Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
bk1

Diamond

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Post by bk1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:56 pm

Samara wrote: :D You got in for the sweet, sweet banhammer action, right?
It's like being a cop. You think life is going to be all about taking down criminals and shooting baddies but when you actually get there you realize it's 90% paperwork.

gatorapplicant

Bronze

Post by gatorapplicant » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:03 pm

hi, everyone! it feels wonderful to be in this thread! wish i could make asw, but unfortunately i can't justify another trip to chicago after interviewing earlier this month

terriers

New

Post by terriers » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:04 pm

Darn, probably just got a business trip the week after ASW, hoping ASW will be more play than work.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:05 pm

terriers wrote:Darn, probably just got a business trip the week after ASW, hoping ASW will be more play than work.
ASW's aren't work at all.

cmob

New

Post by cmob » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:17 pm

I'm signed up for the housing tour, but I've been living in the loop since graduation and am well aware of the prices and neighborhoods. The only real benefit to go is to get an inside tour of the buildings and troll the group for a roommate (I touched on this earlier, but it drastically drops your COL).

However, I heard that the housing tour gets late pick on ASW events because they get back so late, thus I may be wasting time by doing the tour.

Which option should I pick? You may use the blank space as scratch paper. Your proctor will notify you when 5 minutes remain in this section.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

terriers

New

Post by terriers » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:17 pm

bk187 wrote:
terriers wrote:Darn, probably just got a business trip the week after ASW, hoping ASW will be more play than work.
Guess by "work", I really mean "boredom."

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:22 pm

terriers wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Guess by "work", I really mean "boredom."
The only boring parts are the presentations on Financial Aid and Career Services. (Last year the Fin.Aid presentation was a powerpoint with recorded narration because the woman who would have been giving it had just had a baby like 3 days before or something.)

Everything else is interesting. You aren't stuck in one place too long, and you get to talk to plenty of people. The mock torts class last year was even, dare I say, fun.

dolfan0516

Bronze

Post by dolfan0516 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:53 pm

gatorapplicant wrote:hi, everyone! it feels wonderful to be in this thread! wish i could make asw, but unfortunately i can't justify another trip to chicago after interviewing earlier this month
nice
Last edited by dolfan0516 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gatorapplicant

Bronze

Post by gatorapplicant » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:02 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:
gatorapplicant wrote:hi, everyone! it feels wonderful to be in this thread! wish i could make asw, but unfortunately i can't justify another trip to chicago after interviewing earlier this month
Another gator?!?
YES! Yay, this basically confirms I need to go to Northwestern.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:15 pm

cmob wrote:I'm signed up for the housing tour, but I've been living in the loop since graduation and am well aware of the prices and neighborhoods. The only real benefit to go is to get an inside tour of the buildings and troll the group for a roommate (I touched on this earlier, but it drastically drops your COL).

However, I heard that the housing tour gets late pick on ASW events because they get back so late, thus I may be wasting time by doing the tour.

Which option should I pick? You may use the blank space as scratch paper. Your proctor will notify you when 5 minutes remain in this section.
you have to sign up separately for the housing tour? is it not part of the ASW?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:38 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
cmob wrote:I'm signed up for the housing tour, but I've been living in the loop since graduation and am well aware of the prices and neighborhoods. The only real benefit to go is to get an inside tour of the buildings and troll the group for a roommate (I touched on this earlier, but it drastically drops your COL).

The housing tour is optional. I think you are supposed to sign up, but I'm not totally sure.

cmob

New

Post by cmob » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:05 am

Samara wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:

The housing tour is optional. I think you are supposed to sign up, but I'm not totally sure.
Yes, it's an early-morning optional event. IIRC, it is the first event and there are no alternatives. I just wanted to see if anyone had investigated, talked to StudentSpace, or found out anything special about this event besides tours. If it's just tours and basic info, it's pointless (for me) - I can name many websites off the top of my head that have much more expansive selection.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:10 pm

Sort of random, but anybody here play tennis? I noticed that there are some courts right across the street when I visited the campus.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:20 pm

Kikero wrote:Sort of random, but anybody here play tennis? I noticed that there are some courts right across the street when I visited the campus.
0_o this is going in the pro column for northwestern. <3 tennis, and that would be an amazing stress reliever.

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:02 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Kikero wrote:Sort of random, but anybody here play tennis? I noticed that there are some courts right across the street when I visited the campus.
0_o this is going in the pro column for northwestern. <3 tennis, and that would be an amazing stress reliever.
while we're talking about sports, anyone a runner? need to find running buddies if i attend

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:48 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
while we're talking about sports, anyone a runner? need to find running buddies if i attend
I am a person who runs, slowly and reluctantly, but I hesitate to call myself "a runner." :P

I am totally looking forward to discovering interesting running routes in the city, though! I've been doing laps around my friend's suburban neighborhood for too long.

terriers

New

Post by terriers » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:54 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
I wouldn't call myself a "runner", but I try to get in my 16 miles per week, actually a little worried about Chicago in that respect, does it get too cold to run outside? My guess would be "probably."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:23 pm

I'd love to play some tennis- my usual partner pulled his ACL dancing on Saint Patrick's Day.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:52 pm

terriers wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
I wouldn't call myself a "runner", but I try to get in my 16 miles per week, actually a little worried about Chicago in that respect, does it get too cold to run outside? My guess would be "probably."
My guess would also be "probably," but that how many days it gets too cold depends on you. I can run below freezing and be ok. Probably mid-20s would be my comfort limit, and I assume Chicago's gonna have some days below that. If your comfort limit is 50 degrees, you're going to have issues.

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:10 am

oh i don't want to give the impression that i'm some sort of professional, far from it, i probably do like 10 miles a week usually

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:24 am

cactuarX3 wrote:oh i don't want to give the impression that i'm some sort of professional, far from it, i probably do like 10 miles a week usually
Probably puts most law students to shame.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cmob

New

Post by cmob » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:45 am

cactuarX3 wrote:oh i don't want to give the impression that i'm some sort of professional, far from it, i probably do like 10 miles a week usually
Let me know come Fall if you need a running partner. If this year is anything like the last, you could run straight through Winter as long as you have warm clothes. There was rarely enough ice on the ground to be a running hazard.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:30 pm

terriers

New

Post by terriers » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:28 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:My guess would also be "probably," but that how many days it gets too cold depends on you. I can run below freezing and be ok. Probably mid-20s would be my comfort limit, and I assume Chicago's gonna have some days below that. If your comfort limit is 50 degrees, you're going to have issues.
Yeah, I usually go into about the low 30s and that's it.

Guessing you're a hockey fan here too? Happy to see that hockey has made a big comeback in Chicago, even if they beat the Flyers a couple years ago.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:59 pm

terriers wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:My guess would also be "probably," but that how many days it gets too cold depends on you. I can run below freezing and be ok. Probably mid-20s would be my comfort limit, and I assume Chicago's gonna have some days below that. If your comfort limit is 50 degrees, you're going to have issues.
Yeah, I usually go into about the low 30s and that's it.

Guessing you're a hockey fan here too? Happy to see that hockey has made a big comeback in Chicago, even if they beat the Flyers a couple years ago.
Hockey fan (NJ Devils) and rec league player! I've never lived in an NHL city before. I'll definitely be attending some Blackhawks games when I can afford it.

I currently run 2x/week, about 4-5 miles each time. In Chicago I'll be increasing my number of runs because I won't be playing hockey 2x/week anymore. :cry: Maybe that will turn me into an actual "runner." :P

(And by "run" I mean run about a mile, walk for a 1/4 mile, run, walk, run, walk. I haven't yet mastered the slow-and-steady constant run yet, although I am improving.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”