Michigan Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
34%
March 29-31
44%
Both
3%
Neither
19%

Total votes: 104

Lady in Red

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby Lady in Red » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:07 pm

--ImageRemoved--

I want to be there right now!!!

ASW seems so far away...

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:46 pm

blowhard wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
6thbackstreetboy wrote:Is the bus system in AA pretty easy to figure out? I was going to rent a car so my wife and I can explore and look for housing during ASW, but being under 25 makes renting a car quite expensive. My quick weekend trip to Ann Arbor is already getting pretty pricey coming from the west coast. Still worth it though.

I believe that someone ITT said something about renting a car under 25 and being able to get some sort of a discount from your undergrad or even from UMich. (worth checking)

Also, I think you can get a similar deal if you have AAA but I was 25 a few years ago and things might have changed since.

Check your insurance company too. Mine (USAA) had a deal where it was waived. Also, check if your policy covers your rental...usually it does the same as if it was your car and the rental insurance is a rip off.

If you have a Visa/Master Card (credit card not debit) they cover your rental anyway! So DO NOT GET RENTAL INSURANCE The rental company will try to tell you that this is false but you can rest assured that it's not. I had a problem with Enterprise once because I refused to pay for it and at the time didn't have a car so no insurance, well we called up MasterCard and they were told that it was covered and where to find this information on the internet. So unless you're renting with a debit card, and have no insurance it's not necessary to pay the exorbitant rate for rental insurance.

6thbackstreetboy

Postby 6thbackstreetboy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:20 pm

JoeMo wrote:
blowhard wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
6thbackstreetboy wrote:Is the bus system in AA pretty easy to figure out? I was going to rent a car so my wife and I can explore and look for housing during ASW, but being under 25 makes renting a car quite expensive. My quick weekend trip to Ann Arbor is already getting pretty pricey coming from the west coast. Still worth it though.

I believe that someone ITT said something about renting a car under 25 and being able to get some sort of a discount from your undergrad or even from UMich. (worth checking)

Also, I think you can get a similar deal if you have AAA but I was 25 a few years ago and things might have changed since.

Check your insurance company too. Mine (USAA) had a deal where it was waived. Also, check if your policy covers your rental...usually it does the same as if it was your car and the rental insurance is a rip off.

If you have a Visa/Master Card (credit card not debit) they cover your rental anyway! So DO NOT GET RENTAL INSURANCE The rental company will try to tell you that this is false but you can rest assured that it's not. I had a problem with Enterprise once because I refused to pay for it and at the time didn't have a car so no insurance, well we called up MasterCard and they were told that it was covered and where to find this information on the internet. So unless you're renting with a debit card, and have no insurance it's not necessary to pay the exorbitant rate for rental insurance.

Thanks guys! Definitely some good info. I have an AMEX, and it looks like they provide car rental insurance as well. That's good to know in case my insurance provider doesn't cover rentals. I'm thinking I could even rent a car once we get to Ann Arbor, just for one of the days, so we can scope out housing and jobs without having to pay for every day we're there. It looks like there is an Enterprise pretty close to the law school.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:08 pm

Lady in Red wrote:lawquadpic.jpg

ASW seems so far away...

I promise you nowhere in Michigan looks like that right now. :lol:

Just got the faculty book in the mail even though I read through the electronic version last week. Thanks Michigan!

crooked

Postby crooked » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:13 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
Lady in Red wrote:lawquadpic.jpg

ASW seems so far away...

I promise you nowhere in Michigan looks like that right now. :lol:

Just got the faculty book in the mail even though I read through the electronic version last week. Thanks Michigan!

I was showing my brother pictures of Michigan and how pretty it is, and he goes, "That's bullshit. Show me what it looks like 10 months out of the year."

--ImageRemoved--

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:49 pm

Michigan gets cold, but this idea that 9-10 months out of the year are filled with awful weather is so off-base. We have seasons, which means it's usually only blazing hot June-August, but we have nice weather from the middle of April until mid-late September most years. Snow is usually around from late November until March/early April. This winter has been ridiculous though. There's been very little snow.

ETA: I should mention that "nice weather" for me starts at around 55-60 degrees. After winter, that's shorts weather.

crooked

Postby crooked » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:50 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:Michigan gets cold, but this idea that 9-10 months out of the year are filled with awful weather is so off-base. We have seasons, which means it's usually only blazing hot June-August, but we have nice weather from the middle of April until mid-late September most years. Snow is usually around from late November until March/early April. This winter has been ridiculous though. There's been very little snow.

ETA: I should mention that "nice weather" for me starts at around 55-60 degrees. After winter, that's shorts weather.

Not meant as a criticism - I'm a pretty big fan of Michigan too :)

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:04 pm

crooked wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:Michigan gets cold, but this idea that 9-10 months out of the year are filled with awful weather is so off-base. We have seasons, which means it's usually only blazing hot June-August, but we have nice weather from the middle of April until mid-late September most years. Snow is usually around from late November until March/early April. This winter has been ridiculous though. There's been very little snow.

Nah, I didn't take your post as criticism. Even if you had blasted Michigan I'd have to be awfully prone to fragile butt syndrome to care. Just wanted to post it for those in this thread who only know Michigan weather by reputation.

crooked

Postby crooked » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:17 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
crooked wrote:

Nah, I didn't take your post as criticism. Even if you had blasted Michigan I'd have to be awfully prone to fragile butt syndrome to care. Just wanted to post it for those in this thread who only know Michigan weather by reputation.

I love this.

jpinjuv

Postby jpinjuv » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:54 pm

Hey guys! Congrats on the achievement of getting into Michigan Law, it is an absolutely fantastic place to be. I'm currently a 1L and I'm working in San Francisco this summer, so I'm looking to sublet my apartment to a lucky summer starter! It's a cozy little studio apartment in a perfect location, about a four minute walk to the quad and about a minute walk to the closest gym. It's a really awesome place to be. Please PM if you would like more info, or if there is a summer starter thread that I am missing. Thanks everybody and congrats again!

Here's a link to some pictures of the apartment: http://www.flickr.com/photos/76053103@N03/

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 pm

repost from c/o 2015 thread:

Anyone heard any explanations for the high % of nonresponses for the latest salary info?

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:34 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:repost from c/o 2015 thread:

Anyone heard any explanations for the high % of nonresponses for the latest salary info?

Just a few things to keep in mind... Michigan does not report salary for those in business, academia, or PI. Also, there were a few grads in clerkships that didn't report salary info, but clerks are pretty much in the same pay range. The number that really matters is those in private practice reporting salary, which was just over 80%... Not amazing, but not ridiculosly horrible, either.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:34 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:repost from c/o 2015 thread:

Just a few things to keep in mind... Michigan does not report salary for those in business, academia, or PI. Also, there were a few grads in clerkships that didn't report salary info, but clerks are pretty much in the same pay range. The number that really matters is those in private practice reporting salary, which was just over 80%... Not amazing, but not ridiculosly horrible, either.

Also, that was the class of 2010. They did OCI in the high point of the recession.

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:06 am

crooked wrote:I was showing my brother pictures of Michigan and how pretty it is, and he goes, "That's bullshit. Show me what it looks like 10 months out of the year."

--ImageRemoved--

So basically, Narnia.

jfish

Postby jfish » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:25 pm

Just registered for the Boston Alumni Reception - I look forward to seeing some of you there!

planeride

Postby planeride » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:54 pm

jfish wrote:Just registered for the Boston Alumni Reception - I look forward to seeing some of you there!

Same here!

citygirl000

Postby citygirl000 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:15 pm

planeride wrote:
jfish wrote:Just registered for the Boston Alumni Reception - I look forward to seeing some of you there!

Same here!

Me too!

kedinik

Postby kedinik » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:35 pm

Michigan seems to be in a league of their own when it comes to courting admitted students.

Lady in Red

Postby Lady in Red » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:58 pm

The photo Crooked posted of Michigan in winter is so beautiful! I live in the Phoenix area now, so I'm (nervous but) seriously excited about snow!

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:08 pm

Me too!

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:46 pm

Stopping in here...haven't made it official yet, but I'm planning to do so very soon :D

kedinik

Postby kedinik » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:18 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:Stopping in here...haven't made it official yet, but I'm planning to do so very soon :D

Yeah, I'm waiting to hear back from 4 other schools before I put down a deposit but I'm leaning towards Michigan right now. Seems like a great school.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:52 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:Stopping in here...haven't made it official yet, but I'm planning to do so very soon :D

Don't worry. I've still put down two deposits and sent her Christmas cards and made plans to see her in March, but I'm still a little too antsy to be facebook official, too.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:08 pm

These pictures are SERIOUSLY making it hard to turn down Michigan. Never knew I'd be such a sucker for that type of thing =).

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:35 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:These pictures are SERIOUSLY making it hard to turn down Michigan. Never knew I'd be such a sucker for that type of thing =).

Same boat. But is is three years, where you spend it makes a difference.

Can't decide between California sunshine and Hogwarts

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”