Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Samara

Gold

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Post by Samara » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:16 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Tentative ASW schedule up on the admitted student site!
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... da_ASW.pdf

Looks pretty similar to last year, and last year was fun. :)
The schedule looks awesome! Excite.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:57 pm

so excited for asw. the schedule makes me happy.

anybody booked a hotel? i'm ashamed to say that i've never traveled alone before and so don't want to be the only one in my hotel....

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Post by kennethellenparcell » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:01 pm

The schedule looks awesome! Look forward to meeting you guys!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:57 pm

emkay625 wrote:so excited for asw. the schedule makes me happy.

anybody booked a hotel? i'm ashamed to say that i've never traveled alone before and so don't want to be the only one in my hotel....
Inn of Chicago. It's pretty cheap, but not THE cheapest. I got a good deal with my Southwest Airlines ticket.

Traveling alone is awesome! I wish I got to do it more.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:29 am

emkay625 wrote:so excited for asw. the schedule makes me happy.

I just booked at the Wyndham Chicago. It's $89/night (ends up being $310.80 including tax for 3 nights) and it's about 1/3 mile from NU, so no need for a taxi. Looked like a fine deal to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:50 am

Any males who want a free place to stay, my place is open. Any females, you can stay too, but I may try shit.

foxylaxy

Bronze

Post by foxylaxy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:56 am

rinkrat19 wrote:I've been avoiding working by browsing around on this site today: --LinkRemoved--
I hope I have enough free time to take advantage of even a fraction of the stuff Chicago has going on!

(and just in case it got missed, I posted above that the tentative schedule for ASW is up on the admitted student site.)
Also this: http://chicagofree.info/
If you find the museums below and click the thread with the calendar picture, it'll show all free for that month!
For example for february: http://chicagofree.info/2012/02/01/free ... uary-2012/
I am most definitely enjoying these free days! Planning on seeing the Shedd and Field Museum this month :) It is shameful I've lived so near all my life and have never been to the Shedd.

Do the Ferris Bueller thing and see La Grande Jatte. Their free days are different now though...they used to be free every Tuesday, and now I think it's only free 2x a month to IL residents :(

foxylaxy

Bronze

Post by foxylaxy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:10 pm

terriers wrote:On a different note, had a business trip to Indy a few months ago, was my first time in the Midwest, couldn't believe how nice/polite people were, I thought it was some kind of sarcasm for the first few days. Does that extend to Chicago?
Although I'm a native, I think it does! My boyfriend is a dancer and used to live in LA. He would bring his friends here (and as dancers, they've traveled all over the world to dance and teach workshops) and all of them loved it. They said it had a big city vibe like NYC, but with a nicer people vibe like SF. Also, on my trips to visit schools (LA, SF, Boston, NYC, Philly) almost every person told me they love Chicago...except for the weather.

Related note, it is NOT as friendly as the South. My cousin married a Texas girl who complained about Chicagoans not being friendly. To which he replied, they are, you just have to know how to talk to them. This is true. If you complain about something (e.g. parking meter rates) to someone nearby that person will sympathize with you and have a conversation with you. If you just say hi, you might get ignored or be given a strange look. She attempted this mode of conversation with a stranger and succeeded. It might not be as nice as rural areas, but it is nice for a big city. Certainly didn't feel that vibe from people in LA nor NYC.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:19 pm

foxylaxy wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I've been avoiding working by browsing around on this site today: --LinkRemoved--
I hope I have enough free time to take advantage of even a fraction of the stuff Chicago has going on!

(and just in case it got missed, I posted above that the tentative schedule for ASW is up on the admitted student site.)
Also this: http://chicagofree.info/
If you find the museums below and click the thread with the calendar picture, it'll show all free for that month!
For example for february: http://chicagofree.info/2012/02/01/free ... uary-2012/
I am most definitely enjoying these free days! Planning on seeing the Shedd and Field Museum this month :) It is shameful I've lived so near all my life and have never been to the Shedd.

Do the Ferris Bueller thing and see La Grande Jatte. Their free days are different now though...they used to be free every Tuesday, and now I think it's only free 2x a month to IL residents :(
There's a free exhibit called 'Morbid Curiosity' at the Cultural Center that I'll probably try and see while I'm there for ASW. Plus the Cultural Center building itself is worth seeing just for the architecture. (Largest Tiffany stained glass dome in the world.) --LinkRemoved-- (Yes, it sounds...well, morbid, but also interesting.)

The Oriental Institute at UChi is always free, and if you like ancient Egyptian/Persian/Nubian stuff, their collection is pretty impressive. http://oi.uchicago.edu/museum/

I'll have almost a full a year left on my membership (earned with volunteer hours) to the Oregon Museum of Science & Industry by the time I get to Chicago, and it gets me into the Chicago MSI free, which is awesome for a geek like me. http://www.msichicago.org/ In fact, I may see if I can do my NU-required service hours at the museum.

The smallish zoo at Lincoln Park is free and looks like a decent little place, plus it's a convenient 2-mile jog up Lake Shore trail from Streeterville. I do like running TO somewhere instead of just running to sweat. :P http://www.lpzoo.org/plan-your-visit

I haven't been to the Art Institute or the Field yet. Eager to see those.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

terriers

New

Post by terriers » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:25 pm

foxylaxy wrote:
terriers wrote:On a different note, had a business trip to Indy a few months ago, was my first time in the Midwest, couldn't believe how nice/polite people were, I thought it was some kind of sarcasm for the first few days. Does that extend to Chicago?
Although I'm a native, I think it does! My boyfriend is a dancer and used to live in LA. He would bring his friends here (and as dancers, they've traveled all over the world to dance and teach workshops) and all of them loved it. They said it had a big city vibe like NYC, but with a nicer people vibe like SF. Also, on my trips to visit schools (LA, SF, Boston, NYC, Philly) almost every person told me they love Chicago...except for the weather.

Related note, it is NOT as friendly as the South. My cousin married a Texas girl who complained about Chicagoans not being friendly. To which he replied, they are, you just have to know how to talk to them. This is true. If you complain about something (e.g. parking meter rates) to someone nearby that person will sympathize with you and have a conversation with you. If you just say hi, you might get ignored or be given a strange look. She attempted this mode of conversation with a stranger and succeeded. It might not be as nice as rural areas, but it is nice for a big city. Certainly didn't feel that vibe from people in LA nor NYC.
Haha, I'm from Philly, so even if it's not as friendly as the South, I'm guessing it's probably a pretty big courtesy upgrade. Going to book tickets and hotel this weekend, really looking forward to seeing Chicago, a couple of friends went to school in the area and really liked it.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:59 am

terriers wrote:Haha, I'm from Philly, so even if it's not as friendly as the South, I'm guessing it's probably a pretty big courtesy upgrade. Going to book tickets and hotel this weekend, really looking forward to seeing Chicago, a couple of friends went to school in the area and really liked it.
If Always Sunny is any indication of Philly residents, you are in for a huge kindness upgrade.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:05 pm

foxylaxy wrote:

Southern 'friendliness' has always seemed sort of passive-aggressive and sarcastic to me. (As if they're mentally adding 'bless your heart, you Yankee bitch' to everything they say.) Chicago friendliness was less forced and over-the-top, but still noticeable. One bus driver basically gave me a driving tour of her route after I asked about one landmark. :)

foxylaxy

Bronze

Post by foxylaxy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:00 pm

terriers wrote: Haha, I'm from Philly, so even if it's not as friendly as the South, I'm guessing it's probably a pretty big courtesy upgrade. Going to book tickets and hotel this weekend, really looking forward to seeing Chicago, a couple of friends went to school in the area and really liked it.
Perfect timing! It's Chicago Restaurant Week starting tomorrow.
Participating Restaurants: http://www.opentable.com/promo.aspx?pid=270&m=3
Link for Restaurants and Menus: --LinkRemoved--
$22 lunch or else $33 or $44 dinners.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

terriers

New

Post by terriers » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:29 pm

Samara wrote:
terriers wrote:Haha, I'm from Philly, so even if it's not as friendly as the South, I'm guessing it's probably a pretty big courtesy upgrade. Going to book tickets and hotel this weekend, really looking forward to seeing Chicago, a couple of friends went to school in the area and really liked it.
If Always Sunny is any indication of Philly residents, you are in for a huge kindness upgrade.
Yeah, we're not quite that bad, but people can be a little rough and that show doesn't begin to cover the notorious Philly sports fan (I always end up feeling embarrassed when I go to a Flyers game).
foxylaxy wrote: Perfect timing! It's Chicago Restaurant Week starting tomorrow.
Participating Restaurants: http://www.opentable.com/promo.aspx?pid=270&m=3
Link for Restaurants and Menus: --LinkRemoved--
$22 lunch or else $33 or $44 dinners.
Ahh, just booking for ASW unfortunately..hmm, I think Chicago is 12-14 hours from here, maybe I will road-trip this week for Restaurant Week, hard to pass up....if only I didn't have that Fin Aid essay to work on!

AlexGrace

New

Post by AlexGrace » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:33 pm

Hey everybody... new here! =)

I filled out the NeedAccess form and FAFSA a few days ago. That was fun.

Anyone going to the Admitted Student Reception in Manhattan next week?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:16 pm

Welp, my dad has decided to accompany me for my entire Thursday-Tuesday ASW trip. Fortunately, he's not insisting on coming to the actual ASW on Friday and Saturday. I'll want to show him campus at some point, of course, but to meet all you guys with the nerd-dad tagging along (especially at my age!) would be lame.

I think he's mostly just excited to have an excuse to play in the city for a few days. He's a big museum geek like me, and he's originally from the area.

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:16 pm

AlexGrace wrote:Hey everybody... new here! =)

I filled out the NeedAccess form and FAFSA a few days ago. That was fun.

Anyone going to the Admitted Student Reception in Manhattan next week?
Me!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AlexGrace

New

Post by AlexGrace » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:37 pm

Ooh fun- see you there!

I love how they wouldn't tell us their secret location until we RSVP'ed... I'm thinking that's how I'm going to go about inviting friends to my next birthday party...

Surprise - it's at my place! =)

I'm a dork...

terriers

New

Post by terriers » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:46 pm

...just got into Georgetown, anybody struggling with a Georgetown/NW decision? They were my top-2 coming in (knowing that I had very, very low chances at Penn/Michigan), DC is an awesome city, I don't want to work Big Law my whole life, and Georgetown has some fun gov opportunities, but at the same time, NW is ranked higher, I like the practical-slant on their curriculum, and it really scares me that Georgetown won't post detailed employment stats like NW has done.

Anybody else considering both?

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:52 pm

terriers wrote:...just got into Georgetown, anybody struggling with a Georgetown/NW decision? They were my top-2 coming in (knowing that I had very, very low chances at Penn/Michigan), DC is an awesome city, I don't want to work Big Law my whole life, and Georgetown has some fun gov opportunities, but at the same time, NW is ranked higher, I like the practical-slant on their curriculum, and it really scares me that Georgetown won't post detailed employment stats like NW has done.

Anybody else considering both?
I am, but will 90 percent go to NU for spouse-related work reasons. If I were you though, it would come down to money.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:44 pm

Has anybody worked on the scholarship essays yet?

I am completely at a loss as far as what to put down for "make your case for merit aid." How does one write "my gpa sucks but you know you want my lsat score?" I feel like talking about my work experience and other soft factors would be trite, but is that what they're looking for?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:46 pm

emkay625 wrote:Has anybody worked on the scholarship essays yet?

I am completely at a loss as far as what to put down for "make your case for merit aid." How does one write "my gpa sucks but you know you want my lsat score?" I feel like talking about my work experience and other soft factors would be trite, but is that what they're looking for?
Craaaaaaaap. I need to do that.

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:48 pm

Wait, what are these? They email them to you once they process your fafsa/NeedAccess?

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:50 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:

Wait, what are these? They email them to you once they process your fafsa/NeedAccess?
They were in an email sent a few days after I was accepted. You have to talk about your goals and then discuss why you think you deserve a scholarship.

I am thinking about talking about how I have a diverse range of work experience and also talking about a unique skill that could contribute to the law school. Is this what they want? Or do they really want something like "I have high numbers so give me monies."

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:27 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:

Do you already have a scholarship offer? I didn't get anything about essays with my financial aid e-mail either since I'm already getting money.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”