Michigan Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
35
34%
March 29-31
46
44%
Both
3
3%
Neither
20
19%
 
Total votes: 104

User avatar
Lady in Red
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:41 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby Lady in Red » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:39 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:
Do you anticipate changing dress sizes between now and when you think you'll need the clothes again? If you think you're going to have to replace your wardrobe anyway on account of that...then maybe let some of the things go?

As for me, I'm keeping everything. I'm a hoarder. A2 is warned.


Sometimes I lose weight; sometimes I gain it -- but the clothes generally fit the weight I always come back to. I'm tempted to keep them. You'll know I need to do laundry if I show up to class wearing a tea length skirt.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby keg411 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:22 pm

Lady in Red wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:
Do you anticipate changing dress sizes between now and when you think you'll need the clothes again? If you think you're going to have to replace your wardrobe anyway on account of that...then maybe let some of the things go?

As for me, I'm keeping everything. I'm a hoarder. A2 is warned.


Sometimes I lose weight; sometimes I gain it -- but the clothes generally fit the weight I always come back to. I'm tempted to keep them. You'll know I need to do laundry if I show up to class wearing a tea length skirt.


FWIW, I kept all of my work clothes. Also, sometimes people wear skirts/dresses to class (i.e. me when we got those glorious 70/80 degree days in March :lol:) so don't worry about it. Also, you will likely need them for your 1L/2L summer jobs anyway. Plus, you can always dress the blouses down by wearing jeans and sneakers and not doing "work" jewelry/make up.

User avatar
initech
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:10 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby initech » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:42 pm

Sent deposit. See everyone this fall.

Sammy841
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby Sammy841 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:08 pm

Not sure if anyone has any thoughts on this but does it seem that most grads go to NYC out of self-selection and more Biglaw jobs than any other reason? I ask because I would really like to work in DC post-graduation. I wonder if I should be concerned about the small number of Michigan grads that go to DC compared with UVA and DC schools?

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby JoeMo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:11 pm

Sammy841 wrote:Not sure if anyone has any thoughts on this but does it seem that most grads go to NYC out of self-selection and more Biglaw jobs than any other reason? I ask because I would really like to work in DC post-graduation. I wonder if I should be concerned about the small number of Michigan grads that go to DC compared with UVA and DC schools?


If you really will only be happy with DC then UVA or the other DC schools (GTown, GW) are probably better options. However, be warned that DC is really saturated and even coming out of UVA, GTown you might not be able to get anything. So, if I were in your position I'd find another market I was really comfortable with and go to Michigan based on the fact that the grads go everywhere. I.e. bid DC and Chicago or DC and New York...

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby JoeMo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:13 pm

Lady in Red wrote:I'm facing the unpleasant task of figuring out which clothes to take to Ann Arbor and which ones to give away. As a teacher, I have a professional wardrobe of dresses, skirts, and blouses, all of which will probably look too formal to wear to classes. The thought of giving away all of my nicest clothes makes me sad, but will I ever wear them again? I'm guessing that for interviews I should probably have suits, and I'm also guessing that my clothes might not be quite formal enough for future lawyering jobs. Or would my dresses and skirts be right for summer work? Since I live in Phoenix, most of my wardrobe is for warmer weather.

TLS, please make all my petty life decisions for me. :roll:


Take them all. I mean, I'll be in jeans and a t-shirt 99% of the time because that's just who I am but I am willing to bet that you wouldn't be out of place in a dress or skirt in class. I saw some people during ASW that were really dressed down and others that were more business casual. I don't think you should get rid of them. You'll always remember that one dress you gave away that you wish you hadn't. :D

User avatar
Campagnolo
Posts: 906
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby Campagnolo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:51 pm

Sammy841 wrote:Not sure if anyone has any thoughts on this but does it seem that most grads go to NYC out of self-selection and more Biglaw jobs than any other reason? I ask because I would really like to work in DC post-graduation. I wonder if I should be concerned about the small number of Michigan grads that go to DC compared with UVA and DC schools?


Try and ask a current student. Just like you, we have no idea what's going on.

Image
Hooray!

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby keg411 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 pm

Sammy841 wrote:Not sure if anyone has any thoughts on this but does it seem that most grads go to NYC out of self-selection and more Biglaw jobs than any other reason? I ask because I would really like to work in DC post-graduation. I wonder if I should be concerned about the small number of Michigan grads that go to DC compared with UVA and DC schools?


If you want DC BigLaw, you really really really need top grades/LR. DC is just ultra-competitive, and I know of zero people who are going there. I doubt this is going to be any different at UVA/GULC for BigLaw, though maybe at GULC you'll have networking opportunities at some of the smaller firms. If you have a lot more $$$ at GULC and are DC-or-bust, then go to GULC over Mich.

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:03 pm

keg411 wrote:
Sammy841 wrote:Not sure if anyone has any thoughts on this but does it seem that most grads go to NYC out of self-selection and more Biglaw jobs than any other reason? I ask because I would really like to work in DC post-graduation. I wonder if I should be concerned about the small number of Michigan grads that go to DC compared with UVA and DC schools?


If you want DC BigLaw, you really really really need top grades/LR. DC is just ultra-competitive, and I know of zero people who are going there. I doubt this is going to be any different at UVA/GULC for BigLaw, though maybe at GULC you'll have networking opportunities at some of the smaller firms. If you have a lot more $$$ at GULC and are DC-or-bust, then go to GULC over Mich.


Out of curiousity... why is DC so hard to break?

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby keg411 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:13 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
keg411 wrote:
Sammy841 wrote:Not sure if anyone has any thoughts on this but does it seem that most grads go to NYC out of self-selection and more Biglaw jobs than any other reason? I ask because I would really like to work in DC post-graduation. I wonder if I should be concerned about the small number of Michigan grads that go to DC compared with UVA and DC schools?


If you want DC BigLaw, you really really really need top grades/LR. DC is just ultra-competitive, and I know of zero people who are going there. I doubt this is going to be any different at UVA/GULC for BigLaw, though maybe at GULC you'll have networking opportunities at some of the smaller firms. If you have a lot more $$$ at GULC and are DC-or-bust, then go to GULC over Mich.


Out of curiousity... why is DC so hard to break?


It's just a popular place, probably because a lot of people who go to law school -- especially the very elite schools like HYS -- have long-term dreams of getting into politics or getting into federal government work long-term. There are also rumors that the hours aren't as bad overall, but I'm skeptical of that being the real reason. I mean, I don't think DC is totally unobtainable from the rest of the T14, but it's an uphill battle

Personally, I hate DC and the political scene. But I'm not most lawl students :lol:.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby JoeMo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:13 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
keg411 wrote:
Sammy841 wrote:Not sure if anyone has any thoughts on this but does it seem that most grads go to NYC out of self-selection and more Biglaw jobs than any other reason? I ask because I would really like to work in DC post-graduation. I wonder if I should be concerned about the small number of Michigan grads that go to DC compared with UVA and DC schools?


If you want DC BigLaw, you really really really need top grades/LR. DC is just ultra-competitive, and I know of zero people who are going there. I doubt this is going to be any different at UVA/GULC for BigLaw, though maybe at GULC you'll have networking opportunities at some of the smaller firms. If you have a lot more $$$ at GULC and are DC-or-bust, then go to GULC over Mich.


Out of curiousity... why is DC so hard to break?


Everyone from every top school wants to go to DC. Which is also why it's so hard to go there during the summers. The people at GULC/GW have a unique advantage in that they're able to do externships/internships in DC during the year which the rest of the top schools really can't do unless your school has a semester in DC program. But even for summers GULC/GW are competing with the rest of the schools for those very sought after summer positions. Add to this the fact that GW and GULC both have humongous classes and there simply aren't enough jobs so you have to be at the top of your class and have the right credentials to go there. Also, keep in mind that just about everyone in DC whether working in law/politics or not has a JD.

bannanagram
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:51 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby bannanagram » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:19 pm

keg411 wrote:
Sammy841 wrote:Not sure if anyone has any thoughts on this but does it seem that most grads go to NYC out of self-selection and more Biglaw jobs than any other reason? I ask because I would really like to work in DC post-graduation. I wonder if I should be concerned about the small number of Michigan grads that go to DC compared with UVA and DC schools?


If you want DC BigLaw, you really really really need top grades/LR. DC is just ultra-competitive, and I know of zero people who are going there. I doubt this is going to be any different at UVA/GULC for BigLaw, though maybe at GULC you'll have networking opportunities at some of the smaller firms. If you have a lot more $$$ at GULC and are DC-or-bust, then go to GULC over Mich.


I know several people going to DC. It is competitive, but not impossible. You need to be above median. On the positive, pretty much everyone at GW/GULC and to some extent UVA want DC. A lot of firms don't want to hire just GW/GULC grads, so you have the diversity thing going for you at Mich where not everyone is gunning for the market.

Sammy841
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby Sammy841 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:47 pm

bannanagram wrote:
keg411 wrote:
Sammy841 wrote:Not sure if anyone has any thoughts on this but does it seem that most grads go to NYC out of self-selection and more Biglaw jobs than any other reason? I ask because I would really like to work in DC post-graduation. I wonder if I should be concerned about the small number of Michigan grads that go to DC compared with UVA and DC schools?[/quote

I know several people going to DC. It is competitive, but not impossible. You need to be above median. On the positive, pretty much everyone at GW/GULC and to some extent UVA want DC. A lot of firms don't want to hire just GW/GULC grads, so you have the diversity thing going for you at Mich where not everyone is gunning for the market.


This is what I was wondering. If Michigan would give an edge over actual employment compared with UVA because DC firms don't just want grads from one place. I agree internships will be harder to find but I've spent the last few years working in policy and feel I may have some good connections. The raw numbers were just starting to make me nervous. Pre deposit jitters. Thanks!

User avatar
Lady in Red
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:41 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby Lady in Red » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:52 pm

Thanks, TLS; I'm bringing my clothes. :D

New question: Do I need to get a Michigan license plate for my car? Can I just keep my plate and registration through AZ? If so, are there disadvantages to doing so?

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby JoeMo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:59 pm

Lady in Red wrote:Thanks, TLS; I'm bringing my clothes. :D

New question: Do I need to get a Michigan license plate for my car? Can I just keep my plate and registration through AZ? If so, are there disadvantages to doing so?


Consensus seems to be it depends on your insurance carrier. I plan on keeping mine as is.

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:29 pm

If you have the ability to claim a permanent residence in another state, you should do so. Michigan has one of the highest rates for auto insurance in the country due to several factors, not the least of which is the MCCA. On any auto policy issued in the state, you are assessed the MCCA fee. Currently, the fee is $145 per vehicle. As of July 1, 2012, the fee will be $175 per vehicle. This fee is in addition to any premium that may be charged.

User avatar
Lady in Red
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:41 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby Lady in Red » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:50 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:If you have the ability to claim a permanent residence in another state, you should do so. Michigan has one of the highest rates for auto insurance in the country due to several factors, not the least of which is the MCCA. On any auto policy issued in the state, you are assessed the MCCA fee. Currently, the fee is $145 per vehicle. As of July 1, 2012, the fee will be $175 per vehicle. This fee is in addition to any premium that may be charged.


Ouch. Good to know. I own a home in Arizona, but my ex and I are trying to refinance it into her name so I can be free of that burden. If we're successful, I don't know how I'd claim permanent residence in AZ, unless it's enough to say I've lived here all my life, and the move to MI is just for school (both of which are true). I guess I'd better email Country and see what they say.

User avatar
moneybagsphd
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby moneybagsphd » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:54 pm

Anyone else going to a regional reception? I loved ASWII, but I think this will be more helpful in making a decision as it gives me the chance to talk to some Michigan alum who ended up in my target market.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby JoeMo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:33 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:Anyone else going to a regional reception? I loved ASWII, but I think this will be more helpful in making a decision as it gives me the chance to talk to some Michigan alum who ended up in my target market.


I went to the Boston one and it was awesome. I highly recommend it.

JF215
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:25 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby JF215 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:35 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:Anyone else going to a regional reception? I loved ASWII, but I think this will be more helpful in making a decision as it gives me the chance to talk to some Michigan alum who ended up in my target market.

Went to the DC event. Found it extremely useful for the very reason you mentioned.

User avatar
Haliburton
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:14 pm

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby Haliburton » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:02 am

Not on topic, but if anyone is still looking for housing, PM me! Especially if you'd like to live with some 2Ls who will have great advice/outlines/supplements for all your classes :)

PS - We have big rooms in a large house, 7 min walk from the law school

Edit- any sex or gender!

User avatar
Killingly
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby Killingly » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:38 pm

Choosing my uniqname and crazy password is going to be interesting.

planeride
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:22 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby planeride » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:43 pm

Killingly wrote:Choosing my uniqname and crazy password is going to be interesting.


I hated my UG username, a weird combination of name/initials that people always spelled wrong. No joke, I spent 20 minutes trying out different uniqnames to avoid this problem...

User avatar
Lady in Red
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:41 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby Lady in Red » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:57 am

Reasons to be happy right now:

1. It's Friday.

2. We're going to Michigan.

:D

User avatar
Killingly
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby Killingly » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:01 pm

planeride wrote:
Killingly wrote:Choosing my uniqname and crazy password is going to be interesting.


I hated my UG username, a weird combination of name/initials that people always spelled wrong. No joke, I spent 20 minutes trying out different uniqnames to avoid this problem...


Yeah, I was glad I finally found a normally looking name to use. If they say it's gonna be "widely published" then I want it too look good.

Oh, and you say you don't want us to choose words for our password? Well you can suck it, M!ch.IG@N.




Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest