Michigan Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
34%
March 29-31
44%
Both
3%
Neither
19%

Total votes: 104

sanetruth

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby sanetruth » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:13 pm

Checking in. Summer starter. Conveniently going to be in Ann Arbor this weekend so hoping to look at apartments/sublets.

I'm gonna try and get some more info re: lawyers club replacements, too.

jfish

Postby jfish » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:47 pm

sanetruth wrote:Checking in. Summer starter. Conveniently going to be in Ann Arbor this weekend so hoping to look at apartments/sublets.

Summer starter here as well; I'm so excited to move to AA! Would be awesome if you could share any info you find out :D

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:18 pm

jfish wrote:
sanetruth wrote:Checking in. Summer starter. Conveniently going to be in Ann Arbor this weekend so hoping to look at apartments/sublets.

Summer starter here as well; I'm so excited to move to AA! Would be awesome if you could share any info you find out :D

+1

Also, awesome avatar.

46nyc

Postby 46nyc » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:55 am

Have you looked at the website yet?

--LinkRemoved--

I wish they had pictures of the interiors. It's impossible to tell what they are really like inside!

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:38 pm

Summer starter, as well, checking in. Congrats to everyone already in this thread.

Has anyone looked for rental homes in A2, yet? My situation requires a large home, and I really haven't seen any resources geared toward searches for homes as opposed to apartments.

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:40 pm

What do you have? Wife, kids? I would start with a realtor for a rental. The homes that are nearest to campus seem to be owned by the "slum lords" that charge waaaaytoo much, thinking 4-6 undergrads will split the rent evenly.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:53 pm

sanguar wrote:What do you have? Wife, kids? I would start with a realtor for a rental. The homes that are nearest to campus seem to be owned by the "slum lords" that charge waaaaytoo much, thinking 4-6 undergrads will split the rent evenly.

I'm an elder statesmen (see: 30-ish) that has a current home that I'll be selling and I'd really rather not get rid of all my furniture/toys/stuff/etc... I was going to be contacting a realtor, but do you know of any that specifically tailor to Michigan students?

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:58 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
sanguar wrote:What do you have? Wife, kids? I would start with a realtor for a rental. The homes that are nearest to campus seem to be owned by the "slum lords" that charge waaaaytoo much, thinking 4-6 undergrads will split the rent evenly.

I'm an elder statesmen (see: 30-ish) that has a current home that I'll be selling and I'd really rather not get rid of all my furniture/toys/stuff/etc... I was going to be contacting a realtor, but do you know of any that specifically tailor to Michigan students?

Hmmm,none that tailor to my knowledge. We ended up buying because I still work in the area-husband is in school.

http://www.reinhartrealtors.com/mls_rentals/

The house we bought was listed by this realty company.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:08 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:

Storage is always an option. I pay $45 a month for a 5x10 climate controlled unit. It's stacked floor to ceiling but kept me from needing a larger place.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:33 pm

blowhard wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:

Storage is always an option. I pay $45 a month for a 5x10 climate controlled unit. It's stacked floor to ceiling but kept me from needing a larger place.

Wow... that is incredibly cheap. Where I currently live, storage a 5x10 with an 8' ceiling runs $110 and they aren't climate controlled. Do you mind providing the name/website of the place so I can check out the availability?

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:34 pm

sanguar wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:

Hmmm,none that tailor to my knowledge. We ended up buying because I still work in the area-husband is in school.

http://www.reinhartrealtors.com/mls_rentals/

The house we bought was listed by this realty company.

Thanks.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:37 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
blowhard wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:

Wow... that is incredibly cheap. Where I currently live, storage a 5x10 with an 8' ceiling runs $110 and they aren't climate controlled. Do you mind providing the name/website of the place so I can check out the availability?

http://www.devonselfstorage.com/Ann_Arbor_MI/zip_48108/devon_self_storage/1394

They price match, so look at the places in Saline for the cheapest prices but you can get the closer unit there. Mines on the 3rd floor, but they have freight elevators and carts so it's no problem. Access from 6A/10P 7 days a week. Climate controlled unloading bay. PM if you decide to get. If I refer you, I'm pretty sure we both get a deal.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:40 pm

blowhard wrote:Wow... that is incredibly cheap. Where I currently live, storage a 5x10 with an 8' ceiling runs $110 and they aren't climate controlled. Do you mind providing the name/website of the place so I can check out the availability?

http://www.devonselfstorage.com/Ann_Arbor_MI/zip_48108/devon_self_storage/1394

They price match, so look at the places in Saline for the cheapest prices but you can get the closer unit there. Mines on the 3rd floor, but they have freight elevators so it's no problem. Access from 6A/10P 7 days a week. Climate controlled unloading bay. PM if you decide to get. If I refer you, I'm pretty sure we both get a deal.[/quote]

Sweet... will do. Thanks.

Champion

Postby Champion » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:51 pm

So excited to check in on this thread as an accepted student! Not a summer starter, but I think I'm better off that way since I'm graduating in May and a little break would be nice! Hope to see everyone at the admitted students weekend.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:01 pm

Champion wrote:So excited to check in on this thread as an accepted student! Not a summer starter, but I think I'm better off that way since I'm graduating in May and a little break would be nice! Hope to see everyone at the admitted students weekend.

I'm pretty sure that's the norm. If you're straight from undergrad, Dean Z gives you the break you well deserve.

kl10qm

Postby kl10qm » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:40 pm

Just got in this morning...can't tell you all how happy I am to be going to AA in May!! :) I can't wait!

I just find it amusing that I'm going from one UofM to another UofM!

Champion

Postby Champion » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:15 pm

What's up with the on campus housing?? Seems like everyone on here is going the apartment route.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:17 pm

Champion wrote:What's up with the on campus housing?? Seems like everyone on here is going the apartment route.

There really isn't any. There is the lawyers club but it'll be closed next year for renovations. There is the Phid House (Law school frat) but it's not technically on-campus.

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:21 pm

blowhard wrote:
Champion wrote:What's up with the on campus housing?? Seems like everyone on here is going the apartment route.

There really isn't any. There is the lawyers club but it'll be closed next year for renovations. There is the Phid House (Law school frat) but it's not technically on-campus.

The law school has reserved four apartment buildings, I think enough for ~150 students. You will need to arrange your own lease/find roommates, but they are going to have something during admitted students' weekend to facilitate that, I believe.

Champion

Postby Champion » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:22 pm

blowhard wrote:

:? ahhh so that's why there's so much talk about apartments. Thanks for the info! I'll be watching this thread heavily then, to see what everyone is getting into.

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:24 pm

blowhard wrote:

Well I mean they're renting those 4 apt buildings, right? To me, the real draw of the lawyers club was just the niceness of it as well as its proximity to everything. The only thing Michigan seems to be salvaging by renting out these apartment complexes is keeping most of the 1Ls close together. For me, I think i'd be happy enough living in a nicer apartment that is equally close to the law school.

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:27 pm

sanetruth wrote:
blowhard wrote:

Well I mean they're renting those 4 apt buildings, right? To me, the real draw of the lawyers club was just the niceness of it as well as its proximity to everything. The only thing Michigan seems to be salvaging by renting out these apartment complexes is keeping most of the 1Ls close together. For me, I think i'd be happy enough living in a nicer apartment that is equally close to the law school.

Dean Z told us yesterday that it is still undecided whether they will offer a meal plan, so there is that if you don't want to feed yourself.

(I don't live in the Lawyer's Club and I'm very glad I get to be in charge of my own meals, but some people don't want to cook. I have heard the food there is fine, but I have never tried it myself).

kl10qm

Postby kl10qm » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:28 pm

Does anyone know anything about parking costs? I will be living outside of Ann Arbor so will be having to commute every day. Is there plenty of available parking around the school?

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:30 pm

Entchen wrote:
sanetruth wrote:
blowhard wrote:

Dean Z told us yesterday that it is still undecided whether they will offer a meal plan, so there is that if you don't want to feed yourself.

(I don't live in the Lawyer's Club and I'm very glad I get to be in charge of my own meals, but some people don't want to cook. I have heard the food there is fine, but I have never tried it myself).

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does the lawyers club being closed mean that the dining hall is closed too? If so, what kind of meal plan would they even be offering?

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:50 pm

kl10qm wrote:Does anyone know anything about parking costs? I will be living outside of Ann Arbor so will be having to commute every day. Is there plenty of available parking around the school?

The parking at most of the apartments I've seen close to campus are around $80-$100 a month. You can probably find cheaper things on Craigslist at someone's driveway. HTH

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”