Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Blumpbeef

Re: Northwestern c/o 2015 - where all da vacant apartments at?

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:50 am

Fabulist wrote:Speaking of computers, what's the story with the requirements? I can't imagine they're really needed for anything that resource-intensive. I've got a netbook I've used for taking notes/writing papers for a while, anyone know of a good reason it wouldn't work?

Personally, if I was going to type for extended periods of time on a NetBook my hands would fall off.

And a big screen is nice so you can have TLS another document open next to your notes.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:02 am

Fabulist wrote:Speaking of computers, what's the story with the requirements? I can't imagine they're really needed for anything that resource-intensive. I've got a netbook I've used for taking notes/writing papers for a while, anyone know of a good reason it wouldn't work?

I would hate taking exams on a netbook, but in terms of what is needed for school/exams as long as it can run word you should be fine. I think the minimum screen size you should use is 13 inches, though I know several people who use netbooks.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:35 am

To me a 14" screen is pushing the boundaries of minimum screen area I'm willing to tolerate in Word, so a netbook would make me crazy. Not to mention trying to type on a mini keyboard. But if you're used to it, those complaints are irrelevant.

As for the minimum specs required by NU, they do seem rather high for just using Word and OneNote, but they might be minimum specs required by the whole University's IT department for all majors. Some majors are going to be running more intensive stuff than Office. (That said, the website is pretty clear that the Unversity minimum recommdendations are required for JD students.)

Netbooks are also made of cheaper components that are more likely to fail halfway at 3am the night before an exam. What is your level of risk aversion?

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:26 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Netbooks are also made of cheaper components that are more likely to fail halfway at 3am the night before an exam. What is your level of risk aversion?

I don't think this is the case.

If you're really risk averse you buy a laptop and use a netbook as a backup.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:04 pm

I've been using a 10 inch netbook as my only computer for the past 2 years and it's worked just fine for me (and only cost 150 bucks).

With that said, it's a hassle if you're using it to do a lot of intense things at once (ie: 20 tabs on chrome, tinychat, and high res photo editing), so I'll be purchasing a larger laptop with the money from my loans for law school. If you're just using it for notes and class-related stuff, you'll be fine.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:44 am

Have we done the whole 'when are y'all moving in' discussion yet?? I just (sorta) finalized my apartment and I'm super stoked!!!!!!

>> IKEA PARTIES

>> DRINKING WITH FELLOW CLASSMATES

>> BEGGING DANY TO HELP ME DECORATE MY APARTMENT

these are a few of my favorite things... :mrgreen:

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:45 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:Have we done the whole 'when are y'all moving in' discussion yet?? I just (sorta) finalized my apartment and I'm super stoked!!!!!!

>> IKEA PARTIES

Nice! Glad you found a place :-)

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:51 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:Have we done the whole 'when are y'all moving in' discussion yet?? I just (sorta) finalized my apartment and I'm super stoked!!!!!!

>> IKEA PARTIES

Congrats! I'm looking for a new place now and it sucks. Glad you're finished.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:47 pm

>> IKEA PARTIES

I need to listen in on this decorating advice... my place still looks bare. I have no decorating skills.

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:36 pm

trying to buy my plane ticket right now.. is it best to fly in to O'Hare? And what do you think about getting from airport -> new apt.(in the same neighborhood as the LS)- is the best route a taxi?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:38 pm

kerflux wrote:trying to buy my plane ticket right now.. is it best to fly in to O'Hare? And what do you think about getting from airport -> new apt. - is the best route a taxi?
If you're going downtown, there's not a big difference between the airports. And yes, take a taxi unless you are ok taking train+bus, 2 trains, train+walking, etc. with whatever you are bringing with you.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:40 pm

kerflux wrote:trying to buy my plane ticket right now.. is it best to fly in to O'Hare? And what do you think about getting from airport -> new apt.(in the same neighborhood as the LS)- is the best route a taxi?

This really depends on when you're getting in. If it's rush hour the traffic sucks and a cab would be really expensive unless you make sure to get a flat rate. I like O'Hare better than midway.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:45 pm

kerflux wrote:trying to buy my plane ticket right now.. is it best to fly in to O'Hare? And what do you think about getting from airport -> new apt.(in the same neighborhood as the LS)- is the best route a taxi?

How much stuff are you going to have with you? I would do Blue Line -> Red Line unless you have a lot of stuff. It's like $40 for a cab and if you're landing between 2pm and 6pm, it will take just as long to get downtown.

ETA: IIRC, it's like $40 before taxes, airport surcharges and a fuel surcharge. Midway is kind of crappy airport, but a little faster to downtown.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:52 pm

Not totally relevant but traveling in and out of Chicago about 8 times a year, I always prefer Midway over O'Hare. Smaller, easier, far fewer delays, and perfectly good food and facilities. O'Hare, if anything, is kind of a crappy airport.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:57 pm

basilseal wrote:Not totally relevant but traveling in and out of Chicago about 8 times a year, I always prefer Midway over O'Hare. Smaller, easier, far fewer delays, and perfectly good food and facilities. O'Hare, if anything, is kind of a crappy airport.

Interesting. I'm pretty much the opposite, haha, but maybe it's because I'm currently in the NW suburbs, making O'Hare far more convenient. Midway is definitely smaller, but getting to the train is a pain and driving is awful. It's a bit faster to downtown, but the farther north you want to go, the shorter it becomes from O'Hare.

I haven't had many delays at O'Hare, but maybe I'm lucky. And sorry, but the food simply doesn't compare, if for no other reason than the existence of Frontera at O'Hare.

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:59 pm

Sweet, thanks for the tips. I'm not sure exactly what I'll have with me, probably just the clothes on my back and whatever bags they allow me to take on the plane, lol. I'll work on furnishing the apartment once I get there.

Anyone have any suggestions per airlines - departing from CA? And I suppose opting for an earlier arrival (10am or so?) would be good, to avoid rush hour? Not to be a nuisance with all the q's, but I figure any advice is better than the very vague understanding of what to do that I have now.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:26 pm

I believe it is a flat rate to downtown from both airports, somewhere around $40.

Midway doesn't have free wi-fi. (Obviously less important when arriving than when departing.) I liked O'Hare better, but not enough to affect which plane ticket to buy unless both are exactly the same price. Both were easy to navigate around by signs, having never been there before.

I took a taxi the time I flew into O'Hare, and took the train downtown the time I flew into Midway. The train was LONG, and it's confusing when you need to switch lines, because you can't tell which damn direction to get on the next train unless you know the name of the end stop--and there are no maps underground on the train platforms that I could find. (Note to self: learn the names of the end stops.) I don't know why they don't label it Red-North/Red-South instead of [random street name in the boonies]. This will all get better with familiarity, but I wouldn't want to do it virgin, alone and with the maximum amount of luggage.

I also get REALLY disoriented when I come out of an underground station onto the street. Even with my phone map, I have the hardest time figuring out which direction I'm facing unless I can actually see the lake. Usually I have good city directional sense, but that subway fucks me all up.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:01 pm

IIRC you can take the blue line straight to downtown from O'Hare. It's really easy. Someone please correct me if my memory is lying to me though, because 2/3 of the times I flew in through O'Hare, someone picked me up in a car.

Also, I've only ever flown in through O'Hare and I've found it to be great. They also have a really delicious torta restaurant in the B gates area that incompetentia told me about. Nomnomnom.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:14 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I don't know why they don't label it Red-North/Red-South instead of [random street name in the boonies]. This will all get better with familiarity, but I wouldn't want to do it virgin, alone and with the maximum amount of luggage.

In NY the train that goes North from Manhattan is called the Southeast train, because the name of the northernmost city on the line is Southeast.

I was so horribly confused.

"No, I don't want to go on the Southeast Train. I just need help finding the North Train"

When I went to Chicago last time I got off in the middle of downtown and walked a bit over a mile to NU. I don't think I can manage that this time with double the luggage. Not sure if I should do zip car or taxi though.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:22 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I don't know why they don't label it Red-North/Red-South instead of [random street name in the boonies]. This will all get better with familiarity, but I wouldn't want to do it virgin, alone and with the maximum amount of luggage.

In NY the train that goes North from Manhattan is called the Southeast train, because the name of the northernmost city on the line is Southeast.

"No, I don't want to go on the Southeast Train. I just need help finding the North Train"

When I went to Chicago last time I got off in the middle of downtown and walked a bit over a mile to NU. I don't think I can manage that this time with double the luggage. Not sure if I should do zip car or taxi though.

A mile ride on a taxi downtown should be relatively cheap. Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong since I've only been in a taxi in Chicago like twice.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:38 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I believe it is a flat rate to downtown from both airports, somewhere around $40.

Midway doesn't have free wi-fi. (Obviously less important when arriving than when departing.) I liked O'Hare better, but not enough to affect which plane ticket to buy unless both are exactly the same price. Both were easy to navigate around by signs, having never been there before.

I took a taxi the time I flew into O'Hare, and took the train downtown the time I flew into Midway. The train was LONG, and it's confusing when you need to switch lines, because you can't tell which damn direction to get on the next train unless you know the name of the end stop--and there are no maps underground on the train platforms that I could find. (Note to self: learn the names of the end stops.) I don't know why they don't label it Red-North/Red-South instead of [random street name in the boonies]. This will all get better with familiarity, but I wouldn't want to do it virgin, alone and with the maximum amount of luggage.

I also get REALLY disoriented when I come out of an underground station onto the street. Even with my phone map, I have the hardest time figuring out which direction I'm facing unless I can actually see the lake. Usually I have good city directional sense, but that subway fucks me all up.

It shows the stop on the map, so you find where you are, find your stop, then look at the last one. Most of the lines don't run straight. The Blue Line, for example, runs roughly southeast from O'Hare, south through downtown, then back out west to Forest Park. If you are downtown, how else would you distinguish between west to O'Hare and west to Forest Park? I guess I'm just used to it and don't know another way.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:43 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:

A mile ride on a taxi downtown should be relatively cheap. Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong since I've only been in a taxi in Chicago like twice.

Yeah, it wouldn't be too bad, but you don't have to do that. From the Blue Line, get off at the Chicago stop and take the 66 bus east (usually it's towards Navy Pier). It drops you off a block from the law school. Note: I don't know how to do this without double paying, so this is a good option if you have a day pass. Alternatively, take the Blue Line downtown to the Red Line transfer station (I think it's Jackson) and ride the Red Line up to the stop nearest your apartment. That won't get you quite as close as the bus, but it's gets you within a few blocks.

I don't think Zipcar would work because you have to take it back.

When are y'all flying in? PM me and I might be able to give you a ride. I live very close to O'Hare and will be making several trips into the city in August.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:45 pm

If you're using a CTA card (i.e. not cash) then the first fare is $2.25 and the transfer to the bus will only cost you 25 cents.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:47 pm

Flips88 wrote:If you're using a CTA card (i.e. not cash) then the first fare is $2.25 and the transfer to the bus will only cost you 25 cents.

I've never figured out how to do it. :oops: Do you have to do something special to transfer? I'm pretty sure the one time I tried, I paid double. Oh well, I'll have a pass by the time I need to do it again.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:49 pm

Samara wrote:
Flips88 wrote:If you're using a CTA card (i.e. not cash) then the first fare is $2.25 and the transfer to the bus will only cost you 25 cents.

I've never figured out how to do it. :oops: Do you have to do something special to transfer? I'm pretty sure the one time I tried, I paid double. Oh well, I'll have a pass by the time I need to do it again.

you just gotta put the money on a card. there are machines at all the train stops to add cash and get a card.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”