Michigan Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
35
34%
March 29-31
46
44%
Both
3
3%
Neither
20
19%
 
Total votes: 104

User avatar
sanetruth
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby sanetruth » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:13 pm

Checking in. Summer starter. Conveniently going to be in Ann Arbor this weekend so hoping to look at apartments/sublets.

I'm gonna try and get some more info re: lawyers club replacements, too.

User avatar
jfish
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:29 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby jfish » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:47 pm

sanetruth wrote:Checking in. Summer starter. Conveniently going to be in Ann Arbor this weekend so hoping to look at apartments/sublets.

I'm gonna try and get some more info re: lawyers club replacements, too.


Summer starter here as well; I'm so excited to move to AA! Would be awesome if you could share any info you find out :D

User avatar
Hopefully2012
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:22 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby Hopefully2012 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:18 pm

jfish wrote:
sanetruth wrote:Checking in. Summer starter. Conveniently going to be in Ann Arbor this weekend so hoping to look at apartments/sublets.

I'm gonna try and get some more info re: lawyers club replacements, too.


Summer starter here as well; I'm so excited to move to AA! Would be awesome if you could share any info you find out :D

+1

Also, awesome avatar.

46nyc
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby 46nyc » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:55 am

sanetruth wrote:Checking in. Summer starter. Conveniently going to be in Ann Arbor this weekend so hoping to look at apartments/sublets.

I'm gonna try and get some more info re: lawyers club replacements, too.



Have you looked at the website yet?

--LinkRemoved--

I wish they had pictures of the interiors. It's impossible to tell what they are really like inside!

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:38 pm

Summer starter, as well, checking in. Congrats to everyone already in this thread.

Has anyone looked for rental homes in A2, yet? My situation requires a large home, and I really haven't seen any resources geared toward searches for homes as opposed to apartments.

User avatar
sanguar
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby sanguar » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:40 pm

What do you have? Wife, kids? I would start with a realtor for a rental. The homes that are nearest to campus seem to be owned by the "slum lords" that charge waaaaytoo much, thinking 4-6 undergrads will split the rent evenly.

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:53 pm

sanguar wrote:What do you have? Wife, kids? I would start with a realtor for a rental. The homes that are nearest to campus seem to be owned by the "slum lords" that charge waaaaytoo much, thinking 4-6 undergrads will split the rent evenly.


I'm an elder statesmen (see: 30-ish) that has a current home that I'll be selling and I'd really rather not get rid of all my furniture/toys/stuff/etc... I was going to be contacting a realtor, but do you know of any that specifically tailor to Michigan students?

User avatar
sanguar
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby sanguar » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:58 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
sanguar wrote:What do you have? Wife, kids? I would start with a realtor for a rental. The homes that are nearest to campus seem to be owned by the "slum lords" that charge waaaaytoo much, thinking 4-6 undergrads will split the rent evenly.


I'm an elder statesmen (see: 30-ish) that has a current home that I'll be selling and I'd really rather not get rid of all my furniture/toys/stuff/etc... I was going to be contacting a realtor, but do you know of any that specifically tailor to Michigan students?

Hmmm,none that tailor to my knowledge. We ended up buying because I still work in the area-husband is in school.

http://www.reinhartrealtors.com/mls_rentals/

The house we bought was listed by this realty company.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:08 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
sanguar wrote:What do you have? Wife, kids? I would start with a realtor for a rental. The homes that are nearest to campus seem to be owned by the "slum lords" that charge waaaaytoo much, thinking 4-6 undergrads will split the rent evenly.


I'm an elder statesmen (see: 30-ish) that has a current home that I'll be selling and I'd really rather not get rid of all my furniture/toys/stuff/etc... I was going to be contacting a realtor, but do you know of any that specifically tailor to Michigan students?


Storage is always an option. I pay $45 a month for a 5x10 climate controlled unit. It's stacked floor to ceiling but kept me from needing a larger place.

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:33 pm

blowhard wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
sanguar wrote:What do you have? Wife, kids? I would start with a realtor for a rental. The homes that are nearest to campus seem to be owned by the "slum lords" that charge waaaaytoo much, thinking 4-6 undergrads will split the rent evenly.


I'm an elder statesmen (see: 30-ish) that has a current home that I'll be selling and I'd really rather not get rid of all my furniture/toys/stuff/etc... I was going to be contacting a realtor, but do you know of any that specifically tailor to Michigan students?


Storage is always an option. I pay $45 a month for a 5x10 climate controlled unit. It's stacked floor to ceiling but kept me from needing a larger place.


Wow... that is incredibly cheap. Where I currently live, storage a 5x10 with an 8' ceiling runs $110 and they aren't climate controlled. Do you mind providing the name/website of the place so I can check out the availability?

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:34 pm

sanguar wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
sanguar wrote:What do you have? Wife, kids? I would start with a realtor for a rental. The homes that are nearest to campus seem to be owned by the "slum lords" that charge waaaaytoo much, thinking 4-6 undergrads will split the rent evenly.


I'm an elder statesmen (see: 30-ish) that has a current home that I'll be selling and I'd really rather not get rid of all my furniture/toys/stuff/etc... I was going to be contacting a realtor, but do you know of any that specifically tailor to Michigan students?

Hmmm,none that tailor to my knowledge. We ended up buying because I still work in the area-husband is in school.

http://www.reinhartrealtors.com/mls_rentals/

The house we bought was listed by this realty company.


Thanks.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:37 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
blowhard wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
sanguar wrote:What do you have? Wife, kids? I would start with a realtor for a rental. The homes that are nearest to campus seem to be owned by the "slum lords" that charge waaaaytoo much, thinking 4-6 undergrads will split the rent evenly.


I'm an elder statesmen (see: 30-ish) that has a current home that I'll be selling and I'd really rather not get rid of all my furniture/toys/stuff/etc... I was going to be contacting a realtor, but do you know of any that specifically tailor to Michigan students?


Storage is always an option. I pay $45 a month for a 5x10 climate controlled unit. It's stacked floor to ceiling but kept me from needing a larger place.


Wow... that is incredibly cheap. Where I currently live, storage a 5x10 with an 8' ceiling runs $110 and they aren't climate controlled. Do you mind providing the name/website of the place so I can check out the availability?


http://www.devonselfstorage.com/Ann_Arbor_MI/zip_48108/devon_self_storage/1394

They price match, so look at the places in Saline for the cheapest prices but you can get the closer unit there. Mines on the 3rd floor, but they have freight elevators and carts so it's no problem. Access from 6A/10P 7 days a week. Climate controlled unloading bay. PM if you decide to get. If I refer you, I'm pretty sure we both get a deal.

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:40 pm

blowhard wrote:Wow... that is incredibly cheap. Where I currently live, storage a 5x10 with an 8' ceiling runs $110 and they aren't climate controlled. Do you mind providing the name/website of the place so I can check out the availability?


http://www.devonselfstorage.com/Ann_Arbor_MI/zip_48108/devon_self_storage/1394

They price match, so look at the places in Saline for the cheapest prices but you can get the closer unit there. Mines on the 3rd floor, but they have freight elevators so it's no problem. Access from 6A/10P 7 days a week. Climate controlled unloading bay. PM if you decide to get. If I refer you, I'm pretty sure we both get a deal.[/quote]

Sweet... will do. Thanks.

User avatar
Champion
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:13 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby Champion » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:51 pm

So excited to check in on this thread as an accepted student! Not a summer starter, but I think I'm better off that way since I'm graduating in May and a little break would be nice! Hope to see everyone at the admitted students weekend.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby JoeMo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:01 pm

Champion wrote:So excited to check in on this thread as an accepted student! Not a summer starter, but I think I'm better off that way since I'm graduating in May and a little break would be nice! Hope to see everyone at the admitted students weekend.


I'm pretty sure that's the norm. If you're straight from undergrad, Dean Z gives you the break you well deserve.

kl10qm
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:09 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby kl10qm » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:40 pm

Just got in this morning...can't tell you all how happy I am to be going to AA in May!! :) I can't wait!

I just find it amusing that I'm going from one UofM to another UofM!

User avatar
Champion
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:13 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby Champion » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:15 pm

What's up with the on campus housing?? Seems like everyone on here is going the apartment route.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:17 pm

Champion wrote:What's up with the on campus housing?? Seems like everyone on here is going the apartment route.


There really isn't any. There is the lawyers club but it'll be closed next year for renovations. There is the Phid House (Law school frat) but it's not technically on-campus.

User avatar
Entchen
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby Entchen » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:21 pm

blowhard wrote:
Champion wrote:What's up with the on campus housing?? Seems like everyone on here is going the apartment route.


There really isn't any. There is the lawyers club but it'll be closed next year for renovations. There is the Phid House (Law school frat) but it's not technically on-campus.


The law school has reserved four apartment buildings, I think enough for ~150 students. You will need to arrange your own lease/find roommates, but they are going to have something during admitted students' weekend to facilitate that, I believe.

User avatar
Champion
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:13 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby Champion » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:22 pm

blowhard wrote:
Champion wrote:What's up with the on campus housing?? Seems like everyone on here is going the apartment route.


There really isn't any. There is the lawyers club but it'll be closed next year for renovations. There is the Phid House (Law school frat) but it's not technically on-campus.


:? ahhh so that's why there's so much talk about apartments. Thanks for the info! I'll be watching this thread heavily then, to see what everyone is getting into.

User avatar
sanetruth
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby sanetruth » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:24 pm

blowhard wrote:
Champion wrote:What's up with the on campus housing?? Seems like everyone on here is going the apartment route.


There really isn't any. There is the lawyers club but it'll be closed next year for renovations. There is the Phid House (Law school frat) but it's not technically on-campus.


Well I mean they're renting those 4 apt buildings, right? To me, the real draw of the lawyers club was just the niceness of it as well as its proximity to everything. The only thing Michigan seems to be salvaging by renting out these apartment complexes is keeping most of the 1Ls close together. For me, I think i'd be happy enough living in a nicer apartment that is equally close to the law school.

User avatar
Entchen
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby Entchen » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:27 pm

sanetruth wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Champion wrote:What's up with the on campus housing?? Seems like everyone on here is going the apartment route.


There really isn't any. There is the lawyers club but it'll be closed next year for renovations. There is the Phid House (Law school frat) but it's not technically on-campus.


Well I mean they're renting those 4 apt buildings, right? To me, the real draw of the lawyers club was just the niceness of it as well as its proximity to everything. The only thing Michigan seems to be salvaging by renting out these apartment complexes is keeping most of the 1Ls close together. For me, I think i'd be happy enough living in a nicer apartment that is equally close to the law school.


Dean Z told us yesterday that it is still undecided whether they will offer a meal plan, so there is that if you don't want to feed yourself.

(I don't live in the Lawyer's Club and I'm very glad I get to be in charge of my own meals, but some people don't want to cook. I have heard the food there is fine, but I have never tried it myself).

kl10qm
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:09 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby kl10qm » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:28 pm

Does anyone know anything about parking costs? I will be living outside of Ann Arbor so will be having to commute every day. Is there plenty of available parking around the school?

User avatar
sanetruth
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby sanetruth » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:30 pm

Entchen wrote:
sanetruth wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Champion wrote:What's up with the on campus housing?? Seems like everyone on here is going the apartment route.


There really isn't any. There is the lawyers club but it'll be closed next year for renovations. There is the Phid House (Law school frat) but it's not technically on-campus.


Well I mean they're renting those 4 apt buildings, right? To me, the real draw of the lawyers club was just the niceness of it as well as its proximity to everything. The only thing Michigan seems to be salvaging by renting out these apartment complexes is keeping most of the 1Ls close together. For me, I think i'd be happy enough living in a nicer apartment that is equally close to the law school.


Dean Z told us yesterday that it is still undecided whether they will offer a meal plan, so there is that if you don't want to feed yourself.

(I don't live in the Lawyer's Club and I'm very glad I get to be in charge of my own meals, but some people don't want to cook. I have heard the food there is fine, but I have never tried it myself).


Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does the lawyers club being closed mean that the dining hall is closed too? If so, what kind of meal plan would they even be offering?

User avatar
Hopefully2012
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:22 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby Hopefully2012 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:50 pm

kl10qm wrote:Does anyone know anything about parking costs? I will be living outside of Ann Arbor so will be having to commute every day. Is there plenty of available parking around the school?

The parking at most of the apartments I've seen close to campus are around $80-$100 a month. You can probably find cheaper things on Craigslist at someone's driveway. HTH




Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest