Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Flips88

Diamond

Re: Northwestern c/o 2015 - leading the T14 in bacon consumption

Post by Flips88 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:51 pm

NorthwesternorBust wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
NorthwesternorBust wrote:So your class schedule is entirely mapped out for you, huh?
Only for first semester. Second semester you'll have 3 more classes with your section, but you also get to choose 2 electives.
What is it usually like first semester, if you don't mind me asking?
First semester every section had Legal writing, Torts, Civil Procedure, Contracts and then either Property or Criminal Law.

My schedule was:
MTW:
Contracts: 8:45-9:40
Torts: 10:55-11:50
Civil Procedure: 2:35-3:30

Thurs.:
Legal writing: 8:45-10:15
Property: 10:25-11:50

Friday:
Property: 10:25-11:50
Legal Writing: 12:00-1:30

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:53 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
NorthwesternorBust wrote:So your class schedule is entirely mapped out for you, huh?
Only for first semester. Second semester you'll have 3 more classes with your section, but you also get to choose 2 electives.
would also be interested in this (I'm assuming you mean it in the sense of "what does a typical schedule look like.")

Another somewhat related question-- I have to buy tickets to fly overseas and see family over Christmas and it occurred to me I need to see the exam schedule first. Anyone know when we'll get that? (even a general schedule- I'll probably just go at the end of the whole exam period).
The only things that vary are the time of your CLR classes and whether you take property or criminal law in the fall.

https://www.law.northwestern.edu/newstu ... edule.html

ETA: Fall exams for 1Ls are always Monday, Thursday for the first 2 weeks of exam period.
Last edited by bdubs on Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:54 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
First semester, everyone will have:
Monday - Wednesday: 8:45-9:40, 10:25-11:20, 1:30-2:25 (these will be Torts, Civ Pro and Contracts)
Thursday - Friday: 10:25 - 11:50 (Crim or Property)

You will also have CLR, but that tends to vary by section. My section had it Thursday 8:45-10:15 and Friday 12:00-1:30.

NorthwesternorBust

Silver

Post by NorthwesternorBust » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:59 pm

The health form we need to fill out, does it need to be signed by your doctor? A little confused on that but I think it does.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:00 pm

NorthwesternorBust wrote:The health form we need to fill out, does it need to be signed by your doctor? A little confused on that but I think it does.

looks like it. I needed a shot anyway so I just got it signed and filled out while I was there.

Also, thanks for the schedules guys!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NorthwesternorBust

Silver

Post by NorthwesternorBust » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:10 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
NorthwesternorBust wrote:The health form we need to fill out, does it need to be signed by your doctor? A little confused on that but I think it does.

looks like it. I needed a shot anyway so I just got it signed and filled out while I was there.

Also, thanks for the schedules guys!
Thanks for the info. I'm good on shots luckily.

And yes, the schedules were a big help towards possibly planning. Thanks!

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:14 pm

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:48 am

Flips88 wrote:Dear soon to be 1Ls,

Whenever you guys get your schedule in a couple months, hit me up for buying books. I'll sell them to you for cheap since they are not helping me sitting on my bookshelf. Just for reference I had:

Shapo
Nzelibe
Pfander
Glazer (she is a visiting prof but should be back in Spring so some of you will probably have her for Property 2nd semester)
Koppelman
Kleinfeld

I can also give you my outlines for the classes and any study materials I used.
+1 to this as well for anyone who can't get them from Flips.

Also, Chemerinsky : Con :: Glannon E&E : Civ Pro. It will save your life in that class.

NorthwesternorBust

Silver

Post by NorthwesternorBust » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:52 pm

Has anyone who was a wait-list admit not received the email giving financial aid instructions?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:01 pm

NorthwesternorBust wrote:Has anyone who was a wait-list admit not received the email giving financial aid instructions?
I have not.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:06 pm

Getting kind of panicky about finding an apartment. :( Realtors take 2 days to call me back (by which time the condos I was interested in have long since been rented), apartment buildings are full, and the few that aren't full are trying to charge me $1300 to live in something the size of a large bathroom.

I've been contacting people practically weekly since early May, and I kept getting told "plenty of units will be available in mid-June!" Apparently there must have been a five minute window last week when everything was available, and I missed it.

Lake Shore Plaza apparently did not have a SINGLE studio come available for July/Aug. wtf

NorthwesternorBust

Silver

Post by NorthwesternorBust » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:10 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Getting kind of panicky about finding an apartment. :( Realtors take 2 days to call me back (by which time the condos I was interested in have long since been rented), apartment buildings are full, and the few that aren't full are trying to charge me $1300 to live in something the size of a large bathroom.

I've been contacting people practically weekly since early May, and I kept getting told "plenty of units will be available in mid-June!" Apparently there must have been a five minute window last week when everything was available, and I missed it.

Lake Shore Plaza apparently did not have a SINGLE studio come available for July/Aug. wtf
I actually had a really great experience with a real estate agent. If you PM me, I'll give you his name. The guy walked me around for 2 days straight, 4 hours each day.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:12 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Getting kind of panicky about finding an apartment. :( Realtors take 2 days to call me back (by which time the condos I was interested in have long since been rented), apartment buildings are full, and the few that aren't full are trying to charge me $1300 to live in something the size of a large bathroom.

I actually had a really great experience with a real estate agent. If you PM me, I'll give you his name. The guy walked me around for 2 days straight, 4 hours each day.
I'll definitely take his name and give him a call (I'll PM you in a sec), but my issues are compounded by the fact that I have to do this remotely from Oregon. :|

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:34 pm

Who the fuck decides to rent out their Streeterville condo with only a MINIFRIDGE in it?

McClurg people, which floor plans did you get? Anyone have the 496sf one and fit furniture in it yet?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:18 pm

Welp, I snapped up the one studio unit available in McClurg. 496 square feet is going to suck, but I was getting tired of searching, and starting to panic!

Happy to have that overwith. (Assuming they don't accidentally give my unit away to someone else or some other disaster.)

31st floor in tower A. Where's everyone else?

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:45 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Welp, I snapped up the one studio unit available in McClurg. 496 square feet is going to suck, but I was getting tired of searching, and starting to panic!

Happy to have that overwith. (Assuming they don't accidentally give my unit away to someone else or some other disaster.)

31st floor in tower A. Where's everyone else?
Would you mind PMing me what it cost? Is your lease for July or August?

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Post by kennethellenparcell » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:57 pm

Eugenie, you are the greatest. Thanks for posting this!
Eugenie Danglars wrote:Ok, so here's a few tips and tricks as promised. These are all me-specific, and they don't cover most of the stuff you need to know. Read the excellent, more comprehensive stickied guides for that. These are just the top few things I wished I had known- small things that would have made my life easier.

-"concur" vs. "concur in the judgment" Read this article. Main point: those two terms are really, really different, and it matters a lot in several civ pro and conlaw major cases. It was one of those things that all the professors assumed someone else had mentioned, and then I didn't figure it out until March and my conlaw prof was horrified when none of us knew it.

-Chemerinsky- Read the damn thing. Just do. Not all of it, and not cover to cover, but read the section for the cases you're assigned that day. Con law is tricky because you're trying to read and process the opinion, figure out what it has to do with the historical progression of things, and also figure out where it fits in your professor's unique take on conlaw. Chemerinsky spells out the first two for you, leaving your full in-class attention free to pay attention to your professor's quirks. Obviously, sometimes Chemerinksy will disagree with your prof, and then the prof is always right, but having more information will help you flesh out your general understanding of a very complicated subject.

-Not reading and paying attention in class- So it's not always possible to do every reading fully before every class. You should, but sometimes it doesn't happen. The wrong approach is : "Crap, I didn't finish the reading; it's ok, I'll pick it up in class." This is seductive because when you do read, a lot of class feels like it's just repeating the reading. However, if you haven't done the reading, everything will be new and hard to follow. If you go in thinking it will be easy to pick up on what's happening, you'll probably miss a lot. Try to at least read a wikipedia or other fact-heavy summary when you can't finish the reading. If you have no idea at all what's going on, your attention will probably wander.

-"equitable"- Most of you probably know this, but I didn't. "equitable" in the legal word does not always mean fair, but sometimes it does. Most of the time it refers to the historical split in courts between law and equity, with "equitable relief" meaning injunctions or non-money solutions from the court. It generally does NOT mean "fair relief." You don't need to know about the difference between law and equity until you go over it in class, but at least when you read "Smith sought equitable relief," you won't think "Well, no shit, he wanted it to be fair."

-Outlining- every one has their own thing. Do what you want. That said, if you make something that has cases/rules/etc. in it, make sure to put in the holding- which way the case came out. In my first couple outlines, I accidentally just put in a few facts and the rules but didn't put who won. You should definitely do that.

Once you all know your profs, I'll post some info about the ones I've had, but I won't do it know since I don't want to waste time putting up info about folks you don't have. Oh, and one more- CLR sucks but it's ultimately useful. It's usefulness is directly related to how much you put into it- it has little to do with your professor.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

glinda

New

Post by glinda » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:10 am

Is anyone else having trouble logging into CAESAR?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:54 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Ok, so here's a few tips and tricks as promised. These are all me-specific, and they don't cover most of the stuff you need to know. Read the excellent, more comprehensive stickied guides for that. These are just the top few things I wished I had known- small things that would have made my life easier.

-"concur" vs. "concur in the judgment" Read this article. Main point: those two terms are really, really different, and it matters a lot in several civ pro and conlaw major cases. It was one of those things that all the professors assumed someone else had mentioned, and then I didn't figure it out until March and my conlaw prof was horrified when none of us knew it.

-Chemerinsky- Read the damn thing. Just do. Not all of it, and not cover to cover, but read the section for the cases you're assigned that day. Con law is tricky because you're trying to read and process the opinion, figure out what it has to do with the historical progression of things, and also figure out where it fits in your professor's unique take on conlaw. Chemerinsky spells out the first two for you, leaving your full in-class attention free to pay attention to your professor's quirks. Obviously, sometimes Chemerinksy will disagree with your prof, and then the prof is always right, but having more information will help you flesh out your general understanding of a very complicated subject.

-Not reading and paying attention in class- So it's not always possible to do every reading fully before every class. You should, but sometimes it doesn't happen. The wrong approach is : "Crap, I didn't finish the reading; it's ok, I'll pick it up in class." This is seductive because when you do read, a lot of class feels like it's just repeating the reading. However, if you haven't done the reading, everything will be new and hard to follow. If you go in thinking it will be easy to pick up on what's happening, you'll probably miss a lot. Try to at least read a wikipedia or other fact-heavy summary when you can't finish the reading. If you have no idea at all what's going on, your attention will probably wander.

-"equitable"- Most of you probably know this, but I didn't. "equitable" in the legal word does not always mean fair, but sometimes it does. Most of the time it refers to the historical split in courts between law and equity, with "equitable relief" meaning injunctions or non-money solutions from the court. It generally does NOT mean "fair relief." You don't need to know about the difference between law and equity until you go over it in class, but at least when you read "Smith sought equitable relief," you won't think "Well, no shit, he wanted it to be fair."

-Outlining- every one has their own thing. Do what you want. That said, if you make something that has cases/rules/etc. in it, make sure to put in the holding- which way the case came out. In my first couple outlines, I accidentally just put in a few facts and the rules but didn't put who won. You should definitely do that.

Once you all know your profs, I'll post some info about the ones I've had, but I won't do it know since I don't want to waste time putting up info about folks you don't have. Oh, and one more- CLR sucks but it's ultimately useful. It's usefulness is directly related to how much you put into it- it has little to do with your professor.
This is obviously written in some bizarre foreign language, but I will definitely read again when I have learned how to speak it. :wink:
Thanks, Eugenie! Good tips.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:11 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

This is obviously written in some bizarre foreign language, but I will definitely read again when I have learned how to speak it. :wink:
Thanks, Eugenie! Good tips.
I am not going to NU but also find this helpful.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:33 pm

Odd request for anyone who toured McClurg or who has already moved in: I haven't seen so much as a photo of a studio. Does anyone have any pictures of what the units look like? I got the dinky 496 square foot one (doesn't have the curved wall). What are the kitchens and bathrooms like? I'm trying to figure out what I need to take/buy without ever having seen one!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:45 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Odd request for anyone who toured McClurg or who has already moved in: I haven't seen so much as a photo of a studio. Does anyone have any pictures of what the units look like? I got the dinky 496 square foot one (doesn't have the curved wall). What are the kitchens and bathrooms like? I'm trying to figure out what I need to take/buy without ever having seen one!

I'm in the curved wall one :-/

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:52 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Odd request for anyone who toured McClurg or who has already moved in: I haven't seen so much as a photo of a studio. Does anyone have any pictures of what the units look like? I got the dinky 496 square foot one (doesn't have the curved wall). What are the kitchens and bathrooms like? I'm trying to figure out what I need to take/buy without ever having seen one!

Well our kitchens should be similar, at least. Feel like taking a pic or two for poor little me? :wink:

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:12 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

Well our kitchens should be similar, at least. Feel like taking a pic or two for poor little me? :wink:
sure! I'll send you some after I move in. Even though mine is slightly bigger, it should give you a general idea of what you can fit.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:53 pm

bye guys, I'm not gonna be at NU next year

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”