Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
rinkrat19

Re: Northwestern c/o 2015 - leading the T14 in bacon consumption

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri May 04, 2012 10:36 pm

dresden doll wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:The two buildings on Dearborn (1100 block) look promising. I'm putting those on my list.

I lived on 1117 Dearborn for 775 a month (large studio) and always studied on NU's campus. It's a 10-15 minute walk each way. Frankly, it did me good to be forced to get some exercise on a daily basis.

/slowly backs out of the thread I have no business being in.
Thanks for the time estimate. I was kind of figuring it had to be in that range.

You're always welcome here!

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Fri May 04, 2012 10:41 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:The two buildings on Dearborn (1100 block) look promising. I'm putting those on my list.

I lived on 1117 Dearborn for 775 a month (large studio) and always studied on NU's campus. It's a 10-15 minute walk each way. Frankly, it did me good to be forced to get some exercise on a daily basis.

Thanks for the time estimate. I was kind of figuring it had to be in that range.

You're always welcome here!

Haha, thanks. I just thought I'd contribute since I lived downtown while at UChi (I detest Hyde Park). I loved Gold Coast so much that, by the end of my 2L year, I thought I might be willing to deal with Chi winters on a permanent basis if I could forever live in that part of town.

jeninamillion

Postby jeninamillion » Sat May 05, 2012 1:24 am

I so excited to FINALLY be able to postin this group! I just got admitted yesterday after being put or hold a while ago. Is anyone planning to bring a pet? I want to bring my dog from California, but I have no idea how much harder that will make apartment hunting. Plus, that pretty much guarantees that I can't get university housing.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat May 05, 2012 4:24 am

jeninamillion wrote:I so excited to FINALLY be able to postin this group! I just got admitted yesterday after being put or hold a while ago. Is anyone planning to bring a pet? I want to bring my dog from California, but I have no idea how much harder that will make apartment hunting. Plus, that pretty much guarantees that I can't get university housing.

There is pretty much no university housing.

There are some people bringing dogs who can help you with which buildings allow them; I'm taking my cat.

Also, congrats! 8)

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Sat May 05, 2012 8:28 am

jeninamillion wrote:I so excited to FINALLY be able to postin this group! I just got admitted yesterday after being put or hold a while ago. Is anyone planning to bring a pet? I want to bring my dog from California, but I have no idea how much harder that will make apartment hunting. Plus, that pretty much guarantees that I can't get university housing.

Welcome!

I've seen several different apartments that allow dogs as long as they're not big dogs (I think I've seen both 30lb and 50lb weight limits), so it will limit your apartment options but it's not like it is impossible to find a place.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat May 05, 2012 10:43 am

I have a bigger dog that I'm bringing. It definitely shuts you out of a lot of places, but as I have been looking for places I've been able to find dog-friendly equivalents for all apartment types. PM me if you want.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sat May 05, 2012 11:07 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:Yaaaaaaaay!

Y'all still having issues with the fb group? I think the mod is out of town, so let me know, and I'll see if I can hook you up.

I can haz invitation?

I'll check with the folks who run it :)

jeninamillion

Postby jeninamillion » Sat May 05, 2012 11:43 am

Kikero wrote:
jeninamillion wrote:I so excited to FINALLY be able to post in this group! I just got admitted yesterday after being put or hold a while ago. Is anyone planning to bring a pet? I want to bring my dog from California, but I have no idea how much harder that will make apartment hunting. Plus, that pretty much guarantees that I can't get university housing.

Welcome!

I've seen several different apartments that allow dogs as long as they're not big dogs (I think I've seen both 30lb and 50lb weight limits), so it will limit your apartment options but it's not like it is impossible to find a place.

Do you know which ones they are? She's a 3 pound chihuahua so I don't think the weight thing will be an issue...

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Sat May 05, 2012 12:32 pm

jeninamillion wrote:
Kikero wrote:
jeninamillion wrote:I so excited to FINALLY be able to post in this group! I just got admitted yesterday after being put or hold a while ago. Is anyone planning to bring a pet? I want to bring my dog from California, but I have no idea how much harder that will make apartment hunting. Plus, that pretty much guarantees that I can't get university housing.

Welcome!

Do you know which ones they are? She's a 3 pound chihuahua so I don't think the weight thing will be an issue...

Not going to be around a computer for awhile. I can post something later though.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat May 05, 2012 12:40 pm

jeninamillion wrote:
Kikero wrote:

Welcome!

I have some friends at 420 E Ohio and I know they allow small dogs, I think up to 30 lbs, nice building and they provide free coffee as well, but it was out of my price range. I have a Golden and found plenty of apartments outside of Streeterville that take dogs as well, so you should be fine. I find that Chicago is a surprisingly dog friendly city.

foxylaxy

Postby foxylaxy » Tue May 08, 2012 2:01 am

Samara wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Hello

JAMDAY!!!!!!!!!
JAMDAY!!!!!!!!!
JAMDAY!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATS!!!

OMG! YAY!!!
:lol:

i came here to write about how i was excited upon setting up my northwestern law account that it redirected me to gmail already! MLIA. and your news is much better. WOOOO!

tdicks

Postby tdicks » Tue May 08, 2012 8:40 am

Sooooo, I've been living outside the States since graduating undergrad and literally have no clue how to plan a budget for living in the States, much less Chicago where I've never been.

--How much money is needed a month for groceries? I don't eat refined grains or sugar, so I can't do super-budget, but that's pretty much my only expensive eating habit. I'm fine with generic brands and non-organic vegetables.

--How much do drinks cost in an average bar? I feel like I remember $5-7 with better prices at happy hour/at a dive?

It looks like we're given about 1500/mo for room and board if you budget for 9 months, and I'm just trying to get a handle on how much I can spend on rent/utilities and not starve/be completely antisocial.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Tue May 08, 2012 9:37 am

tdicks wrote:Sooooo, I've been living outside the States since graduating undergrad and literally have no clue how to plan a budget for living in the States, much less Chicago where I've never been.

--How much money is needed a month for groceries? I don't eat refined grains or sugar, so I can't do super-budget, but that's pretty much my only expensive eating habit. I'm fine with generic brands and non-organic vegetables.

--How much do drinks cost in an average bar? I feel like I remember $5-7 with better prices at happy hour/at a dive?

It looks like we're given about 1500/mo for room and board if you budget for 9 months, and I'm just trying to get a handle on how much I can spend on rent/utilities and not starve/be completely antisocial.

I found this for food costs: http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/usdafoodcost-home.htm

And I think $5-7 is a good estimate for drinks, although you're more likely to find drinks over $7 than under $5.

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:47 am

Kikero wrote:And I think $5-7 is a good estimate for drinks, although you're more likely to find drinks over $7 than under $5.
Last edited by dolfan0516 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue May 08, 2012 9:56 am

Welcome to the gangbang, pimp. It's great to have you.

tdicks

Postby tdicks » Tue May 08, 2012 10:18 am

Kikero wrote:I found this for food costs: http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/usdafoodcost-home.htm

thanks, that was both useful and interesting! fortunately, my groceries and booze will both be significantly cheaper than they are here, which wasn't expected. unfortunately, i'll have significantly (significantly) less disposable income. shanghai has completely warped my concept of the value of a dollar.

tdicks

Postby tdicks » Wed May 09, 2012 8:19 am

me again, totally different topic though.

i've decided (more or less on a whim) to do the chicago triathlon (well, the halfie) the weekend before orientation starts. i noticed there were a ton of runners and a few bikers in this thread... anyone else doing this?

krushktk

Postby krushktk » Wed May 09, 2012 11:35 am

bjsesq wrote:

Last edited by krushktk on Sun May 13, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed May 09, 2012 11:44 am

dolfan0516 wrote:
Kikero wrote:And I think $5-7 is a good estimate for drinks, although you're more likely to find drinks over $7 than under $5.

Man, that's definitely one reason I'm going to miss living in a college town- the cheap drinks. $1 singles all night is nice!

Most bars have drink specials, you can find some special every night of the week and happy hours every night. The bars right around campus are a bit more expensive, but if you go a little further out there are places that have $1 beers, $1 wells, etc. Also, many bars on the weekends run specials like $35 for 4-5 hours of drafts, wells, and a buffet. You can make it out cheap if you plan accordingly.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed May 09, 2012 11:45 am

bjsesq wrote:

Nice, always keeping it classy.

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Wed May 09, 2012 11:53 am

Jesus I missed so much. First of all, CONGRATUFUCKINGLATIONS Jam! So well deserved.

Crumps and scarlet, the feeling of love is mutual.

Tdicks - wish I could do a tri but I am a terrible swimmer. I actually had to take a swim class to pass college (stupid requirement) - so I'll probably die a watery death. But, if you are up for doing the half marathon in September - please holler at me!

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Wed May 09, 2012 12:48 pm

dresden doll wrote:

I feel like all the studios I've been looking at are around $1200-1400 a month - have I just been looking in the wrong locations? I'm doing this all via the internet, btw

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:49 pm

tdicks wrote:
Kikero wrote:I found this for food costs: http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/usdafoodcost-home.htm

thanks, that was both useful and interesting! fortunately, my groceries and booze will both be significantly cheaper than they are here, which wasn't expected. unfortunately, i'll have significantly (significantly) less disposable income. shanghai has completely warped my concept of the value of a dollar.

man, i would like to but my swimming and biking skills are pretty much non-existent

on a related note, anyone have any advice on getting over a bad case of runner's knee?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed May 09, 2012 1:47 pm

Icculus wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

I have class seeping out of my dago pores.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed May 09, 2012 10:47 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Icculus wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

I have class seeping out of my dago pores.

Isn’t that just like a wop…. brings a knife to a gun-fight…. get outta here, ya dago bastard!! go on!! get outta here!!!

Man, I'm gonna miss this over the summer.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”