Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
kerflux

Re: Northwestern c/o 2015 - where all da vacant apartments at?

Postby kerflux » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:34 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Also, I applied for the NU Law Prep class. It's only 4 days and orientation starts right after anyway. IMO, the worst thing that can happen is that it is useless and merely an exercise in drinking excessively and showing up to 'class'.

Anyone have an idea of when we actually get our class schedules / figure out what section we're in? Apologies if already answered.

Is there some kind of rateyourprofessor website that students use? I mean, I understand that 1Ls generally have no latitude over their professors, but I thought it might be nice to get a sneak peek

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:58 pm

kerflux wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Also, I applied for the NU Law Prep class. It's only 4 days and orientation starts right after anyway. IMO, the worst thing that can happen is that it is useless and merely an exercise in drinking excessively and showing up to 'class'.

Anyone have an idea of when we actually get our class schedules / figure out what section we're in? Apologies if already answered.

Is there some kind of rateyourprofessor website that students use? I mean, I understand that 1Ls generally have no latitude over their professors, but I thought it might be nice to get a sneak peek

I'm just going to use this thread as my rateyourprofessor substitute. :lol:

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:13 pm

Ya, it seems we get no choice at all, except for a couple of unannounced professors. From the Taking Q's thread I honestly think I'd be happy in any of the sections, they seem to each have a good mix.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:55 pm

kerflux wrote:Anyone have an idea of when we actually get our class schedules / figure out what section we're in? Apologies if already answered.

Last year we got our schedules/sections the Friday before orientation.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:04 pm

kerflux wrote:

No point in dwelling on your profs' reputations first semester because you don't get any choice in the matter. You will have access to their course evaluations in Caesar, but they aren't always helpful or accurate.

As others said, you get your schedules during orientation.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:10 pm

Sucks to be you, future section two.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:12 pm

bdubs wrote:
kerflux wrote:

No point in dwelling on your profs' reputations first semester because you don't get any choice in the matter. You will have access to their course evaluations in Caesar, but they aren't always helpful or accurate.

As others said, you get your schedules during orientation.

I'm just praying I don't get the professor who grades on a curve for LRW. >_<

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:15 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:I'm just praying I don't get the professor who grades on a curve for LRW. >_<

My CLR prof would have had to give higher grades if we had been graded on a mandatory curve.

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:20 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Sucks to be you, future section two.

Uh oh, I don't like the sound of this...

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:25 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:

yeah... +1. elaborate so we can live in more detailed fear?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:36 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
kennethellenparcell wrote:

yeah... +1. elaborate so we can live in more detailed fear?

haha, I was just looking at this year's 1L profs and noticed that section 2 will have both the lovely and humble Ron Allen for Civ Pro AND our beloved new dean for property.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:47 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:I'm just praying I don't get the professor who grades on a curve for LRW. >_<

My CLR prof would have had to give higher grades if we had been graded on a mandatory curve.

D:

wat. I thought that most professors grade pretty easily for LRW. HAVE I BEEN LIED TO?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:48 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

D:

wat. I thought that most professors grade pretty easily for LRW. HAVE I BEEN LIED TO?

Unfortunately, I think the answer to this is yes.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:11 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

D:

Yes. You'll get some of the lowest grades of your life in CLR even if you do well relative to the class. Median on assignments in my CLR section was around 65-70% throughout the semester. The thing to keep in mind (depending on your prof, of course) is that your numerical score does not necessarily indicate your final letter grade.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:12 am

Holly Golightly wrote:haha, I was just looking at this year's 1L profs and noticed that section 2 will have both the lovely and humble Ron Allen for Civ Pro AND our beloved new dean for property.

holy shit

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:09 am

kerflux wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:it's free and you literally don't have anything better to do.

lol, k. I've never been one to do anything extra in school, ever, but I figure if I'm going to pay sticker a little extra prep can't hurt. It also said it's not mandatory, so if completely useless idk if you'd have to stick through the whole thing

On a different note, I fly in at 5AM and my leasing office isn't open to sign the papers and give me the key until 9. Fml, lol
FWIW, I got one of those firm-sponsored waivers to Law Preview and will be attending. I didn't apply for the NU one because I'd already committed to Law Preview and figured one mostly-useless prep session was plenty.

I hope to use it to get back into classroom mode after 10 years, and to figure out how to take notes on a laptop, since we didn't have that new-fangled shit back in my UG day.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:02 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
kerflux wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:it's free and you literally don't have anything better to do.

lol, k. I've never been one to do anything extra in school, ever, but I figure if I'm going to pay sticker a little extra prep can't hurt. It also said it's not mandatory, so if completely useless idk if you'd have to stick through the whole thing

On a different note, I fly in at 5AM and my leasing office isn't open to sign the papers and give me the key until 9. Fml, lol
FWIW, I got one of those firm-sponsored waivers to Law Preview and will be attending. I didn't apply for the NU one because I'd already committed to Law Preview and figured one mostly-useless prep session was plenty.

I hope to use it to get back into classroom mode after 10 years, and to figure out how to take notes on a laptop, since we didn't have that new-fangled shit back in my UG day.

These are good reason, imo, to take the class. But for the love of spaghetti, don't ever start a sentence with "In my law preview class, we learned..." to your classmates. It's beyond annoying. If you feel like you have invaluable info to share, you probably don't. But if you really do, frame it in some other way. Not that you would, rink, but just fyi.

NorthwesternorBust

Postby NorthwesternorBust » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:10 pm

I was encouraged to ask random questions I had... so here is one. How do you opt out of the school's health insurance again? Was a little confused by the instructions for this. I am glad now though because Caesar finally says I have nothing on my to do list. It kept showing a couple things I had finished weeks ago.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:15 pm

NorthwesternorBust wrote:I was encouraged to ask random questions I had... so here is one. How do you opt out of the school's health insurance again? Was a little confused by the instructions for this. I am glad now though because Caesar finally says I have nothing on my to do list. It kept showing a couple things I had finished weeks ago.

What are you choosing to do instead? I'm curious about other options, but the Aetna plan seems to be the best choice for my situation.

To opt out, log into CAESAR, click Main Menu, hover over For Applicants, then click Health Coverage Plan. Then choose Option 2: Waiver and click submit. Done!

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:18 pm

Oh shit, that reminds me, I haven't done ANY of the Orientation requirements yet. O_O;; Gotta get on that sheeit.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:19 pm

It's in Caesar

EDIT: SCOOPED

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:20 pm

Orientation requirements? Are you talking about omeing other than sending transcripts?

NorthwesternorBust

Postby NorthwesternorBust » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:21 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Oh shit, that reminds me, I haven't done ANY of the Orientation requirements yet. O_O;; Gotta get on that sheeit.

Yeah, what do you mean exactly? :lol:

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:22 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:Orientation requirements? Are you talking about omeing other than sending transcripts?

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/orientation/jd.html (Pre-Matriculation Guide link)

Haven't done any of it :oops:

NorthwesternorBust

Postby NorthwesternorBust » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:23 pm

Samara wrote:
NorthwesternorBust wrote:I was encouraged to ask random questions I had... so here is one. How do you opt out of the school's health insurance again? Was a little confused by the instructions for this. I am glad now though because Caesar finally says I have nothing on my to do list. It kept showing a couple things I had finished weeks ago.

What are you choosing to do instead? I'm curious about other options, but the Aetna plan seems to be the best choice for my situation.

To opt out, log into CAESAR, click Main Menu, hover over For Applicants, then click Health Coverage Plan. Then choose Option 2: Waiver and click submit. Done!

Thanks! And I'm going to stay on my parent's plan for 2 years... then find one on my own.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”