Michigan Law Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
34%
March 29-31
44%
Both
3%
Neither
19%

Total votes: 104

JoeMo

Gold

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Post by JoeMo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:31 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Champion wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
Kurst wrote:Congrats JoeMo. Will you withdraw from Berkeley before the faculty review issues its decision?
I'm not sure yet. I know it's kind of selfish but it's the last school I applied to that I have yet to hear from so I kind of want to let it finish playing out just to see how it would've all played out. Regardless of their decision though I'm still going to Michigan. I already outperformed my numbers and that's great but I feel like after all is said and done my LSN profile might give some low LSAT high GPA kid next year hope and won't limit them to applying to the schools they'd be told on TLS to apply to.
Also, stay in it for the best case scenario, you get (in and) good money at Berkeley and possibly use that for Michigan.
If you've been awarded any money at Michigan, I would be sure to read their award letter carefully. It specifically says they generally don't like to "compete" (i.e. negotiate with you) for scholarships. What they give you is what they give you.
No, I don't have any scholly from Michigan but I also don't think I will get any from Berk. Even if I did, I'm not so sure about negotiating. I'm not even good at negotiating a pair of socks from a vendor at the State Fair nevermind scholarships from a top law school.

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:52 pm

JoeMo wrote:No, I don't have any scholly from Michigan but I also don't think I will get any from Berk. Even if I did, I'm not so sure about negotiating. I'm not even good at negotiating a pair of socks from a vendor at the State Fair nevermind scholarships from a top law school.
I think negotiating isn't the right word here. It's as easy as simply asking for a scholarship.

Champion

Bronze

Post by Champion » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:28 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
JoeMo wrote:No, I don't have any scholly from Michigan but I also don't think I will get any from Berk. Even if I did, I'm not so sure about negotiating. I'm not even good at negotiating a pair of socks from a vendor at the State Fair nevermind scholarships from a top law school.
I think negotiating isn't the right word here. It's as easy as simply asking for a scholarship.
Exactly, and the Dean Z is extremely accommodating that all you have to do is write and simple email saying you were awarded a scholarship at Berkeley and she will hear you out and take it into consideration.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:13 pm

Champion wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Exactly, and the Dean Z is extremely accommodating that all you have to do is write and simple email saying you were awarded a scholarship at Berkeley and she will hear you out and take it into consideration.
I'll keep this in mind but I doubt I'll be getting any $ from Berkeley if I even get admitted.

sandwiches5000

Bronze

Post by sandwiches5000 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:03 pm

hm. Waitlisted at Columbia. They won't notify me of their decision until the end of May when I'll be at orientation for Mich already... Not sure what to do.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:09 pm

sandwiches5000 wrote:hm. Waitlisted at Columbia. They won't notify me of their decision until the end of May when I'll be at orientation for Mich already... Not sure what to do.
I don't know what your #s are like or how Columbia plans to use its WL this cycle, but, as a former sittee on reserve at CLS, it's not something very many people can hope to ever get off of. And if a miracle happens, you can always withdraw, break your lease, pack the car and haul it out to NY.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:05 am

sandwiches5000 wrote:hm. Waitlisted at Columbia. They won't notify me of their decision until the end of May when I'll be at orientation for Mich already... Not sure what to do.
TCR here is welcome to Michigan.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:42 am

UnamSanctam wrote:
TCR here is welcome to Michigan.
Agreed. The minute I got the CLS reserve e-mail, I withdrew. Same thing with Penn. Not worth the hassle. Especially when I'd already be moved to A2 by when they start reviewing.

sandwiches5000

Bronze

Post by sandwiches5000 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Yeah. I agree. I think my heart is with Michigan. And my wallet. :) As I type this I'm actually wearing a U of M shirt.

Anywho, even if I paid sticker at both, Mich would be way cheaper. Plus, I grew up outside NYC and worked there for a while and would like to be somewhere new...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:16 pm

sandwiches5000 wrote:Yeah. I agree. I think my heart is with Michigan. And my wallet. :) As I type this I'm actually wearing a U of M shirt.

Anywho, even if I paid sticker at both, Mich would be way cheaper. Plus, I grew up outside NYC and worked there for a while and would like to be somewhere new...
Sounds like you've made up your mind. Welcome.

Nobody

Bronze

Post by Nobody » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:27 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:UMich offered me a really generous scholarship before I even asked for one. I absolutely love everything about this school, but I can't commit to it completely because I'm a stupid prestige/ranking-whore. Anyone else having this non-dilemma?
Oooh me. It's not necessarily purely prestige-driven, but I got into Penn as well with (thusfar) no money, and it's really hard to give up a school that I'm a little emotionally committed to even though Michigan is the better financial decision. I can't see how I'd take Penn with no money over Mich, so I'm really hoping I can get pleasantly surprised with aid.

That being said, "I had to go to Michigan over Penn because Michigan gave me such a nice scholarship" is pretty much the biggest waaaaah ever.

Lady in Red

Bronze

Post by Lady in Red » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:47 pm

JoeMo wrote:After a long discussion with the husband, I have made the decision. Michigan in May it is. It doesn't even matter if Berkeley takes me at this point. Michigan was my #1 when this whole process started and I was only doubting it because I was afraid for his employment prospects but he seems to be less worried about it so A2 it is. Gosh, it feels so good to be able to call this cycle a wrap!

I'm really seriously looking forward to meeting a lot of you at ASW and even though I'm sure some of you will keep your anonymity it will be a pleasure to know that I'll be spending 3 years alongside some truly great people and others not so great (myself included). :D :D :D
Hurray! I'm so glad you'll be with us! I can't wait to meet you and your husband in person!

Lady in Red

Bronze

Post by Lady in Red » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:52 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:UMich offered me a really generous scholarship before I even asked for one. I absolutely love everything about this school, but I can't commit to it completely because I'm a stupid prestige/ranking-whore. Anyone else having this non-dilemma?
This process makes us obsess over numbers until we're all stupid prestige/ranking-whores. :)

But I say...follow your heart.

Besides, 7 is a pretty low number. ;)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:07 pm

Lady in Red wrote:
This process makes us obsess over numbers until we're all stupid prestige/ranking-whores. :)

But I say...follow your heart.

Besides, 7 is a pretty low number. ;)
You know what's lower? #4. Screw the USNWR. If you're concerned with prestige, you should obviously go with the reputational rankings.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:37 pm

Lady in Red wrote:
JoeMo wrote:After a long discussion with the husband, I have made the decision. Michigan in May it is. It doesn't even matter if Berkeley takes me at this point. Michigan was my #1 when this whole process started and I was only doubting it because I was afraid for his employment prospects but he seems to be less worried about it so A2 it is. Gosh, it feels so good to be able to call this cycle a wrap!

I'm really seriously looking forward to meeting a lot of you at ASW and even though I'm sure some of you will keep your anonymity it will be a pleasure to know that I'll be spending 3 years alongside some truly great people and others not so great (myself included). :D :D :D
Hurray! I'm so glad you'll be with us! I can't wait to meet you and your husband in person!
Thank you! Very excited to meet you all as well. Now I can't wait for ASW and I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I can enjoy knowing that I'm going to Michigan without all the other pressures. :D

jpinjuv

New

Post by jpinjuv » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:24 am

Hey guys! Congrats on the achievement of getting into Michigan Law, it is an absolutely fantastic place to be. I'm currently a 1L and I'm working in San Francisco this summer, so I'm looking to sublet my apartment to a lucky summer starter! It's a cozy little studio apartment in a perfect location, about a four minute walk to the quad and about a minute walk to the closest gym. It's a really awesome place to be. Please PM if you would like more info, or if there is a summer starter thread that I am missing. Thanks everybody and congrats again!

Here's a link to some pictures of the apartment: http://www.flickr.com/photos/76053103@N03/

Bronze

Post by 83947368 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:57 am

Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lady in Red

Bronze

Post by Lady in Red » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:06 pm

Adm.Doppleganger wrote:Hey class 2015, I will officially be a member. I just signed a lease for a place in A2.
Welcome!!! :D

Lady in Red

Bronze

Post by Lady in Red » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:07 pm

Happy Valentine's Day, everybody! :D

ImageImageImage[img]

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:09 pm

Adm.Doppleganger wrote:Hey class 2015, I will officially be a member. I just signed a lease for a place in A2.
Congrats and welcome! Where are you living?

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:14 pm

YAY!!! Congrats! I love how everyone is starting to finalize decisions. This is so exciting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FavoriteColorGRUE

Bronze

Post by FavoriteColorGRUE » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:57 pm

Hi all! Super excited for ASW.

I'm getting ready to book my flight (for the 1st weekend), and flying out on Saturday afternoon is quite a bit cheaper than leaving Sun. -- but I don't want to miss out on fun times! Any consensus as to whether it's preferable to stay through Sunday?

Thanks!

imjustjoking22

Bronze

Post by imjustjoking22 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:19 pm

Just swapped to summer start! Who will be joining me?

Sammy841

Bronze

Post by Sammy841 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:26 pm

Does anyone know if the financial aid/need-based aid packages go out at the same time or as people are accepted? I have completed all of the forms and am just wondering when I should start stalking the FinAid office...

Lady in Red

Bronze

Post by Lady in Red » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:44 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:Just swapped to summer start! Who will be joining me?
I will!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”