Michigan Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
34%
March 29-31
44%
Both
3%
Neither
19%

Total votes: 104

JoeMo

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby JoeMo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:46 am

Does anyone know anything about the "family housing" option on campus? I don't hear much talk about it here on TLS and I'm wondering why.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:47 am

Champion wrote:Is anyone looking into these dual degree programs, or is law school torturous enough.

I'm waiting to try and see just how burned out I am during the first year to then try to apply to a dual degree program. Adding on an extra year might not be the best idea when I don't know how LS is going to pan out.

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:53 am

JoeMo wrote:Does anyone know anything about the "family housing" option on campus? I don't hear much talk about it here on TLS and I'm wondering why.

When I was researching last year, we ruled it out because it was pretty expensive, didn't have a year-round lease option (IIRC) and didn't allow pets. We ended up buying a home instead, which worked for us since I still work full-time while the husband is a 1L, we have two kids, and four pets. Pricing apartments out for us was also more expensive than just buying. We do plan to stay in MI after he graduates, though, so it was the best decision for us.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:57 am

sanguar wrote:
JoeMo wrote:Does anyone know anything about the "family housing" option on campus? I don't hear much talk about it here on TLS and I'm wondering why.

When I was researching last year, we ruled it out because it was pretty expensive, didn't have a year-round lease option (IIRC) and didn't allow pets. We ended up buying a home instead, which worked for us since I still work full-time while the husband is a 1L, we have two kids, and four pets. Pricing apartments out for us was also more expensive than just buying. We do plan to stay in MI after he graduates, though, so it was the best decision for us.

I wonder if that means it's not available to summer starters then? I was just thinking of looking into it for 1L year to make the transition down there easier and that way we'd have that time to become familiar with the area and decide whereabouts it makes sense to live after that. I mean, it's just the two of us and we don't have pets or kids so that definitely makes it a lot easier than your situation. The only time I really have to make my way to MI before the start of the school year is ASW and I'm not familiar at all with the areas to know commute times etc...

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:18 am

I'll be starting in the fall so I guess I don't have to worry about the summer start thing.
Last edited by JoeMo on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:21 am

JoeMo wrote:
sanguar wrote:

I wonder if that means it's not available to summer starters then? I was just thinking of looking into it for 1L year to make the transition down there easier and that way we'd have that time to become familiar with the area and decide whereabouts it makes sense to live after that. I mean, it's just the two of us and we don't have pets or kids so that definitely makes it a lot easier than your situation. The only time I really have to make my way to MI before the start of the school year is ASW and I'm not familiar at all with the areas to know commute times etc...

We live in one of the furthest corners of A2. It takes 20 minutes on a bad day to drive to campus :) We're right on a bus line and it takes 30 minutes tops for it to get DH to school. There really aren't any "bad" parts of A2--seriously.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:26 am

sanguar wrote:We live in one of the furthest corners of A2. It takes 20 minutes on a bad day to drive to campus :) We're right on a bus line and it takes 30 minutes tops for it to get DH to school. There really aren't any "bad" parts of A2--seriously.

Thanks for the info. Do you know how far the commute to Flint would be? That's most likely where my spouse will be working.

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:35 am

JoeMo wrote:
sanguar wrote:We live in one of the furthest corners of A2. It takes 20 minutes on a bad day to drive to campus :) We're right on a bus line and it takes 30 minutes tops for it to get DH to school. There really aren't any "bad" parts of A2--seriously.

Thanks for the info. Do you know how far the commute to Flint would be? That's most likely where my spouse will be working.

Hmmm, google says it's 54 miles, but you never know how long that can take in rush hour. We live near 23, so my commute times are lessened. If you live in downtown, it may add 20 minutes or so in traffic even to get to the highway. I commute to Toledo daily--also about 54 miles--and it takes me an hour when traffic is normal. I've made it quicker since the speed limit is 70 on 23. I've got a lead-foot.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:39 am

JoeMo wrote:

Bit less than an hour in good traffic. But heads up, driving along 69/75 (mostly hopping onto 75 from 69) during rush hour can be miserable sometimes.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:43 am

sanguar wrote:
JoeMo wrote:

Hmmm, google says it's 54 miles, but you never know how long that can take in rush hour. We live near 23, so my commute times are lessened. If you live in downtown, it may add 20 minutes or so in traffic even to get to the highway. I commute to Toledo daily--also about 54 miles--and it takes me an hour when traffic is normal. I've made it quicker since the speed limit is 70 on 23. I've got a lead-foot.

*Lightbulb* I know who you are IRL.

I will add - I would argue for living closer to school than to your spouse's work. They are only going to go to work for their shift, you might want to go into school for an event in the evening or for study group. You don't want the length of your commute to prevent you from going home for dinner or whatever.

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:45 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:
sanguar wrote:
JoeMo wrote:

*Lightbulb* I know who you are IRL.

I will add - I would argue for living closer to school than to your spouse's work. They are only going to go to work for their shift, you might want to go into school for an event in the evening or for study group. You don't want the length of your commute to prevent you from going home for dinner or whatever.

I know you, too :) Sup?

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:47 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:*Lightbulb* I know who you are IRL.

I think that's what we've decided on. We're going to live as close to the school as possible. Hopefully, in family housing so we don't have to bother with looking before we move.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:00 pm

Also, if anyone has questions about law school creating a long distance relationship, I can answer those questions/sympathize. My wife lives 9 hours away by car.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:02 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:Also, if anyone has questions about law school creating a long distance relationship, I can answer those questions/sympathize. My wife lives 9 hours away by car.

EEEEEESHHHHHH!!!! That's harsh. How often do you get to go out to see her? You're a 1L?

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:07 pm

JoeMo wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:Also, if anyone has questions about law school creating a long distance relationship, I can answer those questions/sympathize. My wife lives 9 hours away by car.

EEEEEESHHHHHH!!!! That's harsh. How often do you get to go out to see her? You're a 1L?

Once or twice a month and nearly every night one skype. Just like she wanted me to go to the best law school I could, I wanted her to keep her dream job. It sucks, a lot. In some way it has been helpful for me during 1L. It is much easier to focus after dinner when you don't have to deal with the temptation to just cuddle and watch TV.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:22 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:Once or twice a month and nearly every night one skype. Just like she wanted me to go to the best law school I could, I wanted her to keep her dream job. It sucks, a lot. In some way it has been helpful for me during 1L. It is much easier to focus after dinner when you don't have to deal with the temptation to just cuddle and watch TV.

Yes, of course, you can't be selfish. I hear that. Thanks for offering up the info. Good luck on your finals.

Lady in Red

Postby Lady in Red » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:43 pm

This is my laptop wallpaper right now. I just sit and gaze at it. :)

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:53 pm

^ Sooooo puurdy.

Someone here who is facebook proficient should set up a page for the Class of 2015. I would do it but I'm worthless on the new format(s) of facebook when it comes to setting up/managing groups or anything outside of simple messaging or wall posts.

I'll start searching for it frequently so you don't have to out yourself. :)!

We all know that we want to see the attractive faces of next year's class since it'll be an important part of the law school decision. :lol:

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:03 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:^ Sooooo puurdy.

Someone here who is facebook proficient should set up a page for the Class of 2015. I would do it but I'm worthless on the new format(s) of facebook when it comes to setting up/managing groups or anything outside of simple messaging or wall posts.

I'll start searching for it frequently so you don't have to out yourself. :)!

We all know that we want to see the attractive faces of next year's class since it'll be an important part of the law school decision. :lol:

I'd setup the Facebook page, but, (and get ready to laugh), I just created a facebook account Sunday for the first time, so I'm still clueless as to how the whole thing works. I will say this, though, Facebook and CIA must be one-in-the-same. 30 minutes after I created my account, a friend of mine added me because I showed up on his page before I added any friends. I have no clue how facebook knew to notify him, but they did. Freaky.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:17 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:I'd setup the Facebook page, but, (and get ready to laugh), I just created a facebook account Sunday for the first time, so I'm still clueless as to how the whole thing works. I will say this, though, Facebook and CIA must be one-in-the-same. 30 minutes after I created my account, a friend of mine added me because I showed up on his page before I added any friends. I have no clue how facebook knew to notify him, but they did. Freaky.

Even though I should be shocked by this, I'm not. I knew facebook ran the world when I read David Cameron asked Zuckerberg (less than two months after becoming PM) for advice on how to better connect with the British people.
Last edited by JDizzle2015 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lady in Red

Postby Lady in Red » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:18 pm

I'll do it tonight! :D

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:21 pm

Lady in Red wrote:I'll do it tonight! :D

Awesome, thanks!

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:21 pm

Just make sure to put a link in this thread so I know how to find it. :-)

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:26 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:

Just make sure to put a link in this thread so I know how to find it. :-)

Amateur. :lol:

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:34 pm

How have you balanced spending time with your wife (in person and on Skype) with spending time with law school friends? I'll be leaving my BF on the west coast and I'm not sure how often we'll be able to visit, but I love making new friends and I know I'll be miserable if I don't have close friends at school.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”