Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Samara

Re: Northwestern c/o 2015 - leading the T14 in bacon consumption

Postby Samara » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:58 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
elibrarian wrote:I know I moved fairly early but I had no problem finding a place. Literally walked around the neighborhood we were looking in (Lincoln Park. I second how easy it is to get to the law school from here), saw a for rent sign in the window, went in and then signed a lease the next day. There are literally about ten to fifteen apartments on my street alone with current for rent signs. Many of these buildings do not advertise online, mine included.

I get the allure of living in a high rise close to campus but for me I'd rather spend the twenty minutes getting to class and paying a decent rent for a pretty giant space.

Good luck to everyone though!
Many of us didn't/don't have the luxury of walking around the area. And by the time you can get a damn realtor to even return a phone call, most of the listings have been snapped up.

I was feeling a little iffy about settling for a place smaller than I'd wanted, but seeing the difficulty some people are having at this point, I'm feeling pretty lucky to have gotten it (mini dishwasher or no).

I think either the market is highly seasonal or it exploded in the past couple months. When I started inquiring back in May, everyone was like NBD, check back in July, there's tons of stuff. Now, everybody's talking about how crazy the market is.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:06 pm

Since we're talking about furniture, why do all dining sets have to be either incredibly ugly or incredibly expensive? Anyone had any good luck finding a reasonably priced ($300ish) set that you could actually stand to eat at?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:19 pm

Kikero wrote:Since we're talking about furniture, why do all dining sets have to be either incredibly ugly or incredibly expensive? Anyone had any good luck finding a reasonably priced ($300ish) set that you could actually stand to eat at?
I got this one: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40134347/

It's not my favorite thing ever, but it actually looks reasonably okay in person for $179. (And by okay, I mean at least it's not made of plastic.)

Amazon has a few that are not entirely hideous. No idea how cheap/nice that Coaster brand looks in person.
http://www.amazon.com/Coaster-Mission-D ... dining+set
http://www.amazon.com/Coaster-Contempor ... dining+set

ETA: Sorry, those prices are just the tables, not for a set with chairs. I am entirely unhelpful.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:30 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Kikero wrote:Since we're talking about furniture, why do all dining sets have to be either incredibly ugly or incredibly expensive? Anyone had any good luck finding a reasonably priced ($300ish) set that you could actually stand to eat at?

It's not my favorite thing ever, but it actually looks reasonably okay in person for $179. (And by okay, I mean at least it's not made of plastic.)

Amazon has a few that are not entirely hideous. No idea how cheap/nice that Coaster brand looks in person.

ETA: Sorry, those prices are just the tables, not for a set with chairs. I am entirely unhelpful.

The set you got is actually the one I was considering from Ikea, the seat color just doesn't match the rest of my stuff. I've been checking Craigslist pretty regularly, I'll probably end up getting something used in the end.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:36 pm

Kikero wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

The set you got is actually the one I was considering from Ikea, the seat color just doesn't match the rest of my stuff. I've been checking Craigslist pretty regularly, I'll probably end up getting something used in the end.
You might be able to brush a thin stain on the seats, if you wanted to make it darker. (I wouldn't do a paint or a shellac, as it would probably crack and peel off as the seat flexed.) The material is unfinished flax straw, which I bet would absorb stain.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:27 pm

Is it normal for places to require renter's insurance in Chicago or something? I've lived in 10+ different places in California and it was never a requirement.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:23 pm

splitsplat wrote:Is it normal for places to require renter's insurance in Chicago or something? I've lived in 10+ different places in California and it was never a requirement.
Oregon requires it.

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:42 pm

FYI, they updated the orientation page, including the orientation week schedule

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:45 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:FYI, they updated the orientation page, including the orientation week schedule

Thanks!

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:07 pm

splitsplat wrote:Is it normal for places to require renter's insurance in Chicago or something? I've lived in 10+ different places in California and it was never a requirement.

Required or not, it's always a good idea. $10,000 in stuff coverage and $50,000 in liability for $120/year? Yes please.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:12 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:

Required or not, it's always a good idea. $10,000 in stuff coverage and $50,000 in liability for $120/year? Yes please.

I can bet that if you went back and read your lease it would have had an insurance requirement. Most landlords don't ask for proof of insurance, but I've heard of a few in Chicago that do. I agree with the above, it's good to have and relatively cheap.

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:46 am

posted in the wrong spot initially

If you opt out of the student health plan because you already have coverage, will those funds allocated for that be disbursed to you as opposed to being spent by the school on the coverage (assuming that the funds aren't automatically disbursed to you, and that you don't purchase the coverage on your own)?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:47 am

kerflux wrote:posted in the wrong spot initially

If you opt out of the student health plan because you already have coverage, will those funds allocated for that be disbursed to you as opposed to being spent by the school on the coverage (assuming that the funds aren't automatically disbursed to you, and that you don't purchase the coverage on your own)?

Nope, you don't get that money disbursed to you at all. You can, however, do that for the laptop money for a little cushion if you don't need a new one.

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:10 pm

Ah, that sucks. Just seems like it'll be hard to live solely on what they've allocated for us in the cost breakdown

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:22 pm

kerflux wrote:Ah, that sucks. Just seems like it'll be hard to live solely on what they've allocated for us in the cost breakdown

that's why the best option is usually live with a roommate or don't live in streeterville. I lived in Lakeview in a studio for $895/month. I ended the year with over $2,000 left in the bank.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:08 pm

You can take out the amount of your health insurance costs. I did this last year, and it was fine.

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:57 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:

You can take out the amount of your health insurance costs. I did this last year, and it was fine.

How does that work?

meaning, did you have to compute the exact cost of your healthcare and submit it?

I just assumed they would take the tuition out and then disburse whatever the rest of the loan package was to the student - so since the loans added up to like 79,xxx, I assume you would be disbursed whatever difference was between that and tuition/fees. That's how it worked in undergrad, at least. Is that wrong?

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:16 pm

kerflux wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

How does that work?

meaning, did you have to compute the exact cost of your healthcare and submit it?

I just assumed they would take the tuition out and then disburse whatever the rest of the loan package was to the student - so since the loans added up to like 79,xxx, I assume you would be disbursed whatever difference was between that and tuition/fees. That's how it worked in undergrad, at least. Is that wrong?

The payment for your healthcare if you are using the student plan doesn't come until October anyway so they always just take the amount of loans you accept, deduct tuition and then disburse the rest to you. I am pretty sure you can choose to accept any amount up to and including the amount they allocate for health insurance.

EDIT: Flips apparently thinks this is not the case (see above) but I was under the impression that you can accept or decline all financial aid up to COL no matter if you are under the health insurance plan or not.

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:31 pm

D-hops wrote:
kerflux wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

How does that work?

The payment for your healthcare if you are using the student plan doesn't come until October anyway so they always just take the amount of loans you accept, deduct tuition and then disburse the rest to you. I am pretty sure you can choose to accept any amount up to and including the amount they allocate for health insurance.

EDIT: Flips apparently thinks this is not the case (see above) but I was under the impression that you can accept or decline all financial aid up to COL no matter if you are under the health insurance plan or not.

That's what I had thought, which was how finaid worked in undergrad. Otherwise they would have to have a separate disbursement for the health plan come October. Kinda figured it was like how they allocate xyz for personal expenses, travel, etc. but really they're just general allocations and you use the cash where you need it.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:44 pm

kerflux wrote:
D-hops wrote:The payment for your healthcare if you are using the student plan doesn't come until October anyway so they always just take the amount of loans you accept, deduct tuition and then disburse the rest to you. I am pretty sure you can choose to accept any amount up to and including the amount they allocate for health insurance.

That's what I had thought, which was how finaid worked in undergrad. Otherwise they would have to have a separate disbursement for the health plan come October. Kinda figured it was like how they allocate xyz for personal expenses, travel, etc. but really they're just general allocations and you use the cash where you need it.

Yeah, if you are on the student plan you actually have to pay the 2K (or whatever it is) back to the school in October when the health plan bill comes through.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:34 pm

D-hops wrote:

I was on my parents insurance and waived on Caesar so I never had the option to disburse the amount bookmarked for insurance. I guess theoretically you could not waive while having insurance and take the money for living. I'm probably wrong as Eugenie seems to have done that.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:05 pm

You can take out less loans, if you want. When you go through the finaid acceptance process, you can put down a different amount than the default max. And yes, I did calculate how much it would be and took the difference out of the budget they give.

readeatsleep

Postby readeatsleep » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:14 pm

hey everyone-

to those looking for apartments, i recently learned that the chicago apartment market is 'oversaturated' for the first time in years, meaning that there are more people looking for apartments than there are apartments. i would second the advice to look in lakeview and lincoln park. i live in chicago and will be a 1L at NU next year, and i will be living in lakeview off the belmont stop with a <25 minute commute via the express bus (i think its the 145) and $600 rent a month. i explored google maps using the 'directions' function, making the law school the destination and moved the origin marker around to see what the quickest way to get to the law school from various locations is. you might find, like i did, that as long as you are near lake shore drive there will be an express bus for you. apartments in lakeview are larger and cheaper than those in streeterville, and lakeview is generally considered a really great place to live.

that said, it would be really great to have a nice walk to school... a luxury worth paying for if you so choose. just don't forget how cold that walk is going to be most of the year!

Fabulist

Postby Fabulist » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:18 pm

Welp, got in off the waitlist last Tuesday and put my deposit down today. Anyone out there still looking for roommates? I'd prefer commuting out of Lakeview area / have a budget around 800/mo.

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:05 pm

Random NU 2L here--I've been behind in finding an apartment for next year. Any incoming 1L's have any tips on good buildings in the Streeterville/River North area that are not McClurg, Onterie or Lakeshore?

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”