Michigan Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
34%
March 29-31
44%
Both
3%
Neither
19%

Total votes: 104

JustE

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby JustE » Thu May 03, 2012 12:26 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:I'm going to be homeless...should have found a place sooner.

So homeless.

Did you see this post? Looks pretty good...

Just saw this place on Craigslist. Shot in the dark but do 5 people wanna rent this place? It's pretty amazing and with rent of $4400 I think we could keep it to 5 people (or go with 6 if we wanted, just thought 5 to keep things less crowded). House looks well built and seems far enough from campus to avoid noisy undergrads. Pretty well furnished, each room as its own tv already.

Walking distance to the Law Quad, and I'm sure we could pull an Aug 15 move-in so we wouldn't miss any orientation.

--LinkRemoved--

Bueller? PM me, let's get a group going.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Thu May 03, 2012 12:29 am

TLSP,

Prime has a studio available for $700/month. Wonder if they'd let me swap to it from my 1 bdrm...

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu May 03, 2012 12:33 am

Killingly wrote:TLSP,

Prime has a studio available for $700/month. Wonder if they'd let me swap to it from my 1 bdrm...

Right now, they would.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Thu May 03, 2012 12:35 am

JustE wrote:

Right now, they would.

What? Really? With no repercussions for breaking my other lease (in the same building)?

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu May 03, 2012 12:42 am

Killingly wrote:
JustE wrote:

Right now, they would.

What? Really? With no repercussions for breaking my other lease (in the same building)?

It's the same building. You haven't moved in, so they don't really care. A few people I met at ASW have done it.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Thu May 03, 2012 12:47 am

JustE wrote:
Killingly wrote:
JustE wrote:

Right now, they would.

It's the same building. You haven't moved in, so they don't really care. A few people I met at ASW have done it.

Huh. Has anyone seen that studio in Forum?

Or, alternatively, if someone wants to get a 2-bdrm in that building, PM me.

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu May 03, 2012 1:16 am

I was saying that Prime will let you switch apartments. Just a FYI.

Good luck.

E

YesNoMaybe

Postby YesNoMaybe » Thu May 03, 2012 9:57 am

TLSP, we can be homeless together. Are you Fall start? I'm only partially worried about my housing sitch.

PS Anyone know if grant amounts are generally/(more often then not) renewed each year? Assuming one doesn't win the lotto or something.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Thu May 03, 2012 10:14 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:I'm going to be homeless...should have found a place sooner.

So homeless.

Wut?

smoneill88

Postby smoneill88 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:11 pm

smoneill88 wrote:
smoneill88 wrote:Just saw this place on Craigslist. Shot in the dark but do 5 people wanna rent this place? It's pretty amazing and with rent of $4400 I think we could keep it to 5 people (or go with 6 if we wanted, just thought 5 to keep things less crowded). House looks well built and seems far enough from campus to avoid noisy undergrads. Pretty well furnished, each room as its own tv already.

Walking distance to the Law Quad, and I'm sure we could pull an Aug 15 move-in so we wouldn't miss any orientation.

--LinkRemoved--

Bueller? PM me, let's get a group going.

Just spoke to the landlord and he is fine with starting a lease in August (didn't specify Aug 1 or 15, but assuming people would be happy with either).

This place sounds like a great opportunity for a group of 1L's. PM if interested or if you have any questions. With 5 people, rent is $880 each, 6 people it's $733 each.

Hey Everyone,

We've still got some room if anyone is interested. PM me with your name and email address. I'm going to be starting an email chain with all interested parties so we can get to know each other, make sure we're all on the same page regarding school and are like minded individuals.

S

va323

Postby va323 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:02 pm

Killingly wrote:
JustE wrote:

Right now, they would.

Prime let me switch from a 1 bedroom lease I had signed in one building to a 2 bedroom lease in the Forum without any fees. In fact they were glad to do it. They mentioned that there's a huge surplus of demand for the 1 bedrooms, so they basically know they can find a new lessee right away.

Smumps

Postby Smumps » Fri May 04, 2012 2:25 pm

What is the next step after depositing? I know we need to send official transcripts, but I don't see any information regarding that on the admitted students site.

Also, do we need to accept the loans offered to us, and if so, how do we do that? I'm assuming the letter that comes post deposit explains that, but wanted to be sure.

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Fri May 04, 2012 2:40 pm

Smumps wrote:What is the next step after depositing? I know we need to send official transcripts, but I don't see any information regarding that on the admitted students site.

Also, do we need to accept the loans offered to us, and if so, how do we do that? I'm assuming the letter that comes post deposit explains that, but wanted to be sure.

What up, Smumps? Have your college send the transcript to the Admissions Office at Michigan. Then, there's information on the mail and money tab of the admitted students website for how to apply for the Grad Plus loans. After you get the promissory dealio taken care of, you'll be good to go. You may want to call the Financial Aid Office just to double check that everything is done, but that's about how it works.

I'm glad you're coming to Michigan.

Cubyfan21

Postby Cubyfan21 » Fri May 04, 2012 2:45 pm

If any summer starters are looking for books for torts/contracts, feel free to PM me, as I have a case book and supplements.

46nyc

Postby 46nyc » Fri May 04, 2012 2:45 pm

Campagnolo wrote:
Smumps wrote:What is the next step after depositing? I know we need to send official transcripts, but I don't see any information regarding that on the admitted students site.

What up, Smumps? Have your college send the transcript to the Admissions Office at Michigan. Then, there's information on the mail and money tab of the admitted students website for how to apply for the Grad Plus loans. After you get the promissory dealio taken care of, you'll be good to go. You may want to call the Financial Aid Office just to double check that everything is done, but that's about how it works.

I'm glad you're coming to Michigan.

For fall starters - they told me not to apply for GradPlus loans until June 1st because if you apply before then, it'll expire before the semester starts or something like that. I'm not sure if you guys are summer or fall starters but just wanted to let you know!

Postby 83947368 » Fri May 04, 2012 3:04 pm

Last edited by 83947368 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

46nyc

Postby 46nyc » Fri May 04, 2012 3:17 pm

Adm.Doppleganger wrote:RE: GradPlus loans. I actually already applied (I do everything super early it seems) and checked in with the Financial Aid office. They told me they received my info but were holding off processing because they didn't want the credit check to expire. So I guess what I'm getting at that it's probably a good idea to wait until June 1st but if you do or already have applied for them, it's okay too.

Oh, awesome, thanks for the info!

Postby 83947368 » Fri May 04, 2012 3:31 pm

Last edited by 83947368 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

YesNoMaybe

Postby YesNoMaybe » Fri May 04, 2012 9:35 pm

Is the opportunity to negotiate scholly pretty much over once we deposit?

And does anyone know the grant situation? Fair to assume amounts are award every year?

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Fri May 04, 2012 9:39 pm

YesNoMaybe wrote:Is the opportunity to negotiate scholly pretty much over once we deposit?

And does anyone know the grant situation? Fair to assume amounts are award every year?

I would suppose that if you're double deposited that it might give you some leverage, but as a general rule Michigan doesn't negotiate scholarship offers. Good luck, though!

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:55 pm

YesNoMaybe wrote:Is the opportunity to negotiate scholly pretty much over once we deposit?

Ask admissions/financial aid.

cylon_clone

Postby cylon_clone » Sat May 05, 2012 5:50 pm

Michigan seems to be extremely strict when it comes to negotiating scholarships (if they've already given you one). I had several schools offer me more scholarship money (all in t25, some t14) but Michigan didn't budge. This was weeks before the deposit due date. But, if you've already submitted a seat deposit then schools take that as your intent to attend. They probably wouldn't be receptive to you trying to squeeze more money out of them.

As far as grants - if you're talking about merit grants then yes, they'll be the same each year (barring stips). If you're talking need-based grants, then the amount fluctuates according to changes in income.

gotta go watch the Kentucky Derby now.

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Sat May 05, 2012 8:49 pm

I was accepted late, so could anyone tell me a bit about grants or link me to a page where it was talked about? I just filled out my preliminary form and was told I wasn't eligible for grants, and I'm wondering if that appeal box is effective in getting through to the aid office? I'm loving everything about Michigan, but I've got nearly $40k from undergrad, was a Pell grant recipient and have no assets, so from the brief questionnaire I'm kind of confused and concerned about being considered ineligible without them seeing my finances. I've got a nice scholarship a year ($8k), but without any type of need based aid it's going to be hard for me to justify spending a lot more at Mich. over my other option at this point. I'm wondering if I should make a mention of this in that letter or not as I'm not really trying to negotiate my scholarship up as much as I'm trying to see if I can get Mich. to recognize just how broke I am as my UG and other schools have :lol:

Also, are the merit based grants and scholarships synonymous? If not, does being turned down for grants (at least in the prelim. stage) also preclude you from being considered for other grants?

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Sat May 05, 2012 10:18 pm

hyakku wrote:I was accepted late, so could anyone tell me a bit about grants or link me to a page where it was talked about? I just filled out my preliminary form and was told I wasn't eligible for grants, and I'm wondering if that appeal box is effective in getting through to the aid office? I'm loving everything about Michigan, but I've got nearly $40k from undergrad, was a Pell grant recipient and have no assets, so from the brief questionnaire I'm kind of confused and concerned about being considered ineligible without them seeing my finances. I've got a nice scholarship a year ($8k), but without any type of need based aid it's going to be hard for me to justify spending a lot more at Mich. over my other option at this point. I'm wondering if I should make a mention of this in that letter or not as I'm not really trying to negotiate my scholarship up as much as I'm trying to see if I can get Mich. to recognize just how broke I am as my UG and other schools have :lol:

Also, are the merit based grants and scholarships synonymous? If not, does being turned down for grants (at least in the prelim. stage) also preclude you from being considered for other grants?

That page said I was ineligible for grants as well. I tried to negotiate by appealing, but they just basically wrote me an email to say I don't qualify. In undergrad, I maxed out Pell grants and received a total of about 200k in grants, so I'd say I was pretty high on the need scale. However, I think because of my merit scholarship at Michigan, they just auto-dinged me for need-based. Even after I emailed my other offers ($$$ at another T14) they still refused to budge.

cylon_clone

Postby cylon_clone » Sun May 06, 2012 10:40 am

thelawyler wrote:
hyakku wrote:I was accepted late, so could anyone tell me a bit about grants or link me to a page where it was talked about? I just filled out my preliminary form and was told I wasn't eligible for grants, and I'm wondering if that appeal box is effective in getting through to the aid office? I'm loving everything about Michigan, but I've got nearly $40k from undergrad, was a Pell grant recipient and have no assets, so from the brief questionnaire I'm kind of confused and concerned about being considered ineligible without them seeing my finances. I've got a nice scholarship a year ($8k), but without any type of need based aid it's going to be hard for me to justify spending a lot more at Mich. over my other option at this point. I'm wondering if I should make a mention of this in that letter or not as I'm not really trying to negotiate my scholarship up as much as I'm trying to see if I can get Mich. to recognize just how broke I am as my UG and other schools have :lol:

That page said I was ineligible for grants as well. I tried to negotiate by appealing, but they just basically wrote me an email to say I don't qualify. In undergrad, I maxed out Pell grants and received a total of about 200k in grants, so I'd say I was pretty high on the need scale. However, I think because of my merit scholarship at Michigan, they just auto-dinged me for need-based. Even after I emailed my other offers ($$$ at another T14) they still refused to budge.

I'm confused with how Michigan determines who is eligible for need-based grants as well. Do they even look at FAFSA or Need Access?

I'm in the same boat - filled out that form and the appeal section but was still denied a need-based grant. I received Pell Grants, etc. during undergrad. No assets. My parents will not be helping at all and aren't rich by any means. I emailed the finaid office trying to further explain the situation. Still got nill in need. Berkeley and Georgetown offered me more money in need-based grants alone than Michigan eventually awarded in merit.

I don't think having a merit-based grant automatically excludes you from a need-based grant. Michigan had already disqualified me from need-based grants before I sent them competing scholarships offers and was awarded a merit grant/scholarship.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”