Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Icculus

Silver

Re: Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

Post by Icculus » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:22 pm

elizcbeth wrote:Lakeshore Dr continues all the way to the law school, but you have to blip over something (maybe a crosswalk or pedestrian bridge) to get over to the other side of Lakeshore... honestly, I don't really know...I'm trusting Google Maps with this. haha In any case, it's flat!! So excited for that! I am also probably not very representative of a normal biker... I used to live in Portland... but 4 miles isn't too bad?

I am renting a car and hitching my bike to the back. Shipping a bike is only ~$100 though last time I checked. Also, you can ship pretty large boxes with Greyhound for cheap. I have friends who have done that with a lot of success.

Also, biking is always more fun and safer with a group. Anyone down to join me sometime?
There's an underground tunnel that goes from the beach to Chicago Ave.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:30 pm

elizcbeth wrote:Lakeshore Dr continues all the way to the law school, but you have to blip over something (maybe a crosswalk or pedestrian bridge) to get over to the other side of Lakeshore... honestly, I don't really know...I'm trusting Google Maps with this. haha In any case, it's flat!! So excited for that! I am also probably not very representative of a normal biker... I used to live in Portland... but 4 miles isn't too bad?

I am renting a car and hitching my bike to the back. Shipping a bike is only ~$100 though last time I checked. Also, you can ship pretty large boxes with Greyhound for cheap. I have friends who have done that with a lot of success.

Also, biking is always more fun and safer with a group. Anyone down to join me sometime?
There are periodic pedestrian underpasses from Lake Shore Trail to get from one side of Lake Shore Drive to the other. You don't want to be crossing the street at surface level.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:34 pm

elizcbeth wrote:\Also, biking is always more fun and safer with a group. Anyone down to join me sometime?
If I end up getting a bike, absolutely. I used to love biking on the beach and I miss it.

ETA: There is a crossing right next to the law school.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:43 pm

YES to bike rides!!!!!!!!! I miss going on 20+ mile rides back in UG. I haven't gone on a ride over 12 miles since I moved to suburbia 2 years ago :( Also, I LOVEhow flat Chicago is. I brought my bike with me to SF, but I learned real quick that the hilly streets in SF are an absolute bitch to bike on :lol:

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:40 pm

Hum. My bike is probably only worth $150 bucks... shipping it will cost $106. :|

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:49 pm

I need to find a bike shop here, because mine needs a new shifter. I should have gotten it done (cheaper) before I left home, but I ran out of time. And I've been out of the mountain biking loop for ages, so I have no idea what the latest Shimano gadgets are going for now. :?

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:59 pm

I can confirm that the lakeshore trail goes up at least 2 miles north of the law school.

:) it's a great place to run and Chicago looks incredible at twilight.

And since it's flat, I'm thinking of getting a single speed.

Mad Hatter

Silver

Post by Mad Hatter » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:01 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I need to find a bike shop here, because mine needs a new shifter. I should have gotten it done (cheaper) before I left home, but I ran out of time. And I've been out of the mountain biking loop for ages, so I have no idea what the latest Shimano gadgets are going for now. :?
Head to Kozy's Cyclery.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:16 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I need to find a bike shop here, because mine needs a new shifter. I should have gotten it done (cheaper) before I left home, but I ran out of time. And I've been out of the mountain biking loop for ages, so I have no idea what the latest Shimano gadgets are going for now. :?
Head to Kozy's Cyclery.
Thanks for the recommendation! They have a location three blocks from my place.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:40 pm

Samara wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:
Head to Kozy's Cyclery.
Thanks for the recommendation! They have a location three blocks from my place.
Ah, the location on Erie looks reasonably convenient. I'll have to check them out, once my bike gets here and I remind myself which shifter is busted. :P

Speaking of my stuff getting here, the movers are apparently a day behind and the driver lost his phone and didn't have the customers' names/numbers written down anywhere (wtf?). I finally got a hold of the driver at 9pm (they were scheduled to arrive 6-8pm) and he swears they'll be here tomorrow at 6-8pm. Which is good because it won't interfere with the first day of Law Preview, but doesn't fill me with confidence in their professionalism.

I got caught in the rainstorm last night looking for a place to buy a money order (post office closed, Dominick's money order machine broken), and ended up just withdrawing cash. Feeling rather iffy about handing it over to a mover who loses his phone. Perhaps I should take advantage of the fact that tomorrow is Monday and buy a money order with the cash.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:33 am

Blumpbeef wrote:I can confirm that the lakeshore trail goes up at least 2 miles north of the law school.

The trail goes far longer than 2 mikes, it runs beyond where I live, and that's at least 8 miles. There are plenty of great biking areas, and I would recommend getting bags for groceries, easy way to go grocery shopping without a car and then you can just order large things on peapod.

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:35 am

For all the Lakefront Trail bike-ride people - you might enjoy this: http://chicagoist.com/2012/06/29/chicag ... n_runn.php

(or marathon trainees)

chill

Bronze

Post by chill » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:41 am

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:42 am

Icculus wrote:The trail goes far longer than 2 mikes, it runs beyond where I live, and that's at least 8 miles. There are plenty of great biking areas, and I would recommend getting bags for groceries, easy way to go grocery shopping without a car and then you can just order large things on peapod.
Credited! Bike rack + milk crate + bungee cords = best shopping cart ever. Alternatively, a huge duffel bag works well too, if you don't mind shouldering the weight of your groceries. (ETA: or you can not be cheap bastard like me and pay for panniers :lol: )

Now I'm looking at fancy road bikes and touring bikes online. SOMEONE STOP ME. x_x
Georgia Avenue wrote:For all the Lakefront Trail bike-ride people - you might enjoy this: http://chicagoist.com/2012/06/29/chicag ... n_runn.php

(or marathon trainees)
TY <3 <3

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:53 am

Icculus wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:I can confirm that the lakeshore trail goes up at least 2 miles north of the law school.

The trail goes far longer than 2 mikes, it runs beyond where I live, and that's at least 8 miles. There are plenty of great biking areas, and I would recommend getting bags for groceries, easy way to go grocery shopping without a car and then you can just order large things on peapod.
Ya, in UG I would do a backpack on bicycle for 5 miles roundtrip for groceries. It was not bad at all and I could fit a week's worth of groceries in my backpack, but then again we had perfect weather year round.

Today I discovered that there's a Dominicks right off the Fullerton stop on the red line, which might be convenient for people who live close to the train. And I might be mistaken, but I could have sworn it was generally cheaper than the one in Streeterville.

kerflux

Bronze

Post by kerflux » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:09 am

I'm here!

Just arrived, grabbed my baggage and then realized that all of the restaurants etc. are past the security barriers I just passed through leaving... So basically I am sitting here until the leasing office opens at 9.

gatorspader

New

Post by gatorspader » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:04 pm

chill wrote:FYI: Acceptances to the Summer Law Prep program are rolling out.
Did you just find out around midnight? Has anyone else heard any information on it? I'm still waiting :/

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:31 pm

Anyone planning on attending the 'Diverse' student orientation? There's suppose to be free food. 8)

Also, are you guys planning to do the volunteering on the 'Day of Service'?

NorthwesternorBust

Silver

Post by NorthwesternorBust » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:40 pm

I walked through the law building yesterday. Looked abandoned, but Sunday in the summer! The area around it is incredible though, for sure.

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:12 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:17 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:23 pm

lgleye wrote:
splitsplat wrote:Anyone planning on attending the 'Diverse' student orientation? There's suppose to be free food. 8)

Accepted, but actually will not go.......spole with a 2L and found out it was basically Law Preview, which I already did in NYC.
As for the other, there'll be plenty of opportunities to volunteer our services, don't ya think?
Hmm.. do you mean the prep program that you had to apply for? This is just suppose to be a speaker -> bus tour -> free food.

You're probably right about the volunteering though. I figured it would be a chance to meet a few more classmates.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:50 pm

splitsplat wrote:Anyone planning on attending the 'Diverse' student orientation? There's suppose to be free food. 8)

I'm doing the day of service. Group volunteering is almost always fun and you're giving back to the community!

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:05 pm

Samara wrote:

I'm doing the day of service. Group volunteering is almost always fun and you're giving back to the community!
Also, there are plenty of opportunities to serve throughout the year. Every student is actually "required" to serve I think 50 hours, and if you do 20 hours 1L year you are eligible for a SPFIF grant fir the summer if you work in non-profit.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:08 pm

Samara wrote:

I don't recall getting an email about this, I would be way down for the Day of Service!

Still 50/50 on the 'Diverse' student orientation.

Also, looks like they ran out of room for the prep class, so I won't be there. For those of you who also won't be attending...day drinking? Preferably in a nice, grassy area? :mrgreen:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”