Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
kerflux

Bronze

Re: Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

Post by kerflux » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:17 pm

crumps... trying to make money right now? You haven't learned to joyfully embrace the debt yet?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:52 pm

kerflux wrote:crumps... trying to make money right now? You haven't learned to joyfully embrace the debt yet?
XD It's like $10 an hour (maybe less in Chicago)...not gonna make even a little dent in my debt. :cry: But a girl's gotta fund her alcoholism somehow, amirite?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:59 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I have arrived!

I have 2 bags of clothes, a cat, a litter box, a laptop, and an air mattress that needs batteries to inflate.

I'm also starving, but am reluctant to venture out in the heat.
Just saw this post, YAY RINKRAT IN CHI :D

BTW, rinkrat, how did your cat deal with the flight? I'm having second thoughts about bringing my cat because I just feel like he'd be so traumatized. How big is your cat and how did (s)he deal with the W Coast --> Midwest plane ride?

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:47 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:I'm having second thoughts about bringing my cat
:cry:

Oh, and I'm probably the last person here to pick up on this but, Chicago is fucking awesome.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:44 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I have arrived!

I have 2 bags of clothes, a cat, a litter box, a laptop, and an air mattress that needs batteries to inflate.

I'm also starving, but am reluctant to venture out in the heat.
Just saw this post, YAY RINKRAT IN CHI :D

BTW, rinkrat, how did your cat deal with the flight? I'm having second thoughts about bringing my cat because I just feel like he'd be so traumatized. How big is your cat and how did (s)he deal with the W Coast --> Midwest plane ride?
She did great, and she hasnt been farther than the vet in 10 years. I got the large size (like 18" long) Sherpa sport duffel carrier, and put an absorbant pee pad under the faux sheepskin bottom liner just in case, but she didnt misbehave at all. I did give her valium (half a 5mg diazepam from the vet) before leaving for the airport. She's about a 9-lb cat. She scratched at the mesh windows of the carrier a bit, but was mostly very calm and silent (not happy, but not actively freaking out.)

Check with the airline for what they require. Southwest charges $75 and you're supposed to reserve a spot for your pet by calling ahead of time. Some airlines require a vet's certificate of health (not Southwest).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:59 pm

X-posted from the questions/challenges thread:

Would any current customer like to "refer" me to Peapod? You get a $10 code for Peapod, Amazon, Fandago or iTunes, and I get $10 off my first Peapod order. PM me for my email and you can go to the Peapod site and find the refer-a-friend page (I found it as I started to go through the Checkout process.)

If I get referred, I'd then be happy to refer someone else new and start a chain of $10s. 8)

I plan on using Peapod for my big/heavy groceries, so my first order is going to be mostly things like coke 24 packs, cat litter, toilet paper, etc. I'll actually make my lazy self go to the store for more portable stuff.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:31 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:X-posted from the questions/challenges thread:

Would any current customer like to "refer" me to Peapod? You get a $10 code for Peapod, Amazon, Fandago or iTunes, and I get $10 off my first Peapod order. PM me for my email and you can go to the Peapod site and find the refer-a-friend page (I found it as I started to go through the Checkout process.)

If I get referred, I'd then be happy to refer someone else new and start a chain of $10s. 8)

I plan on using Peapod for my big/heavy groceries, so my first order is going to be mostly things like coke 24 packs, cat litter, toilet paper, etc. I'll actually make my lazy self go to the store for more portable stuff.
Rink, if someone refers you could you refer me? I've been thinking about joining for awhile and this would be a great bonus.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:00 pm

Icculus wrote:

Rink, if someone refers you could you refer me? I've been thinking about joining for awhile and this would be a great bonus.
Will do! No luck so far, but I'll wait a bit.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:28 pm

Have you used Peapod before? Looks like a pretty good deal. Cheaper than a Zipcar. Hmmm...I may sign up for this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:30 pm

Samara wrote:

Have you used Peapod before? Looks like a pretty good deal. Cheaper than a Zipcar. Hmmm...I may sign up for this.
I haven't used it myself (hence wanting a referral), but I recall current students recommending it.

It's free to join and the delivery fee is totally reasonable. I might be wary of buying meat and produce sight-unseen, but for packaged stuff, why not? How can you screw up Coke?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:50 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I haven't used it myself (hence wanting a referral), but I recall current students recommending it.

It's free to join and the delivery fee is totally reasonable. I might be wary of buying meat and produce sight-unseen, but for packaged stuff, why not? How can you screw up Coke?
How much are the prices for the groceries and delivery? And if you're using it for non-perishables, is it cheaper than just buying shit off Amazon and having it delivered in 2 days with free Prime service?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:55 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I haven't used it myself (hence wanting a referral), but I recall current students recommending it.

How much are the prices for the groceries and delivery? And if you're using it for non-perishables, is it cheaper than just buying shit off Amazon and having it delivered in 2 days with free Prime service?
With Peapod, you get A LOT for just a little!!
Get Delivery for as little as $6.95 - as most customers do
Fees, Pricing & Payment
Over $100.00 $6.95
Between $75.00 & $100.00 $7.95
Orders less than $75.00 $9.95
Minimum order amount is $60.00.

"Yes, there is a delivery fee, but a big strong man carried $130 worth of groceries up three flights of stairs, in one load! Everything was exactly as we ordered it, and the produce was unbelievable."
Have you ordered food on Amazon? Whenever I've looked, it's been significantly (sometimes way) more expensive than the grocery store.

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:12 pm

Samara wrote:Have you ordered food on Amazon? Whenever I've looked, it's been significantly (sometimes way) more expensive than the grocery store.
Amazon can great for buying things like spices in bulk. Especially once you activate your Prime through NU.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:19 pm

Samara wrote:

I used zipcar for a costco run today and the car was a lot more expensive than I expected it to be. There are a ton of taxes on it, and the $8/hour car is a useless Fiat 500. I got a bunch of non-food stuff this time but I think in the future I might look at peapod as well. ~$30 to rent a car for 2 and half hours is pretty expensive.

Also, driving in Chicago is... what is the deal with people stopping in the middle of an intersection to do a left turn?

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:24 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
Samara wrote:

I used zipcar for a costco run today and the car was a lot more expensive than I expected it to be. There are a ton of taxes on it, and the $8/hour car is a useless Fiat 500. I got a bunch of non-food stuff this time but I think in the future I might look at peapod as well. ~$30 to rent a car for 2 and half hours is pretty expensive.

Also, driving in Chicago is... what is the deal with people stopping in the middle of an intersection to do a left turn?
like, getting into the intersection so you have to turn if the light turns red to clear the intersection? doesn't everyone do that?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:26 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:Also, driving in Chicago is... what is the deal with people stopping in the middle of an intersection to do a left turn?
Do you not do that in California? It's so that when there's an opportunity to go, you're already halfway through the turn and more cars can get through. And when it turns yellow/red, at least one car is able to get through.

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:26 pm

For groceries and those with a car/Zipcar - if you buy meat, there is a great wholesale place not too far from us where you can get fresh, quality meat dirt-cheap. Peoria Packing's butcher shop, on Lake just a few blocks shy of Ashland. I go there once a month and buy about 15 pounds of chicken breast for around $25. It can be a bit of an experience on weekends, so I usually go on a weekday afternoon.

--LinkRemoved--

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:35 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:For groceries and those with a car/Zipcar - if you buy meat, there is a great wholesale place not too far from us where you can get fresh, quality meat dirt-cheap. Peoria Packing's butcher shop, on Lake just a few blocks shy of Ashland. I go there once a month and buy about 15 pounds of chicken breast for around $25. It can be a bit of an experience on weekends, so I usually go on a weekday afternoon.

--LinkRemoved--
definitely checking this out- thanks!

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:41 pm

Samara wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:Also, driving in Chicago is... what is the deal with people stopping in the middle of an intersection to do a left turn?
Do you not do that in California? It's so that when there's an opportunity to go, you're already halfway through the turn and more cars can get through. And when it turns yellow/red, at least one car is able to get through.
I'm pretty sure that's illegal in CA. Then again, at least where I lived, we had 5-lane width residential streets and traffic never even came close to being an issue.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:01 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
Samara wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's illegal in CA. Then again, at least where I lived, we had 5-lane width residential streets and traffic never even came close to being an issue.
It is most definitely not illegal, people do that all the time here. I do it all the time, in fact. It's not even an issue of traffic, it's just so that you can ensure that you can make a left turn quickly.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:04 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:
Samara wrote:
It is most definitely not illegal, people do that all the time here. I do it all the time, in fact. It's not even an issue of traffic, it's just so that you can ensure that you can make a left turn quickly.
We do it in Oregon too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:22 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:
Samara wrote:
If you didn't do this on certain streets where there isn't a dedicated left turn, you would never be able to make turns lol.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:19 pm

Icculus wrote:

Yall still looking? PM me. Or Icc, email me.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:28 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
Samara wrote:

While I don't mind driving in Chicago, except for the traffic, I have almost been killed countless times trying to cross an intersection, in a crosswalk, with a walk light.

As for the zipcar, if you're only using it a few times a week it is still far cheaper than owning a car here when you factor in insurance, gas, and trying to park, as well as getting all the stickers and the inspection you need. But yeah, it still sucks about the taxes.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:05 pm

Finally got everything on the pre-matriculation list done and have everything set up to move into my apartment. I feel so accomplished...at least until I start thinking about packing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”