Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Icculus

Silver

Re: Northwestern c/o 2015 - where all da vacant apartments at?

Post by Icculus » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:23 pm

splitmuch wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
gatorspader wrote:I was wondering what people wear in Law School? After watching The Paper Chase I realized I have no attire what the normal attire is. What should I be stocking up on?
I'm pretty sure everyone will just be wearing what they wear normally. No one will be in PJ's like in UG, but no one is going to be wearing suits or business casual to class either. Relax, bro, no one's judging you based on what you wear anyway. :lol:

Don't say no one.
Especially during exams.
kerflux wrote:lol, I'm glad someone else posed this question. I just assumed it would be business casual.

re: clothing in chicago - when do you actually have to start wearing winter clothes? is it just a few months out of the year or...? we don't have seasons over here, so this is all new
Usually December, January, February are the coldest months of the year, though this past winter we were spoiled. Barely any snow, and generally not too cold. Then again I'm from the northeast where we have winters, my California friends still found this winter to be too much, I can't wait to see what they're like when a real winter hits.

Things you will need:
1. winter boots that are waterproof
2. heavy winter coat, I bought mine at LL Bean and it's good to -40
3. hat that covers your ears

Remember people: layers. As cold as it gets outside, the law school heat is almost too much. There were days where it was 20 outside but I'd be in a class room in a t-shirt and jeans sweating.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:28 pm

Also I wore sweatpants to class a lot in the winter and wore basketball shorts to class many times when it was nice out. I'd say most people wear jeans or khakis and t-shirts or polos. No one cares what you wear to class really

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:17 am

Samara wrote:It depends on the person. All you California people will probably start bundling up in October, whereas I usually try to avoid wearing my winter coat until December. Winters can vary a lot as well. Sometimes the snow starts before Thanksgiving, other times it doesn't start until January.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:18 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:It depends on the person. All you California people will probably start bundling up in October, whereas I usually try to avoid wearing my winter coat until December. Winters can vary a lot as well. Sometimes the snow starts before Thanksgiving, other times it doesn't start until January.
I saw a Halloween snow storm once, and one time we had a storm on April Fool's Day that dropped a foot of snow on us. Fun, fun.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:22 am

Also, remember that once you get used to wearing a winter coat, the same temp will feel much colder than it should if you try to go without it. So, if it's a little cold in early October, and you wear your heavy coat, you'll probably be too cold without it even if it warms up a bit for a few weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NorthwesternorBust

Silver

Post by NorthwesternorBust » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:50 am

Love reading through this thread and seeing someone ask almost all of the random questions I have in my head.

Getting excited, folks.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:52 am

NorthwesternorBust wrote:Love reading through this thread and seeing someone ask almost all of the random questions I have in my head.

Getting excited, folks.
Sounds like you have more questions. UNBURDEN YOURSELF, brother. The thread will surely be grateful.

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:31 am

Flips88 wrote:Also I wore sweatpants to class a lot in the winter and wore basketball shorts to class many times when it was nice out. I'd say most people wear jeans or khakis and t-shirts or polos. No one cares what you wear to class really
People wear Tommy Bahamas to class. I wore a hoodie, jeans, and a hat almost every day that I could. You don't need to make more than a minimal effort in the morning, and in the last month before finals (especially in winter) people stop trying altogether.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:14 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Also I wore sweatpants to class a lot in the winter and wore basketball shorts to class many times when it was nice out. I'd say most people wear jeans or khakis and t-shirts or polos. No one cares what you wear to class really
People wear Tommy Bahamas to class. I wore a hoodie, jeans, and a hat almost every day that I could. You don't need to make more than a minimal effort in the morning, and in the last month before finals (especially in winter) people stop trying altogether.
This is true. However, if you're used to getting dressed to go to work everyday, it might be helpful to keep a similar level of dress going. I know that if I roll out in the morning, I'm less focused than I could be. Then again, I'm one of the treat-it-like-a-job camp, so just my $0.02.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:25 pm

The two aren't mutually exclusive. Putting on dress pants and a button down to class would only make me focus on how I couldn't wait to have a t-shirt and shorts on.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:34 pm

NorthwesternorBust wrote:Getting excited, folks.
Me toooooo!! :D btw I love your username, hahaha. DAT NU SPIRIT. :lol:

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:07 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
NorthwesternorBust wrote:Getting excited, folks.
Me toooooo!! :D btw I love your username, hahaha. DAT NU SPIRIT. :lol:

I know this is very naive and will fade when the misery sets in, but when I think about school starting...

Though half of that might be all you awesome people getting here.

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:20 pm

Enjoy it as much as you can before it picks up. Go explore the city, go out and get drunk orientation week, sleep well, eat good food, meet new friends. All this helps tremendously when the semester begins to suck.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dolfan0516

Bronze

Post by dolfan0516 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:15 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Also, remember that once you get used to wearing a winter coat, the same temp will feel much colder than it should if you try to go without it. So, if it's a little cold in early October, and you wear your heavy coat, you'll probably be too cold without it even if it warms up a bit for a few weeks.
I will be wearing a parka from October to April, thank you very much

gatorspader

New

Post by gatorspader » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:26 pm

Are other people considering participating in the NU Summer Law Preparatory Program? Have people heard good things about it? Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:48 pm

gatorspader wrote:Are other people considering participating in the NU Summer Law Preparatory Program? Have people heard good things about it? Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
Is this like one of the Law Preview classes? If it is, don't waste your time. Relax and enjoy your summer. I'd only recommend one of those if it's free and you literally don't have anything better to do.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:59 pm

gatorspader wrote:Are other people considering participating in the NU Summer Law Preparatory Program? Have people heard good things about it? Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p5735424

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kerflux

Bronze

Post by kerflux » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:16 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:it's free and you literally don't have anything better to do.
lol, k. I've never been one to do anything extra in school, ever, but I figure if I'm going to pay sticker a little extra prep can't hurt. It also said it's not mandatory, so if completely useless idk if you'd have to stick through the whole thing

On a different note, I fly in at 5AM and my leasing office isn't open to sign the papers and give me the key until 9. Fml, lol

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:24 pm

kerflux wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:it's free and you literally don't have anything better to do.
lol, k. I've never been one to do anything extra in school, ever, but I figure if I'm going to pay sticker a little extra prep can't hurt. It also said it's not mandatory, so if completely useless idk if you'd have to stick through the whole thing

On a different note, I fly in at 5AM and my leasing office isn't open to sign the papers and give me the key until 9. Fml, lol
DAT FRONTERA BREAKFAST

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:44 pm

kerflux wrote:I fly in at 1AM and my leasing office isn't open to sign the papers and give me the key until 9. Fml, lol
FTFM

What is this Frontera business?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:47 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
kerflux wrote:I fly in at 1AM and my leasing office isn't open to sign the papers and give me the key until 9. Fml, lol
FTFM

O'Hare has a Frontera that is open for breakfast, so if you wanted to kill some time, you could do worse than chilling at the airport with a delicious Frontera breakfast torta or mollette (LinkRemoved).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:50 pm

Samara wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:
FTFM

O'Hare has a Frontera that is open for breakfast, so if you wanted to kill some time, you could do worse than chilling at the airport with a delicious Frontera breakfast torta or mollette (LinkRemoved).
That sounds really nice... for the people flying into O'Hare.

:(

kerflux

Bronze

Post by kerflux » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:07 pm

lol why did you change my flight arrival time to 1AM? don't put that evil on me

gatorspader

New

Post by gatorspader » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:08 pm

Thanks Samara. Just what I was looking for. I need to be more vigilant in checking both threads!

Samara wrote:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p5735424

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:31 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:Also, remember that once you get used to wearing a winter coat, the same temp will feel much colder than it should if you try to go without it. So, if it's a little cold in early October, and you wear your heavy coat, you'll probably be too cold without it even if it warms up a bit for a few weeks.
I will be wearing a parka from October to April, thank you very much
In light of Genie's comments, I'm going to be toughing it out and dressing like a real Chicago native until the snow hits. I will try to keep bitching to a minimum.

Also, I applied for the NU Law Prep class. It's only 4 days and orientation starts right after anyway. IMO, the worst thing that can happen is that it is useless and merely an exercise in waking up and showing up to 'class'. It's not like I have anything better to do that week other than shop or sleep off a hangover. And best case scenario = I learn a little bit about how to handle LS for free!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”