Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Kikero

Re: Northwestern c/o 2015 - leading the T14 in bacon consumption

Postby Kikero » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:51 am

JamMasterJ wrote:so there is a segment of the class that gets neither biglaw nor LRAP and is in serious trouble?

Well you still have IBR or whatever it's called so that you won't have to pay more than a certain percentage of your income, but that wouldn't be a pleasant situation long term.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:58 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:so there is a segment of the class that gets neither biglaw nor LRAP and is in serious trouble?

Of course, but this exists at every T14. Maybe less so as you go towards the top, but heck I even know of a Harvard 2L that is unemployed this summer.

And yes you always have IBR (though IBR isn't that helpful if you're legitimately funemployed).

thisisme

Postby thisisme » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:54 pm

-
Last edited by thisisme on Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:06 pm

thisisme wrote:Anybody else see this?

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... unting-101

"Northwestern University's law school, one of the top programs in the country, is considering shrinking its class size because of the continuing job crisis in the legal industry.
Although there is no timetable for a decision, law school Dean Daniel Rodriguez says he is “taking a very close look at (whether) we are the right size for the education program we have.” "

$5 says "Ken E." in the comments section on that is MTAL

terriers

Postby terriers » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:37 pm

thisisme wrote:Anybody else see this?

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... unting-101

"Northwestern University's law school, one of the top programs in the country, is considering shrinking its class size because of the continuing job crisis in the legal industry.
Although there is no timetable for a decision, law school Dean Daniel Rodriguez says he is “taking a very close look at (whether) we are the right size for the education program we have.” "

Wonder if this is about pushing up their ranking. Admit fewer students, get an entering class with better stats, go up in USNWR. The Dean made a couple comments at ASW about wanting to push up their ranking.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:39 pm

The dean posted on his blog about Hastings doing the same.

http://deansblog.law.northwestern.edu/2 ... lass-size/

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:05 pm

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:08 pm

Corsair wrote:

<-

yeah, I was thinking about you. But you seem to at least be doing OK

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:02 am

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:20 am

For those of you who went on the housing tour: would you mind sharing any pictures? I'm particularly interested of any accounts you can give RE: McClurg's gym versus 420 E Ohio's. Also, did any of you visit/photograph locations like the Seneca, any of the Dearborn apt complexes, etc etc?

Thanks!! Trying to figure out my housing situation before I leave for Europe x_____x

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:29 am

Hey everyone! I just got over a terrible case of runner's knee and so I think I'm going to try and train for the Chicago Half Marathon: http://www.chicagohalfmarathon.com/

I think there were a couple of you guys who were interested in the half (and some who were interested in the 5K, laaaaame). Let me know if you plan to sign up also! Maybe we can make funny t-shirts with law school/NU jokes on them or something.

So excited for life in Chicago!

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:48 am

cactuarX3 wrote:Hey everyone! I just got over a terrible case of runner's knee and so I think I'm going to try and train for the Chicago Half Marathon: http://www.chicagohalfmarathon.com/

I think there were a couple of you guys who were interested in the half (and some who were interested in the 5K, laaaaame). Let me know if you plan to sign up also! Maybe we can make funny t-shirts with law school/NU jokes on them or something.

So excited for life in Chicago!

1) You're AWESOME, thank you!

2) Congrats on getting over your runner's knee!

3) I might be one of the wimps thinking about doing the 5K :oops: I literally HAVE NOT been training though, it's pathetic. Gotta get my ass into gear!! If I do join in, I would be totally down to do shirts! (assuming I'm cool enough to be in on that, since I'm a lowly 5K-er ;) )

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:10 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:For those of you who went on the housing tour: would you mind sharing any pictures? I'm particularly interested of any accounts you can give RE: McClurg's gym versus 420 E Ohio's. Also, did any of you visit/photograph locations like the Seneca, any of the Dearborn apt complexes, etc etc?

Thanks!! Trying to figure out my housing situation before I leave for Europe x_____x

I didn't take any pictures, but you can look at some on the buildings' websites:

McClurg:

http://www.rmk.com/mcclurg/

420 E Ohio:

http://www.zrsapartments.com/420eastohi ... tments.asp

I do remember that the gym at McClurg was quite a bit bigger and had more stuff, but they have more people living there so it might balance out somewhat.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:22 am

Kikero wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:For those of you who went on the housing tour: would you mind sharing any pictures? I'm particularly interested of any accounts you can give RE: McClurg's gym versus 420 E Ohio's. Also, did any of you visit/photograph locations like the Seneca, any of the Dearborn apt complexes, etc etc?

I didn't take any pictures, but you can look at some on the buildings' websites:

McClurg:

http://www.rmk.com/mcclurg/

420 E Ohio:

http://www.zrsapartments.com/420eastohi ... tments.asp

I do remember that the gym at McClurg was quite a bit bigger and had more stuff, but they have more people living there so it might balance out somewhat.

holy shit, that e ohio joint is way overpriced

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:25 pm

I'm having trouble getting apartment listers to contact me back. I'll be in town on June 21st and 22nd. Does anyone know anything that would help me out?

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:27 pm

Housing prices making me sad. :(

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:30 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:I'm having trouble getting apartment listers to contact me back. I'll be in town on June 21st and 22nd. Does anyone know anything that would help me out?

I gotta get the email from my roommate but I'll send you the email of a guy from a group that is on top of their shit. I had problems with everyone I used last year until this group and they worked fast, communicated great, and found us exactly what we wanted at a good price.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:32 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:I'm having trouble getting apartment listers to contact me back. I'll be in town on June 21st and 22nd. Does anyone know anything that would help me out?

How have you been contacting them? Via craigslist? Padmapper?

You could try Chicago Apartment Hunters, though apparently they will up your rent by a little as a 'commission'.

I've also been communicating with Student Space (the people who did the housing tour). They've been INCREDIBLY helpful.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:33 pm

splitmuch wrote:

I gotta get the email from my roommate but I'll send you the email of a guy from a group that is on top of their shit. I had problems with everyone I used last year until this group and they worked fast, communicated great, and found us exactly what we wanted at a good price.
Oh hai, plz to share?

I tried to be all proactive and got shot down because it was still May, but "we'll contact you when we start finding out about vacancies in June." Have not heard a damn thing, except one guy who said they had a $1500 1-bedroom vacancy for May 15, when I asked about $1200 studios for Aug 1. Not sure he could have found anything less like my request.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:34 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

How have you been contacting them? Via craigslist? Padmapper?

You could try Chicago Apartment Hunters, though apparently they will up your rent by a little as a 'commission'.

I've also been communicating with Student Space (the people who did the housing tour). They've been INCREDIBLY helpful.
Will Student Space help you out with buildings not on their recommended list? They make their money from the apartments, not the renters, right?
I'm also looking for a rental condo, which are just single units, of course.

chill

Postby chill » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:56 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:02 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:I've also been communicating with Student Space (the people who did the housing tour). They've been INCREDIBLY helpful.
Will Student Space help you out with buildings not on their recommended list? They make their money from the apartments, not the renters, right?

I have no idea if they would or not, but he's recommended me like 5 complexes outside of the 3 on the housing tour, with little blurbs about what he likes/doesn't like about each of them, plus links to their website. He also called me yesterday to ask what sort of an apartment/price range/set of amenities I'm looking for. All of his emails have been super prompt. As someone who hasn't seen ANY apartment complexes and won't be able to visit Chicago again until late July, having someone lay it out like that for me has been SUPER helpful.

He's also offered to get more specific prices for me (the websites are generalized) so that I have a better idea of the space:price ratio on most of the studios in each complex.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:03 pm

chill wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

Can you pm this to me, as well? We'll be finding an apartment in August, so I think going through a group might be our best option.

Would be interested in this too!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:03 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
chill wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

Can you pm this to me, as well? We'll be finding an apartment in August, so I think going through a group might be our best option.

Would be interested in this too!

live on our couch?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:04 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:I've also been communicating with Student Space (the people who did the housing tour). They've been INCREDIBLY helpful.

I have no idea if they would or not, but he's recommended me like 5 complexes outside of the 3 on the housing tour, with little blurbs about what he likes/doesn't like about each of them, plus links to their website. He also called me yesterday to ask what sort of an apartment/price range/set of amenities I'm looking for. All of his emails have been super prompt. As someone who hasn't seen ANY apartment complexes and won't be able to visit Chicago again until late July, having someone lay it out like that for me has been SUPER helpful.

He's also offered to get more specific prices for me (the websites are generalized) so that I have a better idea of the space:price ratio on most of the studios in each complex.

can you send any of this stuff my way?

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”