Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Re: Northwestern c/o 2015 - leading the T14 in bacon consumption

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:10 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:I've also been communicating with Student Space (the people who did the housing tour). They've been INCREDIBLY helpful.
Will Student Space help you out with buildings not on their recommended list? They make their money from the apartments, not the renters, right?
I'm also looking for a rental condo, which are just single units, of course.
I have no idea if they would or not, but he's recommended me like 5 complexes outside of the 3 on the housing tour, with little blurbs about what he likes/doesn't like about each of them, plus links to their website. He also called me yesterday to ask what sort of an apartment/price range/set of amenities I'm looking for. All of his emails have been super prompt. As someone who hasn't seen ANY apartment complexes and won't be able to visit Chicago again until late July, having someone lay it out like that for me has been SUPER helpful.

He's also offered to get more specific prices for me (the websites are generalized) so that I have a better idea of the space:price ratio on most of the studios in each complex.
can you send any of this stuff my way?
I'm not sure that any of the specifics would be interesting for you, since you want to live farther from Streeterville and you're looking for (I presume) a 1 bedroom, not a studio, but here is the basic info:
Buildings we saw:

Onterie
-best for budget and proximity. Can probably get a studio for under $1300 and convertible under $1400 (just a little bit more space). They do not include gym but NU Law gym is 2 blocks away. Standard appliances will come with lower budget ones (microwave, oven, fridge). They have a wait list for August but pretty sure have things available for your move-in date.
--LinkRemoved--

420 E Ohio
-best space in Streeterville for studios. Will range from $1300-$1400 because all are south facing and on high floors. Gym is 24 hours and nice finishes in kitchen. Seriously these studios are huge. There is a wait list here as well for August.
http://www.zrsapartments.com/420eastohi ... tments.asp

McClurg
-Good option/nice gym. Has a few studio sizes but will be around $1275-$1400 and there is a wait list for August (so get on it if you want this place.)
http://www.rmk.com/mcclurg/

Other Options
Streeterville
The Seneca
-newly remodeled, just north of law school. Will be nice apartments and prices will range from $1275 on up depending on space.
--LinkRemoved--

City Front
-great building, new management, nice studios (some upgraded and some not), very pet friendly and not a bad option as it’s quiet but still in Streeterville. Some studios are under $1300.
--LinkRemoved--

Gold Coast
1133 N Dearborn
-good studios here/have balconies on some. Within walking distance and located in Chicago’s Gold Coast neighborhood. A good option for around $1325.
http://www.ppmapartments.com/properties ... -dearborn/

1111 N Dearborn
-spacious studios here (but smaller kitchen and usually no dishwasher), great location and studios start around $1250 here.
http://www.ppmapartments.com/properties ... -dearborn/

One E Delaware
-one of my favorite buildings near the law school. Nice sized studios, good appliances and overall nice building. Grocery store in the building too. Nice business center and gym. Every unit has balcony. Studios are about $1400 on up depending on move-in date. Just a little bit of a nicer option that’s 15 minutes away.
--LinkRemoved--
I basically looked at all the options, told him what I thought, and he's helping me narrow down my choices. I found the list of complexes pretty damn helpful though.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:12 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
chill wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:I'm having trouble getting apartment listers to contact me back. I'll be in town on June 21st and 22nd. Does anyone know anything that would help me out?
I gotta get the email from my roommate but I'll send you the email of a guy from a group that is on top of their shit. I had problems with everyone I used last year until this group and they worked fast, communicated great, and found us exactly what we wanted at a good price.
Can you pm this to me, as well? We'll be finding an apartment in August, so I think going through a group might be our best option.
Would be interested in this too!
Well, I figure they can't get mad at me for giving them references, so I'll just post it here.

gene.divito@33realty.com.

Technically we used a guy named John Neil last year but he's only working with buyers now and referred us to gene. The whole group seemed on top of things, though.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:15 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:I'm not sure that any of the specifics would be interesting for you, since you want to live farther from Streeterville and you're looking for (I presume) a 1 bedroom, not a studio, but here is the basic info:
list of expensive buildings
Am I budgeting totally different from everyone else? Every way I work out my budget, I've got a MAX of $1200/mo for rent. How are people budgeting for $1375??

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:17 pm

JamMaster wrote:live on our couch?
I will say, if you can handle roommates, you can live very near campus for a reasonable price. I pay 1,000 (going up to 1100 if we stay this year) for my room in a pretty spacious 3br.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:18 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:I'm not sure that any of the specifics would be interesting for you, since you want to live farther from Streeterville and you're looking for (I presume) a 1 bedroom, not a studio, but here is the basic info:
Am I budgeting totally different from everyone else? Every way I work out my budget, I've got a MAX of $1200/mo for rent. How are people budgeting for $1375??
Are you budgeting 9 months or 12 months? COA includes only 9 months of rent, so if people are doing that they would theoretically have more to spend.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:18 pm

splitmuch wrote:
I will say, if you can handle roommates, you can live very near campus for a reasonable price. I pay 1,000 (going up to 1100 if we stay this year) for my room in a pretty spacious 3br.
I haven't lived with anyone for 10 years. 1L is not the time to start again.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:19 pm

Icculus wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Are you budgeting 9 months or 12 months? COA includes only 9 months of rent, so if people are doing that they would theoretically have more to spend.
Oh, I'm only doing 9. Summer will either be funded by the school, paid SA (lol, unicorns!), or come out of my retirement account with all the attendant penalties.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:22 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Am I budgeting totally different from everyone else? Every way I work out my budget, I've got a MAX of $1200/mo for rent. How are people budgeting for $1375??
I haven't really made a budget o_o (I know, I suck at life) but for me my primary factor is location, and all the places near campus are at least 1250 for a studio, unless you want to live in like 230 sq ft for a year. Where are you looking that has cheaper than $1200 studios? Is it nice/close to campus or pretty far away?

I told him my range is about 1250-1350. We've crossed the more expensive ones off my list already, that was just the full list he gave me initially.
splitmuch wrote:
@Jam - as charming as we are, I think Whiskey and I would get annoying living on your couch for a year :lol: <3

RE: roommates...I considered that (2 br apts are SO MUCH CHEAPER it hurts) but I don't want to deal with the hassle of finding a roommate and then potential roommate drama during 1L year. If I did have a roommate, I'd want it to either be someone I know really well and have hung out with a lot and know I won't have issues with, or a complete stranger who is really laid back so we can do our own thing and not have to worry about each other.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:28 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Am I budgeting totally different from everyone else? Every way I work out my budget, I've got a MAX of $1200/mo for rent. How are people budgeting for $1375??
I haven't really made a budget o_o (I know, I suck at life) but for me my primary factor is location, and all the places near campus are at least 1250 for a studio, unless you want to live in like 230 sq ft for a year. Where are you looking that has cheaper than $1200 studios? Is it nice/close to campus or pretty far away?

I told him my range is about 1250-1350. We've crossed the more expensive ones off my list already, that was just the full list he gave me initially.
Is it terrible that I'm afraid of sharing where I'm looking, for fear someone snaps up my dream place from underneath me?? :oops:
I have a few smaller buildings that I'm looking at ("vintage" which is a red flag, but newly remodeled...so...? :| )
Besides that, I'm looking at people's condos that they want to rent out. That's not a big selection because a lot of time they don't want pets (understandable), and of course it's just a single unit that comes available at a time, so the timing would have to be perfect. So far I've just been browsing since my Aug 1 move date is still too far out for anyone to give me any help. :x
I've found a few possibilities (again, just browsing thanks to the date), for $1250 or lower.
All within easy walking distance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:30 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:[
splitmuch wrote: I will say, if you can handle roommates, you can live very near campus for a reasonable price. I pay 1,000 (going up to 1100 if we stay this year) for my room in a pretty spacious 3br.
@Jam - as charming as we are, I think Whiskey and I would get annoying living on your couch for a year :lol: <3

RE: roommates...I considered that (2 br apts are SO MUCH CHEAPER it hurts) but I don't want to deal with the hassle of finding a roommate and then potential roommate drama during 1L year. If I did have a roommate, I'd want it to either be someone I know really well and have hung out with a lot and know I won't have issues with, or a complete stranger who is really laid back so we can do our own thing and not have to worry about each other.
That's a good point. I got a little lucky in that my undergrad feeds in to Chicago a lot and I had some good buddies who were starting jobs at the same time I was starting school.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:47 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Is it terrible that I'm afraid of sharing where I'm looking, for fear someone snaps up my dream place from underneath me?? :oops:
I have a few smaller buildings that I'm looking at ("vintage" which is a red flag, but newly remodeled...so...? :| )
Besides that, I'm looking at people's condos that they want to rent out. That's not a big selection because a lot of time they don't want pets (understandable), and of course it's just a single unit that comes available at a time, so the timing would have to be perfect. So far I've just been browsing since my Aug 1 move date is still too far out for anyone to give me any help. :x
I've found a few possibilities (again, just browsing thanks to the date), for $1250 or lower.
All within easy walking distance.
Hahha, no, it makes total sense, esp if you're looking for condos/small buildings instead of big complexes that have a lot of turnaround.

I've seen some places like that on Padmapper (smaller and cheaper but still close to campus), but like you said, none of them are available yet. It makes me nervous to still not have a place to stay, so I don't know if I'm patient enough or willing to risk not finding a good place once August leases become available. ): I do want to save money though, the idea of spending 1300+ on a studio is KILLING me.
splitmuch wrote:That's a good point. I got a little lucky in that my undergrad feeds in to Chicago a lot and I had some good buddies who were starting jobs at the same time I was starting school.
Yeah, if any of my IRL friends were in/moving to Chicago, I'd be on that shit in a second. Unfortunately, as it stands my only options are other 1Ls/law students/craigslist randos, which just sounds like a breeding ground for drama.

terriers

New

Post by terriers » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:50 pm

I am visiting the Seneca (mentioned on the list) next Thurs, might just try to sign a lease when I'm there, if anyone's interested in pics/feedback, I'll try to share.

From what I know so far, it's basically a converted hotel, apparently studios go as low as the 1140 range although I was also quoted $1208. The nice thing is that their leasing agents have been very responsive. Apparently they're renovating the building from the top down, so the newer studios on top are a bit pricier. Not sure how annoying the renovations might be...but I'm not too picky where I live, so I might just lock in there as long as there aren't any major problems.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:16 pm

terriers wrote:I am visiting the Seneca (mentioned on the list) next Thurs, might just try to sign a lease when I'm there, if anyone's interested in pics/feedback, I'll try to share.

From what I know so far, it's basically a converted hotel, apparently studios go as low as the 1140 range although I was also quoted $1208. The nice thing is that their leasing agents have been very responsive. Apparently they're renovating the building from the top down, so the newer studios on top are a bit pricier. Not sure how annoying the renovations might be...but I'm not too picky where I live, so I might just lock in there as long as there aren't any major problems.
Seems like the larger units would be ok, but think about the average small hotel room and then cram a kitchen in somewhere. Yikes. I would be SO claustrophobic living somewhere like this:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

terriers

New

Post by terriers » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:31 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
terriers wrote:I am visiting the Seneca (mentioned on the list) next Thurs, might just try to sign a lease when I'm there, if anyone's interested in pics/feedback, I'll try to share.

Seems like the larger units would be ok, but think about the average small hotel room and then cram a kitchen in somewhere. Yikes. I would be SO claustrophobic living somewhere like this:
I was worried about that too, but apparently at least some of the hotel rooms were old-school suite style ones, they sent me a couple pics and it definitely looks like the kitchen is its own room. In fact, it looked a little bizarre because the kitchen actually had an open/close door, so I'm a bit curious what the layout looks like once I'm there.

Here's a link to floor plan for what it's worth, I notice the advertised rates on the site have already gone up from when I first looked a month or so ago....rental market is crazy.

--LinkRemoved--

EDIT: Where's the pic from out of curiosity, from there?

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:05 am

Guys, check out what the MBA students did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij_QZE8OM4g

Challenge accepted?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:10 am

cactuarX3 wrote:Guys, check out what the MBA students did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij_QZE8OM4g

Challenge accepted?
The cast learned their parts, rehearsed, and were filmed as a single, continuous shot in less than 3.5 hours on a Sunday afternoon -- we needed to get back to studying!
LOL @ MBA students ever needing to study.

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:36 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:Guys, check out what the MBA students did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij_QZE8OM4g

Challenge accepted?
The cast learned their parts, rehearsed, and were filmed as a single, continuous shot in less than 3.5 hours on a Sunday afternoon -- we needed to get back to studying!
LOL @ MBA students ever needing to study.
you misunderstand; "studying" at bschool = drinking/networking

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:43 pm

Any recommendations on how to get NU to match 62.5K from NYU?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:49 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Any recommendations on how to get NU to match 62.5K from NYU?
AFAIK they're still out of money ): ):

The best you can do is to email Johann and Jill directly and explain how much you and your fiancee want to stay in the midwest/Chicago, but how finances are obviously a huge factor, especially for newlyweds. Don't mention that NYU is ranked higher as a way of bartering, they'll be like lolk then go to NYU.

I hope they give you money!!! ): I want to hang out with you + your fiancee next year!!

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:52 pm

Wow- congrats Jam! While I really hope you'll be in Chicago, that money is pretty impressive.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:08 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Any recommendations on how to get NU to match 62.5K from NYU?
Wow. That's really nice. Was that need-based?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:10 pm

Dean's scholly. not sure what it was based on.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:13 pm

Moral of the story: Jam is a MOTHERFUCKING BALLLERRRRRRRR :D

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:43 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Moral of the story: Jam is a MOTHERFUCKING BALLLERRRRRRRR :D
tell Johann

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:04 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Moral of the story: Jam is a MOTHERFUCKING BALLLERRRRRRRR :D
tell Johann
There's only so much they can do if they're literally out of money ):

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”