Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
elizcbeth

New

Re: Northwestern c/o 2015 - where all da vacant apartments at?

Post by elizcbeth » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:59 pm

Random question: Does anyone know if NU has lockers for rent? I am not looking forward to lugging my stuff around all day...

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:01 pm

elizcbeth wrote:Random question: Does anyone know if NU has lockers for rent? I am not looking forward to lugging my stuff around all day...
They're free. You get one downstairs automatically, and you can apply for one in the library if you want.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:45 pm

Hey y'all, PM if you want to go to IKEA out here in August. I can organize a group trip that will keep transportation costs low. I assume no one will have a car with them.

IKEA will deliver an unlimited number of boxed items to your apartment for $59. Depending on who all is getting in on this, we may be able to find economical ways to combine deliveries or something, but let's cross that bridge when we know who all is going.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:52 pm

Samara wrote:Hey y'all, PM if you want to go to IKEA out here in August. I can organize a group trip that will keep transportation costs low. I assume no one will have a car with them.

IKEA will deliver an unlimited number of boxed items to your apartment for $59. Depending on who all is getting in on this, we may be able to find economical ways to combine deliveries or something, but let's cross that bridge when we know who all is going.
/raises hand

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:57 pm

Samara wrote:Hey y'all, PM if you want to go to IKEA out here in August. I can organize a group trip that will keep transportation costs low. I assume no one will have a car with them.

WTF, don't tell my dad this. I thought the delivery fees were much higher (seriously, are you sure about that price??) so I bought all my Ikea shit in Oregon to have the MOVERS ship it to Chicago for me.

I did also avoid 10% sales tax, but I thought I was avoiding hundreds of dollars in delivery. :|

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:02 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

WTF, don't tell my dad this. I thought the delivery fees were much higher (seriously, are you sure about that price??) so I bought all my Ikea shit in Oregon to have the MOVERS ship it to Chicago for me.

I did also avoid 10% sales tax, but I thought I was avoiding hundreds of dollars in delivery. :|
To be clear, that's to have it shipped from the Schaumburg store to Chicago. Delivery fees increase as you move outside the delivery area. I'm sure it would cost an arm and a leg to have it shipped from Portland.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:08 pm

I think she bought her furniture brand new in Portland and then shipped it to Chicago thinking it would be cheaper than buying it new in Schaumburg

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:08 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:I think she bought her furniture brand new in Portland and then shipped it to Chicago thinking it would be cheaper than buying it new in Schaumburg
Considering sales tax, it very well may have been.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:10 pm

Samara wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:I think she bought her furniture brand new in Portland and then shipped it to Chicago thinking it would be cheaper than buying it new in Schaumburg
Considering sales tax, it very well may have been.
Moving estimate from CA for a studio's worth of furniture was ~$1000.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:47 pm

I'll volunteer my car as well to help transport people if this trip needs it!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:48 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:

You brought a car to Chicago? Holy balls, girl, how much is that costing you?

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:50 pm

I think it was $170 a month at my building.

To purchase a parking spot in River East costs $30,000 :lol:

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:50 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

You brought a car to Chicago? Holy balls, girl, how much is that costing you?
It's only staying through August; I had a weird situation where I needed it for my trip this past month. But, a lot. Don't bring a car, folks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:17 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:

Thanks! I'll still have mine, but I imagine we'll have enough people for two cars.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:24 pm

I'd be down for a trip to IKEA if there's room. I've already got most of my furniture, but I'd still like to pick up a few things (end tables, a desk, TV stand, etc).

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:07 pm

Having a car is totally doable (albeit usually unnecessary) outside of Streeterville, but yeah, I would never recommend it in this neighborhood.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:54 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Having a car is totally doable (albeit usually unnecessary) outside of Streeterville, but yeah, I would never recommend it in this neighborhood.
I kept my car and drive it approximately once every 1-2 weeks. I'm probably going to sell it this summer, the only reason I even keep it is for grocery shopping and occasionally driving to school when I'm hungover and wake up late. Honestly, the traffic around Chicago in general is usually so shitty that public transportation is faster.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:18 pm

Icculus wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Having a car is totally doable (albeit usually unnecessary) outside of Streeterville, but yeah, I would never recommend it in this neighborhood.
I kept my car and drive it approximately once every 1-2 weeks. I'm probably going to sell it this summer, the only reason I even keep it is for grocery shopping and occasionally driving to school when I'm hungover and wake up late. Honestly, the traffic around Chicago in general is usually so shitty that public transportation is faster.
Does anyone use Zipcar? You can drive a fair amount and still save money compared to gas/insurance/parking, not to mention car payments.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:20 pm

Samara wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Does anyone use Zipcar? You can drive a fair amount and still save money compared to gas/insurance/parking, not to mention car payments.
This is why I'm selling. I got a membership for $15 for the year + $40 in driving credit b/c a signed up through a friend who had an account. If you want PM and I'll send you my info and we can do the same deal.

Full disclosure: I'll get another $40 in credit.

PenguinMarch

New

Post by PenguinMarch » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:35 pm

Quick question on the computer grant - can we get access to that separate $3,000 loan in any way prior to the beginning of class? I'd like to go computer shopping and have it running before the first day.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:43 pm

PenguinMarch wrote:Quick question on the computer grant - can we get access to that separate $3,000 loan in any way prior to the beginning of class? I'd like to go computer shopping and have it running before the first day.
You could always use something like BillMeLater (a PayPal thing that lets you make purchases with no interest if you pay it all off in 60 days), and then pay if off once classes start. Downside is you'd have to purchase online. You could probably do the same thing with a credit card that doesn't charge interest the first month.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:44 pm

PenguinMarch wrote:Quick question on the computer grant - can we get access to that separate $3,000 loan in any way prior to the beginning of class? I'd like to go computer shopping and have it running before the first day.
No, I ended up getting a best buy store card, buying my computer, then paying it off. The whole thing gets dispersed first day of class.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:47 pm

Kikero wrote:
You could always use something like BillMeLater (a PayPal thing that lets you make purchases with no interest if you pay it all off in 60 days), and then pay if off once classes start. Downside is you'd have to purchase online. You could probably do the same thing with a credit card that doesn't charge interest the first month.
I did this, and HP actually has a 6-month no-interest thing with Pay Me Later going. I'll pay it off when I get my loans.

kerflux

Bronze

Post by kerflux » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:02 am

I think it's only $2000, though, so you may want to check your budget

Fabulist

New

Post by Fabulist » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:47 am

Speaking of computers, what's the story with the requirements? I can't imagine they're really needed for anything that resource-intensive. I've got a netbook I've used for taking notes/writing papers for a while, anyone know of a good reason it wouldn't work?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”