Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
User avatar
kennethellenparcell
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:02 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby kennethellenparcell » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:23 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Oh god guys I officially have 11K+ posts. someone kill me now.

Also one last gif about this (I swear I'll stop):

Image


Bahaha. You know TLS would be a sadder place without you crumps.

User avatar
foxylaxy
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby foxylaxy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:29 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Also I will do the 5K with you if you do it. Even though I'll be way slower than you I'm sure :mrgreen:


We will hold hands and sing "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" a la Heath Ledger and finish together! :lol:

Scarlet, now if we could only convince a certain ASW attendee that he can't skip the coolness for the lames at Columbia...

User avatar
foxylaxy
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby foxylaxy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:30 pm

Also, I am now going to be creepy and join the NU facebook group and friend everyone from ASW :lol:

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:30 pm

foxylaxy wrote:We will hold hands and sing "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" a la Heath Ledger and finish together! :lol:

Scarlet, now if we could only convince a certain ASW attendee that he can't skip the coolness for the lames at Columbia...

Yesssssssssssss oh my god can we make this happen. :lol: :lol:

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:31 pm

foxylaxy wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Also I will do the 5K with you if you do it. Even though I'll be way slower than you I'm sure :mrgreen:


We will hold hands and sing "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" a la Heath Ledger and finish together! :lol:

Scarlet, now if we could only convince a certain ASW attendee that he can't skip the coolness for the lames at Columbia...


He's there now, and I fully anticipate him becoming convinced that new York is a slum and Chicago is where it's at. Plus, no possible way the people will be as cool.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:32 pm

Why do you guys keep spelling CoLOLmbia wrong?

User avatar
foxylaxy
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby foxylaxy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:51 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Why do you guys keep spelling CoLOLmbia wrong?


LOL :P never again, crumps. CoLOLumbia it is!

User avatar
cactuarX3
Posts: 686
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby cactuarX3 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:07 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
foxylaxy wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Also I will do the 5K with you if you do it. Even though I'll be way slower than you I'm sure :mrgreen:


We will hold hands and sing "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" a la Heath Ledger and finish together! :lol:

Scarlet, now if we could only convince a certain ASW attendee that he can't skip the coolness for the lames at Columbia...


He's there now, and I fully anticipate him becoming convinced that new York is a slum and Chicago is where it's at. Plus, no possible way the people will be as cool.


what's this talk about a 5K? wouldn't you rather see 13.1 miles of Chicago rather than just 3.1?

but anyway, that's AWESOME! congratulations on your successful negotiation foxylaxy! hopefully, they still got some money left over to up my offer too...

User avatar
cactuarX3
Posts: 686
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby cactuarX3 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:20 pm

Just got the email from the financial aid office increasing my offer! Will be withdrawing from Dook and attending Northwestern this fall!

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:21 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:Just got the email from the financial aid office increasing my offer! Will be withdrawing from Dook and attending Northwestern this fall!


Good for you!! Did you negotiate?

User avatar
Kikero
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby Kikero » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:23 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:Just got the email from the financial aid office increasing my offer! Will be withdrawing from Dook and attending Northwestern this fall!


Awesome, congratulations on the:

Image

0000001
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:58 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby 0000001 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:38 pm

Long time lurker - and for those of you at ASW weekend I was the girl who get invited myself to all your TLSer outings over the weekend and creepily knew who you all were.

I loved all you guys, and like I said the awesomeness of the people on this board was part of the reason I decided on Northwestern. I need some advice - I placed my deposit for Northwestern on Monday and loved everyone I met over ASW. Love the laid back environment and had convinced myself that Northwestern was where I wanted to go to school. BUT my dream school before this cycle was UChicago and I just got in off their waitlist.

I'm a huge fan of the intellectual, discursive and rigorous environment. Part of me feels like the reason I did so bad in undergrad was because I wasn't challenged enough and I worry I may get complacent at Northwestern. Alternatively, I've heard a lot of negatives about the quality of life and the personalities of the students at UChicago especially in comparison to Northwestern.

I would love your guys opinion on what to do?! Also the reason I'm not posting this on the 'Choosing a Law School' forum is because I've met some of you and trust your opinions in the aggregate over the general TLS posters

Thanks!

User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 3997
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 1981 12:25 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby Corsair » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:44 pm

..

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:48 pm

0000001 wrote:I'm a huge fan of the intellectual, discursive and rigorous environment. Part of me feels like the reason I did so bad in undergrad was because I wasn't challenged enough and I worry I may get complacent at Northwestern. Alternatively, I've heard a lot of negatives about the quality of life and the personalities of the students at UChicago especially in comparison to Northwestern.


There are plenty of very bright professors here (just like there are at UChi). There's plenty of competition here considering everyone is on a forced curve (just like there is at UChi). There are gunners here like some chick who is gunning for SCOTUS from day 1 (just like there are at UChi). People like to exaggerate the differences between student T14 bodies but the difference is really small. You pretty much have a similar pool of 3.8+ 170+ kids at all T14's.

What really matters is cost/job prospects. UChi has better job prospects than NU, which leaves choosing between up to the price. If UChi is cheaper, take UChi. If they are the same price or close to the same price, take UChi because of better job prospects. If NU is cheaper, then it depends on how much cheaper. 50k or more cheaper, I'd take NU. 50k-30k cheaper, I'd probably take NU. 30k or less cheaper, I'd take UChi.

User avatar
cactuarX3
Posts: 686
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby cactuarX3 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:50 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:Just got the email from the financial aid office increasing my offer! Will be withdrawing from Dook and attending Northwestern this fall!


Good for you!! Did you negotiate?


I did. At first, they said no, but then I went direct to Johann and somehow that worked.

User avatar
Kikero
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby Kikero » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:52 pm

0000001 wrote:Long time lurker - and for those of you at ASW weekend I was the girl who get invited myself to all your TLSer outings over the weekend and creepily knew who you all were.

I loved all you guys, and like I said the awesomeness of the people on this board was part of the reason I decided on Northwestern. I need some advice - I placed my deposit for Northwestern on Monday and loved everyone I met over ASW. Love the laid back environment and had convinced myself that Northwestern was where I wanted to go to school. BUT my dream school before this cycle was UChicago and I just got in off their waitlist.

I'm a huge fan of the intellectual, discursive and rigorous environment. Part of me feels like the reason I did so bad in undergrad was because I wasn't challenged enough and I worry I may get complacent at Northwestern. Alternatively, I've heard a lot of negatives about the quality of life and the personalities of the students at UChicago especially in comparison to Northwestern.

I would love your guys opinion on what to do?! Also the reason I'm not posting this on the 'Choosing a Law School' forum is because I've met some of you and trust your opinions in the aggregate over the general TLS posters

Thanks!


I assume you don't have any $$$ from UChi since you just got off the waitlist, what about at NU? Also have you visited UChi? That might give you a better idea on the whole quality of life/personality front. I know before ASW I was not expecting NU to seem so "laid back" as you said. I guess conventional wisdom would say if there is no financial incentive at NU then you should go to Chicago. Overall though, I think you've got good options. Congratulations, whatever you choose to do.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:05 pm

Nothing to add except congrats! And, if you end up at chi, we're not far away :)

tjddk
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:05 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby tjddk » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:08 pm

Congrats guys!

On a totally different note... I'm already thinking about fantasy football - any interest?

User avatar
cactuarX3
Posts: 686
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby cactuarX3 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:09 pm

tjddk wrote:Congrats guys!

On a totally different note... I'm already thinking about fantasy football - any interest?


college or NFL?

User avatar
Kikero
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby Kikero » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:12 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
tjddk wrote:Congrats guys!

On a totally different note... I'm already thinking about fantasy football - any interest?


college or NFL?


I second this question.

If NFL, I'm down. If college....I'm still down, but less enthusiastic.

tjddk
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:05 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby tjddk » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:14 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
tjddk wrote:Congrats guys!

On a totally different note... I'm already thinking about fantasy football - any interest?


college or NFL?


Whoa, I've never played college fantasy football... I feel like I'd just draft players from my alma mater.

Fantasy Football is so much more fun when you get to trash-talk in person :D

User avatar
cactuarX3
Posts: 686
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby cactuarX3 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:15 pm

0000001 wrote:Long time lurker - and for those of you at ASW weekend I was the girl who get invited myself to all your TLSer outings over the weekend and creepily knew who you all were.

I loved all you guys, and like I said the awesomeness of the people on this board was part of the reason I decided on Northwestern. I need some advice - I placed my deposit for Northwestern on Monday and loved everyone I met over ASW. Love the laid back environment and had convinced myself that Northwestern was where I wanted to go to school. BUT my dream school before this cycle was UChicago and I just got in off their waitlist.

I'm a huge fan of the intellectual, discursive and rigorous environment. Part of me feels like the reason I did so bad in undergrad was because I wasn't challenged enough and I worry I may get complacent at Northwestern. Alternatively, I've heard a lot of negatives about the quality of life and the personalities of the students at UChicago especially in comparison to Northwestern.

I would love your guys opinion on what to do?! Also the reason I'm not posting this on the 'Choosing a Law School' forum is because I've met some of you and trust your opinions in the aggregate over the general TLS posters

Thanks!


Hmmm, I think I know who you are and we talked a little about this during the Follies.

The impression that I got from Northwestern was that it wasn't really an "intellectual" school where people debate law as an abstract concept, but rather was a place where most people were there to get a good GPA, get a biglaw gig and graduate as quickly as possible (this is probably due to the older student body who are more career focused).

Not trying to put down the intellectual side of law, there definitely is a place for it and maybe a school like Chicago offers that, especially since they have a stronger placement into academia than Northwestern does.

I think I echo a lot of people's sentiments here when I say that you really can't go wrong with either choice, so whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll do great!

P.S. You say you "didn't do well" in undergrad but got into Chicago??? I'm guessing that means you got a 3.9 instead of a 4.0...

User avatar
kennethellenparcell
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:02 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby kennethellenparcell » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:15 pm

0000001 wrote:I would love your guys opinion on what to do?! Also the reason I'm not posting this on the 'Choosing a Law School' forum is because I've met some of you and trust your opinions in the aggregate over the general TLS posters

Thanks!


Wow, congrats! :D I'll be honest with you. I love Northwestern but I would probably take UChicago if they accepted me off the waitlist. But that's a personal preference. Go visit and talk to UChi students! Also, I am sure Northwestern is offering you some money. Both schools are amazing places to be and I really don't think you can go wrong.

This is not very helpful, I know haha. I think choosing a law school is such a personal choice though. For example, I would never take NYU over Northwestern.

User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 3997
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 1981 12:25 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby Corsair » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:39 pm

..

0000001
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:58 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby 0000001 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:41 pm

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I didn't mean to highjack this forum with my question and I really appreciate everyone's input.

I got money but not that much from Northwestern, with the cheaper tuition and COL at UChicago its not enough to make a real difference.

I'm going to give myself a week to think on it but I think right now I'm leaning Chicago. :(
Last edited by 0000001 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest