Harvard Law Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
BlakcMajikc

Silver

Harvard Law Class of 2015

Post by BlakcMajikc » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:42 pm

Deferral from last year's cycle here. Anyone else around who has deferred?
Look forward to meeting you all next year. Feel free to PM me!

ASWs: March 3-5 and April 14-16.

Relevant Links (and I'll add more as I see them):
Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Harvard 1L Taking Questions

Harvard Law School FAQ

Harvard Law School Housing

Thread for those still deciding: In at Harvard
Last edited by BlakcMajikc on Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Confused7

Silver

Re: Harvard Law 2015

Post by Confused7 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:27 am

Hey there! I didn't know you had deferred. What are you spending your year doing? Out of maybe a dozen people or so from my UG who got into HLS last cycle, I think only myself and another dude deferred. I love hearing law school stories from my friends already in while I work, drink, and chill for a year. :D

Mauve Dinosaur

New

Post by Mauve Dinosaur » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:28 pm

Just curious, why would you defer Harvard? Hoping for Yale?

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:25 pm

Mauve Dinosaur wrote:Just curious, why would you defer Harvard? Hoping for Yale?
No, I actually would have chosen Harvard over Yale for personal reasons. A once in a lifetime opportunity came up that I could pursue for a year, and Harvard is extremely gracious with its deferral policy.

Edit: btw my heart raced when I saw the new post on this board. thought it might have been some new classmates!

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:58 pm

Mauve Dinosaur wrote:Just curious, why would you defer Harvard? Hoping for Yale?
Withdrew from the YLS waitlist TO defer. Since you can't defer from getting off the WL (slim chance but still!) and I knew really wanted to work for a year and enjoy another year in NYC, it was a no-brainer for me to defer from HLS. I figured HLS will always be there, but my youth and time will not unfortunately.

Totally +1 to the excitement at seeing "3 post" haha. Is the timeline slower than usual this year?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:47 pm

Confused7 wrote: Totally +1 to the excitement at seeing "3 post" haha. Is the timeline slower than usual this year?
Not sure, but I might glance over at the HLS admissions board and see where the action stands.....

Okay, I checked..... JR1 is now called KB1... and it seems that they are right in the midst of the first set of interviews. KB2s = new classmates. Exciting.

4for44

Bronze

Post by 4for44 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:29 pm

Sorry to be late to the Party- Haven't been on TLS for a while. I'm deferred for next fall as well! Very excited!

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:57 pm

Alot of new people should be heading this way since KB2s happened today!

Do you all know a lot about the area around the law school? When you got your admissions packets last year, did it have information and resources for people with families?

I've read a few places that living close to the school in 1L is a must, but I don't see how it's possible given the COL around the school when you need a house...

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:33 pm

Checking in here, got my KB2 today. Good to have this one out of the way as the rest of the cycle unfolds.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:54 pm

MumofCad wrote:Alot of new people should be heading this way since KB2s happened today!

Do you all know a lot about the area around the law school? When you got your admissions packets last year, did it have information and resources for people with families?

I've read a few places that living close to the school in 1L is a must, but I don't see how it's possible given the COL around the school when you need a house...
First, congratulations!
The packet was pretty dense. You will be able to find housing (a house) for a family in the surrounding are (close enough to campus). Check the links in the opening post.

jbs017

New

Post by jbs017 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:04 pm

MumofCad wrote:Alot of new people should be heading this way since KB2s happened today!

Do you need a house house or just a multi-bedroom apartment? I spent one summer sharing a very nice three-bedroom apartment in a three-story house that had two other apartments. Rent was $2400.

That was in Somerville, which is unglamorous but fine. My place was about 10 minutes from the law school. As you get outside the immediate radius of Harvard, e.g. 10-15 minute walk, things are cheaper.

BTW, I'm another deferral from last year checking in.

yoiav

Bronze

Re: Harvard Law Class of 2015

Post by yoiav » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:55 pm

just checking in

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:08 am

yoiav wrote:just checking in
Nice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yoiav

Bronze

Post by yoiav » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:49 am

to my understanding, the financial aid treats everyone to the same formula. any idea on the specifics of that formula? i know it takes into account income, children, daycare and parents wealth......

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:01 am

yoiav wrote:to my understanding, the financial aid treats everyone to the same formula. any idea on the specifics of that formula? i know it takes into account income, children, daycare and parents wealth......
Hard to tell from the FinAid website. I would just call and ask.
http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... ytype.html

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:09 pm

hey, anyone who has decided definitively on Harvard: please post your choice here if you would like to be included

also, please start pulling apps (those of us gunning for CCN will love you forever)

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:59 am

Thanks for the housing advice! I went up and checked the place out, hung out with a 1L section, met with a Prof and I'm totally sold. I can't live in Somerville because the public schools are a little rough unfortunately and Cambridge is too expensive, but Waltham and Watertown have some nice single family homes we can afford. Its a little commute, but worth if for the yard and space.

Anyhow, I'm stoked!

And for Jam, I've withdrawn from all the non-peer schools or will do so today. I've got to stay in some places though to match fin aid packages if necessary.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

barca

New

Post by barca » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:04 am

hey! international student, deferred from '13. looking forward to meeting you all. what are you all planning to do until fall?

Tom in Ohio

New

Post by Tom in Ohio » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:02 pm

Checking in.

I'm definitely going to attend HLS, but I'm worried about the housing situation as well. I'm married and have two school-age children. I was hoping to get HRES housing, but none of the family units allow pets! I don't think I'd win "Father of the Year" this year if I told my children that they not only have to leave their friends and school, they can't take their cat as well!

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:31 pm

Checking in.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:38 pm

Welcome all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

caminante

Bronze

Post by caminante » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:20 pm

Tom in Ohio wrote:Checking in.

I'm definitely going to attend HLS, but I'm worried about the housing situation as well. I'm married and have two school-age children. I was hoping to get HRES housing, but none of the family units allow pets! I don't think I'd win "Father of the Year" this year if I told my children that they not only have to leave their friends and school, they can't take their cat as well!
Hey Tom, do you know for sure that none of the family units allow pets? As I was doing research I came across this list and see quite a few 3 bedroom options that say "pet friendly building" or "pet friendly apartments available." These apartments seem to allow one cat or dog under 40 lbs.

--LinkRemoved--

I have no idea if they would actually be available when the time comes to sign up for housing, though!

Anyway, just thought I would post this for anyone looking for HRES info.

Tom in Ohio

New

Post by Tom in Ohio » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:21 pm

Hey, thanks. I totally misread this...

"Unlike on-campus housing, spouses, domestic partners, children, parents, and siblings are allowed to live in HU Housing apartments."

...with the part about Terry Terrace and 29 Garden St. having HLS blocks to mean that those were the only two locations available for students with families.

I've now identified multiple 3br. apartments that are pet friendly for students with families.

Thanks again :D

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:17 pm

Can anyone comment on the reliability of craigslist for housing w/r/t to the Harvard area?

Also, when exactly does Fall 2012 start?

ETA: Sorry, can't utilize the search function right now.

Tom in Ohio

New

Post by Tom in Ohio » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:17 pm

The Fall term begins for 1L on Sept. 4th - a Tuesday. 1L orientation runs for four days before the start of the term. The current 1L orientation ran from Aug. 26-29, and the term began on Aug. 30th - also a Tuesday. My guess is that our orientation ( I'm still uncomfortable using a possessive in reference to HLS ) will begin on Aug. 31st.

Just guessing, though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”