Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
terriers

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby terriers » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:02 pm

bjsesq wrote:It's hard to tell how/when things will pick up. I don't think we will ever see things as playboy-ish in large law firms as it was pre-bust. Will they pick up? Yeah, I think so. Will it be a big increase? I doubt it. At least in Chicago.

Profs won't fuck you over, it's just that a lot of them are pompous douches who are actually insulted that a student would approach them outside office hours, disagree with them in anyway, or do anything that slightly inconveniences them. This is the culture budding lawyers are raised in, man. (Full disclosure: I would say the prof split is about 50/50 with douches v. cool people. Some of the profs are cool as shit here. Some of them are Ron Allen, aka anything but cool.)

I think the additional financial aid essay is more about eliminating scholly money for those who aren't even willing to put in the effort to try for it. You should do it, but I think your chances of getting anything are minuscule.

I agree with the boldface and am perfectly fine with it, after a while at my current job....I can honestly say I believe that there is more to a job than money (wouldn't have said that 2 years ago). Not saying I want to go public interest or trying to be noble...but lawyers were making way too much money for too long and I think it just took people a while to figure out. Even now, I'm skeptical whether a 25 year-old out of law school is really worth 160K per year when their first year will most likely be spent figuring out what the heck is going on.

I'm guessing you probably do see the pompous douche culture at most top law schools (and most/all big firms for that matter), I think it is just something you kind of have to accept with the territory. The main appeal of a law degree to me is that when you combine it with a decent background, it gives you a ton of versatility....but there are definitely drawbacks. I just don't want to come out and be saddled with debt for the next 10-15 years.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:09 pm

terriers wrote:
bjsesq wrote:It's hard to tell how/when things will pick up. I don't think we will ever see things as playboy-ish in large law firms as it was pre-bust. Will they pick up? Yeah, I think so. Will it be a big increase? I doubt it. At least in Chicago.

Profs won't fuck you over, it's just that a lot of them are pompous douches who are actually insulted that a student would approach them outside office hours, disagree with them in anyway, or do anything that slightly inconveniences them. This is the culture budding lawyers are raised in, man. (Full disclosure: I would say the prof split is about 50/50 with douches v. cool people. Some of the profs are cool as shit here. Some of them are Ron Allen, aka anything but cool.)

I think the additional financial aid essay is more about eliminating scholly money for those who aren't even willing to put in the effort to try for it. You should do it, but I think your chances of getting anything are minuscule.

I agree with the boldface and am perfectly fine with it, after a while at my current job....I can honestly say I believe that there is more to a job than money (wouldn't have said that 2 years ago). Not saying I want to go public interest or trying to be noble...but lawyers were making way too much money for too long and I think it just took people a while to figure out. Even now, I'm skeptical whether a 25 year-old out of law school is really worth 160K per year when their first year will most likely be spent figuring out what the heck is going on.

I'm guessing you probably do see the pompous douche culture at most top law schools (and most/all big firms for that matter), I think it is just something you kind of have to accept with the territory. The main appeal of a law degree to me is that when you combine it with a decent background, it gives you a ton of versatility....but there are definitely drawbacks. I just don't want to come out and be saddled with debt for the next 10-15 years.

1. No fresh out of school law student is worth 160k a year, imo. It's just the nature of the beast.
2. The versatility of the degree is heavily, heavily dependent on your background, as you mentioned. Generally, I've found that the JD just isn't really all that versatile.
3. NU isn't that terribly douchey generally. Aspy and awkward as fuck? Often. Straight up douche? That's pretty limited to select students who consistently exhibit such behavior.

You're going to be saddled with a bunch of debt. If you are lucky, you'll get it paid off in 5 or 6 years. If not, RUN

terriers

Postby terriers » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:19 pm

bjsesq wrote:
terriers wrote:

1. No fresh out of school law student is worth 160k a year, imo. It's just the nature of the beast.
2. The versatility of the degree is heavily, heavily dependent on your background, as you mentioned. Generally, I've found that the JD just isn't really all that versatile.
3. NU isn't that terribly douchey generally. Aspy and awkward as fuck? Often. Straight up douche? That's pretty limited to select students who consistently exhibit such behavior.

You're going to be saddled with a bunch of debt. If you are lucky, you'll get it paid off in 5 or 6 years. If not, RUN

Still seems like the employment prospects are at least decent, 57% of their class of 2010 is over 100K and nearly 70% is above 60K, I'll be very curious to see what 2011 is like, but something like that probably beats Michigan where I think they had a pretty large chunk of their class not reporting. I've been getting the impression that as long as you work hard and generally do pretty well at NW, you should be able to find something passable.
Last edited by terriers on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:20 pm

terriers wrote:Still seems like the employment prospects are at least decent, 61% of their class of 2010 is over 100K and nearly 3/4 is above 60K, I'll be very curious to see what 2011 is like, but something like that probably beats Michigan where I think they had a pretty large chunk of their class not reporting. I've been getting the impression that as long as you work hard and generally do pretty well at NW, you should be able to find something passable.

I've seen people on both sides of the fence. All my knowledge of my class is purely anecdotal, so I can't comfortably tell you anything.

terriers

Postby terriers » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:23 pm

bjsesq wrote:
terriers wrote:Still seems like the employment prospects are at least decent, 61% of their class of 2010 is over 100K and nearly 3/4 is above 60K, I'll be very curious to see what 2011 is like, but something like that probably beats Michigan where I think they had a pretty large chunk of their class not reporting. I've been getting the impression that as long as you work hard and generally do pretty well at NW, you should be able to find something passable.

I've seen people on both sides of the fence. All my knowledge of my class is purely anecdotal, so I can't comfortably tell you anything.

What class are you? A 1L e-mailed me and he said that people were generally confident about summer employment prospects although not many (if any) were expecting to be paid.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:24 pm

terriers wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

What class are you? A 1L e-mailed me and he said that people were generally confident about summer employment prospects although not many (if any) were expecting to be paid.

I'm a 2L.

terriers

Postby terriers » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:32 pm

bjsesq wrote:
terriers wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

I'm a 2L.

Ah...thanks for the info/reality check...want to keep the feet on the ground and treat school like a job this time (screwed around my first 2 years of UG and have been paying for it ever since).

On a different note, had a business trip to Indy a few months ago, was my first time in the Midwest, couldn't believe how nice/polite people were, I thought it was some kind of sarcasm for the first few days. Does that extend to Chicago?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:34 pm

terriers wrote:On a different note, had a business trip to Indy a few months ago, was my first time in the Midwest, couldn't believe how nice/polite people were, I thought it was some kind of sarcasm for the first few days. Does that extend to Chicago?

Pretty much, yeah. People will say hi to you, and don't freak out if you acknowledge their presence. As big as Chicago is, people are generally pretty good to one another.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:54 am

bjsesq wrote:
terriers wrote:On a different note, had a business trip to Indy a few months ago, was my first time in the Midwest, couldn't believe how nice/polite people were, I thought it was some kind of sarcasm for the first few days. Does that extend to Chicago?

Pretty much, yeah. People will say hi to you, and don't freak out if you acknowledge their presence. As big as Chicago is, people are generally pretty good to one another.

I'm from Indiana, lived in Indy for a couple years and now live outside Chicago. I'm glad Indy treated you well! Chicagoans aren't quite as nice as Hoosiers, IMO, but still very nice compared to other areas of the country I've been to. For me, (native) Chicagoans are a bit snobby and overbearing and a little less friendly, but still generally nice. Just don't get them started on DA BEARS.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:00 am

rinkrat19 wrote:So, I think I should thank you guys for being at all willing to talk to me...I'm apparently one of the objectively worst posters on TLS! :lol:
(frankly, I'm surprised he even knows my screenname.) http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/m ... le&u=87778

He does include his former persona on that list, so perhaps his judgment is a bit, uh, lacking.

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:18 am

Considering I'm from Miami, lived in Florida my entire life, and don't remember the last time I've seen snow, just how screwed am I really?

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:29 am

dolfan0516 wrote:Considering I'm from Miami, lived in Florida my entire life, and don't remember the last time I've seen snow, just how screwed am I really?

:lol: You won't be alone. Several people ITT are also coming from warm climates, like California. Get a nice coat, waterproof shoes, and some underarmor if you're real susceptible to cold and you should be fine. Us cold-weather people will help you find the right stuff by the time winter rolls around. Winter sucks, but it builds character. Or something.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:25 pm

Samara wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:So, I think I should thank you guys for being at all willing to talk to me...I'm apparently one of the objectively worst posters on TLS! :lol:
(frankly, I'm surprised he even knows my screenname.) memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=87778

He does include his former persona on that list, so perhaps his judgment is a bit, uh, lacking.
I figured Dany put me on the list. I somehow managed to garner her undying contempt without any effort whatsoever.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:29 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:
(frankly, I'm surprised he even knows my screenname.) http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/m ... le&u=87778

I figured Dany put me on the list. I somehow managed to garner her undying contempt without any effort whatsoever.

:lol: That seems to happen a bit too easily around here.

TBF, the list does say Rinkrat, not rinkrat19, so maybe there is some ur-rinkrat who is actually responsible for their contempt.

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:19 pm

Thanks bjsesq. I think if I've really got my heart set on NU, I will have to either become a call girl or bust my butt and pray for returns on outside scholarships. $150K of debt is not easy for me to take on even though this is a top law school.

Also, completely agree with the below. My current boss told me that when he went to law school, it cost him $5000 a year. :shock: He couldn't believe it when I told him how much it costs these days. Clients are less willing to shell out $350 an hour for a junior associate to learn the ropes. I don't blame them at all.

bjsesq wrote: 1. No fresh out of school law student is worth 160k a year, imo. It's just the nature of the beast.

chill

Postby chill » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:07 pm

Checking in! Got in on Friday. Feeling pretty good about heading back to Chicago (although, Jesus, those rents are painful. Maybe we should have a TLS bunk bed house where we stash 6 of us to a room. Might cut rents back down to, oh, 3 digits...). Looking forward to meeting all of you at ASW!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:18 pm

terriers wrote:Still seems like the employment prospects are at least decent, 57% of their class of 2010 is over 100K and nearly 70% is above 60K, I'll be very curious to see what 2011 is like, but something like that probably beats Michigan where I think they had a pretty large chunk of their class not reporting. I've been getting the impression that as long as you work hard and generally do pretty well at NW, you should be able to find something passable.

While 60k is a decent salary for someone in their mid 20's, it really isn't a decent salary for someone with 250k worth of student loan debt.

As for working hard and doing well, at least grade-wise not everyone does well because of the curve. I know people who are smart and those who worked hard who didn't do so well. While I'm a 1L and don't know how they will inevitably fare, I'm of the mind that they will likely get something decent (of course this goes back to the fact that something decent probably isn't decent if that person has 250k debt and the job doesn't qualify for PSLF).

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:18 pm

Tentative ASW schedule up on the admitted student site!
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... da_ASW.pdf

Looks pretty similar to last year, and last year was fun. :)

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:18 pm

chill wrote:Checking in! Got in on Friday. Feeling pretty good about heading back to Chicago (although, Jesus, those rents are painful. Maybe we should have a TLS bunk bed house where we stash 6 of us to a room. Might cut rents back down to, oh, 3 digits...). Looking forward to meeting all of you at ASW!

I dunno, I don't think rent in Chicago is that bad (it's not DC/NYC at least).

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:24 pm

bk1 wrote:
chill wrote:Checking in! Got in on Friday. Feeling pretty good about heading back to Chicago (although, Jesus, those rents are painful. Maybe we should have a TLS bunk bed house where we stash 6 of us to a room. Might cut rents back down to, oh, 3 digits...). Looking forward to meeting all of you at ASW!

It's really not, compared to other big cities. But it still causes some sticker shock if you're moving from the suburbs of a secondary market. :shock:

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:26 pm

Or from a rural area. Yikes.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:29 pm

And I'm completely freaked out by the price of electricity (HOLY SHIT THAT IS THREE TIMES WHAT IT IS IN PORTLAND, the land of dirt-cheap hydropower) so I need to find a place with power included in the rent. Fortunately, that seems to be more the norm than the exception.

chill

Postby chill » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:32 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
bk1 wrote:

It's really not, compared to other big cities. But it still causes some sticker shock if you're moving from the suburbs of a secondary market. :shock:

To be clear: Chicago rent? Not bad. Streeterville rent? Bad.

Also, I lived in downstate Illinois for a year paying 350/month for a one-bedroom that included heat. So even though I pay more than double that now for a studio in Seattle, I will always probably hold every apartment I live in to that cheapness standard.

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:36 pm

chill wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
bk1 wrote:

To be clear: Chicago rent? Not bad. Streeterville rent? Bad.

Also, I lived in downstate Illinois for a year paying 350/month for a one-bedroom that included heat. So even though I pay more than double that now for a studio in Seattle, I will always probably hold every apartment I live in to that cheapness standard.

For what Ive seen from Streeterville rent so far, it really doesnt seem THAT bad. Yes its expensive, but for its prime location, its still much, much cheaper than NYC or even certain areas in downtown Miami.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:57 pm

I've been avoiding working by browsing around on this site today: --LinkRemoved--
I hope I have enough free time to take advantage of even a fraction of the stuff Chicago has going on!

(and just in case it got missed, I posted above that the tentative schedule for ASW is up on the admitted student site.)

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”