Michigan Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
34%
March 29-31
44%
Both
3%
Neither
19%

Total votes: 104

Champion

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby Champion » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:50 am

Is it necessary to have a car in A2 during 1L? I would be all for having a car if it weren't for the cold weather. My car might not fare too well in such conditions.

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:28 am

Champion wrote:Is it necessary to have a car in A2 during 1L? I would be all for having a car if it weren't for the cold weather. My car might not fare too well in such conditions.

I don't have a car, and it's fine. Almost everything I need on a daily basis is in walking distance. Every two weeks or so (or sometimes less, since I can usually make do with Sparrow), when I want to go to Meijer, I either get a ride from a friend or use zipcar. I'm not a huge fan of zipcar, but it is significantly cheaper than owning and maintaining a car of my own.

math101

Postby math101 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:07 pm

. . .
Last edited by math101 on Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:23 pm

math101 wrote:
Entchen wrote:
Champion wrote:Is it necessary to have a car in A2 during 1L? I would be all for having a car if it weren't for the cold weather. My car might not fare too well in such conditions.

I don't have a car, and it's fine. Almost everything I need on a daily basis is in walking distance. Every two weeks or so (or sometimes less, since I can usually make do with Sparrow), when I want to go to Meijer, I either get a ride from a friend or use zipcar. I'm not a huge fan of zipcar, but it is significantly cheaper than owning and maintaining a car of my own.

I don't have a car, but I worked out a deal where a friend of mine parks his car at my place for free and let's me borrow it whenever I want. I think, especially for 1L, finding the least stressful option for you is key. If that means not worrying about the upkeep for a car, then do that and take the bus (ride with a friend, do zipcar) to the grocery store. If, on the other hand, you're like me and find yourself needing to go to the store at random hours, maybe having a car is better for you.

I just got a car this week and will certainly bring it with me. I'm just horrified by the parking situation. I imagined there would be options close to the law school. I'm also new to winter driving. Do they keep the roads pretty clear?

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:33 pm

JustE wrote:
math101 wrote:
Entchen wrote:

I don't have a car, but I worked out a deal where a friend of mine parks his car at my place for free and let's me borrow it whenever I want. I think, especially for 1L, finding the least stressful option for you is key. If that means not worrying about the upkeep for a car, then do that and take the bus (ride with a friend, do zipcar) to the grocery store. If, on the other hand, you're like me and find yourself needing to go to the store at random hours, maybe having a car is better for you.

I just got a car this week and will certainly bring it with me. I'm just horrified by the parking situation. I imagined there would be options close to the law school. I'm also new to winter driving. Do they keep the roads pretty clear?

They do in general keep the roads pretty clear, but the parking situation makes a lot of sense when you think about it. It is a fairly compact campus that houses something like 30,000 undergrads in addition to the law school. Further Ann Arbor is a city of about 100,000 people. The availability of free parking just isn't feasible. There is a paid lot about 4 blocks away, but that is more expensive than renting a spot near campus for ~$75 a month.

Also, if you're in a hurry the parking tickets you get near campus are cheaper than the meters if you pay them with ~24 hours (end of next business day). They only end up being $10. That is cheaper than all day parking in Washington, D.C. where I'm from, but still more expensive than renting a spot.

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:37 pm

That's real. Maybe I'll end up renting a spot after all. The place I've found just seems too good to be true. It's inexpensive, relatively close and nice.

Thanks!

46nyc

Postby 46nyc » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:42 pm

Cute packet in the mail today about housing options. Ahhhhh I love Michigan so much.

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:09 pm

46nyc wrote:Cute packet in the mail today about housing options. Ahhhhh I love Michigan so much.

I WANT ONE! :lol:

46nyc

Postby 46nyc » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:19 pm

JustE wrote:
46nyc wrote:Cute packet in the mail today about housing options. Ahhhhh I love Michigan so much.

It's almost the same as what's posted on ASW in the housing section, but has pictures and a guide to the arts of Ann Arbor and more info on the Phid House and a yellow envelope to keep it all in! I'm sure you'll get it soon!

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:24 pm

46nyc wrote:
JustE wrote:

It's almost the same as what's posted on ASW in the housing section, but has pictures and a guide to the arts of Ann Arbor and more info on the Phid House and a yellow envelope to keep it all in! I'm sure you'll get it soon!

Hmmm.... I got the yellow envelope already... My letter said something about housing... Maybe they forgot to include mine? :(

Lol. Who cares. I still can't believe I'm in. :lol:

46nyc

Postby 46nyc » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:27 pm

JustE wrote:
46nyc wrote:
JustE wrote:

Hmmm.... I got the yellow envelope already... My letter said something about housing... Maybe they forgot to include mine? :(

Lol. Who cares. I still can't believe I'm in. :lol:

Not the plastic yellow envelope from the acceptance packet but a new paper one just for housing - you'll see! Yeah I still can't believe this is all real.

bfinlayson

Housing for Summer Starters

Postby bfinlayson » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:02 pm

Hi future summer starters!

I just wanted to post a housing option- I know it's early to think about it, but I wanted to get a jump on things.

I live in the first floor of a house with 4 other law students. We are looking to sublet our house for the summer.

Reasons our house is awesome:

5 minute walk from the law school. Sometimes I leave late on purpose because I want to be late to class but somehow I always get there on time.

Furnished- kitchen table and chairs, 2 brand new couches, coffee table, side tables, lamps, rugs.

5 parking spaces- easy in and out parking lot ( no double parking )

5 awesome bedrooms, all furnished. They each come with a full bed, desk, chair, dresser, bookshelf, closet. They are all pretty spacious, some of them have built in shelves.

1.5 bathrooms- big full bathroom, regular half bath.

Big kitchen- 2 refrigerators, a pantry, tons of cabinet space. Laundry in outside basement.

710 a month (negotiable)- includes water and heat...not that you need heat in the summer. We only pay for electricity and cable/internet. No AC, but you can put in a portable one if you want.

PM if you are interested! Happy New Year!

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:26 am

For those who got the housing packet, anybody know the prices of the places listed in there reserved for 1Ls?

46nyc

Postby 46nyc » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:17 am

thelawyler wrote:For those who got the housing packet, anybody know the prices of the places listed in there reserved for 1Ls?

I don't think the exact prices of each apartment are listed in the packet, just the range. But if you go to the Housing section of the ASW, and of course my ASW login isn't working at the moment (I feel like it breaks once a week), but they have those questions and one of them is what do I do if housing is full? And in the answer they say something about checking a spreadsheet, and if you click on that it'll open a PDF of all the apartments, their prices, and if they're leased yet or not.

JustE

Postby JustE » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:32 pm

46nyc wrote:
thelawyler wrote:For those who got the housing packet, anybody know the prices of the places listed in there reserved for 1Ls?

I don't think the exact prices of each apartment are listed in the packet, just the range. But if you go to the Housing section of the ASW, and of course my ASW login isn't working at the moment (I feel like it breaks once a week), but they have those questions and one of them is what do I do if housing is full? And in the answer they say something about checking a spreadsheet, and if you click on that it'll open a PDF of all the apartments, their prices, and if they're leased yet or not.

Here's the link: --LinkRemoved--

michmich

Postby michmich » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:03 pm

If any summer starter is looking for a nice 1br apartment for the summer, let me know. It's about a mile from the school - a 15 minute walk or a 5 minute bike ride - in a nice neighborhood with a big park close by.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:51 am

I'm back in. I don't know what I was thinking leaving.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:32 pm

JoeMo wrote:I'm back in. I don't know what I was thinking leaving.

:)

UConn over Hogwarts? What were you thinking?!?

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:49 pm

You weren't.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:56 pm

You got mesmerized by the monies. We forgive you.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:11 pm

Sorry guys, I had a temporary lapse in judgment because all I saw was dollaz. But this new year made me realize that I was going to regret that decision for the rest of my life.

I <3 U Mich! Forgive me please!

Fate to Fatal

Postby Fate to Fatal » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:03 am

A bit late to the party, but Boston-area summer starter checking in. I'm definitely down for a Boston MLaw c/o 2015 brunch if others are!

sandwiches5000

Postby sandwiches5000 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:38 am

I had a dream last night that I gave birth to a baby wolverine that proceeded to attack me afterwards. But that was only after I dropped her. I'm assuming this is Michigan-related. :shock:

larsoner

Postby larsoner » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:33 pm

Just got a Dean's scholarship (at least the Admitted student's site says so)!! Pretty unexpected.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:02 pm

larsoner wrote:Just got a Dean's scholarship (at least the Admitted student's site says so)!! Pretty unexpected.

You didn't expect to get a scholarship with a 171/3.9? Are you a convicted felon?

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”