Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
tdicks

Bronze

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Post by tdicks » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:16 pm

I hope everyone has a great time at ASW! Take lots of pictures and post a full report for those of us who can't make it! Hope to hear lots of stories of people throwing down some deposits :)

nini11

New

Post by nini11 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:40 pm

tdicks wrote:I hope everyone has a great time at ASW! Take lots of pictures and post a full report for those of us who can't make it! Hope to hear lots of stories of people throwing down some deposits :)
I will post some pics for you :)

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:24 pm

jealous of this thread. Last year I got into SIU, but retook so I could get into UIUC. Now I'm in at UIUC, but I want to go to Northwestern...sigh. Fuck admissions bullshit.

foxylaxy

Bronze

Post by foxylaxy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:57 pm

Corsair wrote:
basilseal wrote:
Can someone explain how NU's UPass thing works with the CTA and all that jazz?
When you approach the turnstile in the CTA station, you'll notice that it has a slot in the top. Stick the UPass in the slot with your photo facing away from you, and the end with the hole in it down. The UPass will be drawn into the machine, it'll make some noises, then spit it back out. Remove the UPass from the slot, and proceed through the turnstile.

The only catch is that it only works during the school year, so you'll need to pay for your own pass during the summer.
Not from NU, but I did go to school in Chicago, yes the UPass usually only works during the school year. There will be dates on the pass showing you when you can use it. You take a picture as a freshman and then before classes start (or the first week) you can pick them up. You don't pay extra exactly for them, but you DO pay for them-they are included in your fees.

If you lose it, I think you can possibly call cta to get a replacement, but you might be shit out of luck. Usually when I lost it as an undergrad I took one of my friends' passes. Lots of them had cars on campus and didn't use their Upasses. So, make friends with people who don't need them! No one really checks the photos-I've used a boy's upass before and I'm a female.

OTHER transportation:
You can also use their intercampus shuttle-if you plan on living northside. The route goes from evanston to the downtown campus, with stops through evanston and down to Loyola (Roger's Park). Then it runs express to downtown. You'll prob need your school ID.
http://www.northwestern.edu/uservices/t ... ampus.html

foxylaxy

Bronze

Post by foxylaxy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:01 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:Just got the financial aid spreadsheet. Wow, I can't believe that public transportation for a little less than a year is going to be $1600!

Also, through some rough calculations, figured out that I will probably be about 120K in debt upon graduation...
Nah, the CTA pass costs them like $180 or something relatively negligible. I think the transpo budget allowance is assuming you'll need to buy some plane tickets and taxi rides during the year.
Still, that's pretty steep. At about $350/round trip from Chicago to California, I would have to take like 3 or 4 trips home during the 2012-2013 academic year to spend that much
If you live in Cali, I'd take Virgin. Not always the cheapest flight, but often I can fly to LA or SF for $90-$120 each way. Last year, I bought a flight for myself to LA then SF and back and for my bf to SF and back for under $600 (5 separate flights). Also, there were two groupon/living social deals for virgin this year already, say $50 for $200 roundtrip or $39 for $100 roundtrip. You can also rent out a chromebook to take on the flight, drop off when you land and use the wifi for free.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

foxylaxy

Bronze

Post by foxylaxy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:14 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Dato wrote:Well that is frustrating. I applied last year and got 90k. The only reason I withdrew was because there was political strife in the country I was working in and I needed to extend my term. I came back and I even took the time to do an alumni interview... Something I couldn't do last year. The alumni interview went beautifully, I have no doubt. I even booked a flight to Chicago for next week and now there is no way I am going to Northwestern. This was one of my top choices!
:( I'm sorry!! It seems like they put much more focus on need-based aid this year.
cactuarX3 wrote:Has anyone else tried negotiating? I tried but the financial aid office was pretty adamant about not changing anything.
Honestly, I would have tried but I don't really have any other compelling offers. UIUC offered me even less than NU did, WUSTL only gave me 60K, and UMN gave me 84K but I didn't think they were particularly compelling for NU.
I think they just have a policy of not negotiating (for some reason). I told them I got more money from Duke but they didn't give a shit, probably because they know Chicago >>>> Durham
I emailed them my offer from Michigan last Thursday (two days after I received my package of $0). FWIW, I received $45k (total for 3 years) from Michigan, 171, 3.52. There is a process to doing this, as outlined on the site
https://www.law.northwestern.edu/newstu ... aid/jd/#q4

I haven't heard from them yet-other than the acknowledgement that they received the e-mail.
The e-mail stated that any requests for reconsideration were to be submitted YESTERDAY 4/11 and were to be e-mailed only.
Scholarship deadlines are due 4/16 (for current scholarship holders).

I'm pretty bummed about no moneys :cry: -I think I'm gonna blame the fact that I submitted 2 days before it was due because I was having a hard time submitting my taxes from all the student loan stuff. My parents aren't contributing to my education-and my household income (even including my parents) is LESS than the yearly expense of attending NU, so yeah I'm pretty needy.

And in the event NU doesn't cough up more :( I will officially become a wolverine.
BUT! I am going to ASW, so my mind isn't made up yet :)

foxylaxy

Bronze

Post by foxylaxy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:18 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:I'm doing some stuff at ASW, hit me up if you want to meet up at all. Hope you guys enjoy your visit!
We should hang out! :mrgreen:

Also a bunch of us are going out and barhopping that Friday night, if you want to come with or have any suggestions for where we should go
And I'm totes up for taking some of you out! I like Estate-good drinks, good food (lobster mac & cheese), rooftop bar. No cover. No hats-but otherwise no real dress code, as I've worn sneakers there before. Not douchey (jerk bouncers), frat like (too many fights), nor clubby. Dunno if the rooftop is open yet, but I'm down to drive a few :D

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:20 pm

Question about accepting our financial aid offers - How are we supposed to send them in? The form says 'email to x@x.com' but there's a line for a signature and I don't know if a typed 'e-sig' qualifies, or if we're supposed to print it, sign, and turn it in or scan/email it. I've been procrastinating on it because I don't want to email in something that they won't accept, but I haven't had access to a printer since I heard about my scholarship. For those of you who have already accepted, how did you do it?
foxylaxy wrote:And I'm totes up for taking some of you out! I like Estate-good drinks, good food (lobster mac & cheese), rooftop bar. No cover. No hats-but otherwise no real dress code, as I've worn sneakers there before. Not douchey (jerk bouncers), frat like (too many fights), nor clubby. Dunno if the rooftop is open yet, but I'm down to drive a few :D
wtf lobster mac and cheese...? You are my hero. Maybe on Saturday night? I think we were thinking Boystown for tomorrow night! Plans are definitely flexible though, so IDK anything for sure.

tjddk

Bronze

Post by tjddk » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:34 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Question about accepting our financial aid offers - How are we supposed to send them in? The form says 'email to x@x.com' but there's a line for a signature and I don't know if a typed 'e-sig' qualifies, or if we're supposed to print it, sign, and turn it in or scan/email it. I've been procrastinating on it because I don't want to email in something that they won't accept, but I haven't had access to a printer since I heard about my scholarship. For those of you who have already accepted, how did you do it?
foxylaxy wrote:And I'm totes up for taking some of you out! I like Estate-good drinks, good food (lobster mac & cheese), rooftop bar. No cover. No hats-but otherwise no real dress code, as I've worn sneakers there before. Not douchey (jerk bouncers), frat like (too many fights), nor clubby. Dunno if the rooftop is open yet, but I'm down to drive a few :D
wtf lobster mac and cheese...? You are my hero. Maybe on Saturday night? I think we were thinking Boystown for tomorrow night! Plans are definitely flexible though, so IDK anything for sure.
I was going to print, sign, scan, and then email. Then again, I have easy access to a scanner, so wasn't really a problem.

I've also created a really rough 'signature' on MS Paint or some similar program and copy/pasted the signature (as an image) onto a PDF or Word document. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:35 pm

tjddk wrote:I was going to print, sign, scan, and then email. Then again, I have easy access to a scanner, so wasn't really a problem.

I've also created a really rough 'signature' on MS Paint or some similar program and copy/pasted the signature (as an image) onto a PDF or Word document. :D
Hmmm. Yeah I've been couch-crashing in Chicago for 2 weeks and no one I've stayed with has a printer. Maybe I'll see if I can get the hotel I'm at right now to print it off for me. The last thing I want is to accidentally decline the scholarship. :lol: :lol:

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:08 pm

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Post by kennethellenparcell » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:11 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
tjddk wrote:I was going to print, sign, scan, and then email. Then again, I have easy access to a scanner, so wasn't really a problem.

Hmmm. Yeah I've been couch-crashing in Chicago for 2 weeks and no one I've stayed with has a printer. Maybe I'll see if I can get the hotel I'm at right now to print it off for me. The last thing I want is to accidentally decline the scholarship. :lol: :lol:
I can scan it into a pdf for you (like right now) if you need crumps. If that helps at all.

cmob

New

Post by cmob » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:08 pm

nini11 wrote:Oh... i hope you feel better before tomorrow!, take medication!
Anyone going to the housing tour tomorrow morning? if yes let me know, I'm going :)
I'm going, see you at 8:30!

Also - is anyone going to the diversity luncheon at Water Tower? I spoke with Audra Wilson and she encouraged/RSVPed me to come, even though I'm only part minority and don't quite look the part. Regardless, it's at a good restaurant.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:42 pm

Did we ever figure out a plan for meeting up at ASW tomorrow? I'll be showing up around 9:45, probably. Imaginary prize to the first person who picks me out. Hint: tallish female, brown hair worn up, probably dressed like I'm about to go hiking or go play golf, and probably playing with a phone with a purple case. :P

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:06 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Did we ever figure out a plan for meeting up at ASW tomorrow? I'll be showing up around 9:45, probably. Imaginary prize to the first person who picks me out. Hint: tallish female, brown hair worn up, probably dressed like I'm about to go hiking or go play golf, and probably playing with a phone with a purple case. :P
yeah, i don't think there was a plan to identify people. but wasn't the plan to meet up after the wigmore follies and go bar hopping? maybe we should set a meeting place for all the TLSers to meet following the show?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:34 am

cactuarX3 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Did we ever figure out a plan for meeting up at ASW tomorrow? I'll be showing up around 9:45, probably. Imaginary prize to the first person who picks me out. Hint: tallish female, brown hair worn up, probably dressed like I'm about to go hiking or go play golf, and probably playing with a phone with a purple case. :P
yeah, i don't think there was a plan to identify people. but wasn't the plan to meet up after the wigmore follies and go bar hopping? maybe we should set a meeting place for all the TLSers to meet following the show?
I don't wanna go all day wondering who's who!

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:43 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:
I don't wanna go all day wondering who's who!
that would be terrible! i think we'll have name tags though so I think we'll at least be able to identify each other on a one-on-one basis

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nini11

New

Post by nini11 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:14 am

Hm ok then, I just landed in chicago, see you guys in a couple of hours :)

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:42 pm

nini11

New

Post by nini11 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:17 pm

Corsair wrote:TLSers who want to out themselves to other TLSers should just agree to meet somewhere after Wigmore.
Can we just meet at wigmore?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:17 pm

Corsair wrote:TLSers who want to out themselves to other TLSers should just agree to meet somewhere after Wigmore.
This sounds kinky.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:44 pm

Sitting in Lincoln Hall, wondering which of these purple I already "know" on the interwebs.

ETA: think I spotted Crumps. 8) /creeping

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:02 pm

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:06 pm

Corsair wrote:
nini11 wrote:
Can we just meet at wigmore?
You could, but Thorne lobby gets crowded as heck. Presumably you could find each other in the atrium ahead of time if you planned a spot to meet. (I'm also assuming you don't plan on outing yourself to non-thread regulars)
Trying to think of an easy landmark in the atrium...how about near the door to the admissions office?

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:25 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”