suck if it's neither of those options and you miss the deadline for submitting the NU-specific app (which is the end of this month, I believe).

Aha, just found it in spam. NW sends too many emails...

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:57 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:Aha, just found it in spam. NW sends too many emails...

Glad you found it!!! :D And NU has nothing on UMN, from my experience...I've gotten probably 30 emails from them since I got in. Tso obnoxious :lol: I might be biased cause I LOVE getting NU mail though XD

terriers

Postby terriers » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:08 pm

I like the avatar btw, Tom Hagen is the reason I decided to go to law school.

EDIT: Booking a hotel for ASW....brutal, wish I knew people that still lived in Chicago, anyone find any decent rates?

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:55 am

The second question is ridic. I have no idea whether to play their "holistic" game (which would overlap with the first question) or just bust out the stats/other acceptances. What have the rest of you done?

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:56 am

lsatcrazy wrote:The second question is ridic. I have no idea whether to play their "holistic" game (which would overlap with the first question) or just bust out the stats/other acceptances. What have the rest of you done?

Still debating. You?

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:00 am

emkay625 wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:The second question is ridic. I have no idea whether to play their "holistic" game (which would overlap with the first question) or just bust out the stats/other acceptances. What have the rest of you done?

Still debating. You?

Haven't started, but so far thinking about some retarded hybrid by doing "I'm XY&Z, and CCNMP apparently agree"...upon writing this post, this seems stupid. I have no idea.

edit: and if the essays are 300-500 words (/groan), why is there 3 boxes of 1000 words each per question?

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:03 am

terriers wrote:

I like the avatar btw, Tom Hagen is the reason I decided to go to law school.

EDIT: Booking a hotel for ASW....brutal, wish I knew people that still lived in Chicago, anyone find any decent rates?

I found a pretty nice looking hotel for $89/night, I know I saw some quite a bit cheaper - around $60/night - than that, but they were like Motel 6, Econolodge, etc. and were probably a lot farther away from downtown and NU. I think Rinkrat recommended Inn of Chicago a couple pages ago also.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:06 am

lsatcrazy wrote:
emkay625 wrote:

Still debating. You?

Haven't started, but so far thinking about some retarded hybrid by doing "I'm XY&Z, and CCNMP apparently agree"...upon writing this post, this seems stupid. I have no idea.

edit: and if the essays are 300-500 words (/groan), why is there 3 boxes of 1000 words each per question?

I had the same concern.

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:20 am

emkay625 wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:
emkay625 wrote:

Still debating. You?

I had the same concern.

Yeah, I'm in an especially precarious situation due to my glaring lack of w/e...I'll think about it tomorrow.

Edit: Screw it, I'm nightowling...they seemed to have a similar issue last year (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=126571&hilit=Northwestern+merit+essay&start=150 , page 7 of c/o 2014)...further research req'd...
Last edited by lsatcrazy on Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:46 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:

End of this month? Craaaaaaaaap. I need to do it this week.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:12 am

The boxes are 1000 characters, not words. My essays were between 300-500 and I filled up all the way to the third box on both essays.

Also, my advice would be to use everything you've got - grades, LSAT, other acceptances, other scholly $$ at peer schools...just make sure to constantly reiterate that even though you have other options, or even though you are well qualified, you want to go to NORTHWESTERN.

terriers

Postby terriers » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:29 am

Kikero wrote:I found a pretty nice looking hotel for $89/night, I know I saw some quite a bit cheaper - around $60/night - than that, but they were like Motel 6, Econolodge, etc. and were probably a lot farther away from downtown and NU. I think Rinkrat recommended Inn of Chicago a couple pages ago also.

Nice, where'd you find 89/night? I thought I remembered someone posting about that in the thread, but I couldn't find it.

Regarding that 2nd essay, I just went all-out and sold myself pretty hard, you're obviously really well qualified if you got into NW in the first place...I talked about the evolution of my GPA (my last 2 years were much stronger than my first 2), strong LSAT, and great professional experience. Especially if you are a splitter, selling your work experience/leadership/communication skills might be a plus.

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:18 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:The boxes are 1000 characters, not words. My essays were between 300-500 and I filled up all the way to the third box on both essays.

Also, my advice would be to use everything you've got - grades, LSAT, other acceptances, other scholly $$ at peer schools...just make sure to constantly reiterate that even though you have other options, or even though you are well qualified, you want to go to NORTHWESTERN.

lol whoops, RC fail on my part. In my defense, I only glanced at them for a second (I'm using MS word and copy/pasting), and why would they limit you to 3000 characters (over 3 boxes)? Weird. I'll try to use everything, like you said, but making it sound nonretarded may be difficult...

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:46 am

terriers wrote:
Kikero wrote:I found a pretty nice looking hotel for $89/night, I know I saw some quite a bit cheaper - around $60/night - than that, but they were like Motel 6, Econolodge, etc. and were probably a lot farther away from downtown and NU. I think Rinkrat recommended Inn of Chicago a couple pages ago also.

Nice, where'd you find 89/night? I thought I remembered someone posting about that in the thread, but I couldn't find it.

Here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?um=1&ie=UTF ... d=0CBIQ_BI

potl

Postby potl » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:25 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:The boxes are 1000 characters, not words. My essays were between 300-500 and I filled up all the way to the third box on both essays.

Is this really what they're looking for? I already submitted it, so I guess there's nothing that I can do at this point (I pretty much only wrote about the "need" part of the question, and I doubt that my situation is much different from anyone else's). I think that the question is 1) silly and 2) ambiguously worded. As a teacher, I wish that they had provided an exemplar response (amirite, emkay?)

mmk33

Postby mmk33 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:50 am

I have a question about the needaccess.com financial info:

The pdf from NU law says that they do not require any parental financial data as a part of the application, but in order to submit it we are required to fill out a long parental information form that requires detailed tax data. Is there a way to bypass this? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks very much if anyone can answer this question!

edit: I have Duke on my school list with Northwestern. It just occurred to me that if I remove them maybe I can submit to Northwestern...

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”