Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
franklyscarlet

Gold

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:25 am

dolfan0516 wrote:
tjddk wrote:Anybody ask the financial aid/admissions office for an extension of the April 16 deadline?
...what April 16 deadline? Tuition deposit deadline is April 30.
scholarship deadline is april 16th.

dolfan0516

Bronze

Post by dolfan0516 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:32 am

franklyscarlet wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote:
tjddk wrote:Anybody ask the financial aid/admissions office for an extension of the April 16 deadline?
Oh ok. Guess thats why I wouldn't know of it lol

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:30 am

dolfan0516 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote:
Oh ok. Guess thats why I wouldn't know of it lol
I thought the deposit deadline was April 16th too, but I stumbled across the website and it says April 30.

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:52 pm

Just got the financial aid spreadsheet. Wow, I can't believe that public transportation for a little less than a year is going to be $1600!

Also, through some rough calculations, figured out that I will probably be about 120K in debt upon graduation...

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:54 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:Just got the financial aid spreadsheet. Wow, I can't believe that public transportation for a little less than a year is going to be $1600!

Also, through some rough calculations, figured out that I will probably be about 120K in debt upon graduation...
Nah, the CTA pass costs them like $180 or something relatively negligible. I think the transpo budget allowance is assuming you'll need to buy some plane tickets and taxi rides during the year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:00 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:Just got the financial aid spreadsheet. Wow, I can't believe that public transportation for a little less than a year is going to be $1600!

Can someone explain how NU's UPass thing works with the CTA and all that jazz?

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:00 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

Nah, the CTA pass costs them like $180 or something relatively negligible. I think the transpo budget allowance is assuming you'll need to buy some plane tickets and taxi rides during the year.
Still, that's pretty steep. At about $350/round trip from Chicago to California, I would have to take like 3 or 4 trips home during the 2012-2013 academic year to spend that much

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:05 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Still, that's pretty steep. At about $350/round trip from Chicago to California, I would have to take like 3 or 4 trips home during the 2012-2013 academic year to spend that much
Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring break?
And it's worse for those of us not flying out of a hub city. I haven't seen a ticket from Portland to Chicago for less than $390, and that was a stupid time of day.

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:08 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring break?
And it's worse for those of us not flying out of a hub city. I haven't seen a ticket from Portland to Chicago for less than $390, and that was a stupid time of day.
oh yeah, spring break, totally forgot about that there is such a thing

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

citygirl000

Bronze

Post by citygirl000 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:19 pm

tjddk wrote:Anybody ask the financial aid/admissions office for an extension of the April 16 deadline? I wasn't planning on visiting schools until the second half of April for work-related reasons... I feel like I can make it work with my boss if I get a few more days from Northwestern.

Also, I just looked at a map. Has Chicago always been that far from California? Somebody please tell me this is going to be okay?
I did - they extended it to the following Friday, Apr 20th. I just emailed - GL

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:49 pm

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:50 pm

basilseal wrote:

What questions do you have? If it's like the other schools' UPass, you just stick it in the turnstile like a normal pass. It gets you on all the CTA trains and buses, but not the Metra lines.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:51 pm

Corsair wrote:
basilseal wrote:
When you approach the turnstile in the CTA station, you'll notice that it has a slot in the top. Stick the UPass in the slot with your photo facing away from you, and the end with the hole in it down. The UPass will be drawn into the machine, it'll make some noises, then spit it back out. Remove the UPass from the slot, and proceed through the turnstile.

The only catch is that it only works during the school year, so you'll need to pay for your own pass during the summer.
Really? That blows. I guess that's why you have to renew it each semester.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:36 pm

Samara wrote:
Corsair wrote:
basilseal wrote:
When you approach the turnstile in the CTA station, you'll notice that it has a slot in the top. Stick the UPass in the slot with your photo facing away from you, and the end with the hole in it down. The UPass will be drawn into the machine, it'll make some noises, then spit it back out. Remove the UPass from the slot, and proceed through the turnstile.

The only catch is that it only works during the school year, so you'll need to pay for your own pass during the summer.
Yeah they give it to you during orientation and it has a definite end date (12/26). You then have to pick up another one at the beginning of second semester and it ends 5/25 (so you might have to pay for the CTA if your flight back from break is after the 1st semester pass dies). Maybe they give one to people who take out loans during the summer because they are enrolled in summer classes? But I honestly doubt it.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:37 pm

bk187 wrote:Yeah they give it to you during orientation and it has a definite end date (12/26). You then have to pick up another one at the beginning of second semester and it ends 5/25 (so you might have to pay for the CTA if your flight back from break is after the 1st semester pass dies). Maybe they give one to people who take out loans during the summer because they are enrolled in summer classes? But I honestly doubt it.
Well, I won't be leaving the city over the breaks, so I guess I'll have to suck it up and buy a monthly pass. *grumble*

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:42 pm

What if you lose your pass? Do you have to buy the new one yourself or is there a way to get a replacement card?

Ilosethingsalot... :oops:

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:45 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:45 pm

bk187 wrote:
Samara wrote:
Corsair wrote:
basilseal wrote:

Yeah they give it to you during orientation and it has a definite end date (12/26). You then have to pick up another one at the beginning of second semester and it ends 5/25 (so you might have to pay for the CTA if your flight back from break is after the 1st semester pass dies). Maybe they give one to people who take out loans during the summer because they are enrolled in summer classes? But I honestly doubt it.
Should have been clearer- this is what I meant. So we are given them- we don't have to pay?

Luckily I'm from Chicago so I won't need to travel at the breaks anyway.

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:49 pm

nini11 wrote:I'm in the process of buying plane tickets....is it feasible to drive from NY to chicago?
I did it. Had quite a bit to move as it was myself and the manfriend but it really wasn't awful. Expensive, yes but not undoable.

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:54 pm

Also, I haven't received anything from NU in quite a while. Any EDers the same? Should I have received any type of financial aid information (loans, not scholarship)?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:56 pm

basilseal wrote:Should have been clearer- this is what I meant. So we are given them- we don't have to pay?

They are technically part of your tuition, but no you don't have to pay for them directly. At orientation you go to a booth, they take your picture, and print it out for you right there. The ones second semester are picked up at one of the offices in the law school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:11 am

bk187 wrote:
basilseal wrote:Should have been clearer- this is what I meant. So we are given them- we don't have to pay?

They are technically part of your tuition, but no you don't have to pay for them directly. At orientation you go to a booth, they take your picture, and print it out for you right there. The ones second semester are picked up at one of the offices in the law school.
Thanks, bk.

tdicks

Bronze

Post by tdicks » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:57 am

elibrarian wrote:Also, I haven't received anything from NU in quite a while. Any EDers the same? Should I have received any type of financial aid information (loans, not scholarship)?
I haven't gotten anything either, except reminders about ASW.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:28 pm

Just got my estimated loan package from NU... $20,500 for Stafford Loans and $43,870 GradPlus per year. ): Taking out loans is scary...

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:49 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Just got my estimated loan package from NU... $20,500 for Stafford Loans and $43,870 GradPlus per year. ): Taking out loans is scary...
yeah, especially when you consider that the interest compounds on top of the interest if you don't pay it back while in school; to be honest, we'd probably get a better deal borrowing from the mob...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”