Michigan Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
34%
March 29-31
44%
Both
3%
Neither
19%

Total votes: 104

ScrabbleChamp

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:50 pm

Killingly wrote:
planeride wrote:
Killingly wrote:Choosing my uniqname and crazy password is going to be interesting.

I hated my UG username, a weird combination of name/initials that people always spelled wrong. No joke, I spent 20 minutes trying out different uniqnames to avoid this problem...

Yeah, I was glad I finally found a normally looking name to use. If they say it's gonna be "widely published" then I want it too look good.

Oh, and you say you don't want us to choose words for our password? Well you can suck it, M!ch.IG@N.

Killingly's password: OUTED!

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:52 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Killingly wrote:
planeride wrote:
Killingly wrote:Choosing my uniqname and crazy password is going to be interesting.

I hated my UG username, a weird combination of name/initials that people always spelled wrong. No joke, I spent 20 minutes trying out different uniqnames to avoid this problem...

Yeah, I was glad I finally found a normally looking name to use. If they say it's gonna be "widely published" then I want it too look good.

Oh, and you say you don't want us to choose words for our password? Well you can suck it, M!ch.IG@N.

Killingly's password: OUTED!

NOOOOOOO

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:57 pm

I can't decide between Mich w/54k and USC w/120k. I think it's actually starting to drive me crazy.

bannanagram

Postby bannanagram » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:07 pm

Killingly wrote:
planeride wrote:

Wise decision. It basically takes an act of Congress to get your uniquename changed. I know someone who was a Mich undergrad and now works for the University. His uniquename is a rather unprofessional sounding version of his name and he's stuck with it.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:13 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:I can't decide between Mich w/54k and USC w/120k. I think it's actually starting to drive me crazy.

What are you looking for in a school and where are you from? If you want to ask any more detailed questions about Michigan that you don't feel comfortable asking on the board (or just your general concerns of choosing $$$$ or a T10), feel free to PM me.

46nyc

Postby 46nyc » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:16 pm

bannanagram wrote:
Killingly wrote:
planeride wrote:

Wise decision. It basically takes an act of Congress to get your uniquename changed. I know someone who was a Mich undergrad and now works for the University. His uniquename is a rather unprofessional sounding version of his name and he's stuck with it.

Do you guys think it's professional enough to use your first name and a couple numbers as your uniqname? Especially if your last name is extremely hard to spell and to pronounce and you're planning on changing it as soon as you get married and never use it ever again?

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:20 pm

I don't think you can use numbers, but I could be wrong. If you're planning on changing your name, why not incorporate it in the uniqname instead?

Question, what's a good bank to use out in Michigan? Mine is regional and does not exist out there.

46nyc

Postby 46nyc » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:35 pm

Killingly wrote:I don't think you can use numbers, but I could be wrong. If you're planning on changing your name, why not incorporate it in the uniqname instead?

Question, what's a good bank to use out in Michigan? Mine is regional and does not exist out there.

Thanks! I didn't know that about the numbers. The last name is an issue to be resolved in the next five years, haha, so we'll see how that goes...

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:47 pm

Killingly wrote:I don't think you can use numbers, but I could be wrong. If you're planning on changing your name, why not incorporate it in the uniqname instead?

Chase and Bank of America are the two biggest national banks here. There is also a credit union if that's your thing. Also, for anyone else who cares about this: there is no Wells Fargo here or for at least 50 miles. It's a PITA, so if you have them, I'd suggest changing banks or setting something up temporarily.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:50 pm

keg411 wrote:

Chase and Bank of America are the two biggest national banks here. There is also a credit union if that's your thing. Also, for anyone else who cares about this: there is no Wells Fargo here or for at least 50 miles. It's a PITA, so if you have them, I'd suggest changing banks or setting something up temporarily.

Thanks! Figured I'd have to switch to a big bank anyway.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:49 am

Killingly wrote:
keg411 wrote:

Thanks! Figured I'd have to switch to a big bank anyway.

There's a bank that you can join your UM ID card and use it as your ATM card.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:33 am

If my girlfriend picked her school email with my last name, I'd freak out a little even though we've talked about marriage a number of times. haha

I use Schwab and don't have any headaches finding banks because you can use any banks' ATMs anywhere for free (it's great for overseas travel as well). It's a good option if you want to stay with your regional bank and still have access to your cash from the convenience of big bank ATMs.

Funding a Schwab account can be tricky because you have to either direct deposit to your account, e-transfer/wire money from an account at a brick and mortar bank, use a cell phone app to deposit checks, or go to a brokerage office and write them a check from your regional bank. It's kind of a pain because their investment offices don't deal with cash at all (understandably so). Oh, you also get a tiny bit of interest on your checking account balance which is nice and access to a brokerage account in case you want to start dabbling in equities trading.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:11 am

JoeMo wrote:There's a bank that you can join your UM ID card and use it as your ATM card.

That's the credit union I mentioned.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:54 pm

keg411 wrote:
JoeMo wrote:There's a bank that you can join your UM ID card and use it as your ATM card.

Really? Because it's called TCF Bank and it is not a credit union.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:41 pm

Can anyone else not log on to ASW?

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:55 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:

If my girlfriend picked her school email with my last name, I'd freak out a little even though we've talked about marriage a number of times. haha

I use Schwab and don't have any headaches finding banks because you can use any banks' ATMs anywhere for free (it's great for overseas travel as well). It's a good option if you want to stay with your regional bank and still have access to your cash from the convenience of big bank ATMs.

Funding a Schwab account can be tricky because you have to either direct deposit to your account, e-transfer/wire money from an account at a brick and mortar bank, use a cell phone app to deposit checks, or go to a brokerage office and write them a check from your regional bank. It's kind of a pain because their investment offices don't deal with cash at all (understandably so). Oh, you also get a tiny bit of interest on your checking account balance which is nice and access to a brokerage account in case you want to start dabbling in equities trading.

Haha, yeah. I only mentioned it because I thought she was engaged or something. :shock:

I've briefly looked into the two and Schwab does look like the better deal (no ridiculous monthly fees/minimum balances), but I'm gonna do some more research. Thanks guys!

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:03 pm

Real Madrid wrote:Can anyone else not log on to ASW?

I just checked and I'm able to get into the ASW without issue.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:25 pm

JoeMo wrote:
keg411 wrote:

I thought it was for some reason. Part of the UMich credit union. Swear I saw a bunch of LLM's signing up when I went to get my ID card at the beginning of school. But I could be wrong and could be mixing stuff up. Like I said, I just kept my own bank anyway.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:39 pm

keg411 wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
keg411 wrote:

I thought it was for some reason. Part of the UMich credit union. Swear I saw a bunch of LLM's signing up when I went to get my ID card at the beginning of school. But I could be wrong and could be mixing stuff up. Like I said, I just kept my own bank anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was more than one bank that did something like this. I'm planning on keeping mine as well.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:59 pm

I'm wondering what everyone is doing for housing next year. I didn't get a chance to tour the apartments set aside for the incoming class. From what I heard, they aren't spectacular but a lot of people are going to live there anyways for the convenience. Judging by the photos on ASW, Forest Place looks the nicest. Has anyone used the facebook group to find roommates?

YesNoMaybe

Postby YesNoMaybe » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:26 pm

Last edited by YesNoMaybe on Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:11 pm

YesNoMaybe wrote:Question, what did everyone wear to the alum receptions? Skirt & blouse okay?

Tuxedo t-shirt, FTW!!!

Business to business dress, for reality.

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:49 pm

If I make a deposit and have a scholarship, do I have to withdraw from other schools?

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:28 pm

Unagi wrote:If I make a deposit and have a scholarship, do I have to withdraw from other schools?

No. You can always double deposit if you sincerely have not made up your mind yet or still waiting for more information.

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:40 am

thelawyler wrote:
Unagi wrote:If I make a deposit and have a scholarship, do I have to withdraw from other schools?

No. You can always double deposit if you sincerely have not made up your mind yet or still waiting for more information.

Thanks!!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”