Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Samara

Gold

Re: Northwestern c/o 2015 - leading the T14 in bacon consumption

Post by Samara » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:24 am

kennethellenparcell wrote:Bahaha. Ikea. So there was a 30 Rock episode where Liz Lemon and her boyfriend went to Ikea and they had a terrible time. I gotta admit I'm not sure I like Ikea. Because everything I buy from there is cheap but crappy. The other day I bought a shark ice cube tray (so I can drink beverages with sharks swimming in them) and I thought it was awesome until I brought it home. I guess I am drinking beverages with deformed sharks swimming in them? Sad.
LOL I also have the shark ice cube tray! It works for me, even though they are a bit small so you have use half the tray on one drink.

I've been to IKEA a few times and I really enjoy it there. You definitely need to have a game plan though, or you'll end up wasting the whole day only making it through three sections. I've had mixed results with IKEA's stuff. Their towels are awesome, I've liked every lighting fixture I've purchased, my dining room table, and end tables. The entertainment center was really good until we broke it trying to load it into the moving truck. :oops: The desk I have is not great and neither are the couches.

If there is a common thread to my IKEA purchases, I would say that the items that have worked out well are the "accessories"/small items and the mid-price range items. So, if there are three price levels for each type of furniture item at IKEA, the cheapest level has not worked out well, the middle level has worked out well so far and I haven't purchased anything from the most expensive level, but it looks nice. So, I would advice prospective IKEA shoppers to suck it up and buy the mid-range stuff.

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Post by kennethellenparcell » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:03 am

Good points, Samara! Duly noted for future Ikea purchases.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:04 am

Did someone say bacon?

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:06 am

JustE wrote:Did someone say bacon?
Iiiittttt's baconnnnnn!!!

E, is there still a chance of you joining us?

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:09 am

franklyscarlet wrote:

:( Unfortunately not. But I'll be making several trips to Chicago next year. Maybe I can join you guys for a drink?...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:10 am

JustE wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

:( Unfortunately not. But I'll be making several trips to Chicago next year. Maybe I can join you guys for a several drinks?...
FTFY

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:12 am

And flipcup. Don't forget flipcup.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:25 am

:D

mattviphky

Silver

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Post by mattviphky » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:30 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:Dude Costco is the fucking shiiiit. Might get a membership myself too.
I'm in love with your tar.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Post by kennethellenparcell » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:07 pm

Oh yes, also can't argue with the heat and humidity issues in Chicago. But there are so many fun things to do in Chicago during the summer!

Baseball games, food festivals, farmer's markets, music festivals, barbeques by Lake Michigan, running season, Navy Pier fireworks, Air & Water show...sure that foxy laxy would have more to add to this list :D

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:08 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:Oh yes, also can't argue with the heat and humidity issues in Chicago. But there are so many fun things to do in Chicago during the summer!

Baseball games, food festivals, farmer's markets, music festivals, barbeques by Lake Michigan, running season, Navy Pier fireworks, Air & Water show...sure that foxy laxy would have more to add to this list :D
I want to do all these things.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:36 pm

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Post by kennethellenparcell » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:01 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
kennethellenparcell wrote:Oh yes, also can't argue with the heat and humidity issues in Chicago. But there are so many fun things to do in Chicago during the summer!

I want to do all these things.
We have so many adventures to go on when you get here! Adventure is out there!

--ImageRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:04 pm

I have all these things at home, sans humidity!

Well, except for baseball, because the MLS fuckers ruined our stadium and drove out the AAA team.

And no fireworks.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:09 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

I have all these things at home, sans humidity!

Well, except for baseball, because the MLS fuckers ruined our stadium and drove out the AAA team.

And no fireworks.
Except that our town isn't infested with dirty hippies and obnoxious hipsters.

I didn't mean it Portland. I said it out of jealousy. I'm just mad that neither the 1990s nor the 1890s are alive in Chicago. I just want to put a bird on it or pickle things. Is that too much to ask, Chicago?!

kerflux

Bronze

Post by kerflux » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:27 pm

For anyone who has visited or somehow knows the vicinity, what are some good apartment complexes close to the school & are they all around 1200 for a studio?

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:31 pm

kerflux wrote:For anyone who has visited or somehow knows the vicinity, what are some good apartment complexes close to the school & are they all around 1200 for a studio?
Define "good"

I'm a non-streeterville proponent, but that's just me. A lot of 1L's live in the Onterie and McClurg. I believe that price is standard for that neighborhood.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:39 pm

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:44 pm

kerflux wrote:For anyone who has visited or somehow knows the vicinity, what are some good apartment complexes close to the school & are they all around 1200 for a studio?
I think McClurg is ~1250 for a studio on a lower floor (the prices go up once you get to higher floors with lake views). That seems to be about the norm in the area.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:46 pm

mattviphky wrote:I'm in love with your tar.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: YAY! Margaery Tyrell is a badass and Natalie Dormer is both smokin' hot and the queen of my world (as she has been since she played Anne Boleyn on The Tudors).
kennethellenparcell wrote:We have so many adventures to go on when you get here! Adventure is out there!

--ImageRemoved--
This is adorable and I love you <3

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:46 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
kennethellenparcell wrote:We have so many adventures to go on when you get here! Adventure is out there!

[img]OMGMYCLASSMATESAREGREAT[/img]
This is adorable and I love you <3

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:51 pm

JustE wrote: :( Unfortunately not. But I'll be making several trips to Chicago next year. Maybe I can join you guys for a drink?...
I'm still mad at you for this, E. :evil:

okaynotreally but WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN. You totally deserted the NU threads. :(

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:54 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
I think McClurg is ~1250 for a studio on a lower floor (the prices go up once you get to higher floors with lake views). That seems to be about the norm in the area.
Yeah, McClurg starts at $1250. 420 East Ohio starts at $1350, and Onterie doesn't have prices listed on their website, but I think it was around $1300 iirc. Those three were the only ones on the housing tour at ASW so they are the only ones I know anything about. Also, I'm not sure if those prices are what people actually pay or just what the advertised rates are. Anyone living in any of these buildings paying less than what is advertised?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:59 pm

Kikero wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Yeah, McClurg starts at $1250. 420 East Ohio starts at $1350, and Onterie doesn't have prices listed on their website, but I think it was around $1300 iirc. Those three were the only ones on the housing tour at ASW so they are the only ones I know anything about. Also, I'm not sure if those prices are what people actually pay or just what the advertised rates are. Anyone living in any of these buildings paying less than what is advertised?
One of the current students I met who lives in McClurg quoted 1250 too (for like the 3rd floor), I don't think it goes any lower than that. :(

I'm thinking of visiting again for like 2-3 days just to apartment hunt. Do y'all think I should go in early June or in late July, if I want to move in by August 10th?

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:00 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
JustE wrote: :( Unfortunately not. But I'll be making several trips to Chicago next year. Maybe I can join you guys for a drink?...
I'm still mad at you for this, E. :evil:

okaynotreally but WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN. You totally deserted the NU threads. :(
:(

I did... I'm sorry. :oops: It just hurts to know I won't be a part of all the cool things you guys are planning. I LIKE BACON TOO!!!

Can we still hang out a bit when I visit, Crumps?

ETA: Thank you Splitter Friends for helping me make it through the LSAT. I don't know what I would have done (or scored) without you. :|

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”