Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
kerflux

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby kerflux » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:44 am

Just curious what your guys' timelines look like, in terms of uprooting things and getting to Chicago. The sooner I can put in my two weeks and start accruing massive debt, the better! Also, if you're living nearby, how feasible/beneficial is it to have a car? Is it tough to find a spot close to the school?
I'm assuming all moving expenses etc. are out-of-pocket since loans probably aren't disbursed since the first week of the semester?

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:53 am

kerflux wrote:Just curious what your guys' timelines look like, in terms of uprooting things and getting to Chicago. The sooner I can put in my two weeks and start accruing massive debt, the better! Also, if you're living nearby, how feasible/beneficial is it to have a car? Is it tough to find a spot close to the school?
I'm assuming all moving expenses etc. are out-of-pocket since loans probably aren't disbursed since the first week of the semester?

1) the apartment I want is open June 22nd, which is a little later than I planned, so I'll be blowing some time at my parents house between my current lease ending and my new one starting. I'm on the very early end-- I think most people are moving in July or August.
2) I'm planning to live nearby, and i'll have my car the first few months before selling it.parking is expensive and I just don't think I'll need it.
3) moving expenses are out of pocket indeed :-/ advice at ASW from fin-aid was just to start saving now. My parents are loaning me a small amount to furnish my apartment, but the rest of it is coming from summer paychecks/savings.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:55 am

kerflux wrote:Just curious what your guys' timelines look like, in terms of uprooting things and getting to Chicago. The sooner I can put in my two weeks and start accruing massive debt, the better! Also, if you're living nearby, how feasible/beneficial is it to have a car? Is it tough to find a spot close to the school?

You don't want to have a car in Chicago if you can help it. Parking near school is either difficult, expensive, or both. This is true for most of the city. I've lived here almost a year and never needed a car (except for one road trip to Madison, and we rented one cheaply). Quite a few people use iGo or zipcar if they need a car every now and again.

And yes, loans disbursed just before classes.

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:55 am

I live in Chicago now and I think it's a bad financial idea to have a car in Streeterville. I'm actually going to sell mine before school starts. Parking is very expensive and as far as I know, Northwestern doesn't give discounted parking passes to students who live close to campus. I think zipcar will probably be a better idea if you need a vehicle. Public transport is pretty good in Chicago and we get a UPass I think.

But also, I'm a really bad driver so having to fend off scary taxi drivers downtown on a daily basis scares me.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:57 am

kennethellenparcell wrote:

I live in Chicago now and I think it's a bad financial idea to have a car in Streeterville. I'm actually going to sell mine before school starts. Parking is very expensive and as far as I know, Northwestern doesn't give discounted parking passes to students who live close to campus. I think zipcar will probably be a better idea if you need a vehicle. Public transport is pretty good in Chicago and we get a UPass I think.

But also, I'm a really bad driver so having to fend off scary taxi drivers downtown on a daily basis scares me.

KEP, get ready for me to be bugging you to hang out in late June :-D

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:59 am

franklyscarlet wrote:

Dude I am so excited about this.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:59 am

I'm also selling my car. Cost of car ownership anywhere in the city is crazy and unnecessary. I've also signed up for Zipcar and will rent from Enterprise when I go out of town. Weekend rates are actually pretty cheap. You could rent a car for two weekends a month for the cost of just parking your car in Streeterville.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:00 am

franklyscarlet wrote:

Dude I am so excited about this.

:-D time needs to go faster. Chicago NAOW please.

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:05 am

franklyscarlet wrote: :-D time needs to go faster. Chicago NAOW please.

Summertime in Chicago is the greatest! I am glad you are coming here early so you can experience the awesomeness.

Are you and crumps going to lollapalooza?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:14 am

My move date is still really vague, but I'm aiming for sometime around the beginning of August.

I'll be leaving my car at my dad's house, reducing its insurance down to the bare legal minimum. Parking is just too ridiculous in Chicago, and I assume my insurance would increase significantly as well.

My dad was insisting that a U-Haul truck would be best, which would be a 3 or 4-day nightmare of loading, driving cross-country with a cat, and unloading in Streeterville, but now some reasonable estimates from actual moving companies are making him reconsider. THANK GOD. If it's gonna cost $2000 either way, I'd much rather someone else do all the work.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:20 am

Summertime in Chicago is the greatest! I am glad you are coming here early so you can experience the awesomeness.

Are you and crumps going to lollapalooza?

I want to! Haven't really looked into it yet.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:24 am

I'm really hoping to avoid as much of the Chicago summer as possible. (Please please please let me find summer work at home!) 80°+ and 80%+ humidity, no thank you.

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:21 pm

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:23 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

I'm really hoping to avoid as much of the Chicago summer as possible. (Please please please let me find summer work at home!) 80°+ and 80%+ humidity, no thank you.

Credited.

tjddk

Postby tjddk » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:34 pm

Last edited by tjddk on Fri May 18, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:15 pm

I figured it'd make more sense to just purchase everything I need once I moved out there; aside from clothes and some easily transportable items. I can survive w/just a box spring, mattress, xbox & a blender, so it shouldn't be too hard.

I thought it may make more sense to rent a room somewhere, anyone have any experience with that? Kinda wary of it, but I feel like renting an entire apt. is a huge and somewhat unnecessary expenditure
Last edited by kerflux on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bbalcrzy23

Postby bbalcrzy23 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:15 pm

Can the seat deposit be paid online, or only by mail?

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:17 pm

kerflux wrote:I figured it'd make more sense to just purchase everything I need once I moved out there; aside from clothes and some easily transportable items. I can survive w/just a box spring, mattress, xbox & a blender, so it shouldn't be too hard.

I thought it may make more sense to rent a room somewhere, anyone have any experience with that? Kinda wary of it, but I feel like renting an entire apt. is a huge and somewhat unnecessary expenditure

I'm selling everything that won't fit in my car and hitting up IKEA when I get there.

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:19 pm

Sounds like a plan. Haven't even looked into how long of a drive it is, but as long as I can finagle a way to get my big screen into my back seat that's what I'll be doing too.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:19 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
kerflux wrote:I figured it'd make more sense to just purchase everything I need once I moved out there; aside from clothes and some easily transportable items. I can survive w/just a box spring, mattress, xbox & a blender, so it shouldn't be too hard.

I'm selling everything that won't fit in my car and hitting up IKEA when I get there.
I, too, am doing a massive Ikea run, but I might do it in Oregon and then move the unopened boxes. 10% sales tax is no joke.

My larger furniture I'll be storing in Dad's garage, not selling (most of it).

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:22 pm

I'm also thinking of this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90198978/ instead of a sofa and a bed...

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:26 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:I'm also thinking of this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90198978/ instead of a sofa and a bed...

I had one of those. had the basic mattress and was miserable. Upgraded mattress- bliss.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:31 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:I'm also thinking of this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90198978/ instead of a sofa and a bed...
Nice-looking. But I wouldn't want to fold it up back into a couch every day, so I'd be living most of the time without a sofa. But maybe you aren't as lazy as I am. :P

I'm still thinking a loft bed with either a loveseat or desk underneath.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80160867/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S59902856/

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:31 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:

I had one of those. had the basic mattress and was miserable. Upgraded mattress- bliss.

noted. Did you get the bliss mattress from Ikea as well, or elsewhere?

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:35 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

noted. Did you get the bliss mattress from Ikea as well, or elsewhere?

From Ikea. On second look, I had a slightly different one- this one seems have the mattress built in. the one I had, you had options for the sofa seats/mattress part. /useless

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”