Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
kerflux

Re: Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

Postby kerflux » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:17 pm

The left turn bit is definitely a common practice in CA & I would wager that it's common in any area without left turn lights. You lived in northern California?

Btw I leave this Sunday - alternately nervous and excited. I'm bringing nothing but clothes, toiletries, and an xbox 360. I'm not sure what the credited response is for furnishing an entire apartment without access to a vehicle

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:48 pm

kerflux wrote: xbox 360

brave. not bringing my ps3.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:17 am

kerflux wrote:The left turn bit is definitely a common practice in CA & I would wager that it's common in any area without left turn lights. You lived in northern California?

Btw I leave this Sunday - alternately nervous and excited. I'm bringing nothing but clothes, toiletries, and an xbox 360. I'm not sure what the credited response is for furnishing an entire apartment without access to a vehicle

Whoo!! I get there a week after you, pretty stoked. Let me know how the complex is! SO excited to finally see my room soon, lol...

Also, if you're willing to wait 2 weeks (lol) we're doing a mass IKEA trip on the 18th. IDK how many people are already going, but I'd talk to Samara for details.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:01 am

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:03 am

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:12 am

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:21 am

lgleye wrote:
kerflux wrote:The left turn bit is definitely a common practice in CA & I would wager that it's common in any area without left turn lights. You lived in northern California?

For expediency and your sanity, I'd suggest using a reputable local discount dealer like Decorum Furniture. Might cost you a few bucks more, but it'll save you the hassle, leaving you calm as we approach orientation. (the pre-class week should be reserved for drinking and enjooing your last free time for the next 3 years.

As for Desks and file cabinets, I'd suggest Office Furnitore Liquidation......they've got brankes all over and I got a peacticallly-new commercial grade Steelcase 30x60 desk plus file cabinet for $300........ certainly resellable when you leave.

Relax. You will have free time, and I expect to see you guys represent your class at bar review on a regular basis. My class was curiously absent a lot of the time.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:02 pm

Icculus wrote:Relax. You will have free time, and I expect to see you guys represent your class at bar review on a regular basis. My class was curiously absent a lot of the time.

Haha, I don't think you'll have to worry about that. We already got a good start at ASW.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Icculus wrote:Relax. You will have free time, and I expect to see you guys represent your class at bar review on a regular basis. My class was curiously absent a lot of the time.

Oh trust me, we will be at bar review. :lol:

chill

Postby chill » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:57 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:04 pm

chill wrote:I have nothing substantial to contribute right now, but I just wanted to say that I am so, so excited to meet y'all.

ETA: and for bar review.

:D I second (third?) what everyone has been saying: I don't see bar review attendance as a problem with this group.

As for Ikea delivery, they did next day for me- as in, I shopped up until close (picture Samara and I running a kamikaze course through the warehouse as the loudspeaker chimes "Ikea is now closed. Ikea is now closed.") and they delivered the next day before 11am.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:46 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

Oh trust me, we will be at bar review. :lol:

jeninamillion

Postby jeninamillion » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:48 am

I recently just decided to go with my previous choice of NU thanks to Johann and am wayyyy behind on the pre matriculation check list. Does anyone know what the survey is for and how I get a hold of a password for it? I think I got an email telling me to fill it out and that the password would be emailed tome, but never received a follow up email.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:10 am

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:11 am

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:25 am

Yes, I'm thinking of buying one but I really don't know how it will work in winter.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:23 am

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:11 am

lgleye wrote:
lgleye wrote:Is anyone considering bringing/buying a bike? Images of peddling in the snow...........

You paln or riding it through city streets? Pretty busy.......... I saw lots of bikes on racks on the sidewalk but no one actually riding ........... except on the boardwalk/promenade along Lake Mich.

I'll be bringing my bike, but I'm living Lakeview, so I won't be riding it to campus. People ride bikes even downtown. I would avoid Michigan Ave, but other than that, it shouldn't be too bad if you are an experienced urban cyclist.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:38 pm

Samara wrote:
lgleye wrote:
lgleye wrote:Is anyone considering bringing/buying a bike? Images of peddling in the snow...........

You paln or riding it through city streets? Pretty busy.......... I saw lots of bikes on racks on the sidewalk but no one actually riding ........... except on the boardwalk/promenade along Lake Mich.

I'll be bringing my bike, but I'm living Lakeview, so I won't be riding it to campus. People ride bikes even downtown. I would avoid Michigan Ave, but other than that, it shouldn't be too bad if you are an experienced urban cyclist.
I brought my bike, but just for recreation/exercise riding on the Lake Shore trail and such. I'm not a big fan of urban riding.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:52 pm

Yes, lake shore looks really fun. I've done milder urban cycling than this, not completely sure how I feel about cycling in chi.

elizcbeth

Postby elizcbeth » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:50 pm

I'll be bringing my bike! I'll be living in Lakeview as well, but I intend on commuting to school with it. Cuts down on gym fees and clears my head before school.

So apparently Chicago doesn't have any helmet laws, but my goodness, my helmet sure has come in handy. I'll be the dork with the helmet head on the first day of class :)

Samara

Postby Samara » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:28 pm

elizcbeth wrote:I'll be bringing my bike! I'll be living in Lakeview as well, but I intend on commuting to school with it. Cuts down on gym fees and clears my head before school.

So apparently Chicago doesn't have any helmet laws, but my goodness, my helmet sure has come in handy. I'll be the dork with the helmet head on the first day of class :)

Are you living on the south side of Lakeview? That seems like a long-ass ride. Do you know if the lakeshore bike trail runs all the way from Lakeview to campus?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:49 pm

elizcbeth wrote:I'll be bringing my bike! I'll be living in Lakeview as well, but I intend on commuting to school with it. Cuts down on gym fees and clears my head before school.

Shoot I didn't even think about how I was going to bring my bike. Are you shipping it or taking it apart and bringing it as luggage on the plane? FUUUCK maybe I'll sell my old bike and buy a new one for Chicago.

I have a really bad track record with remembering/wanting to wear helmets :oops:

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:08 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

Shoot I didn't even think about how I was going to bring my bike. Are you shipping it or taking it apart and bringing it as luggage on the plane? FUUUCK maybe I'll sell my old bike and buy a new one for Chicago.

I have a really bad track record with remembering/wanting to wear helmets :oops:

I sold mine before I got out here and bought a new one, made my life much easier than getting out here. Granted this was because I basically forgot it in my basement at my old apartment so I just had a friend sell it for me and send the money. You can usually do pretty good on CL.

elizcbeth

Postby elizcbeth » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:18 pm

Lakeshore Dr continues all the way to the law school, but you have to blip over something (maybe a crosswalk or pedestrian bridge) to get over to the other side of Lakeshore... honestly, I don't really know...I'm trusting Google Maps with this. haha In any case, it's flat!! So excited for that! I am also probably not very representative of a normal biker... I used to live in Portland... but 4 miles isn't too bad?

I am renting a car and hitching my bike to the back. Shipping a bike is only ~$100 though last time I checked. Also, you can ship pretty large boxes with Greyhound for cheap. I have friends who have done that with a lot of success.

Also, biking is always more fun and safer with a group. Anyone down to join me sometime?

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”