Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
JustE

Silver

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015

Post by JustE » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:29 am

tdicks wrote:
ncterp wrote:Checking in. Also not able to make ASW so I am going to try to visit the school in the Spring, sit in on a class, check out the usual suspect areas where students live, etc. The excitement of getting the acceptance has in no way worn off yet!
I KNOW! i basically spend all of my free time in my room alternately reading old NU threads on here and freaking out about finding an apartment close to campus for less then 3 million dollars a day. i wouldn't mind taking out a little bit extra in loans for COL, but i'm under the impression that's not how it works...

regardless, i am SO EXCITED! i've even been practicing going outside for short periods of time without my coat to try to build up my tolerance for the arctic weather haha
:lol: :lol: :lol: Don't get sick.

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:37 pm

We need more action in this thread.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:46 pm

elibrarian wrote:We need more action in this thread.
If they let me in, I'll be sure to make that happen...

tdicks

Bronze

Post by tdicks » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:17 am

yeah, we need more people in this thread so we have something to talk about!

although personally, i have a trip to cambodia and laos to plan and i still spend 95% of my time on the internet looking at apartments near campus. so if anyone wants to talk housing this early, i'm game :)

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:20 am

tdicks wrote:yeah, we need more people in this thread so we have something to talk about!

although personally, i have a trip to cambodia and laos to plan and i still spend 95% of my time on the internet looking at apartments near campus. so if anyone wants to talk housing this early, i'm game :)
Haha ditto, but replace cambodia with italy.

I'm not sure where I want to be, streeterville area or maybe lincoln park. The idea of commuting doesn't bother me so much as that has been my life for the past six years (brooklyn --> manhattan).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tdicks

Bronze

Post by tdicks » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:04 am

yeah, commuting itself doesn't really bother me, buuuuuuttttt i'm absolutely terrified of the cold weather. i'm not sure how a commute + arctic climate would work out for me.

i was talking to a friend from chicago the other day and she said "it's really not THAT cold. you just need an ankle length down jacket and snow boots." i started laughing until i realized she was serious about an ankle length jacket. i don't think i've ever even seen one of those for sale, much less someone actually wearing one. then my other friend was saying something about your eye juice and nose hair freezing? i never figured out if she was being serious or not...

for reference: it is 50 degrees here right now and i'm freezing in uggs, socks, leggings, jeans, long sleeved shirt, cashmere sweater, scarf, and thin north face fleece. so yeah, i'm leaning towards streetersville.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:07 am

tdicks wrote:yeah, commuting itself doesn't really bother me, buuuuuuttttt i'm absolutely terrified of the cold weather. i'm not sure how a commute + arctic climate would work out for me.

i was talking to a friend from chicago the other day and she said "it's really not THAT cold. you just need an ankle length down jacket and snow boots." i started laughing until i realized she was serious about an ankle length jacket. i don't think i've ever even seen one of those for sale, much less someone actually wearing one. then my other friend was saying something about your eye juice and nose hair freezing? i never figured out if she was being serious or not...

for reference: it is 50 degrees here right now and i'm freezing in uggs, socks, leggings, jeans, long sleeved shirt, cashmere sweater, scarf, and thin north face fleece. so yeah, i'm leaning towards streetersville.
50 is freezing?... :lol: you might be in trouble...

R1chardParker

New

Post by R1chardParker » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:10 am

I would like to live within walking distance or, at least, a quick commute to campus. I'm going to be looking for 1 bedrooms with a den/office or a 2 bedroom. Unfortunately, these seem to be very pricey in Streeterville and other areas immediately around the law school. Not too familar with Chicago (yet), but padmapper is getting me up to speed.

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:13 am

tdicks wrote:yeah, commuting itself doesn't really bother me, buuuuuuttttt i'm absolutely terrified of the cold weather. i'm not sure how a commute + arctic climate would work out for me.

Haha, I don't know I never had an ankle length jacket and didn't think it was necessary. Maybe my blood has thinned not being in Chicago for the past several winters though.

I will say I've had my hair freeze on several occassions but that happens pretty much anywhere where it gets to be freezing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:14 am

ncterp wrote:I would like to live within walking distance or, at least, a quick commute to campus. I'm going to be looking for 1 bedrooms with a den/office or a 2 bedroom. Unfortunately, these seem to be very pricey in Streeterville and other areas immediately around the law school. Not too familar with Chicago (yet), but padmapper is getting me up to speed.
Ditto.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:08 pm

I'm leaning toward Streeterville as well, because a public transit commute longer than 5 minutes will kill my soul a little bit every day, but I'm not willing to pay the $1800 a 2-bedroom would cost on top of the mortgage I'll be paying at home. Studio or convertible for me, plz! I've got a shopping list of furniture fro Ikea all picked out and ready to order and have delivered when I get there. :P

tdicks wrote:for reference: it is 50 degrees here right now and i'm freezing in uggs, socks, leggings, jeans, long sleeved shirt, cashmere sweater, scarf, and thin north face fleece. so yeah, i'm leaning towards streetersville.
:? I...don't even know what to say to that. Do you not have a metabolism?

I don't think an ankle-length coat will be necessary, even for a warm-weather person. (Besides, they look ridiculous.) You don't really lose all that much heat via your legs. A jacket that goes past your hips is nice, to avoid a draft up your back. Warm shoes/boots, tights under jeans, and a GOOD COAT. And with jackets, you really do get what you pay for. There's an actual difference between a $90 "snowboarding jacket" you pick up at Zumiez and a $300 North Face.

tdicks

Bronze

Post by tdicks » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:28 pm

Haha right now I am definitely picturing myself as a Jamaican bobsledder and rinkrat as john candy saying "it's not the heat, it's the humidity"

Honestly though, it is the humidity. Makes it feel way colder here.

I agree about the studio though! I am going to be way too poor for even a wall between my bedroom and living room, much less a den haha

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:49 pm

Am very upset with lack of NU Law clothing options. I need to have it emblazoned upon my chest that I am an NU law student.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:51 pm

elibrarian wrote:Am very upset with lack of NU Law clothing options. I need to have it emblazoned upon my chest that I am an NU law student.
http://www.clubcolors.com/main/home.jsp ... westernlaw

tdicks

Bronze

Post by tdicks » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:58 pm

i just checked out that site and got really excited for a second because i thought "fan packs" said "fannie packs"

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:13 am

Do we have a facebook page yet?

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:14 pm

basilseal wrote:Do we have a facebook page yet?
The ASW has a link to one but it wouldn't work for me. Maybe they have revoked my acceptance? :shock:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:20 pm

elibrarian wrote:
The ASW has a link to one but it wouldn't work for me. Maybe they have revoked my acceptance? :shock:
Didn't work for me either, was wondering if the group existed elsewhere or what.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:22 pm

basilseal wrote:
elibrarian wrote:
Didn't work for me either, was wondering if the group existed elsewhere or what.
There's an admitted student site already? Guess I'd better email admissions and remind them I exist.

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:23 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
basilseal wrote:
elibrarian wrote:
There's an admitted student site already? Guess I'd better email admissions and remind them I exist.
Link in your decision letter PDF. I'm an idiot. Go call them.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:43 pm

basilseal wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:There's an admitted student site already? Guess I'd better email admissions and remind them I exist.
I just sent them a HAY GUIZ REMEMBER ME LOL email...presumably all they have to do is shift me from one list to another and I'll get all the magic passwords.

What I'm really stoked about is sending my first email from my nlaw address. 8) I can't remember exactly when those were issued. Late spring, maybe.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:49 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
basilseal wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:There's an admitted student site already? Guess I'd better email admissions and remind them I exist.
I just sent them a HAY GUIZ REMEMBER ME LOL email...presumably all they have to do is shift me from one list to another and I'll get all the magic passwords.

What I'm really stoked about is sending my first email from my nlaw address. 8) I can't remember exactly when those were issued. Late spring, maybe.
Oh, oh, oh I want one!

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:57 pm

From the new dean's blog: "I prefer NW Law to NU Law, for what it’s worth."

Me too, but I was just getting used to saying NU.

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:02 pm

basilseal wrote:From the new dean's blog: "I prefer NW Law to NU Law, for what it’s worth."

Me too, but I was just getting used to saying NU.
Agreed.

NU and NYU are too similar for my liking.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:22 pm

Any other reluctant runners out there? I hate running but I decided about 2 years ago that I hate it less than going to the gym. It helps if I have company and/or an interesting route. I just found this yesterday: --LinkRemoved--
Sounds like a fun way to drag myself out for a run and learn something about the city.

That totally sounds like a spam post, but it's not, I swear. Give me a warning if it's ban-worthy, plz.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”