Michigan Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
34%
March 29-31
44%
Both
3%
Neither
19%

Total votes: 104

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:03 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:I can see how that does pose a predicament. But, worst-case-scenario is that, at the end of the year, I have to report it is income. But, even if that is the case, it will essentially still be tax-free given my deductions and offsets will remove any tax liabilities I may have.

1L year sure. But if you get a BigLaw job 2L, you'll have $35K in income for the summer which will cover all of the standard deductions. (And, its unlikely you'll have enough to itemize being in school. I know I don't even though I always did before. Once you lose home mortgage interest, etc...)

If you don't have enough, you're looking at $3,400 in potential tax each year. That's why I paid the $40 for Turbotax and their penalty guarantee. If they're wrong and I get audited, I'm in no worse position as I pay tax and they pay penalties and interest.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:10 pm

blowhard wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:I can see how that does pose a predicament. But, worst-case-scenario is that, at the end of the year, I have to report it is income. But, even if that is the case, it will essentially still be tax-free given my deductions and offsets will remove any tax liabilities I may have.

1L year sure. But if you get a BigLaw job 2L, you'll have $35K in income for the summer which will cover all of the standard deductions. (And, its unlikely you'll have enough to itemize being in school. I know I don't even though I always did before. Once you lose home mortgage interest, etc...)

I'm married and have kids. My wife hasn't worked since we've been married and I'm not sure she is eager to do so. We will mostly be living on savings, scholarship money, and my disability benefits. I suspect that unless my wife obtains a VERY well-paying job, our tax liability will be minimal.

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:12 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
blowhard wrote:

I'm married and have kids. My wife hasn't worked since we've been married and I'm not sure she is eager to do so. We will mostly be living on savings, scholarship money, and my disability benefits. I suspect that unless my wife obtains a VERY well-paying job, our tax liability will be minimal.

That certainly helps. Make sure you check with your state though as well. They are all over the place how they treat scholarships. No use paying anything in tax you don't have to. For some they are really wacky, e.g. DE asks you to simply fill in numbers from your federal form, but you are supposed to subtract certain kinds of income they don't tax even though it doesn't tell you that anywhere. You have to look up each kind of income and follow those instructions.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:42 pm

First off, congrats to everyone that has already been accepted! I would really appreciate it if I could get feedback here. I'm tempted to send a LOCI to Mich updating them on my recent activities. I sent in my application in January and went complete about a week ago. However, I feel like the info I would send at this point may help the strength of my application. Would it be detrimental or helpful to send a letter at this point?

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:31 pm

Geneva wrote:First off, congrats to everyone that has already been accepted! I would really appreciate it if I could get feedback here. I'm tempted to send a LOCI to Mich updating them on my recent activities. I sent in my application in January and went complete about a week ago. However, I feel like the info I would send at this point may help the strength of my application. Would it be detrimental or helpful to send a letter at this point?

You might get better answers to this in the Mich applicants thread :)

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:33 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:
Geneva wrote:First off, congrats to everyone that has already been accepted! I would really appreciate it if I could get feedback here. I'm tempted to send a LOCI to Mich updating them on my recent activities. I sent in my application in January and went complete about a week ago. However, I feel like the info I would send at this point may help the strength of my application. Would it be detrimental or helpful to send a letter at this point?

Hahaha, I asked in that thread first and they directed me to this one :)

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:39 pm

Geneva wrote:
imjustjoking22 wrote:

Unless you cured cancer or invented the perpetual motion machine in the last six weeks, I get the feeling an LOCI sent so soon after you've gone complete will basically be ignored.
Last edited by DaftAndDirect on Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:39 pm

Geneva wrote:
imjustjoking22 wrote:

Really? Regardless, I'd give you the same advice they did, which is that it really depends what your updates are, but you really haven't been waiting long so I would be hesitant to pester them with something that didn't really add to your application.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:44 pm

I'm definitely getting a storage unit. Any recommendations? Otherwise, I'm gonna wing it.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:55 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:I'm definitely getting a storage unit. Any recommendations? Otherwise, I'm gonna wing it.

Yes. Devon Self Storage. Find a price for a place in Saline. Devon will match it. I'm paying $45 for a 5x10 indoor climate controlled unit (second floor...they have an elevator) which is like half of going. More importantly, if you decide to go there PM me and I'll give you my name. We both get a kickback...

Edit: I'd recommend even without the kickback. It's clean and well-priced (with the match).

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:11 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:I'm definitely getting a storage unit. Any recommendations? Otherwise, I'm gonna wing it.

If I could figure out a way to lug all my stuff across the country, I would so be doing this...leaving a nice flat screen tv, couches, my wonderful bed...ugh.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:20 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:

If I could figure out a way to lug all my stuff across the country, I would so be doing this...leaving a nice flat screen tv, couches, my wonderful bed...ugh.

Luckily my bed already lives in Michigan, by a chance set of fortune. If I were in California, I'd road trip it with you :cry:

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:24 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
imjustjoking22 wrote:

Luckily my bed already lives in Michigan, by a chance set of fortune. If I were in California, I'd road trip it with you :cry:

<3.

My life is going to be bleak without my tempurpedic. I'm already in mourning.

Postby 83947368 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:44 am

Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:47 am

Adm.Doppleganger wrote:
imjustjoking22 wrote:

Wait, why can't you lug your stuff? I plan on renting a uhaul from CA. I can't leave my flat screen or bed behind. There's no way.

It's a 37 hr drive.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:47 am

imjustjoking22 wrote:
Adm.Doppleganger wrote:
imjustjoking22 wrote:

Wait, why can't you lug your stuff? I plan on renting a uhaul from CA. I can't leave my flat screen or bed behind. There's no way.

It's a 37 hr drive.

Whats the price to move a Pods to Go container? I know they do it... You could also try something like http://www.uship.com/. Movers use it to fill in extra space on their loads. (Also, you could end up on Shipping Wars!)

Edit: Looks like about $400 for ~100 lbs of furniture from LA to AA. You'd pay that in gas to drive.

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:29 pm

blowhard wrote:
imjustjoking22 wrote:
Adm.Doppleganger wrote:
imjustjoking22 wrote:If I could figure out a way to lug all my stuff across the country, I would so be doing this...leaving a nice flat screen tv, couches, my wonderful bed...ugh.

It's a 37 hr drive.

Whats the price to move a Pods to Go container? I know they do it... You could also try something like http://www.uship.com/. Movers use it to fill in extra space on their loads. (Also, you could end up on Shipping Wars!)

Edit: Looks like about $400 for ~100 lbs of furniture from LA to AA. You'd pay that in gas to drive.

Ooh, thank you! I was gonna price that all out this weekend.

The place I'm starting out at is furnished, but maybe it's worth it to hold on to some stuff in case I find one that isn't...though moving is certainly simpler without tons of stuff, so that's probably the better idea.

Lady in Red

Postby Lady in Red » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:20 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:
Adm.Doppleganger wrote:
imjustjoking22 wrote:

It's a 37 hr drive.

I'm driving my car from Phoenix and bringing furniture with me. People do it all the time, but I've never done it before. The U-Haul will be way more expensive than I thought it would be. I'm trying to figure out if it would actually be cheaper to go with a mover.

Lady in Red

Postby Lady in Red » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:22 pm

You might just send admissions a brief email and just ask them. They're so friendly and helpful. They want your application to be as strong as possible and they know exactly what they want...so they'll let you know if they want more from you or not.

Postby 83947368 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:42 pm

Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 83947368 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:45 pm

Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:02 pm

Adm.Doppleganger wrote:
Lady in Red wrote:
imjustjoking22 wrote:
Adm.Doppleganger wrote:

It's a 37 hr drive.

I'm driving my car from Phoenix and bringing furniture with me. People do it all the time, but I've never done it before. The U-Haul will be way more expensive than I thought it would be. I'm trying to figure out if it would actually be cheaper to go with a mover.

Yeah I still don't get it. I'm doing it from SF which is probably close to 37 hours. Is it just that you don't want to drive that far? I'm looking forward to it.

When choosing between a 37 hour drive and leaving my bed, tv, and other stuff behind it's an easy decision for me. I can see the cost of such a trip being prohibitive but it seems like you just aren't stoked by the prospect of a roadtrip, which I mean is cool too.

I would be fine with driving (I'm coming from SF area too) but I don't have a car to take so that pretty much rules out a road trip- especially since I'm not planning on having one in AA.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:25 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:I would be fine with driving (I'm coming from SF area too) but I don't have a car to take so that pretty much rules out a road trip- especially since I'm not planning on having one in AA.

U-Haul? It may be a bit more expensive, but at least you'll get to keep all your things... Although, it seems as if you've already done your cost-benefit analysis. Me, though... I'll never leave my Tempur-Pedic behind. The only thing I've ever seen to make me want to get a different bed is the new adjustable Tempur-Pedic. It. Is. Badass.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:27 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
imjustjoking22 wrote:I would be fine with driving (I'm coming from SF area too) but I don't have a car to take so that pretty much rules out a road trip- especially since I'm not planning on having one in AA.

U-Haul? It may be a bit more expensive, but at least you'll get to keep all your things... Although, it seems as if you've already done your cost-benefit analysis. Me, though... I'll never leave my Tempur-Pedic behind. The only thing I've ever seen to make me want to get a different bed is the new adjustable Tempur-Pedic. It. Is. Badass.

I was thinking of doing the U-Haul situation. I has sooo much stuff.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:39 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:

I was thinking of doing the U-Haul situation. I has sooo much stuff.

I don't know everyone's financial situation, but it's not that expensive to pay a professional moving company to move you. I'm moving a 4-bedroom house 1200 miles and having the company pack/unpack everything for me, and it's only $4500.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”