Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Blumpbeef

Gold

Re: Northwestern c/o 2015 - leading the T14 in bacon consumption

Post by Blumpbeef » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:11 pm

I was being picky before, now I'm darting to get a bit scared and there aren't as many options as there used to be.

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:11 pm

Temperatures can vary wildly within the span of one week, but temperatures can often stay below freezing for several consecutive days or even weeks in January and February. The temperature in January averages about 29 °F (−2 °C) in the afternoon, and 14 °F (−10 °C) at night. Temperatures can be expected to drop below 0 °F (−18 °C) on about 15 nonconsecutive days throughout the winter season. On many occasions temperatures can go above 50 °F (10 °C) for a daytime high, and, although not frequent, temperatures in winter can surpass 60 °F (16 °C).
(From California)
(60 °F is cold)

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:12 pm

blump, go find a 2bed/2bath in streeterville for under $2600 and we can be roomies!

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:14 pm

I checked Chicago weather last night at 2am pacific and it was, IIRC, 88F.

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:22 pm

hot I can deal with..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dolfan0516

Bronze

Post by dolfan0516 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:25 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:I was being picky before, now I'm darting to get a bit scared and there aren't as many options as there used to be.
You need to be ready to sign a lease as soon as you find a place you like. It is a war for rental places right now.
Last edited by dolfan0516 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:50 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:You need to be ready to sign a lease as soon as you find a place you like. It is a war for rental places right now.
So much this. You need to figure out what you're aiming for and what you're willing to settle for. Spend about a week looking for what you want and be ready to sign a lease the day you find what you want. After about a week or two (sooner rather than later, at this point), start looking for what you're willing to settle for. Be prepared to sign a lease the day you find something.

The place I found, I scheduled a viewing the day it was listed on craigslist and signed the application papers immediately afterwards. I was the second of four viewings that day. I was able to do that because I had spent several days trawling through listings and viewing a couple places, homing in on what exactly what was important to me, what I could afford, and what was realistically available. You are up against thousands of people like me. You have to get serious and be willing to make compromises if you don't want to get stuck somewhere miserable or above your budget.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:54 pm

splitsplat wrote:
Temperatures can vary wildly within the span of one week, but temperatures can often stay below freezing for several consecutive days or even weeks in January and February. The temperature in January averages about 29 °F (−2 °C) in the afternoon, and 14 °F (−10 °C) at night. Temperatures can be expected to drop below 0 °F (−18 °C) on about 15 nonconsecutive days throughout the winter season. On many occasions temperatures can go above 50 °F (10 °C) for a daytime high, and, although not frequent, temperatures in winter can surpass 60 °F (16 °C).
(From California)
(60 °F is cold)
lol, don't forget the wind! Welcome to the worst weather in the country. And when it's not freezing cold, it's unbearably humid. My wife, who hates hot weather, recently traveled to Arizona, where the temperature reached 110F at times. She preferred it to 85F here, simply because there was no humidity.

The silver lining is that you will build DAT MIDWESTERN CHARACTER. By the time you graduate, you'll be repressing your feelings with the best of us. :wink:

kerflux

Bronze

Post by kerflux » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:40 pm

I don't know, I guess I had this notion that it was very important to be able to walk to school, but I guess it's more important to be able to live within the budget.

I wouldnt mind the broom closet, if you know of any available?

I have seen a few things in the Gold Coast region that are a little over a mile out for like 11 or 12; I figured that was about as much as I could afford with the loan package. I'll expand my search range, though - is it easy enough to catch a bus in Chicago?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:45 pm

If you really don't mind a broom closet and don't mind a non-renovated unit, the smaller studios (approx 300 sq. ft) are just under $1000 and super close to campus.
--LinkRemoved--

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:47 pm

kerflux wrote:I don't know, I guess I had this notion that it was very important to be able to walk to school, but I guess it's more important to be able to live within the budget.

I wouldnt mind the broom closet, if you know of any available?

I have seen a few things in the Gold Coast region that are a little over a mile out for like 11 or 12; I figured that was about as much as I could afford with the loan package. I'll expand my search range, though - is it easy enough to catch a bus in Chicago?
I haven't experienced it personally, but from everyone I've talked to, the express buses are pretty reliable. If you pick somewhere near the red line, you can always have that as a reliable backup that is only a few minutes longer.

kerflux

Bronze

Post by kerflux » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:24 pm

splitsplat wrote:If you really don't mind a broom closet and don't mind a non-renovated unit, the smaller studios (approx 300 sq. ft) are just under $1000 and super close to campus.
--LinkRemoved--
The pricing on the site puts the cheapest at like $1203, are they having a special or something?Actually went through and checked the app out, thanks for the tip

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:26 pm

Click on the "Available" button on the right side. Once you put in your move-in date, it will update with actual unit prices.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kerflux

Bronze

Post by kerflux » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:37 pm

Any idea what the deal is with the $450 admin/app fee?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:45 pm

kerflux wrote:Any idea what the deal is with the $450 admin/app fee?
A lot of high-rises have fees like that, alternatively called move-in fees or condo fees. Make sure you ask about all the fees before you sign anything.

NorthwesternorBust

Silver

Post by NorthwesternorBust » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:50 pm

Is anyone else in the building Aqua? I figured there'd at least be a couple!

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:26 am

I know I moved fairly early but I had no problem finding a place. Literally walked around the neighborhood we were looking in (Lincoln Park. I second how easy it is to get to the law school from here), saw a for rent sign in the window, went in and then signed a lease the next day. There are literally about ten to fifteen apartments on my street alone with current for rent signs. Many of these buildings do not advertise online, mine included.

I get the allure of living in a high rise close to campus but for me I'd rather spend the twenty minutes getting to class and paying a decent rent for a pretty giant space.

Good luck to everyone though!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:41 am

elibrarian wrote:I know I moved fairly early but I had no problem finding a place. Literally walked around the neighborhood we were looking in (Lincoln Park. I second how easy it is to get to the law school from here), saw a for rent sign in the window, went in and then signed a lease the next day. There are literally about ten to fifteen apartments on my street alone with current for rent signs. Many of these buildings do not advertise online, mine included.

I get the allure of living in a high rise close to campus but for me I'd rather spend the twenty minutes getting to class and paying a decent rent for a pretty giant space.

Good luck to everyone though!
Many of us didn't/don't have the luxury of walking around the area. And by the time you can get a damn realtor to even return a phone call, most of the listings have been snapped up.

I was feeling a little iffy about settling for a place smaller than I'd wanted, but seeing the difficulty some people are having at this point, I'm feeling pretty lucky to have gotten it (mini dishwasher or no).

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:44 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Dear god, what is with the eight-page Wimbledon play-by-play by the dean's wife on his blog?

In other news: bought 3 carts of Ikea furniture last night, filled two vehicles, and still have to go back for my (purple!!) loveseat and ottoman. I hope it all fits in my little bitty Chicago apartment!

I can't identify it all by box, but that is a loft bed, desk, bookshelf, entertainment center, dining set, armchair, dresser, mattress and bed linens.
I had a panic attack just thinking of how long it would take me to put all this together.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:48 am

D-hops wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:In other news: bought 3 carts of Ikea furniture last night, filled two vehicles, and still have to go back for my (purple!!) loveseat and ottoman. I hope it all fits in my little bitty Chicago apartment!

[img]Gigantic%20pile%20o'%20Ikea.jpg[/img]I can't identify it all by box, but that is a loft bed, desk, bookshelf, entertainment center, dining set, armchair, dresser, mattress and bed linens.
I had a panic attack just thinking of how long it would take me to put all this together.
lol. I have definitely had those thoughts too! :lol:
I will prioritize (bed first, desk next, the TV can sit on the floor for a while and the dresser and dining table can wait), and do it gradually. And a friend is coming to visit in mid-August to help me finish whatever I haven't gotten to yet (and to play tourist).

Hooray for power tools. And I generally find assembling furniture kind of zen, as long as the parts are all there.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:49 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
D-hops wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:In other news: bought 3 carts of Ikea furniture last night, filled two vehicles, and still have to go back for my (purple!!) loveseat and ottoman. I hope it all fits in my little bitty Chicago apartment!

[img]Gigantic%20pile%20o'%20Ikea.jpg[/img]I can't identify it all by box, but that is a loft bed, desk, bookshelf, entertainment center, dining set, armchair, dresser, mattress and bed linens.
I will prioritize (bed first, desk next, the TV can sit on the floor for a while and the dresser and dining table can wait), and do it gradually. And a friend is coming to visit in mid-August to help me finish whatever I haven't gotten to yet (and to play tourist).

Hooray for power tools.
Is there an allen wrench attachment to a power tool?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:51 am

D-hops wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
D-hops wrote:

Hooray for power tools.
Is there an allen wrench attachment to a power tool?
Sure. A decent set of bits for a standard drill should have allen and screwdriver tips. You just have to turn the drill's choke way down (if possible) to avoid stripping the holes.

I also have a power screwdriver, which isn't as powerful but is really easy to hold in one hand (and is less likely to strip the hell out of the particle board).

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:53 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
D-hops wrote: Is there an allen wrench attachment to a power tool?
Sure. A decent set of bits for a standard drill should have allen and screwdriver tips. You just have to turn the drill's choke way down (if possible) to avoid stripping the holes.
This could have saved me so much time! It doesn't matter anymore though, I have sworn off Ikea furniture for the forseeable future.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:56 am

D-hops wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
D-hops wrote: Is there an allen wrench attachment to a power tool?
This could have saved me so much time! It doesn't matter anymore though, I have sworn off Ikea furniture for the forseeable future.
Man, I won't assemble anything bigger than a coffee table without power tools! It's not THAT zen! :lol:

dolfan0516

Bronze

Post by dolfan0516 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:22 pm

Furniture advice for people who dont want to go to Ikea and build their own furniture- I just went to American Signature Furniture (called Value City in Chicago and other regions) in my hometown, shopped for cheap furniture, and have a scheduled delivery for my apartment in Chicago for August. The furniture is nice and cheap, and for $120, they will deliver and set it all up for you. All the stores are corporately owned so you can shop at one near you, and have a delivery set in Chicago for no extra fee.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”