Michigan Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
34%
March 29-31
44%
Both
3%
Neither
19%

Total votes: 104

ScrabbleChamp

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:45 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:Is the amount shown total or yearly??

Don't go off the amount on the ASW... Wait for the letter in the mail. That will explain everything and be 100% accurate. What is on ASW has been proven to be unofficial and not final in any way. WAIT FOR THE LETTER IN THE MAIL.

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:54 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
imjustjoking22 wrote:Is the amount shown total or yearly??

Don't go off the amount on the ASW... Wait for the letter in the mail. That will explain everything and be 100% accurate. What is on ASW has been proven to be unofficial and not final in any way. WAIT FOR THE LETTER IN THE MAIL.

Yes I know ;)

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:25 pm

Current 2L just popping in here to say that if anyone wants a massive "Ann Arbor Housing" PM that I put together a while back, let me know (I can also answer some specific questions on the properties/rental companies since I pretty much saw every place near campus).

See y'all at ASW soon :D.

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:31 pm

keg411 wrote:Current 2L just popping in here to say that if anyone wants a massive "Ann Arbor Housing" PM that I put together a while back, let me know (I can also answer some specific questions on the properties/rental companies since I pretty much saw every place near campus).

Would love one!!

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:32 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:
keg411 wrote:Current 2L just popping in here to say that if anyone wants a massive "Ann Arbor Housing" PM that I put together a while back, let me know (I can also answer some specific questions on the properties/rental companies since I pretty much saw every place near campus).

Would love one!!

Send one my way also, please!

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:58 pm

Does anyone know what's up with Lawyer's Club renovations, specifically, in regards to how noisy, intrusive, etc., the construction will be?

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:01 pm

Campagnolo wrote:Does anyone know what's up with Lawyer's Club renovations, specifically, in regards to how noisy, intrusive, etc., the construction will be?

They plan around this and write it into the contracts. For the new building, they did all of the big noisy stuff over the summer. Later, they did the moderately noisy things on weekends. During finals and a period leading up, they had a decibel threshold they monitored and fined the contractor. Except for the random annoyance, it wasn't too disturbing.

Since the LC renovations are all interior and it's a separate structure, I doubt it'll be a problem at all. The quad won't look like a highway construction project I promise.

Lady in Red

Postby Lady in Red » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:17 pm

blowhard wrote:
Campagnolo wrote:Does anyone know what's up with Lawyer's Club renovations, specifically, in regards to how noisy, intrusive, etc., the construction will be?

They plan around this and write it into the contracts. For the new building, they did all of the big noisy stuff over the summer. Later, they did the moderately noisy things on weekends. During finals and a period leading up, they had a decibel threshold they monitored and fined the contractor. Except for the random annoyance, it wasn't too disturbing.

Since the LC renovations are all interior and it's a separate structure, I doubt it'll be a problem at all. The quad won't look like a highway construction project I promise.

Oh good. This makes me happy. :)

JustE

Postby JustE » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Me too! :D

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:06 pm

blowhard wrote:

I admit, the looks of the place matter more than they should. Still, thank you for answering about the noise and such. I can really imagine being totally fed up with construction as stress levels rise.

planeride

Postby planeride » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:14 pm

I'd love to read this.

Do you have any views on Zaragon? Right now I'm looking into the new building. I know it's expensive but I'm not crazy about the other options I've seen.
Last edited by planeride on Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sammy841

Postby Sammy841 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:47 pm

I would love one also!

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:25 pm

Please & thank you. :D

Smumps

Postby Smumps » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:08 pm

Sorry to be annoying, going to ask this in the UMich thread also.

Is anyone planning on going to Penn ASW then Michigan ASW? If so, how are you doing it? For some reason, even though they are bordering states, the airfare is insane. Not sure if it's worth it to drive, or just take Amtrak. Any thoughts?

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:59 pm

Smumps wrote:Sorry to be annoying, going to ask this in the UMich thread also.

Is anyone planning on going to Penn ASW then Michigan ASW? If so, how are you doing it? For some reason, even though they are bordering states, the airfare is insane. Not sure if it's worth it to drive, or just take Amtrak. Any thoughts?

1. This is the UMich thread.
2. Michigan and Pennsylvania are not bordering states, although they both do border Ohio. They are all three very long (wide) states.
3. From what I know of the geography here, that's probably an 11-hour drive. :| Amtrak is also probably going to be more expensive than a plane.
4. I just looked up Penn's ASW, and, unless there's another I'm missing, it's two weeks after Mich's second. If you have a two-week time frame, I'd be really surprised if you couldn't find a cheap flight.
5. If your chief aim here is cutting costs, you could probably do megabus AA-Pit-Phil. Might take you a bit longer but I can't imagine it would cost anywhere near driving.

Smumps

Postby Smumps » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:10 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:

2. Michigan and Pennsylvania are not bordering states, although they both do border Ohio. They are all three very long (wide) states.
3. From what I know of the geography here, that's probably an 11-hour drive. :| Amtrak is also probably going to be more expensive than a plane.
4. I just looked up Penn's ASW, and, unless there's another I'm missing, it's two weeks after Mich's second. If you have a two-week time frame, I'd be really surprised if you couldn't find a cheap flight.
5. If your chief aim here is cutting costs, you could probably do megabus AA-Pit-Phil. Might take you a bit longer but I can't imagine it would cost anywhere near driving.

Sorry, bad editing/geography.

Penn's ASW is March 25-26. Mich is 29-31 unless I'm missing something. I would have a couple of days to find a cheap flight, but so far that hasn't happened. I'll look into the bus, thanks!

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:55 am

Smumps wrote:

Penn's ASW is March 25-26. Mich is 29-31 unless I'm missing something. I would have a couple of days to find a cheap flight, but so far that hasn't happened. I'll look into the bus, thanks!

Where are you trying to fly from? You'd have to go to BWI. Harrisburg has few flights and is always pricey. It's primarily used by commuting business people. It's also about an 8-hour drive.

Smumps

Postby Smumps » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:38 pm

blowhard wrote:
Smumps wrote:

Where are you trying to fly from? You'd have to go to BWI. Harrisburg has few flights and is always pricey. It's primarily used by commuting business people. It's also about an 8-hour drive.

I'm flying from Philly -- Isn't BWI Baltimore? I'm not sure what I'd be do in Maryland.

rosenbiems

Postby rosenbiems » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:18 pm

Last edited by rosenbiems on Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:32 pm

Smumps wrote:
I'm flying from Philly -- Isn't BWI Baltimore? I'm not sure what I'd be do in Maryland.

It is but from Carlisle it's about the same distance or shorter than Philly. It's the airport most people use. (I'm from the area.)

Joan Hollaway

Postby Joan Hollaway » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:08 pm

Hey future 1Ls! Congrats to everyone. If any of you are summer starters still looking for housing I'm planning on subletting my apt. It's a studio with airconditioning and is a less than ten minute walk to the law quad. If you're going to be here for any of the ASWs and would like to see it send me a PM. Price is very negotiable. Feel free to PM me with any other questions as well.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:35 pm

blowhard wrote:
Smumps wrote:

It is but from Carlisle it's about the same distance or shorter than Philly. It's the airport most people use. (I'm from the area.)

Um, what does Carlisle have to do with anything? Smumps, my bffl who is a Penn Law grad says the Philly airport is 15 minutes away by train, max.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:07 pm

blowhard wrote:
Smumps wrote:

Um, what does Carlisle have to do with anything? Smumps, my bffl who is a Penn Law grad says the Philly airport is 15 minutes away by train, max.

Haha, whoops. Read that as Penn State. Fail. Philly would make more sense. Sometime you can find cheap fairs to BWI and from there to Detroit. BWI and Detroit are both Delta hubs so if you fly in the AM it's usually dirt cheap. I've done it for $90 round trip before. <$150 is pretty normal.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:20 am

Is anyone else expending 98% of their energy each day on tempering excitement so that daily activities (work, school, etc...) can be performed? I can't fathom what those of you starting in the fall are going through; I only have 93 days before classes start and it is all I can do NOT to think about it.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:20 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Is anyone else expending 98% of their energy each day on tempering excitement so that daily activities (work, school, etc...) can be performed? I can't fathom what those of you starting in the fall are going through; I only have 93 days before classes start and it is all I can do NOT to think about it.

Uh... it's even worse when you hate your job and can't wait for it to be over.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”