Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Samara

Re: Northwestern c/o 2015 - leading the T14 in bacon consumption

Postby Samara » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:40 pm

elibrarian wrote:
Corsair wrote:
foxylaxy wrote:I still intend to go to all possible Thursday outings whatever happens (can't make this one though)

Wait, there are outings? Are alums invited?

We set them up on the 2015 class facebook group. all NUers are invited!

I guess this means I have to keep my Facebook account. :|

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:56 pm

Samara wrote:
elibrarian wrote:
Corsair wrote:
foxylaxy wrote:I still intend to go to all possible Thursday outings whatever happens (can't make this one though)

Wait, there are outings? Are alums invited?

Apparently it's used for scheduling of a lot of events.

But I don't remember seeing concrete plans for anything in Chicago, just meetups in various cities. What is this Thursday deal?

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:07 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:
elibrarian wrote:
Corsair wrote:Wait, there are outings? Are alums invited?

Apparently it's used for scheduling of a lot of events.

But I don't remember seeing concrete plans for anything in Chicago, just meetups in various cities. What is this Thursday deal?

oh man, where have you been rinkrat? there's a massive thread about meetups in Chicago!

(there's also a massive thread about meetups in the Bay Area, but it's mostly the same 4 of us posting about trying to find time to meet up)

Rampage1

Postby Rampage1 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:05 pm

Well, just resigned at my job. No turning back now. See you all in August!

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:07 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
oh man, where have you been rinkrat? there's a massive thread about meetups in Chicago!

(there's also a massive thread about meetups in the Bay Area, but it's mostly the same 4 of us posting about trying to find time to meet up)

I'll be all over those meetups in about a week (the Chicago ones, that is).

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:55 am

Ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu I´m in Europe until July 18th how the FUCK am I going to get all this shit done in time?????

Rampage1 wrote:Well, just resigned at my job. No turning back now. See you all in August!

CONGRATS on your decision!!! see you in chi this fall :mrgreen:

lillawyer

Postby lillawyer » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:04 am

FOR RENT:

I'm looking for a renter to take over the last month of my lease on a beautiful vintage studio apartment in Chicago's Gold Coast neighborhood. You would then have the opportunity to renew the lease with the building management - so essentially it would be a 13 month lease from August 1, 2012 to August 31, 2013.

This is ideal if you're starting school in August. Northwestern and Loyola Law are a 20 minute walk away and other Chicago-area schools are easily accessible by transit.

I just graduated from Northwestern Law. I moved to this building after spending two years at Streeter Place, and I wish I had lived here all along - it's much nicer, not to mention $400 cheaper. Most of the tenants here are young students and the receptionists are all very friendly, so it's a great vibe to be around.

THE APARTMENT:

Address: 1100 North Dearborn St.
10th floor apartment, south-facing.

Spacious studio layout with large living area, separate kitchen/dining room and separate walk-in closet leading to the bathroom, and additional small closet.

Rent: $1195
Utilities: Electricity is not included in rent. Other utilities (gas, water) are already included. Internet is not provided by the building.

Floors: Hardwood
Kitchen: Stove, oven, dishwasher, fridge, microwave, good counter space for cooking, lots of cupboards and drawers
Bathroom: Shower (good shower head with high pressure) and bathtub
Building security: 24 hour reception
Heat/AC: Window unit A/C, and central heating.
Storage: Secure space in building
Laundry: Facilities in building (pay per use)
Gym: Small gym in building
Building: Well renovated vintage building. Beautiful lobby area.
Pets: Cats are OK, dogs are not allowed.
Parking: There is no parking provided by the building.
Rooftop: 20th Floor rooftop patio with tables, lounge chairs, and beautiful views of city

Schools: 20 minute walk from Northwestern's downtown campus (Law School, Kellogg Business School, and Feinberg School of Medicine) and Loyola Law School.
Transportation: 2 minute walk from the subway (Clark/Division station on the Red Line).
Grocery Shopping: 2 minutes walk from Jewel/Osco and Treasure Island. 10 minutes walk from Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.

Photos: --LinkRemoved--

If you would like to see additional photos or are interested in renting, please contact me. The building management will require your information, credit check, etc., so it's best to begin the process sooner rather than later.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Dear soon to be 1Ls,

Whenever you guys get your schedule in a couple months, hit me up for buying books. I'll sell them to you for cheap since they are not helping me sitting on my bookshelf. Just for reference I had:

Shapo
Nzelibe
Pfander
Glazer (she is a visiting prof but should be back in Spring so some of you will probably have her for Property 2nd semester)
Koppelman
Kleinfeld

I can also give you my outlines for the classes and any study materials I used.

NorthwesternorBust

Postby NorthwesternorBust » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:22 pm

Flips88 wrote:Dear soon to be 1Ls,

Whenever you guys get your schedule in a couple months, hit me up for buying books. I'll sell them to you for cheap since they are not helping me sitting on my bookshelf. Just for reference I had:

Shapo
Nzelibe
Pfander
Glazer (she is a visiting prof but should be back in Spring so some of you will probably have her for Property 2nd semester)
Koppelman
Kleinfeld

Discount for people rooting for Thunder, please. :lol:

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:28 pm

Shapo
Nzelibe
Pfander
Koppelman
Kleinfeld

You are awesome! Thanks! If any other rising 2Ls want to sell books, let us know. I'd rather buy my books from a friendly TLSer than Amazon or the bookstore.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:46 pm

Samara wrote:

Shapo
Nzelibe
Pfander
Koppelman
Kleinfeld

You are awesome! Thanks! If any other rising 2Ls want to sell books, let us know. I'd rather buy my books from a friendly TLSer than Amazon or the bookstore.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:47 pm

Have any of the late May WL admits gotten their admit packet yet, or am I the only one still waiting? :|

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:59 pm

Hey soon to be 1Ls,

Like Flips I am willing to sell my books and hand over outlines as well, though several of my profs won't be teaching this upcoming year I think the books I have are used in other sections...

Property: Cameron
Contracts: Bennett (not sure he's teaching this next year)
Civ Pro: Hoskins (he's definitely not teaching, but I believe Reddish and Pfander use the same book)
Torts: DiCola
Crim: Roberts (she has gone to Penn, not sure if anyone else uses this book)
Con Law: Calabresi

I also have supplements that I am willing to let go for a good price, specifically Civ Pro E&E, Property E&E, Torts E&E, and Understanding Criminal Law by Dressler.

Look forward to meeting you all.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:03 pm

splitsplat wrote:Have any of the late May WL admits gotten their admit packet yet, or am I the only one still waiting? :|

I got it a couple days ago.

NorthwesternorBust

Postby NorthwesternorBust » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:56 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
splitsplat wrote:Have any of the late May WL admits gotten their admit packet yet, or am I the only one still waiting? :|

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:02 pm

Did anyone happen to visit either 211 E Delaware or 25 E Delaware?

The websites make the buildings look really cool (duh), but most of the reviews I can find online aren't great--although there aren't many reviews and they're mostly dating 2006-2010. And of course there's some reluctance to risk a 'vintage' building. I think that management has changed and the buildings have been redone in the past year or two, but it's not quite clear.

NorthwesternorBust

Postby NorthwesternorBust » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:59 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Did anyone happen to visit either 211 E Delaware or 25 E Delaware?

The websites make the buildings look really cool (duh), but most of the reviews I can find online aren't great--although there aren't many reviews and they're mostly dating 2006-2010. And of course there's some reluctance to risk a 'vintage' building. I think that management has changed and the buildings have been redone in the past year or two, but it's not quite clear.

rinkrat, I visited both of those. Wasn't a big fan of their layouts and appliances. Went with Aqua.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:09 am

NorthwesternorBust wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:

I was an early May acceptance and just got mine, so don't worry if you haven't gotten it yet.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:59 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Did anyone happen to visit either 211 E Delaware or 25 E Delaware?

rinkrat, I visited both of those. Wasn't a big fan of their layouts and appliances. Went with Aqua.
Yeah, I'm not impressed with the square footage. I'm prepared to downsize from my current 1-bedroom, but 380 square feet is ridiculous. :P

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Ok, so here's a few tips and tricks as promised. These are all me-specific, and they don't cover most of the stuff you need to know. Read the excellent, more comprehensive stickied guides for that. These are just the top few things I wished I had known- small things that would have made my life easier.

-"concur" vs. "concur in the judgment" Read this article. Main point: those two terms are really, really different, and it matters a lot in several civ pro and conlaw major cases. It was one of those things that all the professors assumed someone else had mentioned, and then I didn't figure it out until March and my conlaw prof was horrified when none of us knew it.

-Chemerinsky- Read the damn thing. Just do. Not all of it, and not cover to cover, but read the section for the cases you're assigned that day. Con law is tricky because you're trying to read and process the opinion, figure out what it has to do with the historical progression of things, and also figure out where it fits in your professor's unique take on conlaw. Chemerinsky spells out the first two for you, leaving your full in-class attention free to pay attention to your professor's quirks. Obviously, sometimes Chemerinksy will disagree with your prof, and then the prof is always right, but having more information will help you flesh out your general understanding of a very complicated subject.

-Not reading and paying attention in class- So it's not always possible to do every reading fully before every class. You should, but sometimes it doesn't happen. The wrong approach is : "Crap, I didn't finish the reading; it's ok, I'll pick it up in class." This is seductive because when you do read, a lot of class feels like it's just repeating the reading. However, if you haven't done the reading, everything will be new and hard to follow. If you go in thinking it will be easy to pick up on what's happening, you'll probably miss a lot. Try to at least read a wikipedia or other fact-heavy summary when you can't finish the reading. If you have no idea at all what's going on, your attention will probably wander.

-"equitable"- Most of you probably know this, but I didn't. "equitable" in the legal word does not always mean fair, but sometimes it does. Most of the time it refers to the historical split in courts between law and equity, with "equitable relief" meaning injunctions or non-money solutions from the court. It generally does NOT mean "fair relief." You don't need to know about the difference between law and equity until you go over it in class, but at least when you read "Smith sought equitable relief," you won't think "Well, no shit, he wanted it to be fair."

-Outlining- every one has their own thing. Do what you want. That said, if you make something that has cases/rules/etc. in it, make sure to put in the holding- which way the case came out. In my first couple outlines, I accidentally just put in a few facts and the rules but didn't put who won. You should definitely do that.

Once you all know your profs, I'll post some info about the ones I've had, but I won't do it know since I don't want to waste time putting up info about folks you don't have. Oh, and one more- CLR sucks but it's ultimately useful. It's usefulness is directly related to how much you put into it- it has little to do with your professor.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:37 pm

Holly's Advice
Except for fun social stuff, don't even begin to think about law school until orientation. And once 1L starts, realize that you don't need to create extra work for yourself and there is still plenty of time to go out and have fun.

hth

NorthwesternorBust

Postby NorthwesternorBust » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:39 pm

So your class schedule is entirely mapped out for you, huh?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:40 pm

NorthwesternorBust wrote:So your class schedule is entirely mapped out for you, huh?

Only for first semester. Second semester you'll have 3 more classes with your section, but you also get to choose 2 electives.

NorthwesternorBust

Postby NorthwesternorBust » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:44 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
NorthwesternorBust wrote:So your class schedule is entirely mapped out for you, huh?

Only for first semester. Second semester you'll have 3 more classes with your section, but you also get to choose 2 electives.

What is it usually like first semester, if you don't mind me asking?

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:49 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:

What is it usually like first semester, if you don't mind me asking?

would also be interested in this (I'm assuming you mean it in the sense of "what does a typical schedule look like.")

Another somewhat related question-- I have to buy tickets to fly overseas and see family over Christmas and it occurred to me I need to see the exam schedule first. Anyone know when we'll get that? (even a general schedule- I'll probably just go at the end of the whole exam period).

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”