Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
terriers

New

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Post by terriers » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:26 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
terriers wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:My guess would also be "probably," but that how many days it gets too cold depends on you. I can run below freezing and be ok. Probably mid-20s would be my comfort limit, and I assume Chicago's gonna have some days below that. If your comfort limit is 50 degrees, you're going to have issues.
Yeah, I usually go into about the low 30s and that's it.

Guessing you're a hockey fan here too? Happy to see that hockey has made a big comeback in Chicago, even if they beat the Flyers a couple years ago.
Hockey fan (NJ Devils) and rec league player! I've never lived in an NHL city before. I'll definitely be attending some Blackhawks games when I can afford it.

I currently run 2x/week, about 4-5 miles each time. In Chicago I'll be increasing my number of runs because I won't be playing hockey 2x/week anymore. :cry: Maybe that will turn me into an actual "runner." :P

(And by "run" I mean run about a mile, walk for a 1/4 mile, run, walk, run, walk. I haven't yet mastered the slow-and-steady constant run yet, although I am improving.)
Oh nice, a team that has broken my heart many times! Flyers fan here, Game 7 in 2000 still haunts me. I stopped playing hockey after high school (I played roller and don't skate very well anyways), but then I put on weight, so I had to start running, I usually go for 4 miles 4x a week. Really hate it though, thinking about getting back into soccer, thinking it might be easier.

I'm excited to go to some Hawks games too, would love to see Hawks-Wings or Hawks-Canucks!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:01 pm

Hey everybody, today is the last day for the Beer and Bacon Tasting deal from LivingSocial: http://www.livingsocial.com/deals/29455 ... i=15867892

Looks like Saturday, April 14, from 6-8p is going to work the best for everybody. If you are coming, please PM me or post in this thread if you haven't done so already so I can secure the appropriate reservation.

This is going to be so awesome!

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:09 am

foxylaxy wrote:Although I am not 100% decided on NU (BUT it is the only school that can take me from Michigan so far), I am a Chicago native and went to school in Chicago for 4 years, so I thought this might help:

Neighborhoods:
Link to click on neighborhoods and see what's around
--LinkRemoved--

About River North/other Loop-esque areas: be warned. Many restaurants/stores close around 7, so if you are a night person, get ready to make friends with 7/11 and other convenience marts. I worked in a store on mag mile, which closed at 7.

Includes price ranges:
http://www.apartmentsavvy.com/neighborhoods.htm

Transport:
Other than train/bus, there is ALSO the NU Shuttle. It comes from Evanston and makes at least a few stops in Rogers Park before stopping at the downtown campus (where the law school is). I'm sure a quick call to the school would confirm stops so you could add those places to your list of livable neighborhoods

Food:
Besides the pizza (for deep dish, it's lous or else ginos), the popcorn (garretts):
Goose Island-taste local beers! There's one very near Wrigley.
Crisp-in Lakeview, best chicken wings I have EVER eaten. Crispy on the outside but moist on the inside. Korean-style.
Molly's Cupcakes-Lincoln park moist cupcakes, some with fillings. During ASW, they won't have it but mint velvet is my favorite. Popular ones include Cookie Monster (filled with cookie dough), Peach cobbler, and Cookies and Cream. They won a Cupcake Wars and opened up a shop in NYC. (We also have Crumbs and Magnolia now in the loop)
Aloha Eats-next door to Molly's. Hawaiian-themed, with spam musubi, different katsus and teriyakis.
Del Seoul-down the street from Molly's (Man do I spend a lot of time on Clark). Korean themed tacos.
Portillos-there is one downtown. For the Chicago hot dog. Dessert- chocolate cake, cake shake or the Chocolate Eclair Cake.
Bongo Room-One location in Wicker, one near the red line stop on Roosevelt. My favorite brunch place.
Joy Yee Noodle-chinese food, but better. Locations in chinatown, Evanston (by NU UG!), UIC
San Soo Gab San-Korean BBQ in Lincoln Square
Garcia's-real Mexican food. the Burritos are huge. Lincoln Square.
Kuma's Corner-supposedly the best burger in the City. Wait can be ridiculous.
DMK Burger-Truffle. Oil. Fries. The burger was good too. Lincoln Park.
Hot Dougs-exotic hot dogs. Wait is also ridiculous.

:? Posting about all this food is making think I can't leave...

For Crumps, since you're gonna be here for awhile here are some drink specials
Drink
Kit Kat Lounge- half off Martinis Tuesdays! (Bring cash to tip your cross dressing entertainers) in Boystown
Blue Line Lounge and Grill-$5 Martini Wednesday. $4 mojito/$3 Sangria pint Thursdays in Wicker Park
...Can anyone help this list out? I realized it is only 2 lounges long lol.

See you all at ASW!
Quoting this because it will probably come in useful to me.

Can someone link me to the other Nu thread with the super long OP. posted by crumps IIRC. I remember seeing it once but I can't find it again.

iphone7

Bronze

Post by iphone7 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:26 am

It's totally late March now. We should be hearing about scholarships soon!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:31 am

iphone7 wrote:It's totally late March now. We should be hearing about scholarships soon!
Someone emailed the school and was told that scholarship info for people who are getting money should be out by the end of this week.

AlexGrace

New

Post by AlexGrace » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:11 pm

I keep thinking... Can I get tweet?? Little birdie, please tell me when I can stop kidding myself about getting financial aid. :lol:

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:51 pm

bump for luck.

chill

Bronze

Post by chill » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:11 pm

Two questions for y'all:

1. Will they send out financial aid notifications to our normal emails or the NU email they had us set up a few weeks ago?
2. How is NU at negotiating schollys if other T14's have made offers? My partner's gotten some fairly significant schollys from other T14's, but we'd prefer to be in the same town if possible. We're crossing our fingers that NU will come through, but, if it doesn't, how likely is it that they'd match offers?

Also, for those of you going to the ASW: I'm jealous. Please post obscene amounts of photos.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:14 pm

chill wrote:Two questions for y'all:

1. Will they send out financial aid notifications to our normal emails or the NU email they had us set up a few weeks ago?
2. How is NU at negotiating schollys if other T14's have made offers? My partner's gotten some fairly significant schollys from other T14's, but we'd prefer to be in the same town if possible. We're crossing our fingers that NU will come through, but, if it doesn't, how likely is it that they'd match offers?

Also, for those of you going to the ASW: I'm jealous. Please post obscene amounts of photos.
o_0 runs to check NU email.

chill

Bronze

Post by chill » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:22 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:

So that other people don't panic: the only emails in my NU email account are welcomes from Gmail.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:26 pm

chill wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

So that other people don't panic: the only emails in my NU email account are welcomes from Gmail.
Same here.

XCanadian91

New

Post by XCanadian91 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:26 pm

chill wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

Thx for checking... was about to panic.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:33 pm

I was told that scholarship info will almost certainly come out to most people on Friday and that some might get it on Thursday.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:12 pm

Seems like they're still using whatever emails we applied with for all communication. My NU email is set up on my phone with my other addresses, so I would definitely have let you guys know if anything had come!

XCanadian91

New

Post by XCanadian91 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:24 am

Come on financial aid bump!

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:24 pm

XCanadian91 wrote:Come on financial aid bump!
If you hear, guys, post it!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jwmcalli

New

Post by Jwmcalli » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:38 pm

Anyone finding themselves hitting the refresh button on their inbox way too often today?

XCanadian91

New

Post by XCanadian91 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:39 pm

Jwmcalli wrote:Anyone finding themselves hitting the refresh button on their inbox way too often today?
+1
are we sure they are sending the info today?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:40 pm

XCanadian91 wrote:
Jwmcalli wrote:Anyone finding themselves hitting the refresh button on their inbox way too often today?
+1
are we sure they are sending the info today?
It is supposed to come out today, but there hasn't been an announcement.
tweetsbyjohann wrote:slowly rolling out some scholarship offers.

Jwmcalli

New

Post by Jwmcalli » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:46 pm

If you don't get an offer will they just not send an email, or will everyone be informed of their financial aid status?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tjddk

Bronze

Post by tjddk » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:12 pm

Jwmcalli wrote:If you don't get an offer will they just not send an email, or will everyone be informed of their financial aid status?
--LinkRemoved--

According to that, looks like you will NOT find out TODAY if you aren't awarded a merit/need scholarship. You'll eventually get official word of your total financial aid package (loans) though.

dolfan0516

Bronze

Post by dolfan0516 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:13 pm

Johann's G+ wrote:Financial aid stuff: The Criteria

Admits- my guess is that most of you are waiting on pins and needles to hear from us regarding scholarships. Consider this post an introduction or preamble to the main event which will be rolled out the next few days.

At Northwestern Law, scholarships are determined based on three factors: a) strength of file; b) needs analysis; c) essay responses.

a) Strength of File- The same as the admissions criteria. However, you are now being compared against other admits (much tougher pool)

b) Needs Analysis- This was based on the Needs Access form using our own formula based on a traditional needs analysis. We did not count ANY parental information in the needs calculation (outside of what was known as an outside contribution). The vast majority of applicants had a high degree of need.

c) Essay Responses- This was the downfall for a lot of applicants. When you think of the word "essay" it conjures up an image of a multiple paragraph well-thought response, NOT what was turned in by a good number of you. I could do a very long post on the mistakes that applicants made. There were issues with both scope and substance. There were a few flip responses that made committee members quite angry. If you do not take the process seriously, well.... you know where this is going.

The first set of scholarships should now be out...
Congrats to those in the first batch!

And to the rest of us, the wait continues.... dun dun dunnnn

Jwmcalli

New

Post by Jwmcalli » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:20 pm

Well great. Now I'm trying to figure out if my essays somehow made them angry.

Dato

New

Post by Dato » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:27 pm

I don't get it... Weren't the scholly "essays" limited to one or two paragraphs"...?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”