Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
crumpetsandtea

Re: Northwestern c/o 2015 - leading the T14 in bacon consumption

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:05 pm

JustE wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
JustE wrote: :( Unfortunately not. But I'll be making several trips to Chicago next year. Maybe I can join you guys for a drink?...

I'm still mad at you for this, E. :evil:

okaynotreally but WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN. You totally deserted the NU threads. :(

:(

I did... I'm sorry. :oops: It just hurts to know I won't be a part of all the cool things you guys are planning. I LIKE BACON TOO!!!

Can we still hang out a bit when I visit, Crumps?

ETA: Thank you Splitter Friends for helping me make it through the LSAT. I don't know what I would have done (or scored) without you. :|

Ummmmm YES we can still hang out, don't be silly :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And awwwwwwwwwwww Splitter Friends forever <3 <3 <3 Those tars were fucking LEGIT.

E, what is your gchat/fb info? (Yes I'm fucking creepy :oops: ) We can keep in touch. You're going to Mich, right? We should have epic Mich/NU hangouts XD

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:07 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Kikero wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
kerflux wrote:For anyone who has visited or somehow knows the vicinity, what are some good apartment complexes close to the school & are they all around 1200 for a studio?

I think McClurg is ~1250 for a studio on a lower floor (the prices go up once you get to higher floors with lake views). That seems to be about the norm in the area.

Yeah, McClurg starts at $1250. 420 East Ohio starts at $1350, and Onterie doesn't have prices listed on their website, but I think it was around $1300 iirc. Those three were the only ones on the housing tour at ASW so they are the only ones I know anything about. Also, I'm not sure if those prices are what people actually pay or just what the advertised rates are. Anyone living in any of these buildings paying less than what is advertised?

One of the current students I met who lives in McClurg quoted 1250 too (for like the 3rd floor), I don't think it goes any lower than that. :(

I'm thinking of visiting again for like 2-3 days just to apartment hunt. Do y'all think I should go in early June or in late July, if I want to move in by August 10th?

That's what I was afraid of :(

Also, I have no personal experience with apartment hunting, but from everything I've heard June should be close enough that you could find an apartment for August without feeling rushed like you might at the end of July.

P.S. I sent you a Words with Friends challenge awhile ago

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:10 pm

Kikero wrote:That's what I was afraid of :(

Also, I have no personal experience with apartment hunting, but from everything I've heard June should be close enough that you could find an apartment for August without feeling rushed like you might at the end of July.

P.S. I sent you a Words with Friends challenge awhile ago

Yeah...I'd have to go the first weekend of June though (which is actually my birthday...so those of you who are in Chi, if I do end up having to make a trip, expect me to drag you out), which might still be a little early.

UGHHH damn this '45 days before move-in' nonsense.

PS: I haven't looked at my iPad in ages, I'm sorry!!! I will get on that right away :mrgreen:

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:13 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:PS: I haven't looked at my iPad in ages, I'm sorry!!! I will get on that right away :mrgreen:

No problems, it's 8)

tjddk

Postby tjddk » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:15 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:I'm thinking of visiting again for like 2-3 days just to apartment hunt. Do y'all think I should go in early June or in late July, if I want to move in by August 10th?

I'd personally go early June. That way, you still have the chance to put yourself on waitlists, but they also might know of availability in August. Worst comes to worst, you end up looking at a "typical" unit and put yourself down on the wait list for a similar unit with enough time for something to become available by August, and you still have time to keep looking if nothing comes through.

I realized that the craigslist market moves RIDICULOUSLY fast and that I had no shot trying to get a place from California. The wait list at Onterie costs about the same as 2-3 application fees and is sort of a fallback in case I can't find anything. The Onterie studios are smaller than I'd like, but very cleverly laid out to maximize sq footage (felt a LOT bigger than the one I saw at DeWitt, which was bigger by sq-ft)

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:51 pm

tjddk wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:I'm thinking of visiting again for like 2-3 days just to apartment hunt. Do y'all think I should go in early June or in late July, if I want to move in by August 10th?

I'd personally go early June. That way, you still have the chance to put yourself on waitlists, but they also might know of availability in August. Worst comes to worst, you end up looking at a "typical" unit and put yourself down on the wait list for a similar unit with enough time for something to become available by August, and you still have time to keep looking if nothing comes through.

I realized that the craigslist market moves RIDICULOUSLY fast and that I had no shot trying to get a place from California. The wait list at Onterie costs about the same as 2-3 application fees and is sort of a fallback in case I can't find anything. The Onterie studios are smaller than I'd like, but very cleverly laid out to maximize sq footage (felt a LOT bigger than the one I saw at DeWitt, which was bigger by sq-ft)

How would you compare Onterie to McClurg? Did you visit McClurg?

tjddk

Postby tjddk » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:57 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
tjddk wrote:

I didn't (I was in Chicago for less than 24 hours, so I'm shocked I even got to looking at places...) but I stayed with a friend in Onterie, who pays around 1,200 for her studio. She thought that McClurg was slightly more expensive than Onterie, and I really liked her building/studio anyway. I'm also looking at Lakeshore Plaza b/c their studios seem bigger (while still within my budget) and I'm afraid of feeling claustrophobic in a studio...

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:01 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
tjddk wrote:

They seemed pretty comparable to me. Apparently McClurg has a larger (600 sq ft) studio that I didn't get to see on the tour, but the basic studios at each seemed pretty similar.

You can check out floor plans for McClurg: http://www.rmk.com/mcclurg/floor_plans/default.aspx and Onterie: --LinkRemoved--

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:06 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:How would you compare Onterie to McClurg? Did you visit McClurg?

I think McClurg as a building seemed nicer when I was looking but now I think it's a wash. Onterie is more spacious than McClurg (at least 1 bedrooms are). Onterie was cheaper, especially considering I think they give a bigger bonus to NU students than McClurg. Also Onterie doesn't include the gym in your rent (you have to pay extra). That's nice for NU students since the gym at Onterie is around $60/month whereas the River East Club is only around $15/month (this is the one that NU subsidizes for students) so you can save money by using the River East Club. But if you pay for the gym at Onterie its price gets comparable to McClurg (which doesn't make you pay for the gym but whose rent is already higher).

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:33 pm

So, just got an e-mail saying that all financial aid funds have already been allocated for this upcoming year. Is anyone else looking at attending at sticker? I was kinda hoping for better news, this is a legitimately pretty scary scenario now.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:41 pm

Apartment officially acquired. Moving to Chicago the 3rd week of June.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:41 pm

kerflux wrote:So, just got an e-mail saying that all financial aid funds have already been allocated for this upcoming year. Is anyone else looking at attending at sticker? I was kinda hoping for better news, this is a legitimately pretty scary scenario now.

Debt slave, checking in. Stiffen the sinews and unto the breach, bro.

tjddk

Postby tjddk » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:47 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Apartment officially acquired. Moving to Chicago the 3rd week of June.

Congrats!! Where?!

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:50 pm

I am guessing there's probably no point in appealing the decision? The e-mail seemed pretty final

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:51 pm

tjddk wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:Apartment officially acquired. Moving to Chicago the 3rd week of June.

[img]freshprince[/img]

Congrats!! Where?!

McClurg. I figure I can move further out and save $ 2L/3L, but I'm from the middle of freaking nowhere and living downtown will be enough of an adjustment for me, so McClurg saves me some worry for 1L.

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:17 pm

foxylaxy

Postby foxylaxy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:35 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:Oh yes, also can't argue with the heat and humidity issues in Chicago. But there are so many fun things to do in Chicago during the summer!

Baseball games, food festivals, farmer's markets, music festivals, barbeques by Lake Michigan, running season, Navy Pier fireworks, Air & Water show...sure that foxy laxy would have more to add to this list :D

Sadly, I don't have many other things to add! But these things are still good :) Except, lots of bbq fests. Unfortunately, I generally find these in the burbs. Well, the water taxi is open now too (takes you along the lake) and so I would assume you can kayak in the river too (but the river is dirty). The Pride Parade is early in the summer. I've never been but from the looks of my friends' pictures it looks like a fun time to be had.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:39 pm

foxylaxy wrote:
kennethellenparcell wrote:Oh yes, also can't argue with the heat and humidity issues in Chicago. But there are so many fun things to do in Chicago during the summer!

Baseball games, food festivals, farmer's markets, music festivals, barbeques by Lake Michigan, running season, Navy Pier fireworks, Air & Water show...sure that foxy laxy would have more to add to this list :D

Sadly, I don't have many other things to add! But these things are still good :) Except, lots of bbq fests. Unfortunately, I generally find these in the burbs. Well, the water taxi is open now too (takes you along the lake) and so I would assume you can kayak in the river too (but the river is dirty). The Pride Parade is early in the summer. I've never been but from the looks of my friends' pictures it looks like a fun time to be had.

Pride Parade is awesome. My first visit to Boystown was on the day of the pride parade. At the time, I had no idea that the pride parade was that day or even that Boystown was the gay neighborhood of Chicago. I was like :shock: :arrow: :D

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:19 pm

Pride?? Omg I so want to go. Somehow I always miss SF/LA pride by being in the wrong city (during LA pride I'm in NorCal, during SF pride I'm in LA). So sad :(

chill

Postby chill » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:41 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:44 pm

chill wrote:I don't know if y'all remember me, but I said I wasn't going to NU...and that was actually a lie. I'm going to attempt to defer for a year (my partner's going to NU, too, and we will save a big chunk of change by simply staggering our debt burdens so we're only accruing living expenses debt for 2 years rather than 3), but I'm going. I'm feeling pretty damn happy about it.

BUT: We're also going out of the country mid-June until (basically) August 1. We're planning on flying out in the first week of August to find an apartment, sign a lease, and then drive our stuff out, unpack, and get settled in. We're not interested in Streeterville-- we'd be happy anywhere from Gold Coast up to, say, Lakeview. We've both lived in vintage buildings since graduating college and are, frankly, ready for a unit that is clean, new (-ish-- just so long as the building is younger than I am, we'll be happy), and contains a freakin' dishwasher. It sounds like people think waiting until the first week of August to find a place is madness? Our only other option is flying out in late May. Wise future classmates, what do you all think?

Your question will probably be answered better by others since I'm living in streeterville, but I just wanted to pop in and say
1) I remember you!
2) yay!! Congrats to you and your partner both!

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:48 pm

chill wrote:I don't know if y'all remember me, but I said I wasn't going to NU...and that was actually a lie. I'm going to attempt to defer for a year (my partner's going to NU, too, and we will save a big chunk of change by simply staggering our debt burdens so we're only accruing living expenses debt for 2 years rather than 3), but I'm going. I'm feeling pretty damn happy about it.

BUT: We're also going out of the country mid-June until (basically) August 1. We're planning on flying out in the first week of August to find an apartment, sign a lease, and then drive our stuff out, unpack, and get settled in. We're not interested in Streeterville-- we'd be happy anywhere from Gold Coast up to, say, Lakeview. We've both lived in vintage buildings since graduating college and are, frankly, ready for a unit that is clean, new (-ish-- just so long as the building is younger than I am, we'll be happy), and contains a freakin' dishwasher. It sounds like people think waiting until the first week of August to find a place is madness? Our only other option is flying out in late May. Wise future classmates, what do you all think?

ZOMG CHILL!!!!!!!! This makes me beyond happy. <3 <3 Fellow splitters FTW

I would recommend calling a few complexes in the area you're interested in and asking if August or May would be better. May might be a taaaaaad bit early, but in August there's no guarantee that anything will be immediately available either.

Ultimately though I do think August is a safer choice, assuming you're okay with moving in during later Aug. (also, disclaimer, I don't know THAT much about chicago apartments :oops: )

chill

Postby chill » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:04 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:22 pm

chill wrote:Aw, thanks to you both! I think I dropped out of this thread right after promising to make fresh pasta for y'all-- that's definitely back on the table now. I'm really looking forward to actually meeting you guys!

QFP.

:lol: But seriously, dinner parties for suuure. It's kind of awesome that we've been talking about it since before apps were even all submitted, and now it's pretty much the same group of people and we're all actually going to NU!!! :mrgreen:

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:12 pm

So I am still waiting to join the fbook group. No seriously. I had to double check that my tuition deposit went through and I was actually admitted to the school. I tried emailing Abigail (the mod of the group) last week, but Im assuming/hoping shes just busy with finals.

One day I shall join you all in the wonderful world of the facebook group. One day...

It doesnt mean much right now, but I want to join the group cause I am going to have to start looking for a roommate kinda soonish. If anyone sees this that might also be looking for a roommate, let me know. Im looking for a 2/2 in streeterville

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”