Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
rinkrat19

Re: Northwestern c/o 2015 - where all da vacant apartments at?

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:50 pm

Samara wrote:
Flips88 wrote:If you're using a CTA card (i.e. not cash) then the first fare is $2.25 and the transfer to the bus will only cost you 25 cents.

I've never figured out how to do it. :oops: Do you have to do something special to transfer? I'm pretty sure the one time I tried, I paid double. Oh well, I'll have a pass by the time I need to do it again.
I tried to transfer bus to bus the first time I was there. I was basically stoned in public for asking. Apparently we don't do that in Chicago. :|

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:54 pm

Flips88 wrote:If you're using a CTA card (i.e. not cash) then the first fare is $2.25 and the transfer to the bus will only cost you 25 cents.

I don't think we get our CTA cards till September, so those of us flying in will be using cash.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:57 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

I don't think we get our CTA cards till September, so those of us flying in will be using cash.

You can load the cash onto a card at a machine right before you get on.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:00 pm

We have to pay when we use our NU CTA cards? I thought we got unlimited rides.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:01 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:We have to pay when we use our NU CTA cards? I thought we got unlimited rides.

:?: The NU cards are unlimited uses. But we don't get them until Sept, so before then, you're on your own. Cash on a card or prepaid passes.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:04 pm

Samara wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:We have to pay when we use our NU CTA cards? I thought we got unlimited rides.

:?: The NU cards are unlimited uses. But we don't get them until Sept, so before then, you're on your own. Cash on a card or prepaid passes.

OK, I was just confused what flips was referring to when he said "CTA cards".

I bought two 3 day passes, and I'll probably just pay per ride for the rest of the days.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:24 pm

Yeah, you get the U-Pass the first day of orientation I'm pretty sure.

gatorspader

Postby gatorspader » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:15 pm

I was wondering what people wear in Law School? After watching The Paper Chase I realized I have no attire what the normal attire is. What should I be stocking up on?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:18 pm

gatorspader wrote:I was wondering what people wear in Law School? After watching The Paper Chase I realized I have no attire what the normal attire is. What should I be stocking up on?

Definitely wear exactly what the fictional characters in a movie set in 1973 wear.

Or jeans and shirts, like a normal college student. Whichever. :P

siscokyd

Postby siscokyd » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:21 pm

Business casual is more than fine.Make sure you have one nice business suit,
clean well polished shoes

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:24 pm

gatorspader wrote:I was wondering what people wear in Law School? After watching The Paper Chase I realized I have no attire what the normal attire is. What should I be stocking up on?

I'm pretty sure everyone will just be wearing what they wear normally. No one will be in PJ's like in UG, but no one is going to be wearing suits or business casual to class either. Relax, bro, no one's judging you based on what you wear anyway. :lol:

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:28 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

I'm pretty sure everyone will just be wearing what they wear normally. No one will be in PJ's like in UG, but no one is going to be wearing suits or business casual to class either. Relax, bro, no one's judging you based on what you wear anyway. :lol:

As soon as there is a foot of snow on the ground, I'm using it as an excuse to wear my purple-and-pink-paisley snowpants to school. Don't think I won't do it. :wink:

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:30 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:As soon as there is a foot of snow on the ground, I'm using it as an excuse to wear my purple-and-pink-paisley snowpants to school. Don't think I won't do it. :wink:

I cannot wait to see these pants XD

Do people normally wear snow pants around the city? Or do people tough it out and wear jeans in the snow? Or does there exist some sort of middle ground?

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:31 pm

Girls can wear anything, but this is TCR for guys, all day, every day.

gatorspader

Postby gatorspader » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:34 pm

These responses are making me feel better. I was hoping I wouldn't have to leave all of my daytime flannel footy pajamas at home!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:36 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:As soon as there is a foot of snow on the ground, I'm using it as an excuse to wear my purple-and-pink-paisley snowpants to school. Don't think I won't do it. :wink:

Do people normally wear snow pants around the city? Or do people tough it out and wear jeans in the snow? Or does there exist some sort of middle ground?

I doubt people wear actual snowpants in the city unless it's snowpocalypse and they're driving the snowplow. A middle ground would be long underwear under heavy jeans, tall boots and a long coat.
Walking three blocks to school, I'm sure the middle ground would be fine. I'm really only bringing a pair of snowpants to Chicago in case I want to go outside and play in the snow. I'd wear them to school for the lulz.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:39 pm

splitsplat wrote:Girls can wear anything, but this is TCR for guys, all day, every day.

Barney is always TCR. Also, guy in a suit = instant +5 hotness points. Especially if it's well tailored.
rinkrat19 wrote:I doubt people wear actual snowpants in the city unless it's snowpocalypse and they're driving the snowplow. A middle ground would be long underwear under heavy jeans, tall boots and a long coat.
Walking three blocks to school, I'm sure the middle ground would be fine. I'm really only bringing a pair of snowpants to Chicago in case I want to go outside and play in the snow. I'd wear them to school for the lulz.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Need to invest in some FLEECE LINED TIGHTS :D :D :D I'm going to see if I can handle dresses in the dead of winter if I own fleece lined tights (prediction: probably not :oops: )

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:01 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

Don't say no one.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:44 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

In St. Louis winters, I usually wore jeans with warm leggings underneath. That plus boots and my Dany recommended parka will, I hope, get me through :)

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:15 pm

I have some flanel lined jeans from Eddie Bauer. Worked well for me in the winter.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:22 pm

Flips88 wrote:I have some flanel lined jeans from Eddie Bauer. Worked well for me in the winter.

Woah, I didn't know those existed. That sounds legit and comfy as fuck.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:32 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Flips88 wrote:I have some flanel lined jeans from Eddie Bauer. Worked well for me in the winter.

Woah, I didn't know those existed. That sounds legit and comfy as fuck.

I don't like them- mositure soaks through too quickly.

Tall boots, layered legs (jeans, tights, silk long jonhs) and long coat for really cold days.

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:01 pm

lol, I'm glad someone else posed this question. I just assumed it would be business casual.

re: clothing in chicago - when do you actually have to start wearing winter clothes? is it just a few months out of the year or...? we don't have seasons over here, so this is all new

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:20 pm

kerflux wrote:lol, I'm glad someone else posed this question. I just assumed it would be business casual.

re: clothing in chicago - when do you actually have to start wearing winter clothes? is it just a few months out of the year or...? we don't have seasons over here, so this is all new

You can probably assume shitty weather from November through February. Chilly in late October and March.

This year was pretty atypical--mild winter and hot as hell summer.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:21 pm

kerflux wrote:lol, I'm glad someone else posed this question. I just assumed it would be business casual.

It depends on the person. All you California people will probably start bundling up in October, whereas I usually try to avoid wearing my winter coat until December. Winters can vary a lot as well. Sometimes the snow starts before Thanksgiving, other times it doesn't start until January.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”