Michigan Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
34%
March 29-31
44%
Both
3%
Neither
19%

Total votes: 104

thelaststraw05

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:08 pm

JustE wrote:Wait, is Duck Blowhard leaving now too again!?!?

Yes.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:10 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
JustE wrote:Wait, is Duck Blowhard leaving now too again!?!?

Yes.

wtf is going on over there in ann arbor? poor blowhard.

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:12 pm

Outing your classmates on TLS is not very collegial...

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:16 pm

Kurst wrote:Outing your classmates on TLS is not very collegial...

I didn't, he was outed on the last page. Additionally, The Duck had been bitching out admitted students on here about their taste in food. Also not very collegial.

Blowhard was incredibly helpful to me on the forums last year. He was patient and willing to explain things multiple times to multiple people. I don't remember him arguing that with people about their taste in food and towns. Blowhard last year and Blowhard this year have been two very different people.

My guess is that it would benefit Blowhard to take a break from TLS until after finals are over and then consider coming back when stress levels are lower.

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:34 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:

I didn't, he was outed on the last page. Additionally, The Duck had been bitching out admitted students on here about their taste in food. Also not very collegial.

Blowhard was incredibly helpful to me on the forums last year. He was patient and willing to explain things multiple times to multiple people. I don't remember him arguing that with people about their taste in food and towns. Blowhard last year and Blowhard this year have been two very different people.

My guess is that it would benefit Blowhard to take a break from TLS until after finals are over and then consider coming back when stress levels are lower.

ohsnap,jpg

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:06 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:

ohsnap,jpg

To both of you: <333. Also he outed himself the first time he posted under the alt.

JustE

Postby JustE » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:09 pm

:lol: yeah... I know... Was trying not to draw more attention to it. I guess that failed... :lol:

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:11 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Current and prospective students packed Rick's American Café—a place strangely devoid of chairs but rich with the smell of spilled beer—for the chance to see professors face off against each other, and against the winning student group. We won't name names of who enjoyed beers and shots, and we certainly wouldn't suggest that any of the faculty intentionally poured drinks on their colleagues' pants. That would be wrong.

As Mr. Wolverine and Not Yet Losing It started the final round, things were not looking good for the faculty. Not at all. Students answered that Rick Santorum is the presidential candidate with a "Google problem," and they correctly answered most of the questions in a category about cases that 1Ls learn. They incorrectly answered one of the 1L-case questions, giving the faculty a shot. As they struggled to come up with the answer, 3L Brian Chang—Mr. Wolverine himself—goaded them: "That's what happens when you go to Yale Law School, like the folks over there."

The faculty rallied, with correct answers about the country of Mitt Romney's Mormon Mission (France) and Snooki's real name (Nicole Polizzi). They went back and forth with correct answers about whether a clue was an organic food company or a cult. The final score, thanks in no small part to the strong performance by 2L Terrill Wilkins: Mr. Wolverine 2,600, Losing it 1,300.

Chang continued his taunting: "My math may be wrong—but it's not, because I'm Asian—but I think we have twice as many points as you do."

Anyone want to share stories from ASW II?

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:22 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:http://www.law.umich.edu/newsandinfo/releases/Pages/2012knowledgebowl.aspx

Current and prospective students packed Rick's American Café—a place strangely devoid of chairs but rich with the smell of spilled beer—for the chance to see professors face off against each other, and against the winning student group. We won't name names of who enjoyed beers and shots, and we certainly wouldn't suggest that any of the faculty intentionally poured drinks on their colleagues' pants. That would be wrong.

As Mr. Wolverine and Not Yet Losing It started the final round, things were not looking good for the faculty. Not at all. Students answered that Rick Santorum is the presidential candidate with a "Google problem," and they correctly answered most of the questions in a category about cases that 1Ls learn. They incorrectly answered one of the 1L-case questions, giving the faculty a shot. As they struggled to come up with the answer, 3L Brian Chang—Mr. Wolverine himself—goaded them: "That's what happens when you go to Yale Law School, like the folks over there."

The faculty rallied, with correct answers about the country of Mitt Romney's Mormon Mission (France) and Snooki's real name (Nicole Polizzi). They went back and forth with correct answers about whether a clue was an organic food company or a cult. The final score, thanks in no small part to the strong

performance by 2L Terrill Wilkins: Mr. Wolverine 2,600, Losing it 1,300.

Chang continued his taunting: "My math may be wrong—but it's not, because I'm Asian—but I think we have twice as many points as you do."

Anyone want to share stories from ASW II?

If only you knew

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:49 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:Anyone want to share stories from ASW II?

If only you knew

As a current student, I was around for much of it. I just always like to hear about people's ASW experiences and what they thought of my beloved school.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:52 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:

If only you knew

As a current student, I was around for much of it. I just always like to hear about people's ASW experiences and what they thought of my beloved school.

And as a current student who spent all of it reading and outlining for tax :lol:, I like to hear them as well.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:56 pm

keg411 wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:

If only you knew

And as a current student who spent all of it reading and outlining for tax :lol:, I like to hear them as well.

Bah. You shouldn't worry so much. Finals are like... oh shit.

sandwiches5000

Postby sandwiches5000 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:55 pm

I'll share some stories from ASW II!! I got here the day before the events started and walked around checking out sublets near/on Packard. I found a great place about seven min from the LS for the summer. Some 2 and 3Ls who showed me their places were extraordinarily friendly and helpful. One student took me around the library and talked to me for about an hour. Then, that night I grabbed drinks with some of the people ITT. Hehehhhh. The drinks were incredibly cheap and everyone was super friendly.

As for the LS events, I really enjoyed the classes and the overall atmosphere of the school. It was interesting mingling with faculty and I felt like any questions I had were answered between all of the panels and such. I got to talk to both of the profs I will have in the summer at length, too. I was pretty sure I was going to choose Michigan over GULC but now I'm positive I will. This is because the beer is so cheap and there is basically only one gay club so there won't be too many distractions. And the whole Michigan is awesome thing.

The negatives: I only talked to dean z once very briefly, the housing designated for LS students for next year is blah and overpriced, the food served was ehhh, and they ran out of guacamole at taco night.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:12 pm

Here is my take:

It was really cool getting to meet actual TLSers in real life and everyone (not just TLSers) was pretty awesome. Everybody was friendly and helpful. I ran into a current student while walking around the campus and she took the time to show me around the new law building and talk to me about her experience with the school.

The thing I liked most: The accessibility and "down-to-earthness" of the faculty. Every faculty member I spoke with was genuinely interested in speaking with me and gave candid answers to the questions I had. They all seemed very approachable and were filled with advice that I found incredibly helpful. As an older student, I felt more like I was talking to a friend than a professor, which I did not get the feel for at any other school. The professors were all incredibly accomplished but they surely did not take themselves seriously.

As for the things I didn't like: As far as the school itself, there wasn't anything that I didn't like. The Preview Weekend, however, had a few things I did not like. Some of the events were poorly organized (the faculty reception is a great idea, but they had everyone packed into a room that was way too small and it was difficult to hear anything and difficult to move around), the food that was provided left something to be desired, and Friday was very busy and they probably should moved some of the events from Friday to Thursday so people weren't rushed from place to place without any real time to relax. However, none of what I am complaining with regard to Preview Weekend should dissuade anyone from attending, as my complaints are solely for the organization of the event, not the substance.

All in all, I think it would be difficult for someone who is on the fence to show up to the school and leave their visit still on the fence. The school is amazing, the faculty are amazing, and the facilities and curriculum are unbelievable.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:34 am

I ended up missing a lot of the events on Thursday because my phone died and I was trying to get my girlfriend into Ann Arbor. I did get to go to Rick's in time for the final Knowledge Bowl round. The faculty dancing with the students before sudden death was one of the best experiences of the weekend. Then I drank so much that I got very, very sick. :oops:

Friday I was so hungover that I had trouble seeing straight through Primus' class, and had to go outside for some fresh air during Clark's mock class. I was better for the informational meetings, and my favorite by far was the academia and clerkships presentation (I really really liked both Prescott and Larsen). That presentation was another highlight of the weekend. I was feeling pretty ASW'd out at that point, so the girlfriend and I went for the 5:30 tour of the law school for her to take some pictures. It was fun, and I love the law library. We went shopping, I got my University of Michigan Law window cling, and then I made it up to my hosts and girlfriend by playing DD for the night. Packed out my car and headed to the Outlaws event and then to Phid party. Absolute awesome time despite my sobriety. I was feeling tired because of the previous night, so I forced us into an exit a quarter to two, I think. Passed out.

Today, I didn't go to any of the closing remarks or anything. I house hunted and drove back home.

The greatest thing about Michigan this weekend was the faculty. I'm not sure if they just brought out all the personable and extroverted ones, but they were all really memorable. I'm absolutely ecstatic to be at a school with these professors.

I only ate one meal provided by Michigan—the taco/burrito dinner. Felt bad for the current student that wanted to talk because I was super tired and I'm going to Michigan already. Also I'm sort of shocked that only tacos/a burrito was offered. Seemed like there could've been more variety, but it wasn't really a big deal.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:52 am

Last edited by JoeMo on Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cylon_clone

Postby cylon_clone » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:47 pm

They've been drinking the happy Kool-Aid up in Michigan. Seriously, every student and teacher that spoke talked about how great the school was and how happy they were after choosing Michigan over other peer institutions.

I was a little skeptical, but after spending a few days in A2, came to know a little of what they meant. I was approached by several UMich law students - a number of whom weren't on official duty as student ASW ambassadors - and they were all nice, informative, polite...and happy.

ASW info sessions were long and often boring - but that's not exclusive to UMich.
The faculty reception was too crowded and loud.
Food was okay, can't complain. Unlike other ASWs, I actually had a desire to eat it.
And, if the alcohol was expensive at certain places in A2, at least it was strong and not watered down... :wink:

Still haven't decided yet, but I did walk away liking Michigan more than I thought I would.

UnamSanctam

Re: SIXIGAN! Law Class of 2015

Postby UnamSanctam » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:27 pm

The filter on M.ichigan is obnoxious.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:30 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:The filter on M.ichigan is obnoxious.

Retake.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:25 pm

Loved it.

JustE

Postby JustE » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:29 pm

I'm guessing this is the April Fools joke ITT?...

va323

Postby va323 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:36 pm

Just leaving the preview weekend...unfortunately i arrived at 2 am on friday but still enjoyed the alumni session and hitting the bars saturday night...also locked down a 1 bdrm at hoover...anyone else living there? Thought the forum 2 bdrms were real nice too

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:30 pm

JustE wrote:I'm guessing this is the April Fools joke ITT?...

Oh, that's totally what it is. Good catch. I forgot it was April 1st.

Marigold22

Postby Marigold22 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:06 pm

Can anyone give a rundown on the buildings reserved for 1Ls? Pros/cons anything at all will be helpful! Post here or PM please!

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:11 pm

Marigold22 wrote:Can anyone give a rundown on the buildings reserved for 1Ls? Pros/cons anything at all will be helpful! Post here or PM please!

Overpriced but worth it for the convenience, IMO. Just for 1L at least

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”