Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Flips88

Re: Northwestern c/o 2015 - where all da vacant apartments at?

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:47 pm

Just FYI, the schedule came out. You won't know your section again for another month or so, but the profs are split up as follows:
Section 1:
Civ Pro: Redish
Contracts: Bennett
Torts: Murphey
Crim: Nadler

Section 2:
Civ Pro: Allen
Contracts: TBA
Torts: Shapo
Property: Dean Rodriguez
Section 3:
Civ Pro: TBA
Contracts: Brennan
Torts: Friedman
Crim: Rubinowitz

Section 4:
Civ Pro: Pfander
Contracts: Lupo
Property: TBA

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:58 pm

Flips88 wrote:Just FYI, the schedule came out. You won't know your section again for another month or so, but the profs are split up as follows:
Section 1:
Civ Pro: Redish
Contracts: Bennett
Torts: Murphey
Crim: Nadler

Section 2:
Civ Pro: Allen
Contracts: TBA
Torts: Shapo
Property: Dean Rodriguez
Section 3:
Civ Pro: TBA
Contracts: Brennan
Crim: Rubinowitz

Section 4:
Civ Pro: Pfander
Contracts: Lupo
Property: TBA
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THESE WORDS MEAN BUT I AM EXCITE. :wink:

Are class day/hours out as well?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:27 pm

Yeah, the time slots looked the same. So for Section 1, Redish is one of NU's hot shot profs. Heard good things about Bennett also. Section 2, you get a class taught by the new Dean and by Shapo, who is a NU legend (been teaching here since like 1978. He was my torts prof and he's awesome.). Section 3, Len Rubinowitz is supposed to be an awesome teacher. Don't know the other two. Section 4, Pfander is a great teacher and an up and coming big shot in the Civ Pro world. Lupo is dean of students and supposed to be a great lecturer.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:41 pm

Flips88 wrote:Yeah, the time slots looked the same. So for Section 1, Redish is one of NU's hot shot profs. Heard good things about Bennett also. Section 2, you get a class taught by the new Dean and by Shapo, who is a NU legend (been teaching here since like 1978. He was my torts prof and he's awesome.). Section 3, Len Rubinowitz is supposed to be an awesome teacher. Don't know the other two. Section 4, Pfander is a great teacher and an up and coming big shot in the Civ Pro world. Lupo is dean of students and supposed to be a great lecturer.

So of all the profs listed I've only had Redish (Civ Pro II) and Bennett (contracts) I'd be happy to sell my contracts book to anyone looking and I also used the Civ Pro book written by Pfander and Redish so I am assuming they'd use the same one. though Redish hinted they were going to print a new edition to get some money. I'm not quite sure if he was joking.

As for Bennett, he is fun to listen to, very humorous, and not bad first thing in the morning. That said, be prepared to be confused as all hell throughout the course, it will not make sense until you start to outline. Especially since he spends the first few weeks discussing the remedies of breach of contract before you really even know what a contract is. He is also all about the restatements and doesn't even touch the UCC. (This will make more sense as the semester progresses). He will also invite you to his office for an espresso. You should go, he loves when students come to visit and is a lot of fun to talk to. He also used to be dean of the law school and is probably one of the smartest profs in the school. You will learn to love a character named contract man. Redish and Bennett in the same section means you will have at least two classes which are actually enjoyable and entertaining to sit through.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:51 pm

Icculus wrote:
Flips88 wrote: Heard good things about Bennett also.

As for Bennett, he is fun to listen to, very humorous, and not bad first thing in the morning. You will learn to love a character named contract man. Redish and Bennett in the same section means you will have at least two classes which are actually enjoyable and entertaining to sit through.

:shock:

I....disagree.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:53 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Icculus wrote:

As for Bennett, he is fun to listen to, very humorous, and not bad first thing in the morning. You will learn to love a character named contract man. Redish and Bennett in the same section means you will have at least two classes which are actually enjoyable and entertaining to sit through.

I....disagree.

I liked him, I just think I learned very little from his class. He was pretty funny.

Edit: I am assuming you're referring to Bennett here. I view him the same as the crotchety old uncle/grandfather who doesn't really have a filter. You can't argue he's also brilliant, he just isn't a very good teacher. His southern accent impersonation was pretty damn spot on as well. And yes, contract man does get old the 3rd or 4th time you hear about him and his swooping.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:00 pm

Icculus wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
Icculus wrote:

I....disagree.

I liked him, I just think I learned very little from his class. He was pretty funny.

Edit: I am assuming you're referring to Bennett here. I view him the same as the crotchety old uncle/grandfather who doesn't really have a filter. You can't argue he's also brilliant, he just isn't a very good teacher. His southern accent impersonation was pretty damn spot on as well.

I never found him particularly humorous (except for the southern accent thing). As for his brilliance, I'm sure its there but it was never on display in class, really.

EDIT: The good thing about having Bennet early is that you can feel okay sleeping in and knowing you can still do very well.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:04 pm

splitmuch wrote: I never found him particularly humorous (except for the southern accent thing). As for his brilliance, I'm sure its there but it was never on display in class, really.

EDIT: The good thing about having Bennet early is that you can feel okay sleeping in and knowing you can still do very well.

This is true.

I wish at least one section had Cameron, now he was funny, though I know many in our section who would disagree. He was probably my favorite from first semester.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:24 pm

Icculus wrote:
splitmuch wrote: I never found him particularly humorous (except for the southern accent thing). As for his brilliance, I'm sure its there but it was never on display in class, really.

This is true.

I wish at least one section had Cameron, now he was funny, though I know many in our section who would disagree. He was probably my favorite from first semester.

100% Agree

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:30 pm

My thoughts on Bob Bennett as a professor: he is a very nice man.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:29 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:My thoughts on Bob Bennett as a professor: he is a very nice man.

+1. And I think 90% of my section would agree.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:59 pm

Just noticed that the Spring schedule is up too. Looks like Kleinfeld is teaching Crim for both sections 2 and 4 in the Spring. Hit me up for an outline and/or a book then. no guarantee he hasn't changed both his syllabus or book choice since last year was his first outing.

crumpetsandtea

Re: Northwestern c/o 2015 - leading the T14 in bacon consumption

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:24 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Anyone else a browncoat Firefly geek fan?

The Portage Theater in Chicago will be hosting one of the annual charity showings of Serenity on September 8. I've been to one before; it's pretty fun to see it on a big screen and lol at the people who dress up like the characters. (I may or may not have a cunning hat of my own.)

http://www.chicagolandbrowncoats.com/

Unfortunately the theater is way the hell out in...some neighborhood I don't know. Irving Park/Portage Park, I guess?

OMG Im so late to this but I AM SO DOWN.

I kind of want to dress up but I have no idea how to even do something like that.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:25 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

The Portage Theater in Chicago will be hosting one of the annual charity showings of Serenity on September 8. I've been to one before; it's pretty fun to see it on a big screen and lol at the people who dress up like the characters. (I may or may not have a cunning hat of my own.)

Unfortunately the theater is way the hell out in...some neighborhood I don't know. Irving Park/Portage Park, I guess?

I kind of want to dress up but I have no idea how to even do something like that.

Jesus how did I miss this? YES. Let us attempt costumes.

Fabulist

Postby Fabulist » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:32 am

Edit--nevermind.
Last edited by Fabulist on Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:00 am

franklyscarlet wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

Can't decide if I am Zoe or Kaylee.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:01 am

Would this be the right place to point out I saw Joss Whedon last weekend?

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:09 am

PSA about the Facebook Group:

The mods are only supposed to accept into the group people on the "official list" from the admissions office. The admisisons office is in slow mode for the summer, thus the list is not updated regularly (and hasn't been in a long time, etc.). The mods cannot make the office give them things faster, particularly since the list updater is on extended vacation. If you're annoyed, consider joining the student admissions committee next year. :-)

This has been a PSA. Thank you.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:28 am

Nzelibe not teaching K's means the 1Ls are missing out on the best early morning comedy hour NU has to offer.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:10 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

Can't decide if I am Zoe or Kaylee.

I'm going straight up Inara. Dark hair, flowy clothes, lots of makeup? I can do that.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:32 pm

Facebook group description updated, so email Ginger if you're not getting approved.

Welcome to the Northwestern University School of Law!

This group is open to all students admitted to Northwestern Law's Class of 2015. Current students will post useful information and also monitor the discussion boards to answer any questions you might have.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu

If your request to join is not approved within a day or so, email gtanton@nlaw.northwestern.edu from your @nlaw account.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:58 pm

Thanks for the update Eugenie

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:26 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:36 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:56 pm

lgleye wrote:
btw, where do the prof's keep their past exams? Or can they be purchase?
I know most other schools, but vary in method of obtaining them.

They're on the library website. Each prof is allowed to release however many they want. Most released a couple or more or gave a practice midterm that gave you a feel for an exam also.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”