Michigan Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
35
34%
March 29-31
46
44%
Both
3
3%
Neither
20
19%
 
Total votes: 104

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby MumofCad » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:09 pm

blowhard wrote:
MumofCad wrote:Does anyone know if its possible to switch out of summer start? I was hoping to be ready to go by then, but I'm not sure I will be able to finish everything up by then/move my family, etc. I saw in the blog that its very difficult to switch from fall to summer, but it didn't say much about the reverse....


It's possible if you have a decent reason. This came up last year. Call the Admissions office. The early in the process the better.


Great thanks!

sealoquesea
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby sealoquesea » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:27 pm

also a summer starter. When should I get serious about finding housing?

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:30 pm

sealoquesea wrote:also a summer starter. When should I get serious about finding housing?


People are already releasing for next year. I leased for Aug in March my first year and a lot were already full. It happens ridiculously quick...I'd get on it as soon as you know you're coming. You'd find something....but it'll be pricier, further out, etc. Their are a lot less apts available for May start. You'll probably have to sublet for the summer and lease for Aug/Sep.

bkred
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:44 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby bkred » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:06 pm

Just got my acceptance package.
Should I send a thank you email?

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:21 pm

bkred wrote:Just got my acceptance package.
Should I send a thank you email?


You can...but totally not necessary.

bkred
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:44 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby bkred » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:49 am

blowhard wrote:
bkred wrote:Just got my acceptance package.
Should I send a thank you email?


You can...but totally not necessary.


Oh ok. Thanks.
Also, I got in by ED, so do I need to withdraw from other schools even if I haven't got a decision from them yet?
If so, how should I do it?
Last edited by bkred on Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
descartesb4thehorse
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:51 am

bkred wrote:
blowhard wrote:
bkred wrote:Just got my acceptance package.
Should I send a thank you email?


You can...but totally not necessary.


Oh ok. Thanks.
Also, I got in by ED, so do I need to withdraw from other schools even if I haven't got a decision from them yet?
If so, how should I should I do it?


Yes.
Immediately.

User avatar
sanguar
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby sanguar » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:07 am

Just send the other schools a short, polite email saying that you would like to withdraw your app. Send it today.

gregh224
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby gregh224 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:43 pm

I'm also an ED summer starter. Is there a good resource/website for finding summer sublets? I'm assuming that most summer starters do get sublets?

User avatar
BuckinghamB
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby BuckinghamB » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:18 am

gregh224 wrote:I'm also an ED summer starter. Is there a good resource/website for finding summer sublets? I'm assuming that most summer starters do get sublets?


Summer starter here too! I found a studio sublet on the off-campus housing website about a three weeks ago...that was pretty helpful, but it seemed like there weren't a ton of places that were available starting in May. I might have used pretty narrow search criteria as well, so that could be why. I still am looking for other places as well, though.

Edited for chronological accuracy.

User avatar
Hopefully2012
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:22 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby Hopefully2012 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:00 pm

From past UMich law TLSers, your proposed option is definitely be way to go. There's something on the listserv where people post when they want to sell things so maybe once we get our .edus, we'll be able to get news on sublets. It does seem like it's easy to get a sublet at far below market price during the summer and get a jump start at the best apartments for fall when they become available.

However, I'm not a big fan of the whole moving process so I want to get settled at one place where I can be happy (hopefully for all 3 years).

For TLSers who are in the same mindset as I am: I emailed 411 Lofts and their only availability for May to May is rooming in a 3 or 4 bedroom with undergrads. Not really an option. University Towers has a couple May-May availabilities but the photos make the rooms look pretty old and the building isn't very aesthetically pleasing.

I'm on the summer housing hunt as well and will keep you guys posted if I find any good options. :D!

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:00 pm

Hopefully2012 wrote:From past UMich law TLSers, your proposed option is definitely be way to go. There's something on the listserv where people post when they want to sell things so maybe once we get our .edus, we'll be able to get news on sublets. It does seem like it's easy to get a sublet at far below market price during the summer and get a jump start at the best apartments for fall when they become available.

However, I'm not a big fan of the whole moving process so I want to get settled at one place where I can be happy (hopefully for all 3 years).

For TLSers who are in the same mindset as I am: I emailed 411 Lofts and their only availability for May to May is rooming in a 3 or 4 bedroom with undergrads. Not really an option. University Towers has a couple May-May availabilities but the photos make the rooms look pretty old and the building isn't very aesthetically pleasing.

I'm on the summer housing hunt as well and will keep you guys posted if I find any good options. :D!


You won't be added to LawOpen until the first week of classes or so. A current student will need to act as a go-between.

User avatar
Hopefully2012
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:22 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby Hopefully2012 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:50 pm

blowhard wrote:You won't be added to LawOpen until the first week of classes or so. A current student will need to act as a go-between.

Thanks for the info!

Any tips on finding sublets for next summer? (sorry if we're far too eager)

Real Madrid
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 12:21 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby Real Madrid » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:02 pm

411 Lofts does look pretty sweet. I was just looking at pictures myself. :P

And does anyone know when we get our .edu addresses?

User avatar
descartesb4thehorse
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:05 pm

Real Madrid wrote:411 Lofts does look pretty sweet. I was just looking at pictures myself. :P

And does anyone know when we get our .edu addresses?


After you deposit? I enjoy having mine. I've so far used it for: 1. amazon prime 2. emailing a laywer so I seemed fancypants.

User avatar
Hopefully2012
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:22 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby Hopefully2012 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:02 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:After you deposit? I enjoy having mine. I've so far used it for: 1. amazon prime 2. emailing a laywer so I seemed fancypants.

Amazon prime is pretty sweet. Did you defer last year or did you already deposit? :shock:

ETA: Since this thread was started in Sept... probably deferral. Did you do anything fun during your year off?

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby JoeMo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:43 pm

Joining this thread, got an admission e-mail today. :D

TheOcho
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby TheOcho » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:45 pm

Anyone looking for a roommate or had any success doing so? I recognize this may be a bit premature as it is still early in the cycle.

User avatar
descartesb4thehorse
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:50 pm

Hopefully2012 wrote:
descartesb4thehorse wrote:After you deposit? I enjoy having mine. I've so far used it for: 1. amazon prime 2. emailing a laywer so I seemed fancypants.

Amazon prime is pretty sweet. Did you defer last year or did you already deposit? :shock:

ETA: Since this thread was started in Sept... probably deferral. Did you do anything fun during your year off?


Yup, I deferred. Nothing incredibly fun, but I did get engaged. Just bought tickets to England today to go see him for two months right before starting school (summer starter). So that made it worth it. :)

I mainly deferred because I didn't feel like everything was stable enough in my life to go to law school. It was all my own fault for applying late, but everyone I talked to said you have to be 100% when you start LS, and loose ends will only fray, so I decided to take care of some of that. I'm really glad I did, for obvious reasons.

User avatar
AmandaPB
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby AmandaPB » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:20 am

Michigan is definitely a possibility for me, and I just read about their football team and looked at pictures of Michigan Stadium and all that jazz and I am in AWE. LOOKS SO FUN!

User avatar
BuckinghamB
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby BuckinghamB » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:21 am

TheOcho wrote:Anyone looking for a roommate or had any success doing so? I recognize this may be a bit premature as it is still early in the cycle.


Although I'll be subletting a studio for the summer, I'm not sure what to do for fall yet...I'm definitely not opposed to having a roommate though.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby JoeMo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:05 pm

To whoever asked about ASW, if I can make it work, I'll probably go to the first one. I'm eager to get out to Ann Arbor. Shoot, if I could, I would go next week.

User avatar
AmandaPB
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby AmandaPB » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:59 pm

Yep, I'll be going to the first ASW, too, if everything works out as planned. I'm excited! My class schedule next semester is pretty kick ass and I only have classes Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I can spend some extra time in Ann Arbor.

User avatar
Hopefully2012
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:22 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby Hopefully2012 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:56 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:Yup, I deferred. Nothing incredibly fun, but I did get engaged. Just bought tickets to England today to go see him for two months right before starting school (summer starter). So that made it worth it. :)

I mainly deferred because I didn't feel like everything was stable enough in my life to go to law school. It was all my own fault for applying late, but everyone I talked to said you have to be 100% when you start LS, and loose ends will only fray, so I decided to take care of some of that. I'm really glad I did, for obvious reasons.

Wow, congratulations on your engagement!! The trip sounds very exciting. I spent some time in England as well and absolutely loved it.

JoeMo wrote:To whoever asked about ASW, if I can make it work, I'll probably go to the first one. I'm eager to get out to Ann Arbor. Shoot, if I could, I would go next week.

+1, I've seriously considered quitting my job and just bumming it in A2 until school starts... then law school tuition slaps me back to reality. :lol:

Woohoo for cheapest t14?

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby JoeMo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:28 pm

+1, I've seriously considered quitting my job and just bumming it in A2 until school starts... then law school tuition slaps me back to reality. :lol:

Woohoo for cheapest t14?


Haha... Yeah, that totally sounds like a dream.




Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests