Michigan Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
34%
March 29-31
44%
Both
3%
Neither
19%

Total votes: 104

jfish

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby jfish » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:51 pm

mblueyahoo! wrote:
crabcakes wrote:i am saaaad the lawyer's club isn't going to be open next year... :(

don't be sad future 1L--the LC is a good friend incubation chamber in the beginning, but that's the end of its benefit. its proximity to classes is overrated, unless you have 8 a.m. class. I pray that you are spared.

otherwise, you'll have the opportunity to live with a bunch of other 1Ls a few blocks away if that's your thing. you'll get kitchens, real bathrooms and functional showers.

you (probably) won't have undergrads pissing on your windows. lucky you.

anyway. not to bring the party down or anything. we just got finished with finals and it's a partay. oh yeah, congrats to all you ladies and gentlemen and i'll meet some of you on admit days. if you have any questions, i'd be glad to help or point you to better resources. cheers.

This made me feel better. Except now maybe I have to learn how to cook.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:34 am

I just logged onto ASW for the hell of it and just discovered that Michigan has upped my merit scholarship by 22.5 thousand without telling me! Seriously awesome! I didn't even ask, didn't send in any forms. In fact, I did not even say anything! Now if I am still allowed qualify for need-based aid like my previous letter said, Michigan might be too good to turn down. But it seems like this is the max scholarship they give out that is not Darrow? I'm guessing I'll be out of luck for need-based to bump it up more?

Has anybody else discovered this? I went from 45,000 in my official letter to 67,500 in my ASW right now. I really hope this is not an error.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:16 am

thelawyler wrote:I just logged onto ASW for the hell of it and just discovered that Michigan has upped my merit scholarship by 22.5 thousand without telling me! Seriously awesome! I didn't even ask, didn't send in any forms. In fact, I did not even say anything! Now if I am still allowed qualify for need-based aid like my previous letter said, Michigan might be too good to turn down. But it seems like this is the max scholarship they give out that is not Darrow? I'm guessing I'll be out of luck for need-based to bump it up more?

Has anybody else discovered this? I went from 45,000 in my official letter to 67,500 in my ASW right now. I really hope this is not an error.

I wouldn't get too excited if you are a summer starter. You went from $15k to $22.5k because the current award is for 3 semesters, not two ($7.5k x 3). The financial aid office sent out an email explaining your award amount will change in ASW to reflect the 3 semester award rather than 2.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:22 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
thelawyler wrote:I just logged onto ASW for the hell of it and just discovered that Michigan has upped my merit scholarship by 22.5 thousand without telling me! Seriously awesome! I didn't even ask, didn't send in any forms. In fact, I did not even say anything! Now if I am still allowed qualify for need-based aid like my previous letter said, Michigan might be too good to turn down. But it seems like this is the max scholarship they give out that is not Darrow? I'm guessing I'll be out of luck for need-based to bump it up more?

I wouldn't get too excited if you are a summer starter. You went from $15k to $22.5k because the current award is for 3 semesters, not two ($7.5k x 3). The financial aid office sent out an email explaining your award amount will change in ASW to reflect the 3 semester award rather than 2.

TBF, this is what people told me and then I got a letter with an increased scholly. So take it with a grain of salt but you never know.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:46 am

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:

TBF, this is what people told me and then I got a letter with an increased scholly. So take it with a grain of salt but you never know.

Well, I hope it actually means amounts were increased, because my amount increased in ASW, as well. But, pessimism is how I roll. :-)

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:47 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:

Hmmm that makes a lot of sense. I'll err on the pessimistic side, too haha.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:39 am

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:

Since you are a horse of a different color, I'm not sure if your answer will really mean much to the rest of us, but, did you get an updated entry in your Mailings section for the updated scholly letter?

Champion

Postby Champion » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:58 pm

Just checked "mailings" on the ASW, and it shows they sent out a housing application for the Lawyers Club...has to be a mistake that they mailed this out since the club is going to be closed next year. Or did I miss that it would be open now?

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:36 pm

Champion wrote:Just checked "mailings" on the ASW, and it shows they sent out a housing application for the Lawyers Club...has to be a mistake that they mailed this out since the club is going to be closed next year. Or did I miss that it would be open now?

Weird. It's not in my mailings section.

Also, I just reviewed my app to Michigan on LSAC for the first time after I clicked submit. I'm so glad I didn't look at it before... I would have freaked considering I found two pretty stupid typos. Don't know how I snuck my way into Mich.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:38 pm

Champion wrote:Just checked "mailings" on the ASW, and it shows they sent out a housing application for the Lawyers Club...has to be a mistake that they mailed this out since the club is going to be closed next year. Or did I miss that it would be open now?

Same. And if you notice, the dates on the application are from 2009.

Champion

Postby Champion » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:44 pm

Killingly wrote:

Same. And if you notice, the dates on the application are from 2009.

But they still chose to send it out though. Nonetheless, I'm guessing it means nothing then. And I know you won't need it in AA all that much, but no Air Conditioning tho...sheesh.

dinamo88

Postby dinamo88 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:48 pm

I want to preface this by saying that I'm almost positive I will be attending Michigan next year and couldn't be more excited about this prospect. However, having said this, is anyone concerned by the following:

https://www.law.umich.edu/careers/class ... stats.aspx

I haven't researched statistics for other schools all that carefully, but do these number look rather bleak to anyone else? I am in no way jumping ship, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this...

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:55 pm

dinamo88 wrote:I want to preface this by saying that I'm almost positive I will be attending Michigan next year and couldn't be more excited about this prospect. However, having said this, is anyone concerned by the following:

https://www.law.umich.edu/careers/class ... stats.aspx

I haven't researched statistics for other schools all that carefully, but do these number look rather bleak to anyone else? I am in no way jumping ship, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this...

It isn't that bad when you think about it... at least 42% of the class of 2010 is making at least $110k.

jfish

Postby jfish » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:14 pm

I just read over my acceptance letter and saw the enrollment deposit deadline, admitted students weekend, and orientation dates are all 2011 - as if I got last year's letter. Does anyone else have this?

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:39 pm

jfish wrote:I just read over my acceptance letter and saw the enrollment deposit deadline, admitted students weekend, and orientation dates are all 2011 - as if I got last year's letter. Does anyone else have this?

There were others that reported that issue... but, there was a corrective email sent out. My letter was issued after the correction, and mine is correct.

jfish

Postby jfish » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:58 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
jfish wrote:I just read over my acceptance letter and saw the enrollment deposit deadline, admitted students weekend, and orientation dates are all 2011 - as if I got last year's letter. Does anyone else have this?

There were others that reported that issue... but, there was a corrective email sent out. My letter was issued after the correction, and mine is correct.

Okay thanks. Do you think it's too weird to ask Dean Z for a corrected paper version (with personal note of course)? You know, like if maybe I wanted to frame it? :lol:

Champion

Postby Champion » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:44 am

Does anyone if Michigan gives stipends for ASW?

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:28 am

jfish wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:

Okay thanks. Do you think it's too weird to ask Dean Z for a corrected paper version (with personal note of course)? You know, like if maybe I wanted to frame it? :lol:

I don't think that is weird at all. I'm sure she'd be willing to oblige.

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:37 am

Champion wrote:Does anyone if Michigan gives stipends for ASW?

They didn't last year. They do subsidize the hotel rooms and feed you, though,so it evens out.

math101

Postby math101 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:13 pm

. . .
Last edited by math101 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

JustE

Postby JustE » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:10 pm

Joining the club... I need to play catch-up on the last 17 pages... Just logged into the ASW... Still in shock... This is crrraaaaazzzzyyyy....

Congrats everyone!!!

ETA: Just sent my request for the FB group. See you guys at ASW.

JustE

Postby JustE » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:35 pm

math101 wrote:Hi all and congrats on getting accepted to MLaw!

This is the first time I've been on TLS since school started (just finished my first semester) but wanted to get this out there for people who are looking/deciding. I have a wonderful 1 bedroom apt that I'm subletting for the summer of 2012 (it's so wonderful, in fact, that I'm staying here for all three years). Here's the details:

* 1 bedroom at Packard & Division (5 minute walk to the LS)
* utilities included (internet, electric, etc.)
* brand new AC (not central, but very powerful, and you will be super happy you have this in the summer as most places don't)
* $600/month
* flexible move-in/move-out dates

PM me if you're interested or have questions. And again, congrats!

Math can you comment on the parking situation for people who are planning on driving to campus? I've found a place about 4 miles away, but I'd hate to drive to campus just to have to walk for 20 mins... Thanks!

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:11 pm

JustE wrote:

This is the first time I've been on TLS since school started (just finished my first semester) but wanted to get this out there for people who are looking/deciding. I have a wonderful 1 bedroom apt that I'm subletting for the summer of 2012 (it's so wonderful, in fact, that I'm staying here for all three years). Here's the details:

* brand new AC (not central, but very powerful, and you will be super happy you have this in the summer as most places don't)
* $600/month

Math can you comment on the parking situation for people who are planning on driving to campus? I've found a place about 4 miles away, but I'd hate to drive to campus just to have to walk for 20 mins... Thanks!

There is no parking. You can park for free and bus in from the park and ride. Otherwise you're renting a parking space on Craigslist for $75-100 a month. The school's lots are just as far away.

JustE

Postby JustE » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:57 pm

blowhard wrote:
JustE wrote:

* $600/month

There is no parking. You can park for free and bus in from the park and ride. Otherwise you're renting a parking space on Craigslist for $75-100 a month. The school's lots are just as far away.

This is bad news... What's a park and ride? How far is it from the school? Distance? Travel time?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to see if staying 4 miles off campus is a good idea...

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:12 am

JustE wrote:
blowhard wrote:
JustE wrote:

* $600/month

I live about that far away. Its a big free parking lot where you transition to the free city buses. There is one on S. State St by Eisenhower. That bus runs every 9-12 minutes and takes about 10 minutes to get to the LS where it drops off at the door.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”