Michigan Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
34%
March 29-31
44%
Both
3%
Neither
19%

Total votes: 104

erv2107

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby erv2107 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:25 am

JoeMo wrote:
sandwiches5000 wrote:Haha... Well... I'm about 90% sure at the moment. Haven't heard from a couple of schools yet that I would need to before I made that decision. They're super reaches so most likely going to Michigan.

I'm sure we're not the only people paying sticker... trust me. I'd say the majority of people that attend do not receive scholarships... But yeah. Makes me wish I never got nervous on my LSAT and got those few points. -_- Worth the money. I'm looking into scholarships from outside sources now... Hopefully get a few thousand... Not too amazing but whatever everything helps.

BUT then again. If we did have scholarships would we know right away?

They say you don't find out until January. I think only those super amazing people like MoC get scholarship information this early on.

Mine showed up on the ASW a few weeks after I was accepted, then I got the letter.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:29 am

erv2107 wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
sandwiches5000 wrote:Haha... Well... I'm about 90% sure at the moment. Haven't heard from a couple of schools yet that I would need to before I made that decision. They're super reaches so most likely going to Michigan.

I'm sure we're not the only people paying sticker... trust me. I'd say the majority of people that attend do not receive scholarships... But yeah. Makes me wish I never got nervous on my LSAT and got those few points. -_- Worth the money. I'm looking into scholarships from outside sources now... Hopefully get a few thousand... Not too amazing but whatever everything helps.

They say you don't find out until January. I think only those super amazing people like MoC get scholarship information this early on.

Mine showed up on the ASW a few weeks after I was accepted, then I got the letter.

See: Super amazing people

sandwiches5000

Postby sandwiches5000 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:34 am

Lol. Well... 'grats to everyone who received scholarships. I'm not keeping my hopes up. :P

erv2107

Postby erv2107 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:44 am

Haha, I'm not super amazing though! Y'all probably have something coming your way!

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:51 am

erv2107 wrote:
JoeMo wrote:

+1... mine showed up on ASW a week after I was admitted and the letter came a week after that.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:54 pm

FWIW, I don't think I'm getting any scholly $. I think it's pretty obvious that someone with my numbers should just be happy to have gotten in and should not need any reason to attend. Regardless, I will be there unless I get full-tuition elsewhere and then really have to weigh them out.

Champion

Postby Champion » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:16 pm

JoeMo wrote:FWIW, I don't think I'm getting any scholly $. I think it's pretty obvious that someone with my numbers should just be happy to have gotten in and should not need any reason to attend. Regardless, I will be there unless I get full-tuition elsewhere and then really have to weigh them out.

Yea I emailed Zearfoss and she confirmed that I didn't get any money upfront. She wrote me this long email (really impressed at how much she cares, speaks volumes to the culture at Michigan :lol: ) saying that they would compete with any scholarship (need or merit) that I were to get from any peer law school. She said ended the email by saying "consider this an on going dialogue, not an end-of-story answer".

So just really push for money at other schools and then use it for Michigan. I'm hoping to use money at Berkeley to get some at Mich, Berkeley is generous from what I've heard after speaking with people with similar numbers. I also echo the sentiments of just being lucky to get in...but these schools will compete though.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:26 pm

Champion wrote:Yea I emailed Zearfoss and she confirmed that I didn't get any money upfront. She wrote me this long email (really impressed at how much she cares, speaks volumes to the culture at Michigan :lol: ) saying that they would compete with any scholarship (need or merit) that I were to get from any peer law school. She said ended the email by saying "consider this an on going dialogue, not an end-of-story answer".

So just really push for money at other schools and then use it for Michigan. I'm hoping to use money at Berkeley to get some at Mich, Berkeley is generous from what I've heard after speaking with people with similar numbers. I also echo the sentiments of just being lucky to get in...but these schools will compete though.

Clearly the "Champion" on LSN isn't you, mind PM'ing your stats.

I wonder if when they say peer schools they literally just mean anyone ranked similarly or higher? So like Berkeley to Yale? Or can we try to negotiate offers from other schools? Like say W&M or GW?

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:48 pm

JoeMo wrote:
Champion wrote:Yea I emailed Zearfoss and she confirmed that I didn't get any money upfront. She wrote me this long email (really impressed at how much she cares, speaks volumes to the culture at Michigan :lol: ) saying that they would compete with any scholarship (need or merit) that I were to get from any peer law school. She said ended the email by saying "consider this an on going dialogue, not an end-of-story answer".

I wonder if when they say peer schools they literally just mean anyone ranked similarly or higher? So like Berkeley to Yale? Or can we try to negotiate offers from other schools? Like say W&M or GW?

Pretty sure they mean rank. They aren't matching GW or every student would come in and be like...I have a full ride! Match it. Almost everyone I know had a full-ride at once safety or another.

Champion

Postby Champion » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:55 pm

JoeMo wrote:

Yea the champion on LSN is me. Wouldn't let me use champion for some reason though. Zearfoss said it would be all schools in the top 10, and then a number of the schools ranked between 10 and 20, or 10 and 25. It might vary from year to year.

Champion

Postby Champion » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:56 pm

blowhard wrote:
JoeMo wrote:

Pretty sure they mean rank. They aren't matching GW or every student would come in and be like...I have a full ride! Match it. Almost everyone I know had a full-ride at once safety or another.

One of my friends who got no money at Michigan but a good amount at Vandy and UCLA used that to get some money. Of course they didn't just straight out match it since their lower ranked, but it helps people go from nothing to something for sure.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:59 pm

blowhard wrote:
JoeMo wrote:

That makes sense, that's what I thought but just wanted to make sure.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:00 pm

Champion wrote:
JoeMo wrote:

Yea the champion on LSN is me. Wouldn't let me use champion for some reason though. Zearfoss said it would be all schools in the top 10, and then a number of the schools ranked between 10 and 20, or 10 and 25. It might vary from year to year.

The champion on LSN can't be you that's a profile from like 2006

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:01 pm

Champion wrote:
blowhard wrote:
JoeMo wrote:

One of my friends who got no money at Michigan but a good amount at Vandy and UCLA used that to get some money. Of course they didn't just straight out match it since their lower ranked, but it helps people go from nothing to something for sure.

Oh at some it'll definitely get you some $. But it won't get a match and GW isn't one of them.

Champion

Postby Champion » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:17 pm

JoeMo wrote:
Champion wrote:
JoeMo wrote:

The champion on LSN can't be you that's a profile from like 2006

Your right, I'm champion11. Makes sense why they wouldn't just let me use champion.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:25 pm

I got a scholarship from Michigan, but the letter states that they do not make a practice of "matching" other schools' offers. Does anyone know if this is typically the case? For some reason I was under the impression that Michigan actually did negotiate offers based on peer schools, but then maybe that was only for people who received nothing up front?

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:53 pm

Real Madrid wrote:I got a scholarship from Michigan, but the letter states that they do not make a practice of "matching" other schools' offers. Does anyone know if this is typically the case? For some reason I was under the impression that Michigan actually did negotiate offers based on peer schools, but then maybe that was only for people who received nothing up front?

They don't like to. Sometimes they will for the right person.

sandwiches5000

Postby sandwiches5000 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:55 am

blowhard wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:I got a scholarship from Michigan, but the letter states that they do not make a practice of "matching" other schools' offers. Does anyone know if this is typically the case? For some reason I was under the impression that Michigan actually did negotiate offers based on peer schools, but then maybe that was only for people who received nothing up front?

They don't like to. Sometimes they will for the right person.

From Dean Z's blog:
http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z ... 397d820295

"Looking only at the data through November 1, I was fascinated to see that, of the 502 people who had tried to access the admitted students site prior to being admitted, 73 did so just once; 273 did so 10 times or more; 50 did so 50 times or more; 6 tried 100 times or more; and one dedicated individual tried 215 times. I promise, though, that I will await the end of the admission season to look up identities. And if Mr./Ms. 215 turns out to be in the entering class, I’m going to present him/her with a customized T-shirt."

Maybe for this person.

lawlllllll. I think I definitely fall in the 50+ group... I get so bored at work.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:01 am

sandwiches5000 wrote:
lawlllllll. I think I definitely fall in the 50+ group... I get so bored at work.

I think I fall into the 10-50. I didn't start trying ASW until after I already knew I was in (I found out by e-mail) and it was like 1 1/2 weeks before I could actually get in (I thought I was being hoaxed)... so like 10 days X twice a day.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:46 pm

JoeMo wrote:
sandwiches5000 wrote:

I think I fall into the 10-50. I didn't start trying ASW until after I already knew I was in (I found out by e-mail) and it was like 1 1/2 weeks before I could actually get in (I thought I was being hoaxed)... so like 10 days X twice a day.

10-50 here, as well. It was only about 10 days from when I received the status checker to when I was admitted and able to access ASW, and I don't think I ever checked more than twice a day.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:45 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
sandwiches5000 wrote:

10-50 here, as well. It was only about 10 days from when I received the status checker to when I was admitted and able to access ASW, and I don't think I ever checked more than twice a day.

The best part is we fall into the "0" category because she only checked until November and neither one of us checked until well after that.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:48 pm

How does someone check 215 before Nov 1st? :shock:

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:56 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:How does someone check 215 before Nov 1st? :shock:

That's the craziest part of the whole story. Poor guy or girl.

crabcakes

Postby crabcakes » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:06 pm

i am saaaad the lawyer's club isn't going to be open next year... :(

mblueyahoo!

Postby mblueyahoo! » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:14 pm

crabcakes wrote:i am saaaad the lawyer's club isn't going to be open next year... :(

don't be sad future 1L--the LC is a good friend incubation chamber in the beginning, but that's the end of its benefit. its proximity to classes is overrated, unless you have 8 a.m. class. I pray that you are spared.

otherwise, you'll have the opportunity to live with a bunch of other 1Ls a few blocks away if that's your thing. you'll get kitchens, real bathrooms and functional showers.

you (probably) won't have undergrads pissing on your windows. lucky you.

anyway. not to bring the party down or anything. we just got finished with finals and it's a partay. oh yeah, congrats to all you ladies and gentlemen and i'll meet some of you on admit days. if you have any questions, i'd be glad to help or point you to better resources. cheers.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”