Michigan Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
34%
March 29-31
44%
Both
3%
Neither
19%

Total votes: 104

skers

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby skers » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:05 pm

American_in_China wrote:Wasn't that class the one advised to bid heavily on Chicago, and then Chicago melted down during that summer and a ton of people got no offered? If so that's a one year abberation- big meltdown plus the recession hitting the market that was considered "safer" at the time meant so many grads got smacked.
You know, that would actually play out nice for us; if the numbers jump back up next year then Michigan will probably gain 2 or 3 points in the rankings metric and then jump back ahead of VPB. It's only 1 point behind VPB right now.
Anyways, it was a bad year; the employer ranking still has MIchigan at 4 or 5, so it should be fixed in the near future. It's not that firms like Michigan less; it was just a bad year. Statistical noise.

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:18 pm

Just got an email from a 1L who is working at my DREAM ORGANIZATION this summer about all the awesome gender stuff she is involved in on campus.

Tugging at my heartstrings, Michigan.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:43 pm

luxxe wrote:Just got an email from a 1L who is working at my DREAM ORGANIZATION this summer about all the awesome gender stuff she is involved in on campus.

+1, not gender stuff, but they found someone whose interests match mine. Michigan, you're a smoothie.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:44 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
luxxe wrote:Just got an email from a 1L who is working at my DREAM ORGANIZATION this summer about all the awesome gender stuff she is involved in on campus.

+1, not gender stuff, but they found someone whose interests match mine. Michigan, you're a smoothie.

I want an e-mail :(

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:05 pm

JoeMo wrote:
citygirl000 wrote:
BigRedMachine wrote:
sanetruth wrote:So the updated career services info is really interesting, and perhaps a little disheartening. Don't want to get into details myself, but this in particular is a pretty interesting and useful resource:

http://www.law.umich.edu/careers/classs ... stats.aspx

despite that the numbers decline from right to left almost without exception...

Does anyone know--or have a plausible theory as to--why Skadden numbers plummeted from 09-11 (11, 7, 0) and Wachtell doesn't seem to recruit at Mich at all? Pretty depressing biglaw # trend.

Does anyone know what happened to Kirkland & Ellis #s from 09 to 11?

The Kirkland & Ellis thing is weird but I wouldn't worry about it... I know of more than one 2013 person with a Kirkland & Ellis SA and they recruited pretty heavily this past summer. Keep in mind, 2011 was a LOT worse than things are now and was pretty much the bottom of the barrel. The BigLaw numbers should begin going up again for c/o 2012.

Yeah, I know at least 5 people summering at K+E this summer. I barely know any one in the class too.

planeride

Postby planeride » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:40 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:
American_in_China wrote:Wasn't that class the one advised to bid heavily on Chicago, and then Chicago melted down during that summer and a ton of people got no offered? If so that's a one year abberation- big meltdown plus the recession hitting the market that was considered "safer" at the time meant so many grads got smacked.
You know, that would actually play out nice for us; if the numbers jump back up next year then Michigan will probably gain 2 or 3 points in the rankings metric and then jump back ahead of VPB. It's only 1 point behind VPB right now.
Anyways, it was a bad year; the employer ranking still has MIchigan at 4 or 5, so it should be fixed in the near future. It's not that firms like Michigan less; it was just a bad year. Statistical noise.

"You think the no-offers are an endless line coming towards the Law Quad...wrong. They are only a few of them and they turn around and then return as if to make a long snake."

Sammy841

Postby Sammy841 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:14 pm

Can I ask what your dream organization is? I'm also interested in gender issues.

stupidq

Postby stupidq » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:49 pm

anyone looking for a place for the summer in AA? Current 1L looking to sublet a spacious studio on the 16th floor of a safe doorman bldg; 3-4 minute walk to campus (bldg is at william and maynard; super close to both all the stuff on state street and the school).

I'm looking for 800/mo, but will consider best offers.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:53 pm

New Dean Z blog here. Another good one.

ETA: Apologies if it's been posted already. Did not read back through this thread before posting.

cylon_clone

Postby cylon_clone » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:25 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:New Dean Z blog here. Another good one.

ETA: Apologies if it's been posted already. Did not read back through this thread before posting.

"During the first panel of our weekend, I mentioned, in response to a question from a student about post-graduate fellowships, that we were in the midst of wrapping up this big project, and that while I was loath to state with authority the number of fellowships we give in advance of the definitive data about to be posted, I could say with authority that at the time we reported our NALP data, only eight of our graduates were on post-graduate fellowships. Everyone else previously awarded a fellowship either had moved on to a new position, or was unemployed. Plain enough, right?

Apparently not, because that information was then relayed to Professor Campos—possibly by one of the prospective students who heard it, possibly by someone who had heard it from one of them (and this, ladies and gentlemen, is why we have rules against hearsay)—and understood to be a statement that we had only ever given out eight fellowships. That is quite certainly neither what I stated nor what I implied."

*sigh* who wants to bet it was a TLSer who "misunderstood" Dean Z? She was clear and didn't say or imply only eight total fellowships...to clear up any potential misunderstanding or misquote, she even said to check out the, then forthcoming detailed 3-yr employment data.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:36 pm

cylon_clone wrote:
*sigh* who wants to bet it was a TLSer who "misunderstood" Dean Z? She was clear and didn't say or imply only eight total fellowships...to clear up any potential misunderstanding or misquote, she even said to check out the, then forthcoming detailed 3-yr employment data.

There were quite a few people making a HUGE deal of this all weekend. However, I also heard what you heard. And she also said very clearly that the detailed information would be up within days.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:42 pm

starchinkilt wrote:Yeah, I know at least 5 people summering at K+E this summer. I barely know any one in the class too.

THIS. Although we know the same people :lol:.
Seriously just from people I generally know, 2013 looks NOTHING like 2011. It's night and day.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:59 am

keg411 wrote:
starchinkilt wrote:Yeah, I know at least 5 people summering at K+E this summer. I barely know any one in the class too.

THIS. Although we know the same people :lol:.
Seriously just from people I generally know, 2013 looks NOTHING like 2011. It's night and day.

I'm a 1L, but I imagine that if things were as bad as the 2011 numbers, the Law School would be a much less pleasant place right now. That many people staring down the barrel of unemployment wouldn't have the atmosphere we have right now.

Sammy841

Postby Sammy841 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:44 pm

Did anyone have any luck negotiating for money with a Vandy scholarship?

erikjc

Postby erikjc » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:50 pm

Sammy841 wrote:Did anyone have any luck negotiating for money with a Vandy scholarship?

They say they don't negotiate because they carefully determine merit awards during the admissions process. Not sure if they make any exceptions, but they seemed firm when I asked.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:51 pm

erikjc wrote:
Sammy841 wrote:Did anyone have any luck negotiating for money with a Vandy scholarship?

They say they don't negotiate because they carefully determine merit awards during the admissions process. Not sure if they make any exceptions, but they seemed firm when I asked.

Did you get merit money to begin with? I think they'll only reevaluate your file if they initially awarded you $0

erikjc

Postby erikjc » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:53 pm

Killingly wrote:
erikjc wrote:

Did you get merit money to begin with? I think they'll only reevaluate your file if they initially awarded you $0

I did, so that could be true.

Sammy841

Postby Sammy841 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:19 pm

I have zero merit aid and $60,000 at Vandy. They gave me a generous grant so I almost feel bad asking for more, but it would make my decision easier.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:45 pm

Sammy841 wrote:I have zero merit aid and $60,000 at Vandy. They gave me a generous grant so I almost feel bad asking for more, but it would make my decision easier.

Just ask. I did, and it worked in my favor.

wolverine2013

Postby wolverine2013 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:23 pm

Any summer starters or fall starters moving to Ann Arbor still looking for housing? I am looking to sublet a spacious room in a new house for $400 per month (May-August, dates flexible). PM me if you or anyone you know might be interested.

Edit: it is about a 10 minute walk from the law school

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:52 pm

Just a reminder, if you are considering applying to Phid, the deadline is Sunday. Application is here: http://www.phidhouse.org/apply.php

PM me if you have any questions :)

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:59 pm

Entchen wrote:Just a reminder, if you are considering applying to Phid, the deadline is Sunday. Application is here: http://www.phidhouse.org/apply.php

My SO really wanted to dance on the table at the Phid party. I did not. Cue her jumping up there. :lol:

Thoroughly enjoyed that place.

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:20 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
Entchen wrote:Just a reminder, if you are considering applying to Phid, the deadline is Sunday. Application is here: http://www.phidhouse.org/apply.php

My SO really wanted to dance on the table at the Phid party. I did not. Cue her jumping up there. :lol:

Thoroughly enjoyed that place.

I approve.

Of her. Not you. You should have danced on the table. Table dancing is fun.

Lady in Red

Postby Lady in Red » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:14 pm

I'm facing the unpleasant task of figuring out which clothes to take to Ann Arbor and which ones to give away. As a teacher, I have a professional wardrobe of dresses, skirts, and blouses, all of which will probably look too formal to wear to classes. The thought of giving away all of my nicest clothes makes me sad, but will I ever wear them again? I'm guessing that for interviews I should probably have suits, and I'm also guessing that my clothes might not be quite formal enough for future lawyering jobs. Or would my dresses and skirts be right for summer work? Since I live in Phoenix, most of my wardrobe is for warmer weather.

TLS, please make all my petty life decisions for me. :roll:

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:19 pm

Lady in Red wrote:I'm facing the unpleasant task of figuring out which clothes to take to Ann Arbor and which ones to give away. As a teacher, I have a professional wardrobe of dresses, skirts, and blouses, all of which will probably look too formal to wear to classes. The thought of giving away all of my nicest clothes makes me sad, but will I ever wear them again? I'm guessing that for interviews I should probably have suits, and I'm also guessing that my clothes might not be quite formal enough for future lawyering jobs. Or would my dresses and skirts be right for summer work? Since I live in Phoenix, most of my wardrobe is for warmer weather.

TLS, please make all my petty life decisions for me. :roll:

Do you anticipate changing dress sizes between now and when you think you'll need the clothes again? If you think you're going to have to replace your wardrobe anyway on account of that...then maybe let some of the things go?

As for me, I'm keeping everything. I'm a hoarder. A2 is warned.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”