Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
franklyscarlet

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:11 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I like the north face you showed, and fleecy underarmour leggings? Yes. I'm kind of a fashion nut (50s style clothing obsessive), so I'm trying to find a way to be warm without killing my soul through the wearing of a parka or puffer or something.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:20 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Thanks for the suggestions! I like the north face you showed, and fleecy underarmour leggings? Yes. I'm kind of a fashion nut (50s style clothing obsessive), so I'm trying to find a way to be warm without killing my soul through the wearing of a parka or puffer or something.

I'm sure UA makes fleecy leggings, but I was actually referring to their "Cold Gear" base layer. Basically just tights, but they keep you much warmer and can fit under most not-skin-tight pants. (If you're leggings-inclined, they could probably be worn without pants over them, too.)
Here's UA's Cold Gear bottoms: http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/w ... r#products

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:27 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:Thanks for the suggestions! I like the north face you showed, and fleecy underarmour leggings? Yes. I'm kind of a fashion nut (50s style clothing obsessive), so I'm trying to find a way to be warm without killing my soul through the wearing of a parka or puffer or something.

I'm sure UA makes fleecy leggings, but I was actually referring to their "Cold Gear" base layer. Basically just tights, but they keep you much warmer and can fit under most not-skin-tight pants. (If you're leggings-inclined, they could probably be worn without pants over them, too.)
Here's UA's Cold Gear bottoms: http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/w ... r#products

Totally gonna buy me some UA gear :D I've never had a reason to blow money on it before! I'm sad that winter coats, on the whole, are not that attractive. Stuff like this (LinkRemoved) probably isn't enough, huh? ):

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:37 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Totally gonna buy me some UA gear :D I've never had a reason to blow money on it before! I'm sad that winter coats, on the whole, are not that attractive. Stuff like this (LinkRemoved) probably isn't enough, huh? ):
Oh man, I LOVE winter coats! I like the pockets and the cool materials and the liners that zip in and the fact that if you pay enough for a jacket, it might have an avalanche beacon reflector built into the fabric somewhere (you know, in case there's an avalanche in Streeterville) and a goggle-wiping cloth on a strap inside a pocket, and the fact that they're WARM and comfy and washable and I can move my arms in them (I have very broad shoulders and most women's coats are just not happening, aside from ones built for active pursuits), and they're abso-fucking-lutely wind- and water-proof. In the past 5 years or so, women's winter coats have been designed much more with 'style' in mind. They're fitted to a female shape, with details you'd find on regular coats (faux fur, buckles, patterns, etc.), but still warm. Ok, they're probably still bulkier than just a pure 'stylish' coat, but that's what keeps you warm. And insulation has gotten a lot thinner and more lightweight.

foxylaxy

Postby foxylaxy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:39 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

^^yeah, what rinkrat said. I meant they're kinda like running leggings (I used to be in track, so if you see runners wearing those) but the inside is fleece lined, so they don't look fleecy on the outside. They also make them in tops. Nike etc. should have some too.

I don't own any puffy coats and manage just fine in the winter :lol:

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:55 pm

The outdoor-store guy recommended http://www.icebreaker.com for leggings.

260s are good for native West Coasters going to the Midwest, according to him. Even though it's Los Angeles, he seemed like someone who spends a lot of time in the arctic or something--big guy, big white beard like Santa. I trusted him and bought a couple of those and have had no complaints.

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:56 pm

We should probably be friends.

citygirl000

Postby citygirl000 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:21 pm

During my undergrad years, I would wear tights, jeans, at least 2 pairs of socks and Uggs. I would also wear a long sleeve shirt, a cashmere or thick wool sweater, a puffy long coat with a scarf covering my face + earmuffs and 2 pairs of gloves. With all that there were many times when I walked outside and thought I was going to die - as an example, one week in February I logged on to weather.com and it let me know for 7 straight days it was negative 10-13 degrees but felt like negative 24-27. Nothing is going to save you from that.

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:24 pm

citygirl000 wrote:During my undergrad years, I would wear tights, jeans, at least 2 pairs of socks and Uggs. I would also wear a long sleeve shirt, a cashmere or thick wool sweater, a puffy long coat with a scarf covering my face + earmuffs and 2 pairs of gloves. With all that there were many times when I walked outside and thought I was going to die - as an example, one week in February I logged on to weather.com and it let me know for 7 straight days it was negative 10-13 degrees but felt like negative 24-27. Nothing is going to save you from that.

I saw this and nearly pissed my pants...

foxylaxy

Postby foxylaxy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:30 pm

Also, heattech from Uniqlo works! I don't wear it by itself...still wear the UA but it works better than other things I use as layers for being so thin. Unfortunately, Uniqlo is in NYC and as far as I know doesn't do online orders to US. They do phone orders though.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:13 pm

As of today, we have received your complete application for scholarship aid (your Need Access application and Scholarship and Grant Supplemental Application). This means we have everything that we need to move forward on making our scholarship/grant decisions for the JD program.

YEssssssssssssssssssssssss.

...still not gonna get any money, but whatever. At least I tried. ):

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:18 pm

elibrarian wrote:

We should probably be friends.

Yes! Let's!

I'm a little clothing obsessed. As in, all my clothes can't be clean at once because I won't have enough closet space in my giant closet. I have a 50s figure, so it works out.

ETA: holy mother, that's cold. I'm going to die a little inside that first winter.

tjddk

Postby tjddk » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:32 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

I second the Cold Gear. I've only used them for skiing (because it's currently 60+ degrees outside right now...) but they're absolutely wonderful.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:05 am

Ooo yes let's talk winter clothing. I have nothing. Will need to buy everything.

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:10 am

Two words: Canada Goose

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:08 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:Two words: Canada Goose

TCR for winter wimps like me. My best friend from college got me and Expedition parka as gift for law school; this thing is amazing.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:39 pm

Went to the outlets today and got a bunch of $80 sweaters for about $12 each. I can't wear those in Texas at all. But I know exactly where I can wear them... :-D :-D

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:36 pm

Oh! Admitted students reception in NYC! Anyone else planning on attending? (hell, anyone else even in New York?)

foxylaxy

Postby foxylaxy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:32 pm

elibrarian wrote:Oh! Admitted students reception in NYC! Anyone else planning on attending? (hell, anyone else even in New York?)

I received this too, but I won't be going as I'm a Chicagoan and I have no funds for another NYC trip :/ I'm sure you'll find new classmates there though :P

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:07 pm

foxylaxy wrote:
elibrarian wrote:Oh! Admitted students reception in NYC! Anyone else planning on attending? (hell, anyone else even in New York?)

I received this too, but I won't be going as I'm a Chicagoan and I have no funds for another NYC trip :/ I'm sure you'll find new classmates there though :P

I hope so!

Super excited to be incredibly socially awkward, hooray.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:23 pm

Just got my portfolio!! SO PRETTY.

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:25 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Just got my portfolio!! SO PRETTY.

!!! NOOOO, I JUST FLEW OUT OF TOWN FOR WORK!

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:06 pm

I'm pumped for this manicure martini evening. I don't even care if there are too many of us to all get manicures. 2 martinis for $9 is a steal.

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:14 pm

I've started filling out the financial aid application. Anyone have any advice on how to answer the financial need portion of the app? I'm not sure what I should write and what I should leave out.

- I have worked at a decent paying job for the past 3-4 years and have some savings (but definitely not enough to pay for all 3 years of lawl school).
- No kids or spouse or anything like that
- No UG loans to pay off

If there's nothing that I can leverage to ask for need-based financial aid, should I just not address that part of the question at all?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:20 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:I've started filling out the financial aid application. Anyone have any advice on how to answer the financial need portion of the app? I'm not sure what I should write and what I should leave out.

- I have worked at a decent paying job for the past 3-4 years and have some savings (but definitely not enough to pay for all 3 years of lawl school).
- No kids or spouse or anything like that
- No UG loans to pay off

If there's nothing that I can leverage to ask for need-based financial aid, should I just not address that part of the question at all?

At the risk of outing myself, I spoke about how little money I make at my current job, and the fact that my parents ( the only potential source of wealth for me ) are paying for my sister to go to UG in a year, so I have no intention of asking them for anything. Then I reiterated how little money I've made, and how little savings I have. Don't harp on your lack of dependents, but definitely play up how low your savings are.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”