Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
JustE

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015

Postby JustE » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:18 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
thisisme wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Nebraska Wesleyan University? No.

Also, it makes me think of NWO. Definitely no.

Google tells me that Nebraska Wesleyan University is a real place....not really sure how I feel about that.
Hopefully you feel that you'd rather not have your preftigious law school associated with it in any way.

I mean... Who the hell's heard of Nebraska?

ryemanhattan

Postby ryemanhattan » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:30 pm

John Wesley was a total name slut. I went to Wesleyan, and I f@#ing hates it when people ask me "which one?" or some such thing. It's way worse than when they get confused because they "thought it was an all girls school outside Boston", which is standard.

Anyway... Hi everyone!!! I'm waiting on rejections from M,V,B to make it certain, but I will most likely be joining you all next year in Chicago. And regardless of what the rest of my cycle brings, I'll be at ASW, and we will kick it... stoked. Wearing purple socks right now, feeling good.

JustE

Postby JustE » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:37 pm

ryemanhattan wrote:John Wesley was a total name slut. I went to Wesleyan, and I f@#ing hates it when people ask me "which one?" or some such thing. It's way worse than when they get confused because they "thought it was an all girls school outside Boston", which is standard.

Anyway... Hi everyone!!! I'm waiting on rejections from M,V,B to make it certain, but I will most likely be joining you all next year in Chicago. And regardless of what the rest of my cycle brings, I'll be at ASW, and we will kick it... stoked. Wearing purple socks right now, feeling good.

:lol: Sooo... You go to the one down the street? I'm pretty sure there's one here in Atlanta. :lol:

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:29 pm

ryemanhattan wrote:John Wesley was a total name slut. I went to Wesleyan, and I f@#ing hates it when people ask me "which one?" or some such thing. It's way worse than when they get confused because they "thought it was an all girls school outside Boston", which is standard.

SUP rye!! Nice to see you 'round these parts (I'm ~whimsical on LSN)! I'm waiting on rejections from MPB too XD Dude, I'm so excited for ASW!!!

tdicks

Postby tdicks » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:34 am

Just heard of a bar named sluggers. Batting cages in the bar. I'll meet you all at sluggers when I get off the plane Chicago? It's a date? Good.

Kindsa drunk and getting drunk for chi-town. And by drunk, I mean excited.

Tldr: sluggers every weekend.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:02 pm

Hey you guys, I can finally post in here!!! I'm so excited!!!

I see that Michigan 2015 has 20 pages to our 6. We have some work to do. Let's get on it!

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:40 pm

Samara wrote:Hey you guys, I can finally post in here!!! I'm so excited!!!

I see that Michigan 2015 has 20 pages to our 6. We have some work to do. Let's get on it!

SDLKFJWELKFWE I MISSED THIS WHILE I WAS AT LUNCH BUT OH MY FUCKING GOD I KNEW IT LSKDFJWEJFWEK YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

CONGRATS <3 <3

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:13 pm

I get the feeling NU will have a very exuberant class of 2015 :)

JustE

Postby JustE » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:21 pm

elibrarian wrote:I get the feeling NU will have a very exuberant class of 2015 :)

Can't argure at that.

lookin' at you, crumps

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:47 pm

JustE wrote:
elibrarian wrote:I get the feeling NU will have a very exuberant class of 2015 :)

Can't argure at that.

lookin' at you, crumps

:mrgreen: <3 <3 I don't think I'm quite this obnoxiously capslocky/exclamationpointy IRL, no worries!! Or...maybe I am but I just don't realize it. That's also very possible. :lol:

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:27 am

Is it ok to check in here before I'm 100% committed? If so, checking in. If not... I'll probably be back. :D

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:23 am

JDizzle2015 wrote:Is it ok to check in here before I'm 100% committed? If so, checking in. If not... I'll probably be back. :D

UMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm of course it is!! Glad to see you here! (:

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:06 pm

Has anyone started looking for housing yet? That housing report they have is pretty cool. Very comprehensive and useful.

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:30 pm

Samara wrote:Has anyone started looking for housing yet? That housing report they have is pretty cool. Very comprehensive and useful.

Yes. I'm actually seeing a ton of places the end of January as its likely I'll be moving mid-February. Im looking in the Gold Coast and Streeterville areas to be close but I kinda don't like the whole high rise thing so i'm checking out Old Town and Lincoln Park as well. A bit of a commute doesn't bother me and I'd prefer a more neighborhood feel.

I am uber excited to move.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:41 pm

elibrarian wrote:
Samara wrote:Has anyone started looking for housing yet? That housing report they have is pretty cool. Very comprehensive and useful.

Yes. I'm actually seeing a ton of places the end of January as its likely I'll be moving mid-February. Im looking in the Gold Coast and Streeterville areas to be close but I kinda don't like the whole high rise thing so i'm checking out Old Town and Lincoln Park as well. A bit of a commute doesn't bother me and I'd prefer a more neighborhood feel.

Oh, you're moving early? Did you get a job in Chicago or something?

I probably won't be doing Gold Coast or Streeterville either. Doesn't seem like it's worth the money. River North got good reviews in that housing study and my wife's job in that area. Lincoln Park is of course a consideration, too. I also would prefer the "neighborhood" feel, but I don't want to go too far north. We also have a dog and that seems easier to do in the more northern areas.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:51 pm

I only have last year's housing report but I can't imagine much has changed. Pretty cool that they (the SBA, I think?) took the time and trouble to put that out.

I'm starting to look, but I won't be moving until Aug 1 or so, so it's all still hypothetical.

I've never lived in a big city (only city suburbs and a college town), so I am hoping to make my life as easy as possible by living in Streeterville. I don't want a commute, at least 1L. I don't mind riding a bus/train to get to a bar or someone's place a couple times a week, but a daily ride slowly kills my soul (and makes me carsick).

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:01 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
I only have last year's housing report but I can't imagine much has changed. Pretty cool that they (the SBA, I think?) took the time and trouble to put that out.

I'm starting to look, but I won't be moving until Aug 1 or so, so it's all still hypothetical.

I've never lived in a big city (only city suburbs and a college town), so I am hoping to make my life as easy as possible by living in Streeterville. I don't want a commute, at least 1L. I don't mind riding a bus/train to get to a bar or someone's place a couple times a week, but a daily ride slowly kills my soul (and makes me carsick).

Yeah, the SBA put it together. I won't be moving until August either, but I'm hoping that with plenty of research I can find just the right place.

You wouldn't even want to do a 10-15 minute commute? You can get pretty far north 15 minutes on the train.

I lived in Indianapolis, in their equivalent of Streeterville and then their equivalent of something like Lincoln Park. It was nice being able to walk to work, but the benefits of being in a house in a real neighborhood more than made up for the 10-minute drive I had to undertake.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:26 pm

Samara wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Yeah, the SBA put it together. I won't be moving until August either, but I'm hoping that with plenty of research I can find just the right place.

You wouldn't even want to do a 10-15 minute commute? You can get pretty far north 15 minutes on the train.

I lived in Indianapolis, in their equivalent of Streeterville and then their equivalent of something like Lincoln Park. It was nice being able to walk to work, but the benefits of being in a house in a real neighborhood more than made up for the 10-minute drive I had to undertake.
The problem is that 10-15 minutes on the train or bus means a 5-minute walk to the station/stop, up to 10-minute wait for the train/bus, 10-15 minutes on the train/bus (which if it's like every public trans I've ever taken will be overheated to 80 degrees despite the fact that everyone has a winter coat on, so I can't read or I'll puke), and a 5-10 minute walk home from the station/stop. That could be as much as an hour door-to-door. I'd rather just walk for 10-15 minutes and get it overwith. Obviously not everyone minds it as much as I do, but the times in my life that I've had to take the bus or train to school or work, I've been REALLY unhappy.

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:26 pm

Samara wrote:
elibrarian wrote:

I probably won't be doing Gold Coast or Streeterville either. Doesn't seem like it's worth the money. River North got good reviews in that housing study and my wife's job in that area. Lincoln Park is of course a consideration, too. I also would prefer the "neighborhood" feel, but I don't want to go too far north. We also have a dog and that seems easier to do in the more northern areas.

My fiance is transfering jobs and an opportunity came up for him to (possibly) transfer earlier and we're actually getting married in Chicago in several months so being there earlier would make everything worlds easier.

Streeterville is tempting only because of the amenitites. Coming from New York where it is basically impossible to have any sort of amenitites unless you are paying a ridiculous amount of rent, it sounds quite nice. Still feel we'll end up in the Lincoln Park area though.

We have a cat and I want a dog so that is a consideration too. I know 1350/60 Lake Shore Drive is on the Gold Coast and is very pet friendly. For whatever reason I'm convinced having a pug will make 1L more enjoyable. Pugs are happy dogs. :)

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:33 pm

Oh god I haven't started thinking about housing at all....fml x___x I'll probably be living in street evilly or as close to the school as I can possibly be, mainly because in the winter I will find it VERY hard to go to class if it's cold and I have to commute half an hour to get there. I was the same way in UG, and it never even got below 35 there, I can hardly imagine what it would be like in 0 degree weather... :shock:

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:50 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

The problem is that 10-15 minutes on the train or bus means a 5-minute walk to the station/stop, up to 10-minute wait for the train/bus, 10-15 minutes on the train/bus (which if it's like every public trans I've ever taken will be overheated to 80 degrees despite the fact that everyone has a winter coat on, so I can't read or I'll puke), and a 5-10 minute walk home from the station/stop. That could be as much as an hour door-to-door. I'd rather just walk for 10-15 minutes and get it overwith. Obviously not everyone minds it as much as I do, but the times in my life that I've had to take the bus or train to school or work, I've been REALLY unhappy.

The train is definitely not overheated, so don't worry about that, haha. I get what you mean, though. The tough part about the law campus is that it's not right on a rail line, so it's like a ten-minute walk or something from the Red Line stop. The trains are pretty reliable, but the buses less so. An hour commute is an overstatement, but anything more than four or five stops on the train is probably 30+ mins. If you don't like riding the train though, it would definitely be worth it to live within walking distance.

For myself, I don't mind riding the train at all, but it's definitely personal preference. I mean, I'm not ruling out Streeterville at this point, but it seems like for me, considering price (married, so roommate isn't an option), pets (cat and a standard poodle, so space and parks are important), and neighborhood character, it's unlikely.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:58 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Oh god I haven't started thinking about housing at all....fml x___x I'll probably be living in street evilly or as close to the school as I can possibly be, mainly because in the winter I will find it VERY hard to go to class if it's cold and I have to commute half an hour to get there. I was the same way in UG, and it never even got below 35 there, I can hardly imagine what it would be like in 0 degree weather... :shock:

I know plenty of people, including myself, who found places in July.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:59 pm

elibrarian wrote:
Samara wrote:
elibrarian wrote:

My fiance is transfering jobs and an opportunity came up for him to (possibly) transfer earlier and we're actually getting married in Chicago in several months so being there earlier would make everything worlds easier.

Streeterville is tempting only because of the amenitites. Coming from New York where it is basically impossible to have any sort of amenitites unless you are paying a ridiculous amount of rent, it sounds quite nice. Still feel we'll end up in the Lincoln Park area though.

We have a cat and I want a dog so that is a consideration too. I know 1350/60 Lake Shore Drive is on the Gold Coast and is very pet friendly. For whatever reason I'm convinced having a pug will make 1L more enjoyable. Pugs are happy dogs. :)

That's cool. I may have said it before, but congrats on the wedding and the transfer!

I don't know much about Gold Coast, but it seems like Streeterville only farther away. West Loop is looking promising, but that seems like a difficult commute to the campus.

Having a dog will definitely make 1L better! I didn't use to be a dog person; me nor any of my friends had one growing up. My wife convinced me to let her get one and now I love it. We have a chocolate-colored standard poodle and he's super friendly and super nice. He's also big, so it helps as a crime deterrent even though I can't imagine him actually doing anything to stop an intruder or attacker.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:24 pm

Has anyone started working on the financial aid questions or did everyone just now get the email?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:28 pm

Samara wrote:Has anyone started working on the financial aid questions or did everyone just now get the email?

Oh god. Fuck. I really need to be working on that. D: I'm such a procrastinator WHYYYY

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”