Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
franklyscarlet

Re: Northwestern c/o 2015 - leading the T14 in bacon consumption

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed May 09, 2012 11:02 pm

tdicks wrote:me again, totally different topic though.

i've decided (more or less on a whim) to do the chicago triathlon (well, the halfie) the weekend before orientation starts. i noticed there were a ton of runners and a few bikers in this thread... anyone else doing this?

Checking in for "can't swim without holding my nose." but that half marathon in september is still in my sights.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu May 10, 2012 12:20 am

i've decided (more or less on a whim) to do the chicago triathlon (well, the halfie) the weekend before orientation starts. i noticed there were a ton of runners and a few bikers in this thread... anyone else doing this?

What are the distances for a half triathlon? Depending on how awful the running portion is, I could be persuaded to do it (I love biking/swimming, hate running). :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Revolver066

Postby Revolver066 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:22 am

Just deposited. Hello Chicago! (Bye bye LA weather :cry: )

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu May 10, 2012 12:41 am

Revolver066 wrote:Just deposited. Hello Chicago! (Bye bye LA weather :cry: )

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!! (I'm from LA too...I feel your pain :cry: )

tdicks

Postby tdicks » Thu May 10, 2012 1:00 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:

What are the distances for a half triathlon? Depending on how awful the running portion is, I could be persuaded to do it (I love biking/swimming, hate running). :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

it's a .75k (1/2ish mi) swim, 22k (13.6 mi) bike, and a 5k (3 mi) run. i'm starting couch to 5k this week (as in i'm currently at the "couch" part)(i also hate running), and don't own a bike, but i should rock the swim :) all you non-swimmers should utilize the summer to learn! once you can swim like 4 laps in a row, you could train for a 1/2 mile in like, 3 or 4 weeks! but yeah, i suppose swimming is the most dangerous part to fail at, so i get it :)

honestly, i just want something to force me into a workout routine before school starts.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu May 10, 2012 1:01 am

tdicks wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

it's a .75k (1/2ish mi) swim, 22k (13.6 mi) bike, and a 5k (3 mi) run. i'm starting couch to 5k this week (as in i'm currently at the "couch" part)(i also hate running), and don't own a bike, but i should rock the swim :) all you non-swimmers should utilize the summer to learn! once you can swim like 4 laps in a row, you could train for a 1/2 mile in like, 3 or 4 weeks! but yeah, i suppose swimming is the most dangerous part to fail at, so i get it :)

honestly, i just want something to force me into a workout routine before school starts.

Couch to 5k is awesome! It literally did take me from couch to my first 5k a few weeks ago.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu May 10, 2012 1:06 am

what's the COL estimate? I haven't gotten my loan package yet, and I need to figure out my monthly finances

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu May 10, 2012 1:11 am

JamMasterJ wrote:what's the COL estimate? I haven't gotten my loan package yet, and I need to figure out my monthly finances

C'mon Jam, it pops up as the first search result.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu May 10, 2012 1:18 am

bk1 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:what's the COL estimate? I haven't gotten my loan package yet, and I need to figure out my monthly finances

google my ass

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu May 10, 2012 1:36 am

tdicks wrote: it's a .75k (1/2ish mi) swim, 22k (13.6 mi) bike, and a 5k (3 mi) run. i'm starting couch to 5k this week (as in i'm currently at the "couch" part)(i also hate running), and don't own a bike, but i should rock the swim :) all you non-swimmers should utilize the summer to learn! once you can swim like 4 laps in a row, you could train for a 1/2 mile in like, 3 or 4 weeks! but yeah, i suppose swimming is the most dangerous part to fail at, so i get it :)

Oooooooooooooooohhhh. I need to get back in the pool and see how I do w/ a 1/2 mile swim, but the bike ride is pretty easy and I'm (kinda) working towards a 5K already. Hopefully I'm still in shape from being on the high school swim team (L-O-fucking-L).

Seriously tempted. I've always wanted to do a triathlon, and while I'm most likely not ready for a real one, a half would be pretty fucking badass.

tdicks

Postby tdicks » Thu May 10, 2012 5:00 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:Oooooooooooooooohhhh. I need to get back in the pool and see how I do w/ a 1/2 mile swim, but the bike ride is pretty easy and I'm (kinda) working towards a 5K already. Hopefully I'm still in shape from being on the high school swim team (L-O-fucking-L).

Seriously tempted. I've always wanted to do a triathlon, and while I'm most likely not ready for a real one, a half would be pretty fucking badass.

DO IT! seriously, i swam through MIDDLE school and could do a mile within about two weeks of getting back in the water this winter. and finishing your first (ok, fine a half) triathlon IS a pretty badass way to start the school year...

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu May 10, 2012 9:54 am

bk1 wrote:

You seem to be forgetting that Jam's internet proficiency age is like 78. He's probably asking on here because his Usenet search came up empty. Can his Netscape browser even handle Google?

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Thu May 10, 2012 10:30 am

A half-mile swim is nothing as long as you practice regularly. You'll be surprised at how quickly you can do it.

Have my first Tough Mudder this weekend, out in PA. Utterly pumped/completely dreading it.

Also, speaking of internet age, based on my interests, Google places my profile in the "65+" category.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Thu May 10, 2012 10:45 am

basilseal wrote:A half-mile swim is nothing as long as you practice regularly. You'll be surprised at how quickly you can do it.

Have my first Tough Mudder this weekend, out in PA. Utterly pumped/completely dreading it.

Also, speaking of internet age, based on my interests, Google places my profile in the "65+" category.

How do you check your "Google age?" I'm curious as to what I am.

XCanadian91

Postby XCanadian91 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:51 am

tdicks wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

Totally agree -- this DOES sound awesome. but what are you guys doing about the bike part of it? are you all bringing bikes to school?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu May 10, 2012 11:03 am

XCanadian91 wrote:Totally agree -- this DOES sound awesome. but what are you guys doing about the bike part of it? are you all bringing bikes to school?

I have a touring bike that I am probably going to bring along with me. If not, I'll be giving it to my little sister (the frame is a teensy bit small for me now, which has been fucking with my knees) and buy a nice road bike instead. (yaaaaaaaaaaay upgrades :mrgreen: )

...I kinda really want to do this triathlon now. Whyyyy do triathlons have running in them ):

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:05 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
XCanadian91 wrote:Totally agree -- this DOES sound awesome. but what are you guys doing about the bike part of it? are you all bringing bikes to school?

I have a touring bike that I am probably going to bring along with me. If not, I'll be giving it to my little sister (the frame is a teensy bit small for me now, which has been fucking with my knees) and buy a nice road bike instead. (yaaaaaaaaaaay upgrades :mrgreen: )

...I kinda really want to do this triathlon now. Whyyyy do triathlons have running in them ):
I'm likely bringing my mountain bike, but until they make a triathlon with ice skating instead of swimming, I will not be participating. "Swimming" to me is floating in a bathtub.

tdicks

Postby tdicks » Thu May 10, 2012 11:18 am

i'm just going to buy a bike when i get to chicago, as i'm certainly not shipping one home from china. living so close the lake, i feel like it will get a lot of use (at least in the small sliver of time when it's not way too cold to be biking).

also, all of this anti-swimming sentiment is getting me down! swimming is great full body, no impact workout. i hereby issue free swim lesson coupons to everyone in this thread who says they can't swim! i'm probably the least athletic person i know. if i can swim, pretty much anybody can :)

ps- officially registered for the sprint distance chicago triathlon! if anyone else ends up registering, let me know!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:21 am

tdicks wrote:i'm just going to buy a bike when i get to chicago, as i'm certainly not shipping one home from china. living so close the lake, i feel like it will get a lot of use (at least in the small sliver of time when it's not way too cold to be biking).

also, all of this anti-swimming sentiment is getting me down! swimming is great full body, no impact workout. i hereby issue free swim lesson coupons to everyone in this thread who says they can't swim! i'm probably the least athletic person i know. if i can swim, pretty much anybody can :)

ps- officially registered for the sprint distance chicago triathlon! if anyone else ends up registering, let me know!
I can swim, much like I can poke myself in the eye with a pencil. Both activities, I try to avoid. I like bobbing around in a lake with a life jacket on, but it takes way too much effort to propel one's self any sort of distance in water without flotation.

It's probably not true anymore, but I used to sink like a rock when I was skinny. Swimming is even less fun when you're not buoyant.

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu May 10, 2012 11:22 am

Swimming bums me out. When I was a kid, my mom tried to teach me to swim but I wandered off and tried to hit another kid with my floatie instead. She gave up on me right then and there.

ETA: Wow, this post makes me sound like such a debbie downer haha. I would actually really like to be a swimming master.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu May 10, 2012 11:36 am

tdicks wrote:i'm just going to buy a bike when i get to chicago, as i'm certainly not shipping one home from china. living so close the lake, i feel like it will get a lot of use (at least in the small sliver of time when it's not way too cold to be biking).

When's the last day to register? Also, when is the half triathlon? I need to know if I'll have enough time to actually train for endurance lol

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu May 10, 2012 11:41 am

kennethellenparcell wrote:Swimming bums me out. When I was a kid, my mom tried to teach me to swim but I wandered off and tried to hit another kid with my floatie instead. She gave up on me right then and there.

ETA: Wow, this post makes me sound like such a debbie downer haha. I would actually really like to be a swimming master.

:lol: Why does swimming bum you out? Just because you haven't learned? It's pretty easy to learn. Start by floating, then cup your hands and flail your limbs rhythmically until you're moving forward. BOOM! Master swimmer.

Swimming is awesome. It's the only workout activity I don't hate. (I'm not counting sports in that category.)

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu May 10, 2012 12:01 pm

Samara wrote:
kennethellenparcell wrote:Swimming bums me out. When I was a kid, my mom tried to teach me to swim but I wandered off and tried to hit another kid with my floatie instead. She gave up on me right then and there.

:lol: Why does swimming bum you out? Just because you haven't learned? It's pretty easy to learn. Start by floating, then cup your hands and flail your limbs rhythmically until you're moving forward. BOOM! Master swimmer.

Swimming is awesome. It's the only workout activity I don't hate. (I'm not counting sports in that category.)

But... Water up my nose. Ewww.

tdicks

Postby tdicks » Thu May 10, 2012 12:03 pm

Samara wrote: Swimming is awesome. It's the only workout activity I don't hate. (I'm not counting sports in that category.)

+1 with a minor edit...

and i have no clue when the deadline for the tri is, but the price jumps up some on june 1. the race itself is august 26th.

also, i haven't gotten water up my nose in as long as i can remember, so once you get the breathing down you will never have that problem again!

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu May 10, 2012 12:06 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Samara wrote:

But... Water up my nose. Ewww.

Breathe out steadily through your nose and your body will learn quickly how to avoid water up the nose.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”