Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2098 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 84  Next
 Post subject: Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:57 pm 

cactuarX3 wrote:
I've started filling out the financial aid application. Anyone have any advice on how to answer the financial need portion of the app? I'm not sure what I should write and what I should leave out.

- I have worked at a decent paying job for the past 3-4 years and have some savings (but definitely not enough to pay for all 3 years of lawl school).
- No kids or spouse or anything like that
- No UG loans to pay off

If there's nothing that I can leverage to ask for need-based financial aid, should I just not address that part of the question at all?

Hello and congrats to everyone! I would LOVE to attend NW this year but we'll have too see how financial aid offers go. Fingers crossed for enough to make it possible because NW is my #1 pick.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:21 am 

crumpetsandtea wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:
I've started filling out the financial aid application. Anyone have any advice on how to answer the financial need portion of the app? I'm not sure what I should write and what I should leave out.

- I have worked at a decent paying job for the past 3-4 years and have some savings (but definitely not enough to pay for all 3 years of lawl school).
- No kids or spouse or anything like that
- No UG loans to pay off

If there's nothing that I can leverage to ask for need-based financial aid, should I just not address that part of the question at all?

At the risk of outing myself, I spoke about how little money I make at my current job, and the fact that my parents ( the only potential source of wealth for me ) are paying for my sister to go to UG in a year, so I have no intention of asking them for anything. Then I reiterated how little money I've made, and how little savings I have. Don't harp on your lack of dependents, but definitely play up how low your savings are.

This is a tough part for me because I don't really feel like I deserve any need-based aid. I'm making decent money and I have a small pot of savings, like cactuar. Unlike cactuar, I also have an income-generating spouse. But in the scheme of things, my savings wouldn't even pay for a semester of law school tuition, I have some grad school debt, I won't be getting any help from my parents, and rent in the city is so damn high. The reality of the debt is starting to really weigh on my decisions. Somebody tell me that NU at sticker is still an okay idea!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:51 pm 

NU at sticker is still an okay idea!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:53 pm 
TLS Poet Laureate

cactuarX3 wrote:

.... Not necessarily. I love my school, but you need to be very honest with yourself about the risks you are taking.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:02 pm 

bjsesq wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:

.... Not necessarily. I love my school, but you need to be very honest with yourself about the risks you are taking.

Very true; just fulfilling Samara's request that someone tell him it's an okay idea :P

Yeah, I'm also getting worried about the prospect of massive debt....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:04 pm 

cactuarX3 wrote:

haha, thank you. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:05 pm 
TLS Poet Laureate

cactuarX3 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:

Very true; just fulfilling Samara's request that someone tell him it's an okay idea :P

Yeah, I'm also getting worried about the prospect of massive debt....

As you should. NU is a scary place sometimes. Just remember to work smarter, not harder.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:13 am 

trying to fill out need access, but it's asking for my 2012 earnings? is this right? do i just put what i'm anticipating making?

this whole process confuses the shit out out of me. i'm relatively sure i'm going to mess this up so bad i get audited.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:19 am 

tdicks wrote:
trying to fill out need access, but it's asking for my 2012 earnings? is this right? do i just put what i'm anticipating making?

this whole process confuses the shit out out of me. i'm relatively sure i'm going to mess this up so bad i get audited.

It's just how much you anticipate, I really doubt that it will be that big of an issue. I think I put 0, and I'm working RN and will quit at the end of March.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:23 am 

tdicks wrote:

I took my 2011 earnings and multiplied it by .583 to get a number for 7 months instead of 12. (Working through July, or close to it.) It won't be exactly right, but will hopefully be in the ballpark.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:07 pm 

Just spent the last 15 mins reminiscing about flying to Chicago for my interview back in September... meeting my first NU friend... sneaking into the NU library and the clinics on the top floor... sitting nervously in the admissions office managing my expectations for the likely possibility of an eventual rejection.

Man, life is sweet. Just thought I'd share the fact that NU holds an especially warm spot in my heart.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:17 pm 

JDizzle2015 wrote:
Just spent the last 15 mins reminiscing about flying to Chicago for my interview back in September... meeting my first NU friend... sneaking into the NU library and the clinics on the top floor... sitting nervously in the admissions office managing my expectations for the likely possibility of an eventual rejection.

Man, life is sweet. Just thought I'd share the fact that NU holds an especially warm spot in my heart.

Was the Forrest Gump theme music playing in your head as you were reminiscing?

On another note, received my binder today too. They aren't kidding around with the whole professional theme they're pushing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:26 pm 

Every time I consider other schools I feel like a cheater because of the name of this thread :) clever, Crumps. Dastardly clever.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:12 am 

Anyone want to come with me and drive/take a train to Ann Arbor to see the 2013 NHL Winter Classic? The Big House, full of 100,000+ fans to watch outdoor NHL hockey?

I've never been within 2000 miles of a Winter Classic, so I'm excited to be as close as Chicago > Ann Arbor

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/75582 ... an-stadium

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:14 pm 

rinkrat19 wrote:
Anyone want to come with me and drive/take a train to Ann Arbor to see the 2013 NHL Winter Classic? The Big House, full of 100,000+ fans to watch outdoor NHL hockey?

I've never been within 2000 miles of a Winter Classic, so I'm excited to be as close as Chicago > Ann Arbor

Would so do that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:42 pm 

Hey everyone, haven't been to this thread yet and never expected to visit it either. Still can't believe I got in. I almost assuredly will be attending. Found out yesterday through the congratulations email (the email stating your decision letter will be available within 24 hours came after my congratulations email lol) when I was on the phone with another schools dean asking for more scholarship money. That was awkward.

Definitely will be attending ASW and hope to meet some of you there!

rinkrat19 wrote:

And yes, I would be down. And yes, I think I am the only hockey fan from south Florida.

Last edited by dolfan0516 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:44 pm 

Dolfan-- welcome and congrats!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:53 pm 

dolfan0516 wrote:
Hey everyone, haven't been to this thread yet and never expected to visit it either. Still can't believe I got in. I almost assuredly will be attending. Found out yesterday through the congratulations email (the email stating your decision letter will be available within 24 hours came after my congratulations email lol) when I was on the phone with a Maryland dean asking for more scholarship money. That was awkward.

Hey dolfan!!! :D :D CONGRATS on getting in, it's always awesome to see new people ITT :mrgreen: SO excited for ASW.

Rinkrat, about that hockey thing - is it okay if I go but have no knowledge of anything to do with hockey? XD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:58 pm 

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Rinkrat, about that hockey thing - is it okay if I go but have no knowledge of anything to do with hockey? XD
This state of affairs will not last long if you're my friend, my friend. :wink:
But yes, as long as you're not all sniffy and dissing hockey and sports in general, I'm happy to drag you with me. :P We can start with baby steps and get a group together and get some cheap tickets to a Blackhawks game.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:01 am 

dolfan0516 wrote:
Hey everyone, haven't been to this thread yet and never expected to visit it either. Still can't believe I got in. I almost assuredly will be attending. Found out yesterday through the congratulations email (the email stating your decision letter will be available within 24 hours came after my congratulations email lol) when I was on the phone with a Maryland dean asking for more scholarship money. That was awkward.

rinkrat19 wrote:

And yes, I would be down. And yes, I think I am the only hockey fan from south Florida.

Congratulations, Dolfan!

Also, I'd be interested in the Winter Classic too. I've been a Wings fan since I was about 5.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:29 am 

bjsesq wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:

bjesq, could you expand on this a little? I would definitely like to know more about the "risks," and if there is something I have not considered yet. Thank you!

I've been scouring the threads these past few days for information on Northwestern's scholarships and grants. I really like this school and I want to practice in Chicago so it is pretty much my top choice. But the prospect of $150K + in debt is really quite daunting, especially because I have a $$$ offer at a t25 school that also places decently in Chicago. Also, it does seem that a splitter like me (GPA a smidge below their 25th, LSAT above their 75th) does not usually get any aid.

I was looking at their list of scholarships and I saw one that was established for graduates of UMichigan who go to Northwestern Law. Whyyyy didn't I go to Michigan for undergrad? :D Hope one of you falls into this category!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:58 pm 

So, I think I should thank you guys for being at all willing to talk to me...I'm apparently one of the objectively worst posters on TLS! :lol:
(frankly, I'm surprised he even knows my screenname.) memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=87778

Back on topic: I've been trying to get serious about searching for outside scholarships, but I haven't been able to find much for whitebread candidates such as myself. It's pretty discouraging. I'm filling out a terrible, horrible, tedious mass application thing for the State of Oregon right now and it makes Need Access look like fluffy bunnies and rainbows. All the more annoying since there's probably a 0.0001% chance anything results from it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:01 pm 
TLS Poet Laureate

kennethellenparcell wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:

bjesq, could you expand on this a little? I would definitely like to know more about the "risks," and if there is something I have not considered yet. Thank you!

I've been scouring the threads these past few days for information on Northwestern's scholarships and grants. I really like this school and I want to practice in Chicago so it is pretty much my top choice. But the prospect of $150K + in debt is really quite daunting, especially because I have a $$$ offer at a t25 school that also places decently in Chicago. Also, it does seem that a splitter like me (GPA a smidge below their 25th, LSAT above their 75th) does not usually get any aid.

I was looking at their list of scholarships and I saw one that was established for graduates of UMichigan who go to Northwestern Law. Whyyyy didn't I go to Michigan for undergrad? :D Hope one of you falls into this category!

Sure. Northwestern Law is obscenely expensive. Most law schools are, but this doesn't do a thing to make any of it ok. The market is still showing lag in recovery. As such, jobs are still tough to get. Chicago is still lagging behind New York in terms of rebounding from the crash. There are fewer jobs here, thus a lot more competition for those jobs (yeah, I know, maybe fewer people are competing for those jobs than NYC. Still, competition is stout, and Chicago was rough for a lot of people.)

You aren't likely to get aid. And by not likely, I mean you won't get a scholly. So, expect to pay full boat. It's a risky proposition.

I enjoy most of my classmates. This year's 1L's are a bit neurotic generally, but there aren't a ton of objectively bad people here. Except maybe the profs. God, there are so many dickheads in their ranks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:38 pm 

bjsesq wrote:
Sure. Northwestern Law is obscenely expensive. Most law schools are, but this doesn't do a thing to make any of it ok. The market is still showing lag in recovery. As such, jobs are still tough to get. Chicago is still lagging behind New York in terms of rebounding from the crash. There are fewer jobs here, thus a lot more competition for those jobs (yeah, I know, maybe fewer people are competing for those jobs than NYC. Still, competition is stout, and Chicago was rough for a lot of people.)

You aren't likely to get aid. And by not likely, I mean you won't get a scholly. So, expect to pay full boat. It's a risky proposition.

I enjoy most of my classmates. This year's 1L's are a bit neurotic generally, but there aren't a ton of objectively bad people here. Except maybe the profs. God, there are so many dickheads in their ranks.

Curious if you think things might pick up in 2-3 more years though? Also, how bad are the profs? Bad as in willing to screw you over?

I am pretty interested in NU, but seeing that what I saved will barely cover a year (instead of 1.5 like I had hoped for), is pretty daunting.

EDIT: I also realize I have no chance at Fin Aid, so doing these essays on a weekend is pretty annoying. I'm kind of at the point...I wrote a personal statement, I wrote a pretty detailed "Why NW", and I'm a splitter.....exactly how much more info are they looking for?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:53 pm 
TLS Poet Laureate

terriers wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Curious if you think things might pick up in 2-3 more years though? Also, how bad are the profs? Bad as in willing to screw you over?

I am pretty interested in NU, but seeing that what I saved will barely cover a year (instead of 1.5 like I had hoped for), is pretty daunting.

EDIT: I also realize I have no chance at Fin Aid, so doing these essays on a weekend is pretty annoying. I'm kind of at the point...I wrote a personal statement, I wrote a pretty detailed "Why NW", and I'm a splitter.....exactly how much more info are they looking for?

It's hard to tell how/when things will pick up. I don't think we will ever see things as playboy-ish in large law firms as it was pre-bust. Will they pick up? Yeah, I think so. Will it be a big increase? I doubt it. At least in Chicago.

Profs won't fuck you over, it's just that a lot of them are pompous douches who are actually insulted that a student would approach them outside office hours, disagree with them in anyway, or do anything that slightly inconveniences them. This is the culture budding lawyers are raised in, man. (Full disclosure: I would say the prof split is about 50/50 with douches v. cool people. Some of the profs are cool as shit here. Some of them are Ron Allen, aka anything but cool.)

I think the additional financial aid essay is more about eliminating scholly money for those who aren't even willing to put in the effort to try for it. You should do it, but I think your chances of getting anything are minuscule.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2098 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 84  Next